Your thoughts about "standard" vs. "premium"

• Thread starter LP670-4 SV
  • 10,183 comments

What would you have rather had PD do about "premium" vs. "standard" cars

• Keep everthing the same

Votes: 324 19.1%
  • Release the game later with all the cars "premium"

Votes: 213 12.6%
  • Not do "premium" cars at all but focus on other features i.e. dynamic weather

Votes: 134 7.9%
  • DLC packs after the release

Votes: 844 49.8%
  • Wished PD didn't get are hopes up, lol

Votes: 180 10.6%

• Total voters
For what it's worth, I could care less about cockpit view.

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if people weren't raising hell over this. For PD to merely touch up GT4 models to HD standards, after who knows how many years of development and touting GT5P as what to expect...I feel deceived.

Honestly, I just want the game, but all this nonsense about premium models and the differences with them raises a lot of questions. For example, if we finally get body kits/mods, will only the premium models be able to get them, since they are more detailed?

I'd prefer about 500 cars that are equal in their level of detail.

I'm with you man, why didn't they use the GTHD models instead, so what if there wouldn't be that many, at least they'd look like they were created for a next gen system. Why bother, cut the 800 POS and add more premium as DLC for the next 3 years.

ioq7fk.gif

GT5 "Bumper Cam" is the windscreen.

I think V8 Superstars: Next Challenge has the cam you're talking about. Very low at bumper height.
Not too sure about that, but if you're right, it's still in the middle, which is unrealistic unless you're in the McLaren F1.

You'll love this, trust me:

4711613942_ff986b88a1_b.jpg

4711652050_67f24928c4.jpg

Wait.... is that first picture of the prototype a 'standard' car from GT5?? It really does look just like GT4 if that is the case. So, from my reading of the posts in this thread......this is because of a time constraint that we receive only 200 premiums and the rest look like that?

While I'll probably still use the 'bumper cam' instead of cockpit, it kinda stinks that five years still wasn't enough time to make all the cars look like that Benz.

Edit: Sorry, was trying to get that first pic in gtone339's post a couple above mine.......That's the one I'm talking about looking like GT4

I wouldn't care about the cockpit view because I barely use it. I care about standard cars because it gives me a huge selection for photomode. Having that blackout windows and poor texture quality is just have no big difference from GT4.

I'm with you man, why didn't they use the GTHD models instead, so what if there wouldn't be that many, at least they'd look like they were created for a next gen system. Why bother, cut the 800 POS and add more premium as DLC for the next 3 years.

Agreed. I didn't buy my PS3 and wait 6 years so I could play GT4HD. It would have been nice if they had marketed GT5 as having 200 cars and a separate throwback/classic game mode using cars from previous GTs.

Agreed. I didn't buy my PS3 and wait 6 years so I could play GT4HD. It would have been nice if they had marketed GT5 as having 200 cars and a separate throwback/classic game mode using cars from previous GTs.

The topic has sparked up quite a bit and is bothering a large group of GT fans.
You got the same hopes. Please cut 800 'standard' models or keep away from GT5 and release it in another form.

Maybe this is a money making tactic??

Like they will turn some or all of the 800 into premiums and put them up as dlc for a price, like turn 10 car packs.

Like they give us 200 exquisite first class cars that are perfection to wet our appetites then once we experience them we would be yearning to have them in most of our favorite cars, and of course our favorite cars are from the previous gt versions and yes you guessed it, all of them are standard cars. i know i would pay for hundreds of standard cars to become premium. its big money for them.

Sorry to pd if they read this, im not saying you are deliberately giving us only 200 top cars for money making scheme, im just saying its a possibility

The topic has sparked up quite a bit and is bothering a large group of GT fans.
You got the same hopes. Please cut 800 'standard' models or keep away from GT5 and release it in another form.

I think it would have worked very well as a classic game mode included with GT5. Like on the main screen, you could select Arcade, Gran Turismo mode (new GT5 cars), or Gran Turismo Classic mode (old GT cars). I would have really been into that, as opposed to expecting 1000 cars of (at least) somewhat comparable quality. It just really pollutes the game for me, having 2 different model detail standards.

I think it would have worked very well as a classic game mode included with GT5. Like on the main screen, you could select Arcade, Gran Turismo mode (new GT5 cars), or Gran Turismo Classic mode (old GT cars). I would have really been into that, as opposed to expecting 1000 cars of (at least) somewhat comparable quality. It just really pollutes the game for me, having 2 different model detail standards.

Yeah I can't see standard and premium cars running on the same track. I also have a feeling of being annoyed of seeing standard and premium cars in the same car dealer. I don't want to see a brand
new game polluted by cars in a different form.

Yeah I can't see standard and premium cars running on the same track. I also have a feeling of being annoyed of seeing standard and premium cars in the same car dealer. I don't want to see a brand
new game polluted by cars in a different form.

Agreed. It doesn't make sense either, how a 69 Camaro Z28 is premium, but the 69 Camaro SS is a standard model. Makes no sense, at all.

To those who voted for "Wished PD didn't get are hopes up"

PD stated OVER A YEAR AGO that there would be Standard Cars and Premium cars.

PD didn't build our hopes up, we did.

Wrong, PD did this by ONLY showing screenshots and videos of premium cars for the past 4 years, claiming it as representation of the final game. Not just 20% of it.

Wrong, PD did this by ONLY showing screenshots and videos of premium cars for the past 4 years, claiming it as representation of the final game. Not just 20% of it.
Exactly. This project has suffered due to bad marketing and decision making.

Exactly. Even when the Standard/Premium cars WERE announced over a year ago, there wasn't any straight explanation of what features would separate the two up until only a few days ago.

Go on the News page, the twitter transcript even features people asking questions about the Interior Views on standard cars.

Ultimately, it doesn't bother me. I was happy with the shiny-plastic RC Cars of GT2 (what they look like now compared to GT5's graphics) and I'll be plenty happy now with more cars to play with and better exteriors.

The thing that I am most upset about is the fact that the standard cars look so sub-standard. PD could have rebuilt the models to at least the LOD in GTHD, those cars looks amazing and leagues better than these High resolution GT4 cars. I would have been fine if the cars looked like that, but no they basically just dumped these fugly GT4 cars into a high resolution GT5 graphic engine. They look like crap wrapped in polish, I will still purchase and enjoy the hell out of this game, but I can and will vent my dislike for what PD has done with this side of GT5. I'm not sure they should even allow Premium and standard cars in the same race, the cars don't even look to be scaled to their correct sizes compared to the premiums, the premiums cars look bigger too(might be my eyes). Oh well roll on Nov. 2.

Agreed there. PD did say months ago some cars won't have cockpit/interior & everybody suddenly made the excuse that it was a poor translation, or "Oh no, every car will have cockpit view, it just won't be as detailed".

The forum only has itself to blame for going, "Blah, blah, blah, I'm not listening! It's really there!"

Yes and they very much said how standard would not have damage and premium would and that's all they said about the difference.

They didn't bring up anything else and they haven't up until now even hinted that standard cars would be severely less quality than what we have been seeing this whole time. Every screenshot and video has been premium only.

And then who else do we have to blame?

The very people who are complaining so much now about the complaining...

The GTP forum...

Every time critical thought kicked in the GT fanboys around here quickly and angrily quashed it stating factually how none of our fears were legit, we should just wait until later and we would see and none of the rational and logical arguments behind why things weren't shaping up where valid.

Honestly GTP... who hates your whiners and moaners... you did this to yourself as much as PD or anyone.

Last edited:
Yeah DLC could be good, but unfortunately it will mean a couple of cars with interiors which I don't want. And I certainly wouldn't want to pay for the DLC.

What I want is patches to improve the looks of cars on the outside. That way they can improve probably twice as many in the same time frame.

Yes and they very much said how standard would not have damage and premium would and that's all they said about the difference.

They didn't bring up anything else and they haven't up until now even hinted that standard cars would be severely less quality than what we have been seeing this whole time. Every screenshot and video has been premium only.

And then who else do we have to blame?

The very people who are complaining so much now about the complaining...

The GTP forum...

Every time critical thought kicked in the GT fanboys around here quickly and angrily quashed it stating factually how none of our fears were legit, we should just wait until later and we would see and none of the rational and logical arguments behind why things weren't shaping up where valid.

Honestly GTP... who hates your whiners and moaners... you did this to yourself as much as anyone.

This is pretty much what I was miffed about the bolded selection. PD never mentioned that the standard cars would be actually GT4 assets with a bit of GT5 saran wrapping on it. Say what you will those cars will look horrendous next to the premium cars, heck we have yet to see a video/photo or anything of the like depicting premium and standard being raced together. If they were going to go this way all this time, they should have kept the original 20+ car fields from that GT Visions and used these same GT4 assets and add damage, better lighting and new physics engine and call it GT PS3. Brought it out when FM2 had recently come out and we would still be playing it now and not given a rats ass. GT5 could have not been announced until this year with these visuals and nothing but premium cars over 200 and I would have been more than satisfied. Kaz made the mistake of showing us Prologue in the first place, GT Visions could have held all of us at bay with the standard damage model and physics model, along with the lighting and new tracks. 20+ car fields on La Sarthe, who in here would be crying about that?
Too late now, here we have basically two games in one and it feels like you have been led on. GT5 Prologue basically said this is just a taste of GT5, and now we see what the rest of the gumbo is made of and while it will still fill many bellies, no doubt it will leave a lasting impression that will not be forgotten and not in a nice way either.

Agreed there. PD did say months ago some cars won't have cockpit/interior & everybody suddenly made the excuse that it was a poor translation, or "Oh no, every car will have cockpit view, it just won't be as detailed".

The forum only has itself to blame for going, "Blah, blah, blah, I'm not listening! It's really there!"

That is because it is shocking to know the disparities between premium and standard models. I actually still do not believe that difference will be day and night. I think standard models will be reasonable like other racing games. Only when game get released. I will judge it :P

I just feel with the 200 premium cars PD was giving us a treat and a tatse for the up and coming GT's. KY said him self making the 200 premium cars was a tough task. This man and his team worked hard as hell to at least give us a promising look for GT6 by putting these gorgeous Premium cars in. He even stated that the graphics are like PS4 type. They easy could of gave us all standard cars. Its like this "KY speaking." " I know i cant give you guys 1000 premium cars even though i wish i could, but i will make as many as i can so you guys can get a glimpse of the direction GT is going"

PD definitely step their game up with GT5 any smart/mature person can see that just by looking at the new feature list, which some feature have not been listed yet. After reading many post on GTP about this situation i have came to a harsh realization that many people on this forum are very immature. Bring on GT5:tup:

I love those standard cars (the models lots of 90's JDM), but i'm not gonna use them if they look and sound like GT4 and dont have a interieur view's or good damage!

That's how I feel. There is so many high/top end cars in the Premium list but all the classic and lower end Japanese cars don't get the same treatment.

I am gonna miss testing out all the different cars. I hate how a lot of the premium cars are identical race cars/production cars or high end exotics.
Its not whining or being immature its just showing how we feel about the whole standard car concept. They just threw in older ports just to have
1000 cars.

Quality > Quantity anyday. Don't get me wrong this game is golden and we can't assume things about it but the concept is just silly.

Indeed.

Back