Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,967 views
Doesn't the G8 offer similar skid pan numbers to a 5-series? Plus it's roomier, more muscular in style (yes I know that's opinion, but tell me I'm wrong), and it's far cheaper. People should cross-shop the G8 and 5-series, I think the G8 can win.
Skin pad numbers shouldn't really matter as the 5 Series has nothing to do with performance numbers. Only the 550i & the M5 should be talked to if you want performance in a 5. As for roomier, I personally don't see it. The G8 I've sat in feels slightly cramped (seat wise), which won't make a terrible difference to me since I'm not going to sacrifice a very clean looking interior for just a few more inches if the G8 is a little bigger.
 
Can I ask under what circumstances you sat in the G8? Was it front seat or back? And if it was the back seat how far back was the front seat? Because unless you are 7ft tall I really can't see the Commodore/G8 being cramped. I've sat in them at shows, I'm 6ft 2, and I can adjust the passenger seat so I have a good 9inches in front of my knees before the glovebox, and then still have around 6-8inches maybe in front of my knees sitting in the backseat before the back of the front seat. Does that make sense? Anyways, YSSMAN mentioned the leg room as well, there is decent head and shoulder room too.

PS- I guess we'll compare the new HSV W427 and the M5 shall we? Once performance numbers are actually released. ;)
 
The G8 I've sat in feels slightly cramped (seat wise)

I think you sat in the wrong car... I have one in the garage right now, and if you think the seats feel slightly cramped you must be one huge bloke (no offence intended as the seats are huge and if you think theyre cramped then im confused.)

Note: Not sure if HSV seats are the same as the SS or SSV, or that of the G8, just basing my opinion on the assumption that they are very simular.
 
I'm 6ft 2, and I can adjust the passenger seat so I have a good 9inches in front of my knees before the glovebox, and then still have around 6-8inches maybe in front of my knees sitting in the backseat before the back of the front seat.

I'm 6'4" and the only cars I've ever been in where my knees weren't jammed into the seat in front of me were cars like the A8, 7, S class and XJ. The G8 might be big, but I doubt it's that big. I don't remember having too many legroom issues with the G8 though.
 
I think you sat in the wrong car... I have one in the garage right now, and if you think the seats feel slightly cramped you must be one huge bloke (no offence intended as the seats are huge and if you think theyre cramped then im confused.)

Note: Not sure if HSV seats are the same as the SS or SSV, or that of the G8, just basing my opinion on the assumption that they are very simular.

Hey hey, we have a VE ower here :D What model?

I'm 6'4" and the only cars I've ever been in where my knees weren't jammed into the seat in front of me were cars like the A8, 7, S class and XJ. The G8 might be big, but I doubt it's that big. I don't remember having too many legroom issues with the G8 though.

It is extremely big, the VE, the Statesman/Caprice is bigger again, and would cetainly compete with those huge Germans. You shouldn't have any legroom issues in the G8, front or rear seat, unless someone as big as you are is sitting in the seat in front of you.........maybe then- just maybe.
 
I felt a bit uncomfortable in the G8, it wasn't cramped through.
 
Maybe its because of the cars I've been driving, but I thought the G8 felt very comfortable, if not, a little big (especially in the back). Granted, I'm pretty thin and at a slightly above average 6' and fractions of an inch, but it felt roomy. Whenever I check out a car I move the seat to how I'd want it and then sit behind it, just to see. There was more than enough room in the back to sit comfortably.

I will agree to the fact that the front felt a little "cramped," but it would be easy to get used to. It wasn't bad, but you certainly notice it. My guess is that (at least for me) it had to do with the overall size of the center console between the seats. I'm just not used to having that there...
 
I felt a bit uncomfortable in the G8, it wasn't cramped through.
Perhaps cramped wasn't the right word, but it didn't feel quite that nice to sit in. Which is strange, since I thought the Solstice was fine and I'd expect the G8 to feel better than a sport convertible.

Be it known, that when I was talking about the seat, I meant the side padding of the seats, not my leg room. I was stretched out a bit, so that may have been my issue.
 
-> Well, well, here's a sucessor of my personal favorite muscle car, the GTO 6.0.

pontiac.g8.coupe.concept.f34.500.jpg


Insideline
Pontiac Ponders G8 GXP Coupe


DETROIT — If the car enthusiasts within General Motors prevail, Pontiac will further expand its lineup of rear-wheel-drive performance vehicles to include a 400-plus-horsepower V8-powered G8 coupe. Just don't call it a GTO.

The coupe, which would be based on the Holden Coupe 60 concept the Australian division unveiled recently at the Melbourne auto show, would arrive in showrooms within three years' time.

Since neither the Firebird nor GTO name will likely to be revived for the Pontiac lineup, the G8 coupe will carry the performance mantle for the brand. To do battle with the big-horsepower Ford Shelby Mustang GT500KR, Dodge Challenger SRT8 and the upcoming Camaro SS, Pontiac will have to outfit its coupe with the 402-horsepower LS3 6.2-liter V8 that the company recently introduced at the New York auto show in the G8 GXP sedan.

As seen in these illustrations, the G8 Coupe GXP won't be a true hardtop like the Holden Coupe 60 Concept. Like the Camaro and Challenger it will grow a B-pillar and fixed rear side glass in production trim.

It'll also get the GXP sedan's 19-inch wheels, 245/40ZR19-spec summer tires and a version of the GXP's aggressive front fascia. That rolling gear would be attached to the sedan's stiff FE3 suspension and, like the sedan, the GXP coupe would offer an optional Tremec six-speed manual transmission.

Additionally, the G8 coupe, which has been developed alongside the Camaro, would be offered as the G8 Coupe GT, powered by the same 361-hp 6.0-liter used in the G8 GT sedan. Of course, this all assumes that a faction within General Motors that fears upcoming CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) standards doesn't quash the project.

"The G8 Coupe is not dead," said one source within the company. "This is an uphill battle. It shouldn't be. But it is." When pressed, our source indicates that the chance of getting the coupe is probably less than 50 percent.

Predictably, Bob Lutz is said to be in the pro-coupe camp. This isn't the first time the two factions have battled over G8 variants.

"The G8 GXP, the G8 sport truck and the G8 wagon were all part of the plan. Then they pulled all three just three or four months ago. It was a classic over-reaction to CAFE. We got the GXP back and, because Lutz is a big fan of the sport truck we got that back, too. But then Dodge killed the Magnum and that was the end of the wagon," our source says.

What this means to you: We don't care if they call it GTO or Firebird or Powder Puff. We still want this Corvette-motored coupe much more than a revival of the el Camino. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit

pontiac.g8.coupe.concept.r34.500.jpg


^ Well what some good news GM has brought, although it is not final unfortunately. But this seems promising I should say. I'd still call it GTO. :)
 
Pontiac G8 GXP Coupe just doesn't have that ring to it. A bit much of a mouthful.

And I doubt it'll see production seeing that GM will be wanting to move away from making one type of car, putting five different badges on and selling them all to the same person scheme they had going with the Firebird and Camaro back in the day. The only place I see for the car in the GM lineup is if they bump it more upmarket as a classier alternative to the Camaro.
 
Well, at least in my opinion, GM needs a premium RWD coupe beyond the upcoming CTS Coupe. Given that it'd be a bit cheaper, probably perform quite well, and keep those former Monte Carlo fans happy (to some extent), they could import a couple thousand and do just fine.

On the naming thing: It should be a G8 Coupe, and thats it. Keep the historic names off the back...
 
Hey hey, we have a VE ower here :D What model?.

07 HSV Clubsport R8.... with a few extra's :sly:

In the garage, and the old mans First Drive


Dont mean to shy away from the thread topic, its just a shame they dont come from the factory like this!
 
Well, at least in my opinion, GM needs a premium RWD coupe beyond the upcoming CTS Coupe. Given that it'd be a bit cheaper, probably perform quite well, and keep those former Monte Carlo fans happy (to some extent), they could import a couple thousand and do just fine.

Is the CTS Coupe going to be more of a sporty thing or a flasy, stylish touring thing more like what some of the bigger German coupes do? If they go that route with the CTS, then the G8 Coupe could fit in well as the big, bad muscle car (compared to a Camaro "pony car" or CTS "tourer") with a good interior. I'm just seeing such a small gap between what exists already that they will have to play it perfectly or it really isn't worth it. Then the question arises of whether the coupe market is big enough to support three "classes" at similar price points.
 
07 HSV Clubsport R8.... with a few extra's :sly:

In the garage, and the old mans First Drive


Dont mean to shy away from the thread topic, its just a shame they dont come from the factory like this!

You sir.......are a legend :sly: I assume you are also rich.:lol:
 
Is the CTS Coupe going to be more of a sporty thing or a flasy, stylish touring thing more like what some of the bigger German coupes do?

My guess is as good as yours at the moment. I'm under the assumption that it will be the spiritual successor to the El Dorado, but of course, be offered in a slightly more sporty configuration.

Between the Camaro (sporty, cheap), G8 Coupe (coupe for grown-ups) and CTSC (luxury touring), there should be a nice balance made available.
 
^ I'd take the G8 Coupe anyday.
 
Ahh the mines, if only they made a mine where you dig up rusted classic cars from barns and get paid just as much and keep what you want...........*A man can dream*

Does anyone know what the Holden Colorado will be? Is it going to be the same as the Chevy Colorado?

www.caradvice.com.au

Originally Posted by CarAdvice

With trademark issues with the Rodeo name, GM Holden is set to replace the Rodeo completely, with an all new Holden Colorado starting in July.





So far little else is known about the car, we can confirm, however, that it will be built in Thailand (like the Rodeo) using a Chevrolet platform and is similar in size to the existing Rodeo.

Read more…


The new Colorado is expected to be available with both petrol and diesel powerplants as well as numerous body styles such as Single Cab, Crew Cab and Space Cab.

Holden will have a hard fight on its hands trying to establish a new model given the competition from the Mitsubishi Triton, Ford Ranger and Toyota HiLux.

Holden will continue to support current Rodeo owners in GM Holden’s 3 year/100,000km warranty and Roadside Assistance.
 
Well from what you posted it appears that it would probably be very similar.
 
It will probably be on the same platform as the Colorado since the 355 was supposed to be the global small truck. I personally think it looks like crap.
 
You seem to think anything that isn't a Mini looks like crap! :p Haha I kid, I kid.
 
Well...IS since they're still building it :p....It cannot replace the S10/Sonoma no matter how hard GM tries.
 
No the MINI is one of the goofier looking small cars on the market, I didn't buy it because it has a sexy design. And the S-Series vehicles were good for their time but really anything past the 98 model was really outdated, my Blazer was quite tired even when I got it new.
 
Haha well you can't have everything.
 
Its creeping closer and closer... The first models are supposed to get screwed together in the late fall. That "SS" sounded like it was N/A (although its hard to tell), so my guess is that it would have the LS3 and not much else. Makes sense, actually, given that the Pontiac GXP gets "only" the LS3 as well.

...That, and it puts a good amount of distance between the Camaro and the Corvette...
 
So, we'll start with some detail leaks:

Jalopnik
Very interesting news about the new 2010 Chevrolet Camaro coming out of the oft first-to-know Camaro5 forums. Seems a handful of their number were offered the chance to tour the Mesa Arizona hot weather testing grounds and managed to see a couple of Camaros up close and personal. When asking engineers some questions, interesting things can come up, such as the possibility of a supercharger option, an independent rear suspension unlike the GTO setup, an inferred weight between 3,300 lbs and 4,000 lbs. and what's this — flappy paddle shifters? Very interesting.

We're also hearing rumors elsewhere of Brembo brakes making it onto the high performance models. This Camaro thing seems to be getting less clear as time goes on, despite the no-camo ruling from the Lutzinator.

1) The Supercharged LS-A will only happen on an SS model, and I'd bet that it would have the power sitting right at 550 BHP just like the CTS-V. The thing is, it seems more "reasonable" to use the LS7, so I dunno.

2) IRS suspension? CHECK! Its on the rest of the Zeta cars, I can't see why this would be any different...

3) Weight? I'm still guessing somewhere around 3,600 to 3,800 lbs. We'll see.

4) Paddle-shifters? Two guesses: 6L80E automatic (via the Corvette) or maybe the first of the BMW-sourced transmissions (SMG via M5?).

5) Brembro brakes? See below...

From the Nurburgring today:

camaro.brembo.fr.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.ringarrival2.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.ringarrival3.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.ringarrival4.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.ringarrival5.kgp.ed.jpg
 
I wonder what's the deal with the amber turn signals....:confused:

Also, why have the huge fuel-tank sized mufflers? A) The Mustang is just fine with it's normal oval mufflers and B) couldn't they at least move the entire things behind the bumper?
 
The mufflers look cool. 3300lbs for a V6 model would be pretty cool I guess, lighter would be even cooler.
 
Back