Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,928 views
Besides, there are still rumours of the V12 based on the High Feature V6.

V12 + Chevy + MR + Corvette + IRS = teh win
 
I'll except that as well.
 
The Corvette shall stay FR like the Camaro, I believe, and will likely remain a V8 only. Unless they do the separation of Chevrolet and the Corvette "brand" (much like Europe) in the US, I can't see their recipe for success changing much at all.
 
On the other hand, the Cien would be a better option, even if the rest of Cadillac doesn't really deserve to have a car like it...yet. Then again...there's a $100,000 CHEVROLET coming out. I believe that's pretty damn close to being the most expensive car G.M. makes, (I believe the XLR-V gets up there,) yet sold in the "Value" brand's lots. Why couldn't there be a $500,000 Cadillac that'll hit 200+?

Cien could be a sub-brand, like Corvette.
 
TA-DA!!!

img_3081.jpg


GM Note:

The headlights here on the prototype are not production-spec, and as noted on the GMInside News boards, a Camaro production worker said they were "off-the-shelf" lights from NAPA that made the prototypes road-legal.
 
I think it looks a little bloated. And what's the deal with the whited-out intakes? Those look especially tacky. Other than that, I quite like it:tup:.
 
TA-DA!!!
GM Note:
The headlights here on the prototype are not production-spec, and as noted on the GMInside News boards, a Camaro production worker said they were "off-the-shelf" lights from NAPA that made the prototypes road-legal.

Yeah, but they look mean. I love this car. I want to have this car's children.

I'll be a sheep and have mine in Yellow with Black stripes, 'more than 400hp', stick, black leather with yellow accents, please.

It only looks bloated because it's higher and not on huge rims. It's actually a very faithful copy. Changes to door mirrors, A-pillars/screen, roof detail, minor cowl detail, fog lamp recesses, lower door/rocker lines... and the loss of the very slight crease around the hood surround. That was always going to be a tough press, so they've ditched it completely, by the looks of it. The proportions look very, very similar otherwise. Ford Mustang team, that's how you put a concept car into the market. :D

Venari WANTS.
 
Yeah, the hood scoop got filled in! I wonder if this is a V6 mule...

and the headlights? What NAPA did they go to to get THOSE? and Will they fit my Nova?
 
The vents on the side look different as well. I was expecting this to look a lot meaner.
 
The GMI guys are trying to figure out why the vents (both on the front and side) aren't cut out, and none of us are sure. The usual consensus is that because its an early prototype, it wouldn't have everything worked out yet. Remember, the first "official" models won't roll off a production line until October/November of this year...

Otherwise it looks as though everything was taken right off the concept car...
 
Well, kind of: the Concept seemed much wider and lower to me. Otherwise, yes, I could see that.
 
More bad news on the US Zeta program(s):

LLN.com
Despite several reports indicating that General Motors would bring over a version of its Holden Commodore VE Sportwagon for sale in the U.S. under its Pontiac brand, GM will not import the Sportwagon along side the sedan.

At the Detroit Auto Show, GM's Bob Lutz revealed that the combination of the high cost to modify the wagon for the U.S. market and lack of demand for such a vehicle here in the states killed the program. "We looked at that, but the amount of change to meet U.S. regulations was going to be quite a lot of money…and the sad truth is, as much as some of us like 'sportwagons', they just don't sell in the U.S.," Lutz said. "How often do you see an Audi wagon? How often do you see a BMW wagon? How often do you see a Mercedes wagon? The answer is, almost never…they're just not fashionable. I can't explain why."

Although a wagon-variant of the Commodore won't make it to the U.S., a Pontiac-badged Commodore ute is still planned for the U.S. market.

Earlier reports had the Pontiac ute pegged as the G8 ST, but GM's head of marketing and sales, Mark LaNeve, indicated at a dinner with Leftlane that the G8 ST name is not set in stone. GM has yet to give an official date of when we will see the Pontiac ute on our shores, but it should follow in the months after the G8 launch.

Well, we'll survive without the Sportwagon, I think. I'm still happy that we're getting the UTE, that should be interesting indeed!
 
That really is a shame. That sportwagon really looked like it had potential. I guess you never see the Magnum at all either.

Hopefully the UTE will sell. I find it odd that they would want to put the money into making a US-spec car they have little idea about success-wise yet they won't "waste" the money on a car they know there is a market, however small, for. Maybe it's just America's love of trucks.
 
The El Camino sold until there wasn't a platform to put it on anymore. I'm still not sure about this being a Pontiac, though, and I figure Lumina noses will be hotter imports than Levin, Trueno, and Silvia noses combined.
 
More bad news on the US Zeta program(s):



Well, we'll survive without the Sportwagon, I think. I'm still happy that we're getting the UTE, that should be interesting indeed!
There's not a high demand for the Sportwagon, yet there appears to be one for the Ute, a modern-day-like El Camino?

I think Lutz is thinking somewhat backwards. I haven't seen very many people at all express interest in a new car like the Ute, while many wanting more sport wagons.
 
EPIC FAIL.

I was looking forward to the sportwagon. :grumpy:
 
I haven't seen very many people at all express interest in a new car like the Ute, while many wanting more sport wagons.
I think GM should be given a free pass on this one. The Magnum just failed on the market. Why would this be any different? At least the El Camino has a chance at success simply because it is an X factor.
 
I think GM should be given a free pass on this one. The Magnum just failed on the market. Why would this be any different? At least the El Camino has a chance at success simply because it is an X factor.
Good point. Speaking of the El Camino, I wonder how the public would react if this brought to the US and badged as the new El Camino.
 
Good point. Speaking of the El Camino, I wonder how the public would react if this brought to the US and badged as the new El Camino.
If it looks like the old one, it would easily do as good as the Mustang, or new Camaro! I say bring it cause recently i have been craving some real American muscle coming back to the states.

And later a more economical diesel version? I think that would be pretty awesome.
 
I think the ST's biggest selling point will be it being a truck for a society crazy about trucks but will offer the performance and economy of a regular car which is all we can afford.
 
Good point. Speaking of the El Camino, I wonder how the public would react if this brought to the US and badged as the new El Camino.

My guess is that they'd sell 2:1 if it was a Chevy over a Pontiac, but as Lutz said, the Chevrolet lineup already has two trucks, they don't need another.

...There is a "trumor" (that would be a rumor that is probably true) that we'll see a four-door UTE debut as a GMC "concept" in New York this year. If they kill-off the Canyon and stick a HD suspension underneath it (like the Crewman), they'll sell plenty well I'd bet...

Prosthetic
And later a more economical diesel version? I think that would be pretty awesome.

That will probably happen sometime in the near-future. My guess is that they'll eventually option it with the 4.5L diesel V8 come 2010, probably matched with the six-speed slushbox. That, or we may see the diesel V6 from the Cadillac CTS make its way over...
 
Looks like its Big Trouble in Little Detroit all over again:

GoAuto
GENERAL MOTORS has confirmed that a VE Commodore-based Monaro is a non-starter for now, as Holden is set to lead any pending development of the smaller rear-drive Torana.

Speaking at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, GM ‘car czar’ Bob Lutz sounded the Monaro’s death knell loud and clear.

“I think (the Monaro/Pontiac GTO) is gone for now,” Mr Lutz said.

“We’ve got nothing in the product plan right now like that. We’d like to have, but you can’t do everything.”

However, the ebullient senior GM executive then went on to raise hopes that the Holden-developed but Canadian-built Chevrolet Camaro – due to be launched globally next year – might be imported into Australia as a sort of Monaro replacement instead.

While Mr Lutz stopped short of actually announcing the Camaro for Australia (“I don’t think I should be put in a position of confirming vehicle introductions for Australia”), he did say that its basic architecture was designed from the outset for a right-hand drive configuration.

“You’ll have to ask (new Holden managing director and CEO Mark Reuss),” he teased.

“But let’s put it this way: since right-hand drive is available in the (Camaro’s VE Commodore-based Zeta) architecture, and since we would like to obviously sell some in Singapore, the UK and even the odd one in Japan, there is certainly a distinct possibility that it could be sold in Australia.”

Mr Lutz revealed that he halted the development of, or killed off, some future Zeta-based vehicles such as the Monaro and a proposed rear-wheel drive Impala V8, as GM seeks to downsize its range in order for it to meet the US Government’s new Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) legislation, which requires manufacturers to reach a fleet average of 35 miles per gallon (6.72L/100km) by 2020.

“In terms of fuel economy, that’s not the end of the market where we want to stimulate demand,” Mr Lutz explained.

“We have to find ways to stimulate demand and desirability in cars that will get us closer to the 35 MPG average.

“Because the Monaro and the (VE Commodore sedan-based Pontiac) G8 – as good as they are, and even though we can emphasise V6 engines over a V8 and at some point put in a hybrid system etc – are not going to get us to the 35 (figure).”

It is becoming clear that the ‘Alpha’ Torana – as well as SUVs that ditch the truck-base chassis for a Zeta-derived monocoque construction – might be a smarter solution to help the GM fleet meet the 2020 CAFE target.

However, Mr Lutz also warned that the future CAFE laws do not automatically green-light the Torana.

“Torana is a rear-wheel drive vehicle smaller than the Zeta architecture and smaller than the current CTS Cadillac architecture. It is, or would be, about the size of a BMW 1 Series – maybe just a tiny bit bigger to enable larger wheels.

“Now that is the architecture that has been bandied about the US press under the name of ‘Alpha Architecture’, and Alpha is still under consideration, but we haven’t kicked off any design work or any engineering work because we have to sort our way through this 35 MPG task.

“As a lightweight rear-wheel drive car that is going to add about 1MPG compared to an equivalent lightweight front-wheel drive car – we just have to sort of wait awhile and see where we are.”

Nevertheless, Mr Lutz was keen to keep Holden very much in the picture should the Torana go ahead.

“If we proceed with the Alpha Architecture, I think it is safe to say that Holden would be vitally interested in participating in that project.”

Holden in Australia is now GM’s global ‘Home Room’ for middle-to-large rear-wheel drive vehicles including sedans and utilities.

Home Room is GM-speak for the GM division that is responsible for all the development of a particular architecture.

Mr Lutz also singled out GM-DAT in South Korea as GM’s centre for light cars, Opel in Germany for small and medium-sized front-wheel drive vehicles and their derivatives, Brazil for Hummer and the United States as the Home Room for Cadillac, Corvette, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky convertibles, and full-sized truck and utilities/SUVs.

Well crap. I guess its not the end of the world, but it certainly is a disappointing end to the suspected development of the Zeta chassis. In the end, having the Camaro as a truly global car is actually pretty awesome, and I'm sure that is going to make a lot of people very proud in Detroit and in Ontario. It does make you wonder though; Why not retool the Camaro a bit for the different markets and sell it as a albeit smaller Monaro, and hell, a Firebird?

As for the Impala, well, this has been something that GM folks have kinda known for a while. I'm probably going to put cash down on the Impala going big and going on the Epsilon II chassis, or maybe GM goes about sticking it on an L-Body reincarnate. All I want is optional AWD, a six-speed automatic, and a choice of six and eight cylinder engines. With the EPIC awesomeness that will be the Ford Taurus with the EcoBoost V6, yeah, GM has a lot they've got to worry about...
 
Damn. At least we get the smaller FR chassis, but....crap. what a bummer.

You make a poing, though...some slight retooling, and your Camaro can be a Retro Monaro. Firebird? Hell yes.

and, like always, Chrysler gets left in the dust.
 
That does make you wonder:

What the hell is Chrysler doing with the LY chassis? If GM who almost has limitless funds by comparison to Chrysler is having problems with their full-size RWD chassis, should we be expecting bigger problems for them?
 
It's probably sitting, gathering dust, as they scramble about, figuring out what to do to boost sales...which they could easily do with LY...

Or, perhaps they're using this chance to quietly fiddle while the other companies toot their own horns, and then once the exciement has died off....

Yeah, running about with their heads cut off.
 
-> Since I found out that the wagon won't be arriving to the US, I was pissed. GM should at least make the wagon as a limited production run (like say, 500-1000/year), and see on how will the market goes, not giving up entirely! (dumb move Lutz) :dunce:

-> Good thing that I'm one of the few people who are not overly eager for the Zeta-platform to hit in the US. I've always disliked coupes and sedans unless I have no choice (M3, GT-R, 135i, etc.). :indiff:

-> Pretty dissapointing indeed. :grumpy:
 
You're right in saying that they should do a limited run of wagons every year, but the problem is that they would still have to federally certify the car, which costs an arm and a leg in itself. They are basing their decisions on the Magnum, which may be a bad idea in the end, but alas, wagons still aren't "cool" here yet. The means (ie, the cost to GM) don't justify the ends.

Moving the money to the Alpha chassis seems like a good idea, despite the fact that they seem to be claiming that "nothing exists of it yet." Smaller, 1 & 3 series sized cars make a lot more sense, and truth be told, can be just as much fun to drive, and of course be more fuel efficent as well. They still aren't due until 2011 at the absolute earliest, so we've got a while to wait there.
 
-> Since I found out that the wagon won't be arriving to the US, I was pissed. GM should at least make the wagon as a limited production run (like say, 500-1000/year), and see on how will the market goes, not giving up entirely! (dumb move Lutz) :dunce:

Would the profit of making a limited edition run to please the enthusiasts warrant the cost of making the car sellable in the US? GM is probably just going off the Magnum and they will probably be watching Ford should they put out a TaurusX.

On the LY platform: I would either say that they putting all their energy into making the next Sebring worthwhile (which is what they should be doing IMO) or maybe the chassis isn't ready yet and won't be for a while. What is the Challenger on?

Would the Impala be running the Zeta or was that the possibility of a new RWD chassis from GM? It would be too bad for GM to pass up having two RWD lineups. Although it may be better in the end to have the cheaper FWD units on the lower end.
 
Wow, these new CAFE regulations are really starting to hit us. It's like we had a brief awakening of rwd muscle cars and then only to have something kill them off again so soon. Like the mid seventies oil crisis.....
 
Back