Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,940 views
What crossover is doing that bad these days?

I wish they'd get around to building one of these on Zeta:

55568_00mg.jpg

I seriously doubt they'll do another 4WD Commodore for a while, as the Adventura, the HSV version of that (Avalanche), and the HSV Coupe 4
27HSV_m_m.jpg


All failed amazingly.
 
There are also plans for GMC to get their own version of the Holden Crewman.


Strange considering Holden has previously stated that Crewman will not return.
 
I have a solution for the CAFE crap, make the RWD Impala...

KILL ALL THE STUPID FREAKING SUV'S!

Stupid Americans, a Tahoe is not a status symbol, you don't look cool in a big mini-van/pickup hybrid, and if you're using it to commute to work, you clearly aren't using the space.

I blame the SUV buyers for the death of the RWD Impala, damn them all.

I feel a RWD V8 car is just about as inefficient as a truck or SUV. Right now we do not need cars with 400hp 6.0L V8's, we need cars that are still fun to drive but offer pretty good fuel mileage as well. If everything goes ok the Chevy Volt will fit into this category.
 
Strange considering Holden has previously stated that Crewman will not return.

Hmmm, weird. GMC is slated to have their version debut in New York pretty soon here, GM saying it is a "global design study." We'll see how it works out...
 
That Adventura, though, could be a good alternative to, oh, that lifted Subary Legacy...
 
It could easily be replicated on the Epsilon II chassis as well, which personally speaking, I find rather surprising that Saab hasn't done something similar yet. A 9-3 SportCombi with a raised suspension and off-road(ish) tires seems like a good idea. Thing is, I have no idea if it would sell well or not. They'd have to price it low and make it just as capable, if not moreso, than the Legacy Outback...
 
I feel a RWD V8 car is just about as inefficient as a truck or SUV. Right now we do not need cars with 400hp 6.0L V8's, we need cars that are still fun to drive but offer pretty good fuel mileage as well.

I disagree on both points. Its well documented that the LS2+T56 gets very good MPG for what it is. And I'd like you (not so much specifically but generally) not to dictate what you think everyone else should want or need. If I buy G8 w/400BHP and it still gets around 24MPG city and close to 30MPG highway I call that an excellent bargain. You get decent enough fuel economy and you get as much or more space than some frizzy hatchback that is a plus. I love hatchbacks--and I've owned my fair share of them--but I feel that if you can get reasonable economy and space and performance AND extra displacement that is quite exceptional.
 
JCE
I disagree on both points. Its well documented that the LS2+T56 gets very good MPG for what it is. And I'd like you (not so much specifically but generally) not to dictate what you think everyone else should want or need. If I buy G8 w/400BHP and it still gets around 24MPG city and close to 30MPG highway I call that an excellent bargain. You get decent enough fuel economy and you get as much or more space than some frizzy hatchback that is a plus. I love hatchbacks--and I've owned my fair share of them--but I feel that if you can get reasonable economy and space and performance AND extra displacement that is quite exceptional.

Except I doubt you'll see numbers that good. Ever. MPG wise for that engine. Especially if you actually use much of that power with any frequency.

Good gas mileage is high 30's. Good gas mileage for what something is does not mean good gas mileage overall.

Power does not equal fun.
 
Except I doubt you'll see numbers that good. Ever. MPG wise for that engine. Especially if you actually use much of that power with any frequency.
Which can therefore be applied to any car, so what is your point?

Good gas mileage is high 30's. Good gas mileage for what something is does not mean good gas mileage overall.
So why aren't people yelling at the Germans, then? These get better mileage then the German sedans and similar mileage to some of the Japanese cars, so I don't understand why they are ignored whenever it is time to go on a "fuel mileage is the most important thing ever" speech and only American cars are on the rack.

Power does not equal fun.
Difference of opinion, really. I happen to agree, but not everyone has the same opinion of driving fun.
 
JCE
I disagree on both points. Its well documented that the LS2+T56 gets very good MPG for what it is. And I'd like you (not so much specifically but generally) not to dictate what you think everyone else should want or need. If I buy G8 w/400BHP and it still gets around 24MPG city and close to 30MPG highway I call that an excellent bargain. You get decent enough fuel economy and you get as much or more space than some frizzy hatchback that is a plus. I love hatchbacks--and I've owned my fair share of them--but I feel that if you can get reasonable economy and space and performance AND extra displacement that is quite exceptional.

How was I dictating? I pretty sure the first part of my statement started with "I feel". But really explain to me why one needs 400hp in a street driven car when you can have just as much fun, if not more, in a car with less power. I think the Lotus Elise is still the best example of this.

Also where did I say anything about a hatchback? I can think of plenty of small sedans that are fun as well. Take the new Lancer, I drove it and it was plenty of fun and had pretty good fuel mileage. As Cody pointed out power does not equal fun...I actually believe it makes a car less fun. I've driven my fair share of Camaros and Trans Ams and they just do not do it for me because they are more or less worthless in my eyes. Other then straight line speed I can not see much use for them personally, they fit nothing, have no back seat and get poor fuel mileage (unless driven easy, which defeats the point of the car).

The price of oil is not going down and there are more and more people on this planet that will be consuming it, so really the last thing the automotive world needs right now is a high horsepowered car that gets poor fuel mileage. Even 24mpg is poor, hell my Cooper's 35mpg isn't what I would consider outstanding for the size of it's engine. If you some how disagree that the price of oil and consequentially the price gas is rising I will be more then happy to entertain your reasoning why. If you do not disagree then why do you think cars are fine getting a rather poor 24 mpg is acceptable? This is an honest question.
 
How was I dictating? I pretty sure the first part of my statement started with "I feel". But really explain to me why one needs 400hp in a street driven car when you can have just as much fun, if not more, in a car with less power. I think the Lotus Elise is still the best example of this.
The Lotus Elise is also a completely different car with a completely purpose and a completely different philosophy. Point out how many family sedans weigh under 3000 pounds and go anything resembling fast or are anything resembling fun.

As Cody pointed out power does not equal fun...I actually believe it makes a car less fun.
Which is fine, but not everyone agrees with that philosophy.

The price of oil is not going down and there are more and more people on this planet that will be consuming it, so really the last thing the automotive world needs right now is a high horsepowered car that gets poor fuel mileage.
And if the people are still buying SUVs and trucks en masse, I doubt they really care at the moment. The last thing the automotive world really needs is to throw away billions of dollars of development dollars without even seeing if a car will sell simply because people don't want it sold.

If you do not disagree then why do you think cars are fine getting a rather poor 24 mpg is acceptable? This is an honest question.
Because a FWD Honda Accord with 2/3rds the power gets less? If you want to say that the car is poor overall, that's great, but remember the Lotus Elise (a car with 1/4th the power and 1/2 the weight and an undoubtedly more aerodynamic shape) only manages 23MPG. Having performance means you don't get fuel mileage 99% of the time. The fact that it gets the mileage it does is commendable, and I'm sorry if you don't see that as the fact it is.
That being said, I don't want this to turn into another fight, so I think we should just agree to disagree.
 
The Lotus Elise is also a completely different car with a completely purpose and a completely different philosophy. Point out how many family sedans weigh under 3000 pounds and go anything resembling fast.

I guess my statement was a bit confusing now that I read it. I wasn't talking about family sedans, but rather just making an observation on how you can have fun with less power.

And if the people are still buying SUVs and trucks en masse, I doubt they really care at the moment. The last thing the automotive world really needs is to throw away billions of dollars of development dollars without even seeing if a car will sell simply because people don't want it sold.

Buy trucks and SUV's all you want, just do not bitch about the cost of fuel when it hits $4.00 per gallon this summer.


Because a FWD Honda Accord with 2/3rds the power gets less? If you want to say that the car is poor overall, that's great, but remember the Lotus Elise (a car with 1/4th the power and 1/2 the weight and an undoubtedly more aerodynamic shape) only manages 23MPG. Having performance means you don't get fuel mileage 99% of the time. The fact that it gets the mileage it does is commendable, and I'm sorry if you don't see that as the fact it is.

What do I not see? I do not care where the car comes from, I do not care what manufacture makes the car. Poor fuel mileage is unacceptable no matter what. And with engineering you could have both performance and fuel mileage...hell the Audi R8 TDI showed that.
 
I wasn't talking about family sedans, but rather just making an observation on how you can have fun with less power.
Which was exactly my point. If you want fun in anything resembling a practical vehicle, it is going to be heavy and/or powerful.

Buy trucks and SUV's all you want, just do not bitch about the cost of fuel when it hits $4.00 per gallon this summer.
I won't. But you have to realize that people have been whining about SUV fuel economy for half a decade, and they still buy the things. Most people (in America especially) are either don't care or are too stupid to think ahead.

What do I not see? I do not care where the car comes from, I do not care what manufacture makes the car. Poor fuel mileage is unacceptable no matter what.
But this car, even if it only gets 24mpg, in comparison to its performance/size competitors, will get outstanding mileage. In comparison to cars in its sales class, 24 MPG is about in the middle. When you put an engine in it that isn't a 400 BHP V8, it may even be near the top.

And with engineering you could have both performance and fuel mileage...hell the Audi R8 TDI showed that.
We don't even know what fuel mileage the R8 TDI will have (though it will probably be better), or whether they will even make it. Besides, diesels in anything, much less sports cars, are a very acquired taste Almost all of the time a petrol versions are more fun, no matter how much better the diesel engine may be. The Italians are usually the only one to avoid that problem.
In the thread about the car itself, I'm guessing there were a dozen comments that all said things along the line of it changing from an Audi NSX to an Audi Veyron; like Audi themselves forgot the point of the R8. It even goes against what you said earlier about cars not needing to be powerful to be fun, because the R8 will almost definitely ruin the fun by making it far heavier; all in the pursuit of more power.
 
Except I doubt you'll see numbers that good. Ever. MPG wise for that engine. Especially if you actually use much of that power with any frequency.

I happen to agree to an extent, I personally would NEVER get even close to 24mpg ever, because of my driving style. HOWEVER, I can tell you that it is possible for this drivetrain to get good numbers as such I posted.

Good gas mileage is high 30's. Good gas mileage for what something is does not mean good gas mileage overall.

I break it into sections. Since it is clear that there will just about always bee several TYPES of cars from saloons, hatchbacks, trucks, SUVs, and crossovers I feel it is a necessity to group these individually in terms of MPG ratings. If an SUV averages 20MPG city and 27MPG highway in any form I consider that decent enough MPG for the type of vehicle. Conversely, a small car that doesn't get in the high 20's city and the middle 30's highway is rather worthless. That is why I said the G8 with those types of numbers is DECENT on the MPG considering that it gets basically the same mileage as SIX CYLINDER saloons that even weigh less.

Power does not equal fun.

Your opinion. Mine differs. Power does not always equal fun--but it does add to the experience. And sometimes brute power is fun all by itself--just ask any classic muscle car owner.

Which can therefore be applied to any car, so what is your point?


So why aren't people yelling at the Germans, then? These get better mileage then the German sedans and similar mileage to some of the Japanese cars, so I don't understand why they are ignored whenever it is time to go on a "fuel mileage is the most important thing ever" speech and only American cars are on the rack.


Difference of opinion, really. I happen to agree, but not everyone has the same opinion of driving fun.

Pretty much agree with what you said.

How was I dictating? I pretty sure the first part of my statement started with "I feel". But really explain to me why one needs 400hp in a street driven car when you can have just as much fun, if not more, in a car with less power. I think the Lotus Elise is still the best example of this.

Like I said, not you specifically but the statement in general is what I was responding to.

Also where did I say anything about a hatchback?

My fault, I thought I read hatchback somewhere.

The price of oil is not going down and there are more and more people on this planet that will be consuming it, so really the last thing the automotive world needs right now is a high horsepowered car that gets poor fuel mileage. Even 24mpg is poor, hell my Cooper's 35mpg isn't what I would consider outstanding for the size of it's engine. If you some how disagree that the price of oil and consequentially the price gas is rising I will be more then happy to entertain your reasoning why.

If you take in the dollar per gallon price versus Europe lets say, 24mpg can be acceptable in the USA because when you add it all up we are paying less than they are but they are getting more mileage--so it reality using my brilliant half-assed maths its a wash.

If you do not disagree then why do you think cars are fine getting a rather poor 24 mpg is acceptable? This is an honest question.

Since I drive an old Camaro that now seems to be getting worse MPG every month, 24mpg is something I would like to have--and 30mpg would be very good. I drove a couple of Nissans, a Honda, and a couple of Focuses (Foci) so I remember what good MPG is. Hell, I'm even considering...*moans* getting one of these or another Prelude for my next car. My ideas of a P71 Police Interceptor are wonderful and all but I remember vividly one thing about the one I owned before...if I got 12mpg it was a good day. I don't know if I want another gas hog.

I guess my statement was a bit confusing now that I read it. I wasn't talking about family sedans, but rather just making an observation on how you can have fun with less power.

You CAN have fun with less power on certain vehicles, however to simply ignore that you can have equal amounts of fun in a brute power vehicle is sort-sided me thinks. You can't have one without allowing to have the other.

Buy trucks and SUV's all you want, just do not bitch about the cost of fuel when it hits $4.00 per gallon this summer.

People will, and I will be the first to point out this fact. But, take Ford for example, they are putting a 6cyl diesel in the next F150 as well as the EcoBoost twin turbo setup--I can imagine seeing an increase in the MPG while still maintaining the functionality of the truck--people use pickup trucks more than you think. Boats aren't the only thing they are good for.

Poor fuel mileage is unacceptable no matter what. And with engineering you could have both performance and fuel mileage...hell the Audi R8 TDI showed that.

Because countries that either don't care or the price of petrol isn't high enough won't spend the money if they don't have to. However, GM and Ford are slowly making the right kinds of moves, GM with the cylinder deactivations as well as direct injection and Ford with the EcoBoost plus direct injection. Changes are coming, everyone just has to be patient.
 
Good gas mileage is high 30's. Good gas mileage for what something is does not mean good gas mileage overall.

Guess its different all over the country. 'Round these parts, if you can average 30 MPG, thats considered to be "good." I'd bet that something around 23-25 MPG would be considered "average" here. You've gotta dip pretty darn low to be "poor," and honestly, I'm not even sure where the bottom drops out. Our '68 Camaro gets 8 MPG, and that was almost normal back in the day...
 
Guess its different all over the country. 'Round these parts, if you can average 30 MPG, thats considered to be "good." I'd bet that something around 23-25 MPG would be considered "average" here. You've gotta dip pretty darn low to be "poor," and honestly, I'm not even sure where the bottom drops out. Our '68 Camaro gets 8 MPG, and that was almost normal back in the day...

That's because a US gallon of petrol was only $0.19 USD. And around here because of the number of SUVs and trucks 25mpg is considered generally as "good" and 30mpg is considered "very good" and 20mpg is considered "average". 8mpg is 8mpg...its just not good.
 
Put something vaguely resembling a cruising gear in an early small block and it would easily triple that number, though.
 
I'm sure that an extra cog in the gearbox would help. Its a three-speed with a 4.11 rear gear. Its a quater-mile car, and thats it...
 
Put something vaguely resembling a cruising gear in an early small block and it would easily triple that number, though.

I quite agree. Driven conservatively a 5spd mated to a small block and I could theoretically see 20mpg highway.
 
JCE
I quite agree. Driven conservatively a 5spd mated to a small block and I could theoretically see 20mpg highway.
Or just be lazy and pull the tranny out of a late C4 Vette.
 
Or just be lazy and pull the tranny out of a late C4 Vette.

Either a T5 or 4L60E wouldn't give much more than 22mpg. You need the T56 Tremtec to really get some mileage out of it. But, maybe I'll wait for YSSMAN to post since he's the resident GM expert. ;)
 
JCE
Either a T5 or 4L60E wouldn't give much more than 22mpg.
That's close enough to triple his current mileage. Besides, I doubt the higher gearing the current 'Vette has would be that much of a benefit over a C4 tranny considering how different the engines are.
 
I'm not completely sure, but generally speaking, a T56 with proper gearing can make almost any V8 creep pretty close to the 30 MPG mark... Its that cruising at 1400 RPM at 60 MPH that keeps the figures high...

I've been trying to convince Dad to swap out the current transmission for a similar Turbo400 four-speed, but he doesn't want to do it. I don't blame him, its been that way since the late '70s, it was his kick-ass car... Plus, if we want to drive the Camaro and get good mileage, he'll take the '09 instead...
 
Plus, if we want to drive the Camaro and get good mileage, he'll take the '09 instead...

Well DARN, settle for the 2009... Pfft, I GUESS that's a compromise. ;)
 
In other news (sorry about the double post)...

Word is that GMC is getting a truck, equal to the Holden Crewman, based on the Zeta chassis...

This has been floating around on GMI for a while now, but the details are starting to come together...

Bob Lutz to GoAuto
We said to Holden designers that if we really have to get much better fuel economy in full sized pick-up trucks, and we have to go away from framed vehicles in order to get the lower mass of unitised vehicles, wouldn’t you like to do a really tough-looking Crewman, but that is much lighter than a conventional GMC full sized pick-up.

Which means that although Zeta may not work for conventional passenger cars, it certainly could be an improvement over the GMT900s, and GMC looks to be ready to take this challenge head-on...

GoAuto
General Motors product czar Bob Lutz has revealed that GM is set to display a VE-based SUV in the form of a four-door utility.

Speaking to Australian media at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week, Mr Lutz hinted that it might herald the unexpected return of the Crewman dual-cab ute in Australia, not to mention a new export opportunity to the United States for Holden.

“We will have a ute concept at the NY show, but that is going to be badged GMC,” he said. “That is a global design study – and a very interesting study in that it is a GMC toughlooking four-door ute that could then obviously be badged as a Holden for Australia.”

In the style of the old VY/VZ Crewman – but beefed up to look more like a US-style pick-up truck – the as-yet unnamed concept vehicle, which is understood to have been designed in Melbourne, will debut at the upcoming New York International Auto Show in March.

“It is very tough looking, with a sport-utility look that is very low, very aggressive looking, a blend between a sport utility and the classic Australian four-door ute,” Mr Lutz enthused.

GoAuto understands that Holden has played a significant role in the development of this vehicle, which uses the global Zeta architecture. Furthermore, if the New York motor show public reacts positively enough, a production version of the concept is likely in the near future.

I'm interested to hear what ends up coming of this... If GMC goes completely to Zeta-based "trucks," that could be very interesting indeed!

===

In other Zeta news:

GlobalInvestor
General Motors Corp. has scrapped plans to build some rear-wheel-drive cars at its giant operations in Oshawa, Ont., a move that could threaten the long-term future of the largest vehicle assembly plant in Canada and thousands of jobs.

The auto maker has scuttled the rear-wheel-drive version of the Chevrolet Impala, which was scheduled to represent half the output of a leading-edge flexible assembly plant now under construction in Oshawa, industry sources said.

Production of rear-wheel-drive Cadillac and Buick sedans originally slated for Oshawa will be shifted instead to Lansing, Mich., the sources added.

GM will begin producing the reborn Chevrolet Camaro as a rear-wheel-drive muscle car in Oshawa later this year.

The move comes as GM prepares for crucial contract talks with the Canadian Auto Workers union this summer and seeks government financial help for an investment in St. Catharines, Ont., on top of $435-million Ottawa and Ontario have already agreed to give the company as part of a $2.5-billion plan to upgrade its Canadian operations.

Much of the $2.5-billion will be spent consolidating two Oshawa car plants into one flexible plant that will turn out the Camaro.

The two plants assembled 470,016 cars last year.

The next-generation Impala was designed to be heavier and larger than the existing front-wheel-drive version and would have been based on the same platform or basic underbody as the Camaro - GM's Zeta program.

The new plant would have cranked out a combined 500,000 Camaro, Impala, Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS cars.

The heavier Impala has been doomed by new U.S. fuel economy rules requiring auto makers to reach an average of 35 miles per gallon by 2020, industry and union sources said.

The new rules mean "some of those [vehicles] have been stricken from the future product program," GM vice-chairman Bob Lutz acknowledged in Detroit last week when asked how the regulations would affect the Zeta cars. Mr. Lutz did not elaborate on which models were cancelled.

This article seems to making some bold statements that hadn't been completely confirmed before. The Buick and Cadillac stuff were always rumors, so I'm not completely sure what to make of it... That being said, I'm happy to see that jobs are returning to Michigan, finally! Even better, its at the big plant closest to my home!

...But then I got to thinking: They're already having capacity issues with the crossovers (particularly the Enclave), but with the Sigma line, I'm not sure whats going to happen with that outside of the CTS. Still, very interesting...

Who wants to make bets that we build this Crewman in Michigan too?
 
I wanna SEE this Crewman, first. If they can pull off what Honda couldn't (because Honda doesn't make a V8 and a large rear-wheel-drive platform) that'd be spectacular.
 
What couldn't Honda do? The Ridgeline is a very good truck for what a large majority of truck buyers use them for.
 
Interesting. The truck representing the heavy-duty side of GMC will be based on a car-based platform? It will be a beefed up ute? Did I understand that right? I never thought the Zetas would be that tough.
 
What couldn't Honda do? The Ridgeline is a very good truck for what a large majority of truck buyers use them for.

Well, considering I see no Ridgelines used by contractors, I'd tend to disagree. (Many, many of the pickups locally are for commercial or farm use, and with the large blue-collar population around here, many guys go out into fields and such, go hunting with their trucks, haul ATVs, boats, the buddy's tractor...)

It's simply too far removed as a pickup, at least, in this area, to sell well. I'm sure it tows okay, but the bed's kinda small (and who needs a trunk? truck boxes are cheap.) and, well, it still has no V8, and thus lacks torque, there's no cheap RWD Work Truck option, and isn't seen as all that "Tough." (And who needs a trunk? truck boxes are cheap.) By the by...it's EXPENSIVE.

It's perfect as a suburbanite's vehicle, and something environmentalists and technophiles can attempt to suggest to those in the fullsize market, but you're gonna have a tough sell to the blue-collar man.

If G.M. CAN make this an equal to body-on-frame vehicles, with better fuel economy and equal durability, they could have a hit. My suggestion to G.M.: Make a "Contractor Special."
 
Back