Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (because you can't get any more modern)

• Thread starter Akira AC
  • 220 comments
Looking at the trailer.....

MURICA F YEAH!

Niiiice. Keep on your patriotism and jingoism like a punch in the face. Miss the Black Ops era where it based on real war, actually have a sympathy onto the character and the plot, great and believable rather than just fabricated combat, and proven to be the most successful CoD to date.

Also, why is this game isnt as talked much as the other games? Its even less than the previous CoD.

Looking at the trailer.....

MURICA F YEAH!

Niiiice. Keep on your patriotism and jingoism like a punch in the face. Miss the Black Ops era where it based on real war, actually have a sympathy onto the character and the plot, great and believable rather than just fabricated combat, and proven to be the most successful CoD to date.

Also, why is this game isnt as talked much as the other games? Its even less than the previous CoD.

The campaign reportedly is one of the best in the series and quite impressive. I've only done about 4 or so missions so I can't really give an opinion but of what I've played its an intresting story to say the least (Cutscenes and lipsyncing are very good).

On the multiplayer side of things I've decided to go back to the classic playlist to try and learn the maps abit before jumping into main exo PvP. The one game I had I was getting shot from everywhere and anywhere. It was my first match and had no clue on the map layout tho. My 10 or so games in Classic playlist since have been enjoyable. I'm not near as good as I was in BO2 (last cod I played and enjoyed) but I'm willing to suffer and learn the game the same as I did in BO2. As a BF player I'm not so used to the speed of everything but I got the hang of it in BO2 so I'm willing to learn on this as atleast I find it acceptably enjoyable unlike ghosts.

Coming form the slow games of BF to the quick movement and 5 min matches of pure chaos has a steep learning curve..I havent even thought about going with the Classic modes to get used to the maps...good idea
Oh man, I was an avid COD player from W@W to MW and Black Ops but have been vacant from the series since Ghosts was a dud. I finally just had a positive game LOL. Its all good though since I take my BF playing serious compared to COD, once I find that class that suits my playstyle, which is fast and non-stop, I think I will do ok.

Also, I have been running custom BOT matches to learn the maps.

I've heard that playing SND with Veteran bots helps you learn the maps, you find lines of sight that you don't normally find in respawn modes.

Is it me or does this game have 2 different style cutscenes? Meaning some of the scenes with Spacey are almost real and others, such as ones with Gideon are more game than life like?

And also I wish they would change the HUD map triangle for yourself to be different than others friendlies.

Due to Dell giving me some free credit, I ordered this game, otherwise I likely would not have. Been away from COD since the first Black Ops and did not play that much, mostly played MW1 and WaW

Starting to slow down on Destiny so hopefully this game is entertaining - am I ready for the fast twitch?

Due to Dell giving me some free credit, I ordered this game, otherwise I likely would not have. Been away from COD since the first Black Ops and did not play that much, mostly played MW1 and WaW

Starting to slow down on Destiny so hopefully this game is entertaining - am I ready for the fast twitch?
Thats the hardest part with cod and other fast paced Fps games for me is the insane speed in which you need to play....I eventually get comfortable but god forbid I play another game and I lose the touch.

WaW and black ops were my favorite in the franchise but this one is growing on me, the mp part of course. Campaign has been good, cool story and somewhat realistic, futuristically speaking.

Love the game so far, Level 46 already, got to Level 38 on Day Zero (Played all night) and played an hour or so every day after that. MP is new and incredibly fun, top 250 on Momentum right now as well, I loved that they brought War back 👍

I'm a little surprised at how little this game is being discussed here and on other message boards I frequent. I picked up a digital copy and will be putting in a long session this weekend. Hopefully I have the same amount of fun I had in MW3 and not the lack of fun I had with Ghosts.

Same - its one of the best COD titles in a very long time, with a more than reasonable single player and changes to the on-line that have made a seriously fun title.

Certainly deserves more love.

@Scaff Why don't I get people that bad in my games? They were sitting ducks! :eek:

Just a lucky match.

What is good fun it that people seem to forget you can boost jump at times, which is how I got the last guy. Spotted him on my mini-map and did a quick boost and spin and nailed him, the vertical element it adds to the game is just so well done.

Just a lucky match.

What is good fun it that people seem to forget you can boost jump at times, which is how I got the last guy. Spotted him on my mini-map and did a quick boost and spin and nailed him, the vertical element it adds to the game is just so well done.
I think that is my issue with the MP, it is difficult for me to boost and still keep my bearings, I usually lose the air to ground battles. I often forget about boosting, dodging and sliding.

Same - its one of the best COD titles in a very long time, with a more than reasonable single player and changes to the on-line that have made a seriously fun title.

Dont say that, you're making me consider changing my stance on this series, and actually making me want to give it a try :(

Just a lucky match.

My stragegy is to never use the jump unless necessary. I have almost as many Skeet Shooter kills when enemies are in the air then on the ground :lol: This is the best COD game since BO1 for sure, Ghosts looked like a PS3 game sadly; unimpressed.

Jerome

I'm a little surprised at how little this game is being discussed here and on other message boards I frequent. I picked up a digital copy and will be putting in a long session this weekend. Hopefully I have the same amount of fun I had in MW3 and not the lack of fun I had with Ghosts.

Well when you produce a game EVERY single year, year after year, with very few changes.....that tends to happen. People move on. Game releases with bugs, then gets dlc, then the next COD will be announced in April like it usually is. I have not purchased a COD since WAW and have never been persuaded to even consider another COD game. Might eventually rent it but it will depend on friend feedback. And in all honesty, I don't have hardly any friends playing the COD series anymore. Its been the same rinse and repeat process for many years.

This looks a LOT like Titanfall in a good way. When they bring back a 4 player co-op campaign like WAW then I might at least consider a rental. WAW was by far my favorite.

Last edited:
Well when you produce a game EVERY single year, year after year, with very few changes.....that tends to happen. People move on. Game releases with bugs, then gets dlc, then the next COD will be announced in April like it usually is. I have not purchased a COD since WAW and have never been persuaded to even consider another COD game. Might eventually rent it but it will depend on friend feedback. And in all honesty, I don't have hardly any friends playing the COD series anymore. Its been the same rinse and repeat process for many years.

This looks a LOT like Titanfall in a good way. When they bring back a 4 player co-op campaign like WAW then I might at least consider a rental. WAW was by far my favorite.
Two things I believe every game should offer. Coop campaign and other modes and player customization. They offer a decent player customization but fail on the coop, just a horde mode.

And this is just me but the campaigns I do enjoy, no matter how far fetched they are. I realize the MP is where these games offer their highlights but a thrilling, often predictable story is fine by me.

I'm still iffy on their connection situation, it seems it still uses p2p but devs stated dedicated would be used. So not sure if this is a coming soon scenario or if PC was the intended audience.

Two things I believe every game should offer. Coop campaign and other modes and player customization. They offer a decent player customization but fail on the coop, just a horde mode.

And this is just me but the campaigns I do enjoy, no matter how far fetched they are. I realize the MP is where these games offer their highlights but a thrilling, often predictable story is fine by me.

I'm still iffy on their connection situation, it seems it still uses p2p but devs stated dedicated would be used. So not sure if this is a coming soon scenario or if PC was the intended audience.
Yes I agree about the co-op campaign. As for the campers, that's one reason I do not enjoy COD among many other reasons. Also wish the COD series had some sort of TRUE matchmaking like COD 3 had. Or similar to Halo matchmaking.

As for the dedicated servers. Are you talking about PS3/PS4 or 360/X1?? All games on the X1 are supposed to be on dedicated servers. If COD is still P2P then that is absurd! No excuse for that all on the current gen systems. I would actually be very upset if I found out it was p2p on the X1. That would be a huge red flag for me not to buy the game for sure. You should simply not ever see "migrating host" or "Switching host" on the X1. Ever.

Yes I agree about the co-op campaign. As for the campers, that's one reason I do not enjoy COD among many other reasons. Also wish the COD series had some sort of TRUE matchmaking like COD 3 had. Or similar to Halo matchmaking.
This is not restricted to a single game, but rather any shooter possible. You are always going to have campers. With small map its not to big a deal, but with games like Halo and BF, they can be so far away with a sniper and just sit there for the whole match. Usually going after them is just a waste of time becuase of how far you would have to travel just to kill that one guy.

There is no way for true matchmaking. There could be a guy at level 1, that just restarted his account and have full knowledge of everything in the game, and he will be able to dominate. Then there could be someone who just bought the game that already knows the ins and outs of the series, and he will be able to jump in fairly quick compared to someone that is just getting it. A numbered level in any game means nothing.

As for the dedicated servers. Are you talking about PS3/PS4 or 360/X1?? All games on the X1 are supposed to be on dedicated servers. If COD is still P2P then that is absurd! No excuse for that all on the current gen systems. I would actually be very upset if I found out it was p2p on the X1. That would be a huge red flag for me not to buy the game for sure. You should simply not ever see "migrating host" or "Switching host" on the X1. Ever.
He's been playing it on the X1, and in fact, all games I've played so far felt P2P rather then having a dedicated, set, selectable server.

Yeah I'm on x1 , I get migrating host so that's why I was questioning and reading interviews from one of the devs vaguely answering the dedi server question.

They do have a Combat Readiness mode that from what I can tell randomly puts people with the same skill level together, never seeing who they are and premade classes, uneditable, and no xp. So it kind of does the matchmaking thing but no benefit but to practice, which I suppose makes sense to someone who doesn't want to affect stats.

There is no way for true matchmaking. There could be a guy at level 1, that just restarted his account and have full knowledge of everything in the game, and he will be able to dominate. Then there could be someone who just bought the game that already knows the ins and outs of the series, and he will be able to jump in fairly quick compared to someone that is just getting it. A numbered level in any game means nothing.
That is simply not true. A trueskill system if built properly like COD3, Halo 2, and Halo 3 does indeed work VERY well. If someone starts as a 1 and dominates game after game, their rank quickly jumps up to say rank 50 and they balance out around 50 and play with other level 50 players. Yes obviously they will dominate the lower ranks until their rank climbs where it should be.

If a person is average they start around 1 and work their way to around 25 then stay around that level depending on wins loss or k/d. The rank will fluctuate, sometimes going up to level 27, sometimes dropping to 23 for example. That's why it worked dang near perfectly with Halo 2 and Halo 3. Also worked very well with COD3.

So yes the system does indeed work IF the developer wants to put the extra effort into the system like in COD3, Halo 2, and Halo 3. But in order for the true skill system to work, the number must go up AND down. Those that played enough COD3, Halo 2, and Halo 3 know how well this system works.

He's been playing it on the X1, and in fact, all games I've played so far felt P2P rather then having a dedicated, set, selectable server.
If you don't see "migrating host", or "wating for host" or "switching host". Then its dedicated. BF3, BF4, Forza Horizon 2 and Destiny are dedicated for sure. Dedicated means it is running of of that developers server or the Microsoft server.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm on x1 , I get migrating host so that's why I was questioning and reading interviews from one of the devs vaguely answering the dedi server question.

They do have a Combat Readiness mode that from what I can tell randomly puts people with the same skill level together, never seeing who they are and premade classes, uneditable, and no xp. So it kind of does the matchmaking thing but no benefit but to practice, which I suppose makes sense to someone who doesn't want to affect stats.
Yup then that is not dedicated. Which is really messed up. COD AW should be dedicated servers. You should NOT see host migration.

That is simply not true. A trueskill system if built properly like COD3, Halo 2, and Halo 3 does indeed work VERY well. If someone starts as a 1 and dominates their rank quickly jumps up to say rank 50 and they balance out around 50 and play with other level 50 players. Yes obviously they will dominate the lower ranks until their rank climbs where it should be.

If a person is average they start around 1 and work their way to around 25 then stay around that level depending on wins loss. Sometimes going to level 27, sometimes dropping to 23. That's why it worked dang near perfectly with Halo 2 and Halo 3. Also worked very well with COD3.

So yes the system does indeed work IF the developer wants to put the extra effort into the system like in COD3, Halo 2, and Halo 3. But in order for the true skill system to work, the number must go up AND down. Those that played enough COD3, Halo 2, and Halo 3 know how well this system works.
All that doesnt matter anymore, or for a while now, considering boosters and what not. Stats can be padded like no other, and there can be people that are absolutely amazing at the game that fool around more then not, messing up there stats, but still be one of the best players in the game. Therefor, there is no "true" matchmaking system, as that system can be exploited.

Im not familiar with Matchmaking so bear with me. So in theory it should take a players performance in a game or row of games and if they are doing well, advance them to lobbies with other players performing with their abilities and if they start to do worse, then find them 'not-as-good' lobbies? How would this work when I group with a buddy who is really good and I am not?

Im not familiar with Matchmaking so bear with me. So in theory it should take a players performance in a game or row of games and if they are doing well, advance them to lobbies with other players performing with their abilities and if they start to do worse, then find them 'not-as-good' lobbies? How would this work when I group with a buddy who is really good and I am not?
It wouldnt, that's another instance I didnt think of.

Yes very similar to that.

Everyone starts at 1. You will get placed from players ranging from 1 to about 5.

If your team wins or if you do well, your rank goes to level 2 or 3. Then the next game you play it will put you with people around the rank level 2-3. If you keep doing well and keep improving and keep winning, then in theory you will climb to the highest rank. Example 50.

If you have some bad games or do a bit rough, or lose quite a bit. The game recognizes that your rank might need to go down a couple numbers. So if you were around 10 it would drop down to 9 or 8. Then as you win again it goes back up.

I will give myself as an example. I have been playing the Halo series since halo 2. My average in Halo 2, 3, Reach, and Halo 4 has been around level 25 in big team battle. Sometimes I would do well and go up to about 27 or 28. Sometimes I would do rough and end up around 21. However I always balanced out around 25. Which I loved!!

Each playlist has its own rank system. So if you only want to play team deathmatch with no vehicles, you can do that and your rank will be different in there than the other playlists.

Its a phenomenal system for vs multiplayer. It truly is. Only a few games have used it. Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4, Saints Row 1, COD3, and I believe Gears of War 2/3. It was innovated by Halo 2 back on the original xbox.

With that said I know with todays technology, 12 years later, these developers could do this. In fact I believe The Master Chief Collection is supposed to launch with all 4 games with visible trueskill ranking system just like Halo 2 had 12 years go. Basically starting another new generation of innovation. .... I can discuss this more via PM if necessary.

It wouldnt, that's another instance I didnt think of.
That's again....not true. The system creates an algorithm and sums up the difference of the players together. Then places them with another team using very similar numbers. As you said the other day, you have not played halo much. If you did, you would see how well the system works. Especially on Halo 2 and Halo 3.

If you have a team of 1, 5, 10, 25, 30, and 40 it will place you with a team of similar numbers.

Yup then that is not dedicated. Which is really messed up. COD AW should be dedicated servers. You should NOT see host migration.
I'm a level 44 I think now and haven't seen migrating host once on ps4. The lag is pretty bad though more often than it should be.

The first few hours I played I lived the game but it's starting to turn back into a frustrating experience just like other call of duty games. The latency just kills me and I had forgotten how bad cod is with it. I'm trying to keep enjoying the game but not sure how much longer I'll be able to. I might end up back on destiny shooting people. Hopefully assassins creeds coop is as fun as I think it'll be.

Back