Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,969 views
I suppose the Turbo I4 would be marketed more towards the crowd that enjoys power and fuel economy, yet doesn't care much about the exhaust note...
 
I still don't understand why people think a turbo four cylinder doesn't sound good.
 


^ that's why. they're all over place.
 
I still don't understand why people think a turbo four cylinder doesn't sound good.

I don't, either. It always seemed a bit of a personal bias to me... I was rather surprised when I arrived at a classic-car meet that, after hearing so much about the wonderful V8 sound, it just sounded so dull. Like some industrial machine. Even when it was in a '60s Mustang doing a launch, or a C3 'Vette. Meanwhile, the sporty hatchbacks that drove around sounded far, far sharper.
 
^ that's why. they're all over place.

Interesting noise. Undriveable road car.

When I put my foot down, I want instant response. I don't mind VTEC or it's equivalent, my Mitsubishi is the best example of the breed I've ever driven (possibly because I've not had a go in an NSX) and that includes Preludes, ITRs, Civics etc ad.inf.

Even the best modern turbos (e.g. Focus ST) are just too hesitant for me, it would drive me mad. Inn the case of this Civic, having something which you need a sundial to figure when the boost arrives is not my idea of fun. I think that if I ever managed to put the 6A13TT in the FTO, I would have ultimately given up the car - or found a big supercharger to do the job instead.

But his is all 'IMO'.

More Camaro spyshots. Doesn't it look baaaaadass in black? Not sure about the wheels in those shots, seem a bit spindly in that graphite finish. How about them Z06 rims instead? :)
 
I still don't understand why people think a turbo four cylinder doesn't sound good.

I personally think 4 cylinders are usually too high pitched for my tastes. I perfer the low rumble of a V8 not to mention the oh-so-lovely rough idle of the late-60's.
 
I separate the exhaust notes into different categories by cylinder count, and generally choose not to compare them if I don't have to. That being said, there are stand-out sounds, and preference usually goes towards the higher cylinder counts (usually). Well, not always. But you get the point...

No, the Camaro won't sound "right" with a Turbo I4, but as I recall the LN1 has a very throaty "howl" as opposed to the more stereotypical "scream" that other I4 exhausts have.

Have a listen to what will be in there (from the 2007 Saturn Sky Red Line)



Its not my preference, but its not bad either. I generally prefer that snarl from the Nissan/Infiniti VQ V6 or the GM Small-Block V8. Then again, a Ferrari V12 is about the sweetest sound you can get.
 
Even the best modern turbos (e.g. Focus ST) are just too hesitant for me, it would drive me mad.
Which again brings up the point that the Ecotec 260 is far away from best modern turbo.
 
I'm not sure where they're getting their figures for the LS3 in the Corvette, but its a higher output than what they quoted. On the "standard" Corvette it is 430 hp (321 kW) and 424 lb·ft (575 N·m) of torque, and the power increases just a little bit when you add the free-flow exhaust kit.

It looks like you guys are getting the same power-cut on the LS3 that we're getting for the G8 GXP... About 400 BHP. Nothing to complain about really, the engine is still packing a HUGE punch, and certainly is a bit more efficent than the LS2 its replacing.

We get 317kw, that's over 420hp thankyou, we get more punch or the GXP was under-rated.
 
Is 420hp not 'about 400' now?
 
No, it's much more. On a related topic though, I learned from Wheels Magazine today that Alfa Romeo (and Maserati) are looking to GM for RWD platforms
 
No, it's much more. On a related topic though, I learned from Wheels Magazine today that Alfa Romeo (and Maserati) are looking to GM for RWD platforms

Looks like they are looking to Jaguar instead:

Left Lane News
Alfa to share platforms, dealerships with Jaguar?
Now that Jaguar's sale to Tata is as good as a done deal, it has been revealed that Fiat could team with Jaguar to produce premium rear-wheel drive vehicles for its Alfa Romeo brand and possibly even share some of the same dealerships — easing the Italian automaker's re-entry into the U.S. market.

“I think I would be more than pleased to collaborate with Tata in terms of Jaguar/ Range Rover, if in fact it ends up being owned by them,” Sergio Marchionne, Fiat's chief executive, told the Financial Times.

Fiat already has close ties with Tata — the Indian automaker purchasing Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford — as the two companies currently produce cars, engines and transmissions together in India. Tata head Ratan Tata also sits on Fiat's board.

The possible deal could also see Fiat using Jaguar and Land Rover dealerships for U.S. distribution, which would eliminate Fiat's need to start a dealer network from Scratch.

Fiat is also entertaining the idea of teaming with one of the Big Three U.S. automakers.

However, just as Chrysler has learned, it's not always a smart move to sell redundant vehicles under one roof.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/fiat-to-partner-with-jaguar.html

However, they do state they are entertaining the idea with teaming with one of the Big Three, but I doubt it's going to happen and if it does it probably will be Ford.
 
Chrysler fell through for them, they keep changing tact, perhaps Alfa are panicking. GM said at New York it was pretty much a done deal :confused:
 
However, they do state they are entertaining the idea with teaming with one of the Big Three, but I doubt it's going to happen and if it does it probably will be Ford.

Ford doesn't even have a halfway decent one finished yet. Granted, the Orion chassis is great, but I'd be shocked if they didn't want to use the Panther replacement (or something)...

That being said, the big Alfa discussion with the big three has been about buying/utilizing idle factories to increase capacity, not RWD architecture.

Personally speaking I'd like to see them use the GM stuff, but of course, its likely too big and too heavy. If they want something right away, using Ford's D2C chassis seems like a safe bet...
 
I just figured since there are talks with Jaguar there would be talks with Ford as well, despite the recent sale.
 
Personally speaking I'd like to see them use the GM stuff, but of course, its likely too big and too heavy.
I honestly don't think GM would want to even see FIAT in the same building as them, much less have a discussion with them.
 
With all this stuff GM is doing, you'd think the Camaro would be out by now...

camaroprodconv1.jpg


camaroprodconv2.jpg


...Oh, and GM High Performance looks like its already got parts for SEMA...

accessory3.jpg


accessory5.jpg


accessory2.jpg


accessory1.jpg


Well, at least it doesn't look too overdone...
 
What's the story behind that convertible?

And what's that red thing? :yuck: I see some really cool ideas in the car but that's just poorly executed. And what's with the different stripe schemes on either side :sick:? That's ridiculous. And why does the right side in one pic have the full stripes while the right in every other doesn't?

Put some normal stripes on it, put a subtle aero kit on, shove an LS7 under the hood, call it an RS SS and call it a day.

And I really hope they get around to building one soon. That concept they keep sending around to auto shows is really getting pretty boring. As cool as it is, it's starting to lose that "new and awesome" thrill for me.
 
And what's that red thing? :yuck: I see some really cool ideas in the car but that's just poorly executed. And what's with the different stripe schemes on either side :sick:? That's ridiculous. And why does the right side in one pic have the full stripes while the right in every other doesn't?

The red thing is a Camaro for GM Accessories to play with. The different stripes are SS on one side (longer side stripes) and RS on the other (Smaller Center stripe).

I'd link you to the autoblog article, but the proxy I was using to get there is being really slow.
 
After reading the articles, I don't know what to think. I'm having trouble believing they are real. With the convertible, why would they shoot the final face before we get to see the coupe? There are also other bits missing (see first article).

I finally got the different stripes. But those can't be real either, unless they photographed a couple different vehicles. The whole grille area and lights look like they are made of paper and more inset in the first pic. And why would the stripes be SS on the right in some pics and RS on the other? And the wheels are in a bunch of different combinations. And are those the concept's tails?

I'm calling BS on all of these.
 
Um I would assume that that red Camaro is just a prop/mock-up of different design ideas, thus the paper-looking headlights and different stripes on different sides.

Edit: Not a big fan of having a body kit on for the special versions, not to mention having the large rims.
 
Um I would assume that that red Camaro is just a prop/mock-up of different design ideas, thus the paper-looking headlights and different stripes on different sides.

It would be one thing if there was only one car but there are clearly two cars there based on the stripes, wheels and side skirts for the red car. Because the car with the two schemes appears to be trying to demonstrate both themes, why they would build a second to demonstrate one of those again doesn't make sense. This points to the cars being done in photoshop, in which case anybody could have done them.
 
OK from going to camaro5.com, it appears that they are just GM accessories ideas for the Camaro, thus why the wheels are different. The 4th pic might be a photoshop with the bondo-colored bodykit "painted", not to mention theres another 2 pics that weren't posted:
attachment.php

attachment.php
 
Does anyone see a bit of R34 Skyline in this car if you cover up the front half? I think it's a good thing.
 
Actually, when I saw the 'Shopped photo on the side I was thinking "huh, that reminds me a bit of the GT-R..."

Technically speaking, a Camaro with 500 BHP would compete with the GT-R, obviously, at thousands less.

(ha!)
 

Upon further review, it looks like it could actually be just one car with all the wood stuff attached and then a bunch of chops to make what more final versions would look like. My bad....

Does anyone see a bit of R34 Skyline in this car if you cover up the front half? I think it's a good thing.

I saw that too...
 
The front has a certain look to the old charger in the way that the grill and lights are placed backwards like an air scoop. lets hope it doesn't react as well as the old dodge.
 
Upon further review, it looks like it could actually be just one car with all the wood stuff attached and then a bunch of chops to make what more final versions would look like. My bad....

*ahem*


Yes, it's a clay mockup. You could just look at the windshield.... as it's opague.


EDIT:

Right from Autoblog people, full sized clay mockup.

Once again, Camaro5.com sends in these photos that appear to show the full-scale Camaro model being used by the GM Accessories design studio to test all the factory knick-knacks and bolt-ons that they have in the works. Forget the tease we all got via the upskirt video GM allowed to be filmed -- this shows the full monty.
 
-> Hmm...

accessory3.jpg


^ So much for over-hypness, that thing is rice. :yuck:

->And the cabrio/convertible looks very heavy. :indiff:
 
Back