Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,946 views
Eye candy corner-> I like these pics the Edmund's Inside Line provided: 👍

pontiac.g8.factory.line.6.500.jpg


-> Somehow, the Pontiac version looks goofy and tame conpared to the mean and serious persona of the Holden:

pontiac.g8.factory.line.3.500.jpg


pontiac.g8.factory.line.1.500.jpg


-> Too bad these were fakely executed (those hood 'scoops'): :indiff:

pontiac.g8.factory.line.2.500.jpg


-> Although I like this booty compared to the VXR-version: :)👍

pontiac.g8.factory.dyno.500.jpg


LINK & Article

:)
 
The Pontiac version is meant to look bolder to suit American tastes, hence the "scoops" and the probably more muscular yet slightly goofier front end.
 
Meh, its still the best-looking "Pontiac" by a long-shot if you ask me. I think the only car that comes close in the GXP version of the Solstice.

Still, its cool to see that they're randomly placed into the Holden production line. Makes it look like they're taking orders or something... Its only a matter of time before those Ute bodies have that Pontiac front end on there as well.
 
I like them all, and there are lots of good looking Pontiacs, the Solstice, the GTO, the G8, and the G6 GXP concept car all looked pretty cool. That's only the modern ones.
 
2009 G8 GXP to use the Corvette's LS3 engine.

ls3g8gt_opt.jpg


Autoblog
The upcoming 2008 Pontiac G8 has a lot going for it. There's the oh-so-hot-right-now rear-wheel-drive chassis, a base price under $28,000 and the high-performance G8 GT with a 361-horsepower 6.0L V8 starts below $30,000. It's the performance bargain of the year, and if a forum post over at G8GT.com is to believed, the bargain is about get a whole lot better.

A dealership employee somewhere has posted a pic of GM's inventory controls website in which the engine option for the 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP is revealed to be none other than the LS3 6.2L V8. To refresh your memory, the LS3 replaced the LS2 as the base engine for the Corvette this model year. In the Vette, it produces 430 horsepower from 376 cubic inches, or 436 hp if you opt for a special dual-stage exhaust system.

There was a time when the Corvette kept all of its components to itself, but that ended when they started building the Cadillac XLR side-by-side with the iconic American sports car and began using its engines in the CTS-V. Nowadays, Cadillac regularly pilfers the Corvette parts bin, so why not Pontiac, too? An LS3-powered G8 GXP would be just short of epic in its degree of awesomeness, so let's hope the internet is right on this one. Thanks for the tip, John!

This will be one hot ride. I'm wondering how they managed to get this one around the EPA.
 
This will be one hot ride. I'm wondering how they managed to get this one around the EPA.

Dude... It's the EPA. All they had to do was wave some shiny objects at them to get their attention elsewhere. :dopey:
 
The Pontiac version is meant to look bolder to suit American tastes, hence the "scoops" and the probably more muscular yet slightly goofier front end.
^ Bolder? American tastes are always bland (just look at the Camry), just compared it to some of the cars from Europe or even Aussie-land. I've always adored the Holden version than any G8's. :indiff:

Meh, its still the best-looking "Pontiac" by a long-shot if you ask me. I think the only car that comes close in the GXP version of the Solstice.
^ I've never like the Solstice in the first place, but I agree by 40%.

I like them all, and there are lots of good looking Pontiacs, the Solstice, the GTO, the G8, and the G6 GXP concept car all looked pretty cool. That's only the modern ones.
^ Of all the Pontiacs that are currently on sale right now, the only ones that only nabbed eyes was the GTO 6.0 and the G8 ONLY.

^ It better be a manual transmission this time, I already got dissappointed on the 2nd gen CTS-V already. :indiff:
 
I seen it on Autoblog before I came here, but I hope this is evidence suggesting the HSV version is showing an LS3 heart very very soon.
 
Could this be the first time the US might get the better car than the rest of the world if they don't put the LS3 in the HSV?
 
Could this be the first time the US might get the better car than the rest of the world if they don't put the LS3 in the HSV?

I'm pretty sure we are getting it some time.
 
Could this be the first time the US might get the better car than the rest of the world if they don't put the LS3 in the HSV?
^ Um no, heres one thing:

gts_1.JPG


^ These guys will also get the LS3 too, and in addition to that, they'll throw in a turbo or a supercharger. Those HSV chaps are sick as they are, I won't bet too much on the GXP model just yet. :indiff:
 
I would think the HSV model would get more power than the Pontiac Model as a Supercharged LS3/9/A HSV won't be stealing sales off anything. Maybe GM US doesn't want a hyper Ponitac to be as quick as Corvettes and Caddy's for less cost?
 
I would think the HSV model would get more power than the Pontiac Model as a Supercharged LS3/9/A HSV won't be stealing sales off anything. Maybe GM US doesn't want a hyper Ponitac to be as quick as Corvettes and Caddy's for less cost?

This is why we are anticipating the Melbourne Motor Show at the end of the month because that's where Holden and HSV will likely lay out their cards.

Edit: Gashlycrumb, that's an LS7 HSV, not an LS3.
 
Maybe GM US doesn't want a hyper Ponitac to be as quick as Corvettes and Caddy's for less cost?

With the Camaro coming within the next year, it only gets more complicated. Given that the G8 and CTS essentially weigh in around the name neighborhood, anything over 500 BHP in the Pontiac would be coming too close to CTS-V territory (remember, thats 550 BHP). The thing is, I don't know if I personally count 430 BHP to be enough. But yeah, it probably is anyway.

Give it E85 capability and a stick (M10 manual) and it will still be "green" enough to dodge the EPA gas guzzler taxes. But given its already proven performance with the already available 6L80E, I'd expect the automatic to be offered in the GXP version just like how the automatic is offered with the CTS-V.

And yes, the manual transmission will likely be standard on both.

As for what I'd rather have between the G8 GXP and CTS-V, well, thats a toughie...
 
This is why we are anticipating the Melbourne Motor Show at the end of the month because that's where Holden and HSV will likely lay out their cards.

Edit: Gashlycrumb, that's an LS7 HSV, not an LS3.

Oh, ok. Still very cool though :D
 
As for what I'd rather have between the G8 GXP and CTS-V, well, thats a toughie...
^ The answer is easy on my camp, G8 GXP, then convert it into a Holden, slap a S/C or a Turbo and done for the day, instant drift sedan. My best alternative for the next RS4 and the M3/M5. :)
 
Oh, ok. Still very cool though :D

Indeed :) I relly hope the GTS-R gets to see the light of day at the Melbourne Show, that would be much cooler than any CSV or Walkinshaw of current

^ The answer is easy on my camp, G8 GXP, then convert it into a Holden, slap a S/C or a Turbo and done for the day, instant drift sedan. My best alternative for the next RS4 and the M3/M5. :)

Seems Holden does get a little more respect than I realised, in that you'd convert it to a Holden. Couldn't be too hard, just need a new front bumper and rear badge. (I think)
 
^ The answer is easy on my camp, G8 GXP, then convert it into a Holden, slap a S/C or a Turbo and done for the day, instant drift sedan.

I wonder if we'll see supercharger kits or anything here. Maybe somebody will import the HSV with the supercharger?

My best alternative for the next RS4 and the M3/M5. :)

Isn't this car the same size as the A6/5-er/E class? With the supercharger, this car will definitely be able to challenge RS/M/AMG cars like the CTS-V can the M3 by offering more performance for less money and with less refinement.
 
I wonder if we'll see supercharger kits or anything here. Maybe somebody will import the HSV with the supercharger?

Hard to say. Given that GM is just beginning to warm up to this whole forced-induction thing here in the US, it could happen. That being said, it would be more cost-effective to just shove the LS7 in there (and honestly, it makes more sense).

G8 - LY7 V6 : 262 BHP
G8 GT - L76 V8 : 362 BHP
G8 GTP - LS3 V8 : 430 BHP
G8 GXP - LS7 V8 : 505 BHP

Its more progressive, makes more sense, and allows the GXP models to be completely dominant as they should be. I just feel like 430 BHP isn't enough to make the G8 GXP name feel "right" in the market. Then again, it would really only be running against the Charger SRT-8/300C SRT-8 (425 BHP), and your average low-lying performance cars from BMW and Mercedes... But yeah, I need more power.
 
That 430 horsepower figure is in a bit of an awkward spot to challenge the rest of the world. It should go up nicely against the Chrysler offerings, but it isn't placed to challenge any German offerings:

M5: 505 hp. 550i: 360 hp.
E55: 469 hp. E500: 302 hp.
RS6: 573 hp. S6: 435 hp. A6: 255.

It looks like the most major competition from abroad for the GTP version with the LS3 will end up being the S6. That might prove to be a good move on GM's part in the end though. But if they want to go up against the performance models, they are either going to need that supercharger or the LS7.

Or they could do what Caddy is doing with the CTS-V and out their numbers way ahead of everybody else with the LS9 :dopey:.
 
Or they could do what Caddy is doing with the CTS-V and out their numbers way ahead of everybody else with the LS9 :dopey:.

That would be the LSA, not the LS9. Similar, but different. You can read more about those differences a few posts back...

Personally speaking, the LS7 would make a helluva lot more sense than the LS3 in the GXP. I mean, they've gotta have the Clubsport R8 equal somewhere...
 
That would be the LSA, not the LS9. Similar, but different. You can read more about those differences a few posts back...

Personally speaking, the LS7 would make a helluva lot more sense than the LS3 in the GXP. I mean, they've gotta have the Clubsport R8 equal somewhere...

Clubsport R8 equal? The Clubsport only uses am LS2 at the moment and when it upgrades it will almost certainly be to the LS3. No LS7 is in any Holdens/HSVs for the while except for what's been done by aftermarket tuning companies like CSV.
 
Quite right, but they have the GTS-R coming along, correct?

It would seem far more logical, and in fact, far easier to use the Clubsport R8 as our GTP and the GTS-R as the GXP.
 
That would be the LSA, not the LS9. Similar, but different. You can read more about those differences a few posts back...

I was referring to putting the LS9 into the G8 to beat the M/AMG/RS cars like the LSA in the CTS-V does against it's competitors.

Personally speaking, the LS7 would make a helluva lot more sense than the LS3 in the GXP. I mean, they've gotta have the Clubsport R8 equal somewhere...

The LS3 would certainly help in the power department, putting this car on par with the Germans, but I think GM might be looking into the fuel mileage and other benefits of the LS3. That and I think that you are going to have to boost power far over what the M5 has in order to be an alternative to that car.
 
Quite right, but they have the GTS-R coming along, correct?

It would seem far more logical, and in fact, far easier to use the Clubsport R8 as our GTP and the GTS-R as the GXP.

If there is a GTS-R it will never be a re-badged Pontiac, sorry. That would be like slapping Holden badges on a Corvette. GTS-R is a unique Australian halo car, it just wouldn't be re-badged. (The old GTS-R currently sells for hundreds of thousands of dollars for collectability, and it's only just over 10yrs old :scared: )
 
If there is a GTS-R it will never be a re-badged Pontiac, sorry. That would be like slapping Holden badges on a Corvette. GTS-R is a unique Australian halo car, it just wouldn't be re-badged. (The old GTS-R currently sells for hundreds of thousands of dollars for collectability, and it's only just over 10yrs old :scared: )

Didn't we get what was the equivalent of the Monaro SS-V? That's a fairly special car.

But YSSMAN: There won't be a GTP model I don't think. Also, I do believe that the GXP will be getting the LS3, and nothing more.
 
Didn't we get what was the equivalent of the Monaro SS-V? That's a fairly special car.

But YSSMAN: There won't be a GTP model I don't think. Also, I do believe that the GXP will be getting the LS3, and nothing more.

I have no idea what a Monaro SS-V is, but no really special Monaro models were made. Not in the order of a GTS-R.

Edit: If you can think of one of the rarest and most expensive classic American cars, the GTS-R is the Australian equivalent.
 
Did they ever stick an LS2 in the Monaro down there? That's what we got after two years with the LS1.
 
Yep, the LS2 became the standard motor after a short while. Seeing as the Monaro was Australian we probably got it first.
 
Back