Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,952 views
I know it' a Daewoo, the only one I'd consider if was in that market. It looks much better than the Camry and would be a smoother ride thanks to the smooth engine and soft suspension. Plus it's more fuel economic than Camry. The only complaint I've heard about it so far is the lack of torque.

Epica_CDXi.jpg

God damn that car has a ugly face :yuck: I think I would prefer a Camry, no wait I'll just get the Accord or Aura no wait the Accord, I don't know. No wait I want a Mazda 6... No.... just anything other then that and a Camry.

I like the G8, but I'm just getting a tad bit tired of seeing a billion different concepts of it. And the interior isn't anything to scream about, but imo it is a step forward for GM, which is good to see.
 
One problem Jim:

The 362-BHP "standard" G8 GT is actually just as fast as the 425-BHP Charger SRT-8. My guess is that with the extra 40 BHP, the Pontiac will blow the Mopar into the weeds...
The G8 GT is only .2 seconds quicker on a 0-60, .4 seconds to 100, and only .3 seconds faster in a QTR strip...than a Charger R/T.

The SRT8 (based on the 2006 model), is .5 seconds quicker in the QTR mile, .4 seconds quicker to 60, and nearly 2 seconds quicker to 100.
If anything the G8 GT is a Charger R/T competitor and the magazines agree.

So, um, yeah. Keep dreaming about the G8 GT being a SRT8 competitor.💡
 
So, um, yeah. Keep dreaming about the G8 GT being a SRT8 competitor.💡

One recalls that Edmunds had them pulling similar times when they tested them back-to-back, and even then, the numbers are pretty close considering the price difference and the definite power deficit that the Pontiac has.

By no means would I ever compare it directly to the SRT-8, its going for the R/T and 300C, but the fact that it can hold its own is pretty impressive.
 
God damn that car has a ugly face :yuck: I think I would prefer a Camry, no wait I'll just get the Accord or Aura no wait the Accord, I don't know. No wait I want a Mazda 6... No.... just anything other then that and a Camry.

I like the G8, but I'm just getting a tad bit tired of seeing a billion different concepts of it. And the interior isn't anything to scream about, but imo it is a step forward for GM, which is good to see.

Well I like the Epica, IMO, the Mazda 6 is horrible in appearance (older ones, new one isn't too bad, but I just don't like Mazda), the Accord is too Vulgar (right word there? I think it is), and the Euro Accord is too tiny, and I would get a Malibu or Aura but they're not sold in Australia............yet.
 
Edmunds tested the G8 GT against the R/T of which were similar, but far off the SRT's.
 
So then enter GXP?
 
It was from the origional test of the G8 that they did...

Edumunds Inside Line
The conversation went something like this: "Hey, Steve, come by with the Bee. Let's see how it stacks up against this 2008 Pontiac G8 GT."

Motorhead Steve lives up the street. His dad was a Dodge dealer back in the 1960s. The guy knows option codes from the muscle car era like they're his kids' names and has a tattoo on his left forearm that reads "Mopar is Mom." More important, he just bought himself a screaming yellow 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee. We knew he wouldn't hesitate.

"Now?" he asked.

"Now."

"Be there in five."

Ten minutes later we were lined up.

Declining Numbers at an Even Rate
Honestly, we didn't think we had a chance. The 2008 Pontiac G8 GT is powered by a 6.0-liter V8 rated at 361 horsepower at 5,300 rpm and 385 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm. Steve's Mopar, a virtual twin to the one we tested a few months ago, is packing a 6.1-liter V8 pumping 425 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.

We clicked off the Pontiac's traction control with the clearly marked button ahead of its shifter and brake-torqued the big V8 to 2,000 rpm. To our right we could hear Steve do the same. On the count of three we went for it.

Both cars left clean, with just a turn or two of tire slip. Then Steve pulled a fender on us. No surprise considering his Bee's torque advantage. But that's all he had. Past 60 mph the Mopar was still just a fender ahead. The Pontiac's six-speed automatic clicked off clean, crisp gearchanges just before its 6,000-rpm rev limiter, and kept pace with that Charger well past 100 mph.

We raced again. And again. And again. It was like a scene out of Woodward Avenue circa 1969, only we were in sedans, with sunroofs and heated seats, on a deserted, burned-out industrial section of downtown Los Angeles. Every race was a carbon copy of the first.

We lost. But not by much.

Steve wasn't happy. His Mopar had more power, louder paint and many more stickers than the G8 GT. It also costs more than the Pontiac, which carries a base price of $29,995 and tops out at $32,745 with our red car's sunroof, leather and big wheel and tire option. No, Steve wasn't happy at all.

Guess I read it wrong, but still, impressive performance being down more than 80 BHP... The GXP should wipe the floor with the SRT-8 without a problem.
 
I read the GXP had exactly 300kw- surely not. The Vette's LS3 makes 330something kw and even the standard LS2 in HSVs make 307kw. What's the go? Is LS3 detuned for the G8 GXP or was that article wrong?
 
Well I like the Epica, IMO, the Mazda 6 is horrible in appearance (older ones, new one isn't too bad, but I just don't like Mazda), the Accord is too Vulgar (right word there? I think it is), and the Euro Accord is too tiny, and I would get a Malibu or Aura but they're not sold in Australia............yet.

Nuh uh, 6's and the new Accord coupe are pure sex. And I was disappointed with the new Malibu and Aura at the SF Auto show. There interior reminded me of the old GM :(
 
Matter of opinion :p I think the new Accord Coupe (should be talking sedans) is butt ugly, and the new 6 isn't too bad but old ones are horridly boring like Camrys. I'd still take the Epica, or more likely wait for Alpha platform.
 
Eugh. I wouldn't be caught dead in that Epica. What a hideous car. For once I'm quite glad with what we have.
 
Well I like the Epica, IMO, the Mazda 6 is horrible in appearance (older ones, new one isn't too bad, but I just don't like Mazda), the Accord is too Vulgar (right word there? I think it is), and the Euro Accord is too tiny, and I would get a Malibu or Aura but they're not sold in Australia............yet.

The Euro Accord is only 13cm shorter and 5cm narrower. Have you been in an Epica? Once you go in an Epica you'll realise that it's a poorly made, poorly designed, slow, ugly and quite thristy POS. It's still derived from the Leganza which was released in 1997. And that you'd even consider one over an Accord, Euro, 6, Camry or even Sonata is comical.
 
Thirsty? It's more fuel efficient than every other car you just mentioned. I have been in one, and it seemed fine. I haven't driven one, but Wheels say it's a very smooth and comfy ride that just doesn't have any balls. When I sat in a Euro Accord even with the front seat all the way back my knees were still jammed into the glove box. And the driver's seat I could barely make my feet reach the pedals because the dash got in the road of my knees again. Sonata I quite like though, the new ones that is. Hyundai are really getting their act together and are now by far my favourite Asian car maker. As I said I realy just don't like Mazda, and Toyota is boring and I don't like them either (except for one or 2 specific Toyotas like Supra and IS-F).
So that leaves me with either the quite capable Epica, or the Sonata in the mid-size category.
 
Hyundai are really getting their act together and are now by far my favourite Asian car maker.



You like Hyundai more than Daewoo.... by far?! GM feels betrayed :p
 
Well, Daewoo don't have any "exciting" cas, and the Epica/Tosca is the only half good-looking one (IMO) so yes- GO HYUNDAI out of all the Asian car makers.
 
Thirsty? It's more fuel efficient than every other car you just mentioned.
Comparisons to other cars do not stop a car being thirsty. ANY car only making 115kw and only getting about 10L/100km is thirsty. And secondly, you're wrong because the Sonata produces more power and uses less fuel. While all the others basically use the same amount of fuel but have more power.

As I said I realy just don't like Mazda
Ok
Toyota is boring and I don't like them either
Cause the Epica is so amazingly exciting right?!

So that leaves me with either the quite capable Epica, or the Sonata in the mid-size category.
Or the Mondeo, which rapes the Epica in so many ways its not funny. Or the Octavia, or the Magentis. Or a Jetta for a little bit more. Or every car I mentioned previously.
 
Manual Epica gets 8.2L/100km. Manual Sonata gets 8.3 :p
A car isn't going to be exciting performance-wise in this category, and I've already said I like the Epica's looks. Mondeo is really ugly in my opinion.
 
Thirsty? It's more fuel efficient than every other car you just mentioned. I have been in one, and it seemed fine. I haven't driven one, but Wheels say it's a very smooth and comfy ride that just doesn't have any balls. When I sat in a Euro Accord even with the front seat all the way back my knees were still jammed into the glove box. And the driver's seat I could barely make my feet reach the pedals because the dash got in the road of my knees again. Sonata I quite like though, the new ones that is. Hyundai are really getting their act together and are now by far my favourite Asian car maker. As I said I realy just don't like Mazda, and Toyota is boring and I don't like them either (except for one or 2 specific Toyotas like Supra and IS-F).
So that leaves me with either the quite capable Epica, or the Sonata in the mid-size category.
More fuel efficient? and crampt? the Accord? Well the Accord for one is not crampt, I have a friends dad that sat in the front and the back seats at the SF Auto Show and he is almost 7 feet, and he was comfy enough for decently long drive. And the Accord produces so more power with slightly better gas mileage. And it's probably 10x more reliable. And I don't even want to start on the interior comparison.
Manual Epica gets 8.2L/100km. Manual Sonata gets 8.3 :p
A car isn't going to be exciting performance-wise in this category, and I've already said I like the Epica's looks. Mondeo is really ugly in my opinion.
So if cars in this category are not supposed to be zippy fun why are you blaming the Toyota is so boring???

Yes the Sonata is a good car but Hyundai copied so much from the last gen Accord it's not even funny. My dad has a 03' Accord EX that he got new for $25k with pretty much all the options checked other then that it's using a 4 pot but it's still quick. My dad used to race Muscle cars at tracks mind you ;) and he majored in auto engineering in college. So I think I trust what he says.

Still I see a couple Daewoo's in the area every now and then and I will pretty much everyone looks like a pile of plastic with super gray interior that makes me blind.
 
I read the GXP had exactly 300kw- surely not. The Vette's LS3 makes 330something kw and even the standard LS2 in HSVs make 307kw. What's the go? Is LS3 detuned for the G8 GXP or was that article wrong?

I don't think its completely de-tuned, but certainly I assume the air-intake and exhaust have something to do with it. Its a fair bit more restrictive, but of course, nothing that can't be fixed easily with a few aftermarket parts.
 
On the Epica-> I'm still not convinced about the Epica, maybe when I get the chance going back in the Philippines maybe I may take it for a drive (if the car is available there as a Chevy). ;)

On the GXP-> I'd take the GXP just simply because it has three pedals. Or I could just get a used CTS-V, but nah. I like Aussie muscle more than US muscle. :p
 
2010-Chevy-Camaro-SS.jpg


GM is good at teasing us Camaro fans. Absolutely perfect SS livery. I just need to see it with stripes now...

And whats with the whining sound? Who wants to bet that the SS gets the LSA?
 
More fuel efficient? and crampt? the Accord? Well the Accord for one is not crampt, I have a friends dad that sat in the front and the back seats at the SF Auto Show and he is almost 7 feet, and he was comfy enough for decently long drive. And the Accord produces so more power with slightly better gas mileage. And it's probably 10x more reliable. And I don't even want to start on the interior comparison.

So if cars in this category are not supposed to be zippy fun why are you blaming the Toyota is so boring???

Yes the Sonata is a good car but Hyundai copied so much from the last gen Accord it's not even funny. My dad has a 03' Accord EX that he got new for $25k with pretty much all the options checked other then that it's using a 4 pot but it's still quick. My dad used to race Muscle cars at tracks mind you ;) and he majored in auto engineering in college. So I think I trust what he says.

Still I see a couple Daewoo's in the area every now and then and I will pretty much everyone looks like a pile of plastic with super gray interior that makes me blind.

So, you are talking about the large Accord? Because the Euro Accord is the one I'm referring to, and it is 100% cramped- otherwise don't call me a liar. Plus I just did some research and every Accord model available is over 9L/100km, which is 1L/100km worse than the manual Epica. So don't tell me the Accord gets better mileage- because it doesn't. I blame Toyotas for being boring in the styling department, as I pretty much said already. All other Daewoos I admit are crap, but the Epica is the only one I half like- and only as a mid-size sedan.

2010-Chevy-Camaro-SS.jpg


GM is good at teasing us Camaro fans. Absolutely perfect SS livery. I just need to see it with stripes now...

And whats with the whining sound? Who wants to bet that the SS gets the LSA?

What whining sound? That's a picture not a movie :p Otherwise it looks tough :D
 
Ooops... Forgot to mention this:

Camaro5 Boards
We've been told that it sounded like "a demon"! And had a whistling sound at idle

Leads one to believe that its got the LSA under the hood. Seems far more likely that the Z/28 would make it by with just the regular LS3. Or maybe the L76. Hard to say...

I think Dad ordered a Z/28, but if he did go for the SS, I can't wait to see what this sucker will be like in person!
 
That will be one wild car!
 
yes.. if they keep it waaaaaay under 3800lbs.
 
That's like 1900kg right? It should be under that, maybe 1700kg? Anyone know the weight? It might even be less being a Coupe, I'm just referencing the Commodore (V6 model weighs 1730kg)
 
it's about 1800kg, which is what new Challenger weights, thanks to being based on charger/magnum/300C/ancient E-class platform. Why can't they simply create individual, lightweight and dynamic platform for sportscars and leave the luxo barge platforms for luxo barges? is it really too much to ask for?
 
That's like 1900kg right? It should be under that, maybe 1700kg? Anyone know the weight? It might even be less being a Coupe, I'm just referencing the Commodore (V6 model weighs 1730kg)


3800lb's is roughly 1725kg's.
 
Well I think people will be surprised how well this can handle. A Coupe version of the Zeta Commodore can only be a step up in handling, which is quite good in the Commodore.
 
Back