Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,946 views
I think its more like:"CONCEPT"

...As in, yeah its going to happen, and probably all over the world "concept." Sure, the Camaro is supposed to be GM's global coupe, but this will do as well. I demand to see one with the Pontiac grille!
 
GM knows how to knock 'em dead. :sly:
 
Looking at those pictures. If it's correct. It's pillar-less too, which opens up a realistic possibility of a convertible I guess.
 
I don't think that it'd be pillar-less in production form. But a 'vert is never out of the question.


A return of the full-size coupe and convertible to the US? Huzzah!
 
It is pilarless, but so was the Camaro concept. I really am pulling at straws here, but to quote Maximum Bob himself (possibly not exact wording) "Holden is working on a concept now that will be sold in Australia and will knock everybody's socks off. It will emerge as one of GM-H's proudest moments." GM-H is Holden, and he was referring to this very Coupe pictured above, said before the show. Now did I hear that right- "Sold in Australia". That means this weapon will see production :dopey: I hope they take out the whole flex-fuel part though. This will be awesome, look at that almost uniquely Australian styling.
 
Ooh, that Coupe60 is really quite nice. Can't wait to see it in person.

In the meantime, YSSMAN mentioned something about a Pontiac grille? I just photochopped this up now, 'tis a quick job but looks alright I think!

g8coupels1.jpg
 
Holy S!

That is the most kickass "Pontiac" I've seen!

Forget about the GTO, forget about the Firebird, I want a damned G8 Coupe!
 
Awesome, Monaro, what I was hoping for!

and pillarless like the originals.
 
Holy S!

That is the most kickass "Pontiac" I've seen!

Forget about the GTO, forget about the Firebird, I want a damned G8 Coupe!

^ Heck, I'll forget ALL other Zeta platformed cars especially that overhyped Camaro. Please Pontiac of should I say GM PLEASE BRING AND RELEASE THIS CAR HERE (in the US). I also like the W427 A perfect alternative to the M5 and better yet the slush-boxed CTS-V.

Coupe 60 + G8 name + GXP - Camaro = Perfection

-> Damn, those Holden duos caught me off-guard! And still I'll never forget this mule:

2010-Chevy-Camaro-Mule.jpg


112_0802_03z+holden_coupe_60+front_right_three_quarter_motion.jpg


medium_1408773370_455f9a80ba_o.jpg


112_0802_02z+holden_coupe_60+left_rear_three_quarter_static.jpg


-> You'd guys think I'd forget about the mule, hell no! :drool:
 
You know that "mule" is produced in the thousands already. It's a middle-eastern Chevy Lumina.
That photochopped Coupe 60 is a damn fine job boy. Looks dead set real. I'd like the Holden version more though- we always look better.:sly:
That Coupe 60 better weigh 1600kg or less- otherwise it will perform pretty much the same as a Commodore as they have the same wheel base. Come on Holden, do this right!!!!!

Edit: You know, aside from the ride height and wheel size this almost looks production ready. Even the rear view mirrors look like a production car's. Here's some interior pics- the whole car has been inspired by the V8 Supercars.
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/holden-coupe-60/668258/

Coupe%2060-08.jpg

This pic sourced from www.caradvice.com.au
 
You know that "mule" is produced in the thousands already. It's a middle-eastern Chevy Lumina.
That photochopped Coupe 60 is a damn fine job boy. Looks dead set real. I'd like the Holden version more though- we always look better.:sly:
That Coupe 60 better weigh 1600kg or less- otherwise it will perform pretty much the same as a Commodore as they have the same wheel base. Come on Holden, do this right!!!!!

Oh, I didn't know about the two door Lumina, currently on sale.

The Commodore and Coupe 60 do not have the same wheel base, according to this.

motorauthority.com
"Shorter than the VE sedan by nearly 60mm, the Coupe 60 combines stout proportions with taut styling that gives both the impression of race-track speed and road-going comfort. Huge 21" wheels wrapped in high-performance Kumhos give solid traction, which is a necessary considering the 6.0L V8 under the hood."
 
Oh, I didn't know about the two door Lumina, currently on sale.

The Commodore and Coupe 60 do not have the same wheel base, according to this.

60mm shorter but the same wheelbase

Originally posted by Autoblog
Removing the two rear doors has allowed designers to make the sports coupe concept a full 60 mm shorter than the VE Commodore sedan that shares the same rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform, but the coupe's long wheelbase remains identical to the sedan.
 
Only the Camaro gets away with using the smaller version of the Zeta chassis. Anything less would eventually end up being the Alpha chassis.
 
You know that "mule" is produced in the thousands already. It's a middle-eastern Chevy Lumina.
That photochopped Coupe 60 is a damn fine job boy. Looks dead set real. I'd like the Holden version more though- we always look better.:sly:
^ Although ti had some cues from the Mid-East Lumina, well it isn't, its a Camaro mule that was travelling all over Motown back then, and its not photo-chopped. This is.

gto_new_holden_coupe_60.jpg


^ Some GM fanboy (not YSS) did this, I just dug it on Jalopnik. :sly:

Jackington-> The Lumina [VE] coupe doesn't exist, just the sedan only. I do hope the [VE] coupe comes out not just the Camaro, I'm sick of it already. :sick:
 
Not sure whether this is relevent but, I saw a Pontiac G8 on road today, and snapped a few pics. I cant upload pics right now but I'll post them somewhere later today.
 
^ Although ti had some cues from the Mid-East Lumina, well it isn't, its a Camaro mule that was travelling all over Motown back then, and its not photo-chopped. This is.

gto_new_holden_coupe_60.jpg


^ Some GM fanboy (not YSS) did this, I just dug it on Jalopnik. :sly:

Jackington-> The Lumina [VE] coupe doesn't exist, just the sedan only. I do hope the [VE] coupe comes out not just the Camaro, I'm sick of it already. :sick:

Oops, I almost forgot about that Camaro mule, I didn't even look at that part of the car.
We had someone here on GTP do a photochop of the Coupe 60.
 
Not sure whether this is relevent but, I saw a Pontiac G8 on road today, and snapped a few pics. I cant upload pics right now but I'll post them somewhere later today.

Well, you beat me...

They're supposed to just be starting to show up here in the States, but I've yet to see one.
 
Well, you beat me...

They're supposed to just be starting to show up here in the States, but I've yet to see one.
I've caught 2 in downtown Dallas. Don't really stand out, nor are they really good looking in traffic.
 
I've caught 2 in downtown Dallas. Don't really stand out, nor are they really good looking in traffic.

Says you. They look kick-ass.
 
I've caught 2 in downtown Dallas. Don't really stand out, nor are they really good looking in traffic.

I've been worried about them blending in. I assume the hood scoops were part of the "eye catching" package of the car, thank the good lord above they stayed away from the body cladding as well...

As a GM guy, I keep on associating the G8 and CTS into the same little segment, and in that respect, the CTS is far more eye-catching because of that GIANT chrome grille. The first time I saw the CTS on the street, my jaw dropped and I wanted to turn around and chase the car back to the dealer... I have no idea if I'll do the same with the G8, but I don't think I can write the styling off as anything less than quite-good. I mean, look at the competition in that class...

We'll see. Wenzel should be getting the first G8s soon I'd think, maybe if I go out tomorrow to look at cars I'll see if I can get my hands on one.
 
Says you. They look kick-ass.

Yea?

Commodores stood out much more than the G8's when I was at the Holden factory last. Though I do appreciate the G8's styling restraint.


I don't see why these cars should have to stand out in the traffic so much, reminds me of the same complaints about the GTO (monaro gto's).
 
Says you. They look kick-ass.
I'm not saying they're ugly. But here in Dallas, unless you're actually looking for one, or at least know what one generally looks like, you're going to miss it. There's too many pickups, buses, & your usual sedans for the G8s to be noticed here. And then there's the fact that no one's going to look at a G8 if they see a $80,000 Jaguar or Mercedes driving towards a car park.
 
Yea?

Commodores stood out much more than the G8's when I was at the Holden factory last. Though I do appreciate the G8's styling restraint.


I don't see why these cars should have to stand out in the traffic so much, reminds me of the same complaints about the GTO (monaro gto's).

What were you doing at a Holden factory, see anything good?

I'm not saying they're ugly. But here in Dallas, unless you're actually looking for one, or at least know what one generally looks like, you're going to miss it. There's too many pickups, buses, & your usual sedans for the G8s to be noticed here. And then there's the fact that no one's going to look at a G8 if they see a $80,000 Jaguar or Mercedes driving towards a car park.

I would honestly look at the G8, with its pumped wheel arches, aggressive pose and large presence. Jags and Mercs bore me, except the XKR and XJ 220 of course. Otherwise a sedan from Jag or Merc may as well be a Camry to me.
 
What were you doing at a Holden factory, see anything good?


My work takes me there from time to time. I saw a whole bunch of Pontiac G8's of various colours in some sort of evaluation area, but only Commodores were being built on the lines at the time.
 
Damn, no secrets under wraps.
 
Uh oh, someone dipped into the Pontiac pot for this one...

112_news290802_02l+pontiac_GTO+front_three_quarter_drawing.jpg


Motortrend
This car look familiar? Check the sculpted bodyside and the low-slung greenhouse. Check the wheel-in-each-corner stance and bob-tail rear end. Yep, it's basically the stunning Holden Coupe 60 unveiled in Australia yesterday. But with a modern interpretation of the classic wide-track Pontiac grille up front.

Now, here's the kicker: These photos are about three years old. This car is the still-born Zeta-based GTO replacement killed off by GM's decision to spend money on fast-tracking the GMT900 trucks into production instead. With funds diverted to GMT900, works on all U.S. Zeta-based products was stopped. This coupe, and a Buick sedan, did not make the cut when the program was re-started some months later.

112_news290802_04z+pontiac_GTO+front_three_quarter_drawing.jpg


Apart from the fact they reveal the Holden Coupe 60 is basically a three-year old design (executed under the direction of Mike Simcoe, the quietly talented Aussie responsible for the Commodore/G8 and now the designer with overall responsibility for all GM rear drive unibody cars) these pictures also show GM was contemplating a radically different front end design for the Zeta-based Pontiacs.

Had it been approved, this car's "wide-track" look would have appeared on the G8 sedan. However we understand it was a considerably more expensive option than the design that made it into production, primarily because it would have required unique headlights.

112_news290802_06z+pontiac_GTO+front_end_drawing.jpg


As we said in our story yesterday, the appearance of the Holden Coupe 60 doesn't necessarily mean a new Holden Monaro, and therefore a new Pontiac GTO (or G8 Coupe) is on the way. Holden needs Pontiac volumes to make production of the Monaro viable, but GM officials are worried that with the impending launches of both Dodge Challenger and Chevy Camaro, the U.S. coupe market is fast becoming saturated.

But what we do know now is GM could build a new GTO if we really wanted one.

Without question, that is a HUGE surprise. A three year old design still looks stunning, but still, it all just makes your head spin. I can't imagine them not doing a coupe after the overwhelmingly positive response the car has received, and if this already draws inspiration from a Pontiac, I see no reason why it couldn't come to the US as a G8 Coupe either.

GM needs a "grown-up" coupe for the older folks, between this and the CTC, I think they could have those bases easily covered.
 
They look like Photoshops to me.
 
Yeah, I wonder if they were real. Maybe Motor Trend got sucked in by some GM hating crazy fool.
 
Well, I just got the first G8 GT/Charger R/T comparo in my MT.

G8 Won.

Were we expecting anything less?
 
Back