Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,946 views
Without question, that is a HUGE surprise. A three year old design still looks stunning, but still, it all just makes your head spin.

Stunning? You mean rotting rigor mortis stunned? Because that design is putridly ugly. I'm SO HAPPY that didn't make it to production. It would've been FAIL on four wheels.
 
Stunning? You mean rotting rigor mortis stunned? Because that design is putridly ugly. I'm SO HAPPY that didn't make it to production. It would've been FAIL on four wheels.

You're talking about the Potiac design? You're right, it's so ugly I don't believe it's Pontiac's. I'm sure it's a photochop of the Holden Coupe 60 which is breathtaking. Someone's out trying to make GM look bad.
 
No, I remember seeing those photos years ago. That had been the discussed design for some time (taking cues from the Second Gen GTO), to please the vintage fans in a trend that was otherwise just beginning to bud.

Stick the G8 front end on the concept, and it looks great. Just don't call it a GTO this time...
 
Agreed.


Call it Grand Prix.

Or just SJ. :D
 
Or how about a G8 C? Stands for G8 Coupe, like G8 ST stands for G8 Sport Truck (even though it's a ute)
 
They'd likely just call it a G8 Coupe here in the States. The Coupe name tends to equal sales. Its worked out moderately well for the G6 Coupe...
 
08_black_cam_c5_spy.jpg


01_black_cam_c5_spy.jpg


02_black_cam_c5_spy.jpg


Interesting that the gas filler is on the right. Oh well... Looking good so far!
 
Looks like you can still take your boat along with you to your track day events.

Gas filler on the right? Problem? It's on the right in all of our cars.
 
Most American cars (and those designed for the US market) are on the left. Its not a problem for me, I had my filler on the right in my Jetta.

Our old Camaro? Behind the license plate. Bad-ass...
 
Most American cars (and those designed for the US market) are on the left. Its not a problem for me, I had my filler on the right in my Jetta..

Maybe it's an attempt to make it classy or easier to adapt to foreign markets. I have no problem not using this subtle form of flag waving.
 
They started shoving the LS2 in the GTO in 2005, following its introduction in the Corvette. According to the Wiki, you guys had the L76 in the VZ, not the LS2. They're related of course, but had a little less power and was related more to the LQ9 than anything else. That, as a matter of fact, has carried over to the VE and indeed is the V8 we find in our G8.



I don't think they'd overshoot the 550 BHP standard set by the CTS-V because of that. Given that the Pontiac and the Cadillac weigh about the same (give or take about 200 lbs), the performance would be too close and the price difference wouldn't be enough to justify the Cadillac option. Using the LS7, keeping the power down to 505 BHP, would keep the distance... Well, at least one would think that.



Depends, but yes, I think you're about right. The G8 GT is a bit faster than the 535i, thanks to the extra 60 BHP, but it wouldn't take that much more than 500 BHP to keep up with the M5. The 414 BHP Clubsport R8/VXR8 does just fine, and thats down 100 BHP. So I guess we just have to be happy with the LS3 in the end?

G8 GT = perfect

For the money 362bhp isn't anything to sneeze at. That is huge value for money.

How could they not put a redline on the gauge cluster?

I've seen quite a few vehicles from all parts of the world without a redline. I don't think its a big deal. If you want a redline get an aftermarket cluster.

According to our EPA:

Pontiac G8 (3.6L LY7, 5A)
- 17 city, 25 highway

Pontiac G8 GT (6.0L L76, 6A)
- 15 city, 24 highway

There also aren't any ratings for the manual version(s?), but I'd expect a modest improvement in that case. Certainly not class-leading, but certainly in the mix for cars of that size.

Why the hell would you get the V6 model? Honestly, the V8 isn't that much less MPG and it is faster. Win win to me.

It's the HSV W427.

*pics removed to save bandwidth*

Didn't look too hard, but I couldn't find these posted anywhere else. Holy Jebus this looks good.

*pics removed to save bandwidth*

Edit: Saw them in the Melbourne Motor Show thread. Duh. Oh well. I reckon the car looks good enough to be in both.

Ooh, that Coupe60 is really quite nice. Can't wait to see it in person.

In the meantime, YSSMAN mentioned something about a Pontiac grille? I just photochopped this up now, 'tis a quick job but looks alright I think!

*pics removed to save bandwidth*

Thanks guys, you gave me an erection with those pornographic images. :dopey:

Holy S!

That is the most kickass "Pontiac" I've seen!

Forget about the GTO, forget about the Firebird, I want a damned G8 Coupe!

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA! Back it up son. I can live with the GTO being dead but the Firebird is much more important.

I'm not saying they're ugly. But here in Dallas, unless you're actually looking for one, or at least know what one generally looks like, you're going to miss it. There's too many pickups, buses, & your usual sedans for the G8s to be noticed here. And then there's the fact that no one's going to look at a G8 if they see a $80,000 Jaguar or Mercedes driving towards a car park.

I'm going to have to completely agree here. In this area what turns heads isn't reflective of the rest of the world. Someone with a jacked up Ford F250 will turn heads, as well as something that costs $75k+. I will say however that I've seen a few people turn and glare at Mini Cooper S', newer GTO's, Roush/Saleen Mustangs, Dodge SRT8 anything, and or a well maintained classic.
 
JCE
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA! Back it up son. I can live with the GTO being dead but the Firebird is much more important.

Well, you're getting neither. It'll be the G8 Coupe, and that'll be it.
 
Well, you're getting neither. It'll be the G8 Coupe, and that'll be it.

I can live with it I guess. Hopefully some aftermarket company will make some Firebird/Trans-Am bodywork for the new Camaro. :D
 
I'm absolutely positive that they'll make a kit to change the Camaro over, and furthermore, I'm positive they'll have one to turn the G8 ST to the El Camino we deserve.
 
I'm absolutely positive that they'll make a kit to change the Camaro over, and furthermore, I'm positive they'll have one to turn the G8 ST to the El Camino we deserve.

As much as I'd like to do this, I wouldn't dare. Customization kits in the long run decrease value of a vehicle, and they can be quite kitschy.
 
As much as I'd like to do this, I wouldn't dare. Customization kits in the long run decrease value of a vehicle, and they can be quite kitschy.

Then buy 2 Camaros. Problem solved. :D
 
I wouldn't convert a car either. A lot of people will tell you how domb you are. Plus I'm a firm believer in keeping a car as the model it was made. Body kits are OK and all but putting SS badges on a V6 Commodore 👎
 
Maybe it's an attempt to make it classy or easier to adapt to foreign markets. I have no problem not using this subtle form of flag waving.

Thats the side Commdore always has it..... Zeta...
 
Thats the side Commdore always has it..... Zeta...

That's true, Commodores have been like that for well over a decade now. It's all because it was made in Australia. Well, mostly anyway.........
 
I really hope that isn't the production Camaro and still just a test one because that doesn't look very good...especially the rear end. What happened to the concept? It wasn't nearly that jagged around the edges.

And the gas filler on the passenger side would drive me nuts since I'm so used to it being on the driver side...which if you think about it makes sense.
 
I wouldn't convert a car either. A lot of people will tell you how domb you are. Plus I'm a firm believer in keeping a car as the model it was made.

You really are closed minded aren't you? Tasteful modifications and conversions have been going on in every part of the world for decades. I don't find anything wrong with it.

So by your opinion the original KITT was rubbish? :grumpy: Yea, ok.
 
I really hope that isn't the production Camaro and still just a test one because that doesn't look very good...especially the rear end. What happened to the concept? It wasn't nearly that jagged around the edges.

My guess would be that its about 85% (or maybe more) representative of the production models. The headlights will change, the tail lights likely will too, and obviously the gills and the scoop will be cut out on the production car.

w_camaro_cr_march08_priddy2.jpg


w_camaro_cr_march08_priddy1.jpg


w_camaro_cr_march08_priddy3.jpg


Obviously the body lines will be cleaned up a bit, panel gaps tightened, but yes... This is pretty much what we're going to get.

Personally speaking, GM gets +10000 Kudos for making it this close to the concept....

And the gas filler on the passenger side would drive me nuts since I'm so used to it being on the driver side...which if you think about it makes sense.

Your MINI is on the driver's side? I would have figured it to be on the passenger side... Oh well.

It really doesn't matter much to me personally, it all works out the same either way. My Jetta and Fox had it on the passenger side, the Camry and the Grand Prix are on the driver's side. Meh, its all the same to me...

I believe Tachikoma's tank is on the right. That'll be fine...
 
Your MINI is on the driver's side? I would have figured it to be on the passenger side... Oh well.

The Mini is a BMW, so should that make sense about where the fuel filler cap is? They are LHD like the US.

*edit*And I know they are probably made in the UK so lets not go there.
 
Well, yes... I would have figured they'd stick it on the passenger side to be "vintage" or something. But yes, most German cars are on the left as well.

Thing is: My German cars weren't.
 
I think the final version will look pretty good. I would assume that it will look far more finished when it hits the showrooms, and that will probably make it look great.

But yes, most German cars are on the left as well.

Thing is: My German cars weren't.

Errr. A little research points to all Mercs and BMWs having it on the right. That and three VWs to have it on the right makes me think the Germans usually put it there....
 
Yup the Mini is on the driver side.
 
JCE
You really are closed minded aren't you? Tasteful modifications and conversions have been going on in every part of the world for decades. I don't find anything wrong with it.

So by your opinion the original KITT was rubbish? :grumpy: Yea, ok.

I'm not close minded, I just have something against putting labels on something it isn't. Like when a drag queen calls himself a lady *shudders*
Making a car different (like KITT) and claiming a car is something it isn't are different things.
 
Making a car different (like KITT) and claiming a car is something it isn't are different things.

Hes right...

Its one thing to modify a car to make it like something similar, its another to take one car and make it something completely different and trying to sell it as such. One is reminded of the Chevelle conversion on the GTO...

hrss454005large.jpg


Granted, converting the G8 ST to the Chevy El Camino it should have been would be a minor exorcise in importing parts from the Middle-East to the US. The Firebird? Well, thats a whole 'nother thing that the aftermarket will have to take care of.
 
News

Autoblog
Chevy Camaro to be a 2010 model, not 2009
In a case of what appears to be semantics, Chevy has revealed that the Camaro will now be a 2010 model, rather than a 2009 model. The semantic part is that the car will go on sale in the spring of 2009, yet still be called a 2010 Camaro. The reason the car won't go on sale earlier in 2009 is because Chevy says "it would have meant a short model run before changeover to "10 production".

So we aren't sure how the car could go on sale earlier in 2009 unless Chevy began selling it in the rather un-Camaro-like season of winter. We also aren't sure why it matters whether they call it a 2009 or a 2010 -- people just want to take deliveries of their Camaros already. And we aren't sure what sort of apocalyptic upheaval takes places between '09 and '10 production.

Chevy: give us the Camaro. Please. Call it a 5150 or 10,000 B.C. model year car, we're not particular. To paraphrase the Bard, it isn't the model year that will be the death of us, it's the wait for the car. Just so you prospective buyers know, the convertible will go on sale a year later, in the actual year of 2010, and will also be called a 2010 model. Together, Chevy expects to move 100,000 units annually of the revived musclecar, if it ever gets here.
 
Back