Votes: 197 19.1%
  • Cable modem

Votes: 419 40.6%
  • DSL

Votes: 346 33.6%
  • Dial-up modem (56k or slower)

Votes: 69 6.7%

• Total voters
Heres mine guys, some of your speeds are incredible....

5867093139.png

atm I have the lowest fiber package, of 100UP/100DL, and by wireless i normally have around 50+ both ways.
can't post a Screenshhot atm since I'm at work

Settled into a new property. My provider offers 300Mbps to my area but it's nearly twice the cost of 200mbps unrestricted, so I went with that instead.

5898499881.png

I am on TPG now with FTTB NBN.
12Mbps down, 1Mbps is the plan I am on and this is what I get.
5909232656.png

Had to test on a Melbourne server as the local ones were offline.
156956945.png

My connection is a few years old now, have considered upgrading but not got round to checking the latest deals yet:

5988156409.png

My speeds paying for 45/6 internet on wifi.
6053737331.png

I'm unable to test wired speeds until I get my new PC, so hopefully I'll be able to get a few more mbps on wired.

What am I looking at?

And the first time i tested it the ping was 250ms and it got stuck halfway through.

My internet speeds in France are terrible. Can't even do Share Play on PS4.

I got 31MS for Ping, 3MBPS for downloads and 0.85MBPS for uploads.

My internet speeds in France are terrible. Can't even do Share Play on PS4.

I got 31MS for Ping, 3MBPS for downloads and 0.85MBPS for uploads.

Actually, comparing mine to a few other's, it's not that bad. Still terrible though. Guess it's because I mostly live in the French countryside.

@stonesfan129 it's only a problem when there's a cap to download speeds. A 40MB thing with a 5KB/S cap takes fourteen hours but a 250MB file with no caps takes 20 minutes, during which I can do other things, like praying for better internet...

Last edited:
Oh wow how did I never see this thread. This actually super interesting to see.

On first sight I think it shows really well how awful Internet speeds are world wide.

I'm also not quite as perplexed anymore why there often is so much lag while playing online. And often seemingly "unexplainable".

I've been playing with people from Peru without any big problems yet I've played with people from my own country (DE) and "5bars" and the lag was absolutely terrible.

What I've also noticed on a glance some people have fast speeds, but hundreds of milliseconds latency...

It's almost impossible to program a game that serves all these differences well I suppose.

This is from 1 and a half years ago - and if I recall correctly it goes actually over several years so approx 2010 -2015
Note I first had DSL (which looks stable) then I had "ultra fast" cable which was totally awful, then I had even faster "ipv6 lite?" which should be illegal imo as they don't tell you this and you're actually sharing 1ip address with several hundred other people (if I understand correctly) which opens up a whole big can of legal complications. And of course makes you lag like hell. At least it was very expensive so I guess I shouldn't complain. ;)

Well anyways I have DSL again now and it's actually pretty stable but far from lag free (which is not necessarily dependent on my own connection obviously) my ping to Google is usually about 16ms, otherwise around 20ms speed is 50 dl 20 ul.

Last edited:
On first sight I think it shows really well how awful Internet speeds are world wide.

I'm also not quite as perplexed anymore why there often is so much lag while playing online. And often seemingly "unexplainable".

I've been playing with people from Peru without any big problems yet I've played with people from my own country (DE) and "5bars" and the lag was absolutely terrible.

What I've also noticed on a glance some people have fast speeds, but hundreds of milliseconds latency...

It's almost impossible to program a game that serves all these differences well I suppose.

I agree, my Internet speeds say BAD all over them but online games always run very well (except large lobbies which I usually don't play in).

I agree, my Internet speeds say BAD all over them but online games always run very well (except large lobbies which I usually don't play in).
Yeah this is a weird phenomenon I have been experiencing for a while.
10 years ago... I used to have DSL with 3.5dl and 1.5ul and I didn't have any issues playing online, it was "fine". You don't need fast internet speeds for playing online anyways, latency is much more important and deciding factor.

Since then they changed how the internet gets distributed here, it's called ADSL now and quite honestly, while speeds are fast, online gaming has been mostly awful.

What's weird, I've been checking this regularly, I first had a synchronization of 100dl 40ul even though I only got 50/20 effectively (not sure how that works technically).

And there weren't issues at all.

Unfortunately this got "changed" by my isp after a month(to 50/20, so half the bandwidth for synchronization) or so and since then it's been really, really awful.

Of course isp refuses to change it back.

It's an endless circle of up and down here. :lol

TB
Unless you're only looking at recent posts, you have to keep in mind how old this thead is. My first post was ten and a half years ago with a staggering 1.5/.5 connection. Fast forward to today and I have 70/5 that is cheaper.
Yes , I'm aware and that's also why this thread is so interesting, and I admit my comment was partly inspired by seeing 241ms! latency on this very page. :lol But not only because of that, similar to my own "connection speed history" there's everything between snail pace and really fast.

Then you have the different protocols like ipv4 and ipv6, less than ideal main distribution points worldwide...

I'm not an expert but I did some research over the years and of course fiber would be preferable for everyone, but it's a distant dream more so than a possibility in our life time I think ...

My view might be a little narrow minded, because I really love playing online and in recent years it somehow got worse not better. :lol:
Even though we have a "fake" fiber connection here. (made a mistake in my previous post, it's VDSL, not ADSL).

A thread like this with a pretty big collection of different internet speed test results, is like a goldmine, you rarely see that.

Even though, I don't really know what to do with all this information. :P

EDIT

GSM
LTE (no data cap)
LTE
Wifi
Wifi
Wifi

LTE latency is brutal. :lol

Last edited:
Back