Tuner Wars by Harvey Wallbanger (First 2 battles joined 12/6/11)

XDesperado67
The psychedelic cannibal makes it 2 & 0!:D

Can it pull a clean sweep making a quick snack out of all its foes?:sly:

Hmm maybe if I knocked the cost of the swill Pabst off commandorando's bill it might give him some incentive...I did order it for the parrot heads anyways...:crazy::lol:

First you're kicking my a**, now you're giving away my PBR? :mad:

“The French Disconnection”
Part VI​
With three cars to transport, the trip back to Monte Carlo was excruciatingly pricey. Not helping the matter was the fact the all three tuners had turned around and walked away laughing when I asked if they would be coming along, or least paying for their cars to make the voyage. Adding to the mind numbingly high price of the trip was an “insurance policy” for putting Gaspar out of commission, which I had acquired from the recently paroled test driver of McClarenDesign's car review program(who says ballast weight has to be lead?). To anyone that may be appalled by my dirty tactics, I maintain that what little integrity I do have is solely of the journalistic variety.

I had greased the palms of both the dock workers and track officials to keep my arrival under wraps, and it seemed to have worked because the pits were empty when I got there. With all three cars and my “insurance policy” safely tucked away it was time for some quick testing before Gaspar got wind of my presence.

Just as before I started with "rouillé". Strangely, this car was not behaving just as before. Here it was very easy to just toss into corners, exhibiting slight, to somewhat concerning tail-happiness depending on just how hard I was mashing the gas. Trying to corner without any throttle at all revealed under-steer just as before, but quite a bit more of it. Tire wear was also an issue, but even more so than before. Seeing as power slides were the order of the day in this car, the rear tires were fading quick. Not helping things was the tendency of the front brakes to lock under hard use, but the gearing was very good, resulting in a 1:53.584 hot lap.

With "Black Hearse", throttle control was necessary for survival. Just like at Trial Mountain, stepping on the gas while going any direction but straight was essentially gambling with your own life. The thing I found most confusing about this was that first and second gear both would bog if your exit speed wasn’t perfect. Combined with the under-steer when the throttle was off, and general lack luster acceleration, made this car frustrating to say the least. On the plus side, the tire wear and brakes were both better than the first car’s, but, overall it still felt like a lot was left on the table. The 1:53.445 hot lap confused me as well. How was it that a car which felt much less sorted than the first contender was also faster!?

[FONT=&quot]Too befuddled to even notice the paint, I managed to get into [/FONT]"Purple People Eater"[FONT=&quot] without incident. One lap cleared my mind and I was once again amazed with this car. It was just as composed here as it was at Eiger Nordwand. Under-steer was only slight, while power over-steer was on demand to correct it without being ever present. Where Krenkme’s car gets a 9.5 out of 10(as usual) in the power/transmission department, this car gets a 9 out of 10, then it also makes up for this slight shortfall with the best tire wear and braking characteristics of the bunch. Perhaps I’m just a god awful driver, but in my hands this car felt like a perfectly balanced, razor sharp chef’s knife while the other two are more like meat cleavers. The 1:53.035 hot lap made my choice easy for the battle ahead that I was still planning.[/FONT]

Last edited:
comandorando87
Conclusion coming later tonight, as I have some dishes and serious consideration on buying a new computer chair to do:sly:

Well I wonder where I'm going to come in :dopey:. Great writing as always, and I think we all need to chip in and help you get that chair 👍

Great job :cheers:

Did he just say my "Purple People Eater" had the best brakes of the bunch?:embarrassed:

He doesn't need us to get him a new chair he needs us to help pay the guys with soft couches in their offices who keep asking about your mum and what does this coffee stain look like and...:crazy::lol::crazy:

Oh and

Psychedelic Cannibal
devours competition as
"Purple People Eater"
storms tracks on both sides of the Atlantic!

Last edited:
XDesperado67
Did he just say my "Purple People Eater" had the best brakes of the bunch?:embarrassed:

He doesn't need us to get him a new chair he needs us to help pay the guys with soft couches in their offices who keep asking about your mum and what does this coffee stain look like and...:crazy::lol::crazy:

Oh and Psychedelic Cannibal devours competition as "Purple People Eater" storms tracks on both sides of the Atlantic!

He also said my gearing was good :D

Commandorando, to drive that car is to ignore all warnings till you stuff it. Keep on-throttle, even if it's only a bit, or handling of any sort goes out the window. And why bog? Because no power.

What I find strange is that you managed to enjoy yourself to an extent with it on Eiger and absolutely hate it everywhere else. :lol:

Commandorando, to drive that car is to ignore all warnings till you stuff it. Keep on-throttle, even if it's only a bit, or handling of any sort goes out the window. And why bog? Because no power.

What I find strange is that you managed to enjoy yourself to an extent with it on Eiger and absolutely hate it everywhere else. :lol:

As I've stated before, throttle finesse isn't part of my "skills". I have no idea why it worked so well on Eiger, like I said in the piece it just felt purpose built for that track. As for the bogging, all I'm saying is it didn't happen on Krenkme's or Harvey's cars:sly:. Now if your car's performance is any indicator, I think you have some homework to finish:idea:

As I've stated before, throttle finesse isn't part of my "skills". I have no idea why it worked so well on Eiger, like I said in the piece it just felt purpose built for that track. As for the bogging, all I'm saying is it didn't happen on Krenkme's or Harvey's cars:sly:. Now if your car's performance is any indicator, I think you have some homework to finish:idea:

Just give it a go, you'll never get better if you just sit around. :P Odd, I built it on Trial Mountain and it performed the worst there. :lol: Eh, it was tuned in races, where there's no standing starts anymore. Odd though, the gearbox is where I placed a lot of attention to in my cars as a drag racer. Eh, I'll look into that. Homework? What? Improving that thing? Nah, it can go screw itself and continue killing people. :lol:

“The French Disconnection”
Part VII​
Testing completed, I pulled into my bay in the pits and set to work. I had decided that I would be giving "Black Hearse" to Gaspar seeing as it seemed the most likely of the three to dispatch him, so I gutted the trunk and began stashing the powdery white “ballast”. If the car didn’t take him out, the local authorities would at least be very interested in him and the car. "rouillé" was hidden under a car cover, Krenkme had built the car for me specifically and even as a child I never liked sharing my toys. This left me driving the horridly adorned "Purple People Eater", not even a Frenchmen could call it fashionable, but at least it was quick.

Gaspar arrived just as I was finishing my phone call too the local nacro squad. Now, I could only hope that they arrived after the grudge race started, not revealing my treachery until Gaspar could do nothing about it.
“Vuwat ees wrong vith zees car?” He demanded, gesturing too “rouille”.
“Busted gearbox.” I replied tentatively. Gaspar turned his nose up dismissively at the supposedly crippled car then turned his attention to “Black Hearse”.
“Vell, at least zees car has suum taste in eet’s appearance, unlike zat…abomination. Boot, vy ees zair no 110 ear?” He was still fighting to hold down his lunch after gazing upon “Purple People Eater” when he issued the last demand.
“Cuz I don’t own one. There both Alpines and that’s the best your getting from me today Kermit. Now, here is the deal. Grudge race, double or nothing of the original wager.” I declared forcefully, hoping his pride would force him to take the bait.
“Fine. Give me zee key too zat vone.” He said disdainfully, pointing to “Black Hearse”. Tossing him the keys, it took all two ounces of my self restraint to keep from grinning like an idiot. Every angler enjoys the feeling of setting the hook on unsuspecting prey.

We were lined up on the starting line, revving the engines in eager anticipation. I’m not sure if Gaspar was trying to stare me down or not. I couldn’t wrench my attention from the lumbering gorilla, Onri, who was standing behind the safety barrier on pit road, pointing at me menacingly as he flicked the lever on the mini-guillotine meant for my “gentlemen sausage”. With an involuntary shudder I returned my attention to the impending race.

The first light on the starting tree flashed on, then I heard three short, wooden, taps on the driver side window. Standing next too the car was an unhappy looking local policeman. “🤬” I thought to myself, they were early. With trepidation I shut off the car and stepped outside to face the music.
“Zanc you fuor your cooperation, you may leave now.” The officer said politely, then turned and join his badged brethren in giving Gaspar and Onri the full Rodney King treatment.

[FONT=&quot]Two more officers opened the trunk, looking for the contraband they had been tipped off about, and where immediately enveloped in a cloud of said contraband. Perhaps the small explosive charge I had buried in the “ballast” was a touch over the top, but at least there was no denying they had found the secret cargo. Not wanting to answer any questions the now wide eyed and fidgety officers might have, I made way over to the bewildered track officials and made arrangements for “rouille” to be delivered to the docks. Climbing back into the now dusty white “Purple People Eater”, I turned over the engine then made off for the docks myself, feeling entirely satisfied with myself.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Fitting ending. Onboys car helps catch the baddies, my tune (your car) is kept out of harms way and sent back to your garage, and you drive Harvey's to the dock so you don't have to look at it :lol::lol:

Great read as always, everyday I look forward to reading your writing. Job well done 👍:bowdown:

Well, it's time to finish a 3-part trip through France's worst sport car!

Video killed the Alpine radio star: final part

Onboy's Alpine

Ok, so after two cars, it's time to do the last of the Alpi trio, Onboy's Black Hearse. While driving, you can see a bit of everything from the other two rides. How?

Specs wise, it's the same idea. 250 Bhp, and improved handling and tranny. Looks wise, it's pretty similar to Kremkme's Alpine, except for the white Enkei wheels, which are standard issue for Onboy's tunes. So, it is a black rally looking car with white wheels. Not much to say here, really.

The handling is the only thing that shows you're in a different car. Now, after basking in the craziness of Harvey's car and being shocked by the grip of the Parrots Alpine, Onboy's car sits somewhere in the middle. Let's put it this way: Harvey's car loves idiots, because it's a free spirit. Kremkme's car tolerates idiots because it only loses its composure in extreme cases. Onboy's car, well, doesn't love idiots. And it does not tolerate then, neither. You can find grip in this, unlike Harvey's, but the line that separates grip from slide is very thin. Razor thin. If you control the right pedal well, the car can go really well. If not, well, you'll be sliding every corner. In the Short ver. GVS, the car could do the first corner gripping, if I controled the accel pedal well. But if I tried to act like a speed junkie, I would only see smoke and the tail would go loony.

Yeah, it may not have a zillion hp like a RUF, but it does have enough hp to make sure that the tail has green card to do everything it wishes. And that may not include the driver, mind you. So Onboy's car is not as effective as Kremkme's, but it is a better handler than Harvey's. Malcom in the Middle, in short.

So there you have it. After meeting 3 amazing cars, I can rest at ease. The Alpine A310 can be a good car, with the right people behind it. If I had to do a top 3, based on overall skills, Kremkme's car would win, hands down. A amazing grip car, that changed my view on RR cars, and proved that they can handle. Onboy's car sits on 2nd place, because it can find grip, but it can be crazy too. Harvey's car would be last, then.

But if I rank these cars by fun, Harvey's car would jump for the gold medal. It is super fun, always willing to laugh along you, while going sideways all the time.

So, excuse me, while I turn the Trial Mountain into Smokey Mountain...

"Engine start"

The End!

Eh, when it comes to RRs, not many can match Harvey's insanity, as this proves. I can only be glad that you're the tester who knows my style of driving and therefore can drive it somewhat like it was intended.

Eh, when it comes to RRs, not many can match Harvey's insanity, as this proves. I can only be glad that you're the tester who knows my style of driving and therefore can drive it somewhat like it was intended.

Leave it to Harvey to make a RR car even more crazy... And I'm glad that I was able to notice where your car differs from the others.👍

Leave it to Harvey to make a RR car even more crazy... And I'm glad that I was able to notice where your car differs from the others.👍

Trust me, the day will come when he tunes a BTR or a Yellowbird…and that will be the last day of GT5 tuning in his career…hopefully not though.

It's more how you could actually drive the damn thing without murdering yourself and still drive it correctly, as it was intended, unlike Comandorando…who didn't. :lol:

Trust me, the day will come when he tunes a BTR or a Yellowbird…and that will be the last day of GT5 tuning in his career…hopefully not though.

It's more how you could actually drive the damn thing without murdering yourself and still drive it correctly, as it was intended, unlike Comandorando…who didn't. :lol:

When that happens, I'll run away before he asks me to test it...:nervous:

Well, I did have a few screw ups, but I was able to see where to find grip. I learned that the car's read end responds badly to X button smashers.:dopey:

When that happens, I'll run away before he asks me to test it...:nervous:

Well, I did have a few screw ups, but I was able to see where to find grip. I learned that the car's read end responds badly to X button smashers.:dopey:

Don't you dare, I'll tie you up if I have to, because if you leave, the job of testing will go back to me! :lol:

It's a RR and I'm rather conservative with these things after crashing a Black BTR on the Lemans straight going 200+mph. Not nice.

Now…you still owe me something on the other end of the spectrum, something with 400hp? ;)

Thanks for the review Niku!👍👍

Glad you enjoyed it...now to find where I stored those Ruf's...:crazy::lol:

Oh and did we have a rather inconclusive end to the TT battle or what? I posted my tune, put it on share and haven't heard any feedback from anyone since...:drool:

Great job Niku. Glad you liked my nice calm Alpine. (how much do I owe you again?)
Now I can have some sort of bragging rights with the Outlaws. 👍

Have a Great Day everybody :dopey:

Glad you enjoyed it...now to find where I stored those Ruf's...:crazy::lol:

Oh and did we have a rather inconclusive end to the TT battle or what? I posted my tune, put it on share and haven't heard any feedback from anyone since...:drool:

I stashed them away in the swiss alps so you don't kill us all. :lol:

Eh, we never got enough testers to finish it. And I forgot to give feedback on your TT yet, so give me a bit to find the memory of that car…

Great job Niku. Glad you liked my nice boring Alpine. (how much do I owe you again?)
Now I can have some sort of bragging rights with the Outlaws. 👍

Have a Great Day everybody :dopey:
Edited...
And the truth shall set you free!:crazy:

Just kidding krenkme, good job next round at the Cafés on me.👍👍:D

Actually…remember the bet you had with him that made him tune a Mach 1? Well, since he won, how about you tune whatever it was that was promised in the bet? Nice and productive for all of us. :D

Edited...
And the truth shall set you free!:crazy:

I think I need to make a crazy, insain, ax murdering tune, just to prove I can :dopey:

I'll be stoping by soon :D

Actually…remember the bet you had with him that made him tune a Mach 1? Well, since he won, how about you tune whatever it was that was promised in the bet? Nice and productive for all of us. :D

To tell you the truth, I forgot his end of the bet :dunce:

I think I need to make a crazy, insain, ax murdering tune, just to prove I can :dopey:
I'll be stoping by soon :D
To tell you the truth, I forgot his end of the bet :dunce:
Actually I think it was a tune of the others choice and not a specific car...I was slow letting krenkme know what I wanted so he gave me the beautiful Mach 1 "Duck" a car I owe him a review of soon along with that nice XR7 he sent me.:D

Actually I think it was a tune of the others choice and not a specific car...I was slow letting krenkme know what I wanted so he gave me the beautiful Mach 1 "Duck" a car I owe him a review of soon along with that nice XR7 he sent me.:D

So your B-Day present is a good drive?

A bet is a bet, and I'm glad I could pay up :dopey:

Well, I would like to thank the Parrots and the Outlaws for giving me the chance to do this comparison in this thread. I'm owing you all a pint of Capri-Sonne in the bar. And thanks to the garage owners for the kind feedback. 👍👍

Cheers!:cheers:

Hmm looks like I have to provide my own shot of GeldWasser and a Dunkel Weitsen (sorry can't spell this morning):drool::crazy::lol:

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK YOU PETULANT TWEEN!!! (jk:sly:)

Announcement!
Harvey Wallbanger in commemoration of the 2,000 post will present a special award.
The "Holy Handgrenade"!
This trophy will be awarded to any garage that defeats the Outlaws in any tuning challenge battle. The car will be given to the founder of said garage with the understanding that it will be passed on to the next garage to defeat them in a challenge. Such challenges can take place either in F.I.T.T. sanctioned events or in Tuner Wars Battles.

Clueless Tunes headed by krenkme and his fellow parrotheads has presented the first such challenge as part of ryangt's ~Japanese Auto Celebration Shootout~ a sanctioned F.I.T.T. event. Can they be the first garage to hold the "Holy Handgrenade" or will the Outlaws retain possession of this golden wonder!

Back