Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,940 views
w00t!

They're Here!!!

Keep your eyes peeled in Detroit and Los Angeles, my guess is that they'll be out rather frequently...
 
First Camaro engine shots, and its an LY7! Sorry V8 fans...

Someone Poped the Hood on a 2009 Camaro

medium_2228663565_897c5883bb_o.jpg


medium_2229456812_1e8229edf6_o.jpg


medium_2228663203_fbb200dc60_o.jpg


So, that looks like it was torn right out of a CTS (note the place for the circular badge), but yeah, could be a Commodore too. I'm glad that they've got a V6 mule out there, and I'm glad that it pretty much confirms that we're getting the 250-ish BHP V6. However, it does make you wonder if they'll give us the 300 BHP DIG one while they're at it...

Oh, and they've got some new interior update shots:

medium_2228670751_aea60221df_o.jpg


medium_2228670585_b0c7cb212f_o.jpg


medium_2229463766_852596560b_o.jpg


medium_2229463032_c19010ec5d_o.jpg


medium_2228669455_52da96dd64_o.jpg


medium_2229462714_f2996bc70a_o.jpg


medium_2229462594_b816948e88_o.jpg


medium_2229462500_1aedcb3031_o.jpg


I'm amazed at how much the dash reminds me of my father's '68. Its just awesome to see them do that classic look, but also update the rest of the dash to make it feel modern and functional. Much better than what Ford did with the Mustang! A lot of the parts on the dash look individual as well, which is nice, and that certainly doesn't make the car cheap to make either. I'm sure Doug is happy to see the common window switches, the key-fob from a Commodore, and the OnStar mirror from a CTS (I think?). Gotta save somewhere...

Oh, and people complained about the gills:

medium_2228668681_c827c3868a_o.jpg


Looks like they're cut-out on this one!
 
However, it does make you wonder if they'll give us the 300 BHP DIG one while they're at it...
That would be a good idea. That or the Atlas. It would have better fuel mileage than the Mustang and not be down on power. Maybe as a level 2 engine, with level 3 presumably being a 400BHP mill.

Still very, very awesome.
 
I do like how the speedo gage goes to red at 120 MPH. Thats pretty schweet! I would hope that I can run up to what appears to be the indicated 160 MPH...
 
Oh man those things are going to be impossible to read. :p
 
I'm liking this new Camaro more and more. I can't wait to see one in person. Oh, and those GMC mockups for the Crewman are epic.
 
I do like how the speedo gage goes to red at 120 MPH. Thats pretty schweet! I would hope that I can run up to what appears to be the indicated 160 MPH...

Apparently it isn't dangerous until you get into the red.

"But officer, my speedo was still green!"
 
I like it alot.
 
Holy balls am I in love with this car.

That cluster is very, very cool looking. And the Gills are cut.. that is very good news indeed.
Will we see a ZL1 offered as a GMPD special to counter the FR500GT?

@ Toronado: I like the Idea of the Atlas. Sorta kills the I6 Camaro stigma, doesn't it? :dopey:
 
Will we see a ZL1 offered as a GMPD special to counter the FR500GT?

To fight the GT500KR? I think that could be done, and probably will be done, quite easily with the LS7. Or the "de-tuned" LS9 spin-off (I forget the name) from the CTS-V...
 
BTW where do they take these pictures from?
 
I'm not sure. They had some more pictures the other day of the prototypes coming into LAX, so yeah. I'm surprised they don't keep the cars locked up...

Oh, and there is also good news for "greenies" like me:

GoAuto
GM HOLDEN is expected to release a turbo-diesel V6 option in the Commodore and Statesman/Caprice inside the next 18 months.

Co-developed by VM Motori in Italy, this is the global V6 diesel that will be fitted in a bevy of GM products in the next few years, from Opel through to GM truck-based vehicles including GMC and Hummer.

The first rollout for this engine is expected in 2009, with the Hummer H3 in line to be one of the first GM vehicles to employ the engine in Australia.

Group vice-president for GM Powertrain Thomas Stephens confirmed the Australian Holden-developed Zeta architecture has been engineered to take the new V6 diesel. “The V6 VMM diesel will package into the Zeta platform,” Mr Stephens said.

Furthermore, a massive 4.5-litre V8 diesel – producing at least 700Nm of torque in standard trim – is also on the way from GM, although it is headed for GMC trucks and Hummer vehicles only at this stage.

So, we could see a diesel V6 Pontiac G8 by 2009, which seems very reasonable. And furthermore, if they stick that awesome 4.5L V8 under the hood, I'd almost be tempted to check that box before the L76 already available for the GT...
 
-> Latest spy pic on "that" Camaro by Inside Line:

c4.chevy.camaro.500.jpg


^ Wow, ambers! Is it going to Europe in the future? Still ugly. :yuck:

c5.chevy.camaro.500.jpg


^ Now it has also side ambers (for the US market), is this proto confused or what? :lol:

:)
 
Ew. amber turn signals...they could have done better than THAT.
 
The US version will have red signals, the amber ones are for the Australian and European markets. Remember kids, this one is going to be GM's global 2+2 coupe/convertible...
 
GM still making huge engines? I wonder how that 4.8L will fare against the rising price of fuel. I don't see it being used in anything other than the HD Silverado and Sierra. Bad marketing move:tdown:.

^ Wow, ambers! Is it going to Europe in the future? Still ugly. :yuck:

Those lights take a lot away from the look of the car. But I guess it has to be done.
 
So, its called the Denali XT:

medium_2236947131_51187a63ce_o.jpg






I like it, but I want to see it reeled back into reality a bit to see what they'll actually make of it. Hey, at least they're getting their money's worth out of the Zeta program!
 
GMC needs to stick to re-figuring Chevy trucks instead, imo.
 
Hey I like it. GMC needs something new and fresh to keep the brand interesting. I'm personally sick and tired of the same old Chevy and Cadillac rehashes wearing a GMC badge.
 
Oh my, I will be suprised if that thing becomes our Holden Crewman. Maybe Holdens words of no upcoming crewman is true.
 
Wow that looks nothing like I thought it was going to, I actually don't mind that.
 
It looks too...Japanese. Has that by far and away overdone look.
 
Actually, now that you mention it, it reminds me a lot of the Honda Ridgeline... Only this, at least to me, looks a fair bit "tougher" as in it could actually function as a "truck."

Must have been too easy to throw two extra doors on the G8 ST and stick a GMC grille in it...
 
It looks no less stupid than the recent Toyota A-Bat concept. Which reminds me, why is GMC copying Toyota?
 
Sales! Money! POWAH!

Dunno. More or less, this is supposed to offset the EPA changes coming in 2011 by making their "full-power" trucks more fuel efficent while being nearly (but not quite) as capable. Giving the "real" trucks to Chevrolet makes sense, given that they always sell better, and furthermore, now that we have the BPG Dealers (Buick, Pontiac, GMC), they want to end the redundancy a bit more.... I hope?
 
How about a hybrid Camaro?

AutoBlog Green
Lexus has dominated the market of "performance hybrids" so far, being the only manufacturer promoting the performance capabilities of their electrically-assisted offerings. Might Chevrolet take a similar path with their new Camaro? According to this article at The Car Connection, there is a possibility that the dual mode hybrid system is being considered for a high-end Camaro. Might the fastest Camaro also be the most fuel-friendly? Possibly, but it would likely be the most expensive as well.

Additionally, General Motors was planning on reducing the cost of their new Camaro based on the sheer amount of vehicles scheduled to use the platform. Now that fuel economy is such a big deal, all but the Pontiac G8 and aforementioned Camaro have likely been shelved. Therefore, the V8-powered Camaro might be more expensive than first thought. The more V8-powered Camaro models that GM sells, the worse it is for their CAFE number, so they might not have a choice when it comes to making a hybrid version.
 
JACKPOT!

*said a long time ago*

6.0 DoD Camaro with a Dual-Mode= Winnarsauce.
 
Back