Submit questions for BL's interview now!

• Thread starter Suzuki
  • 32 comments
United States
Memphis, Tn
LayNLow
Swift's interview answers will be up soon, in the meantime who should be next for the interview? cast your votes now!

soo
2 votes for BL
2 votes for Sheron
1 vote for ~Drift King~

i also vote for Sheron, just because his name starts with an S. :sly: :crazy:

BL! He's in exams right now. But if we hurry it up, I think we can get it in before he leaves campus. :)

Ok, BL it is, let me ask him if he will mind doing the interview, then we can get the questions going if he says yes.

I didnt really know if i was supposed to post or PM this but here goes :

Question to BL

Have you seen The Fast and The Furious Tokyo Drift ?

If yes , what do you think ab00t it?

I have a bunch... I'll try and edit this post as I come up with more...

What got you into drifting?
What kept you going when you got discouraged?
What was the best help when learning?
What would be the best thing you could tell a person learning other than Practice?
Have you ever got into the D1 Series?
Have you ever got into Initial D?

When you were invited to join IDM, how did it make you feel?

Where did "Tankspanker" come from?

How has being an engineer aided your learning and understanding of drifting?

What type of games catch your interest now?

When are you going to marry your girl? :D

what is your favorite car to drift, or favorite track?

fastest/ longest drift?

most original vehicle you have ever drifted?

Guess I'll get going on these, since it looks like I'll be busy moving out of my dorm for the next 2 days or so.

In reverse order! Just to mess with your heads, ...and also because the multi-quote feature arranged them that way:

what is your favorite car to drift, or favorite track?

I was always a little partial to a white RPS13, or Skyline GTS-t

fastest/ longest drift?

...I dunno, let's say THIS ONE for the fastest, just because it could quickly find it.

Longest drift might be something like turn 1 to turn 10 (left hairpin) on SSR5...with some manji-ing of course. I also want to say something about turn 1,2,3 at George Paris just because the second turn feels like it drags on forever when you drift that one (I can be seen doing that in IDM Video Magazine 2)

most original vehicle you have ever drifted?
My cousin's 1971 Datsun pick-up, converted to bush vehicle. Also happens to be the first manual vehicle I ever drove.

...or are we supposed to be talking GT4?

When you were invited to join IDM, how did it make you feel?
heh, you know darn well, because you were involved in it. Anyways, I was suprised and ecstatic, and I harassed you and CMD for days to get my forum account upgraded so I could access the member's only area.

Where did "Tankspanker" come from?
I used to work in retail at a large department store. A co-worker in the warehouse bet me $20 that I couldn't ride a water heater tank down a flight of stairs. I decided I should prove him wrong and promptly set about doing so.
So I piled some boxes at the landing so I wouldn't break my face when the tank invariably halted as it struck the concrete floor at the bottom and threw me off. Then I mounted the sucker. :sly:
I'm happy to say that I survived and was $20 richer on that day. The name Tankspanker stuck for a bit, and I adopted it as my screen name for awhile here (it's still my AIM s/n, btw).

How has being an engineer aided your learning and understanding of drifting?
Engineering student. I've still got 3 elective courses to finish ;)

In GT4, very little. The physics are pretty absurd. I've tried to use a little bit of math and physics to justify some of my setups for my own peace of mind but in the end everything comes down to feel in the game.

What type of games catch your interest now?
Still into racing games. I've played GTR2 a little on my PC and have a lot of fun with it. I actually can apply some knowledge of vibrations, spring harmonics, and damping rates to setups in that game and get sensible results from the MoTeC diagnostic tool

Recently I've spent far more time playing Oblivion and Call of Duty 2, and just got NWN2 the other day.

I play a lot of board games with friends as well: Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride (Europe), Carcassonne, Scotland Yard, and Duel of Ages, and good ol Risk and Monopoly are favourites of the group (I really feel like still I'm forgetting one more...)

Also, I've recently (well.... guess it's now been a few months) started a Dungeons & Dragons campaign with some other prominent members of GTP (I'll not identify them incase they want their geekyness to remain secret). We're doing it pen and paper style and communicating over Skype for several hours every couple weeks. It's a real good time - I look forward to each session.

When are you going to marry your girl? :D

....next question

Seriously, we've only been going out 6 years. We hardly know each other :sly:

...When the time is right.

What got you into drifting?

Boredom. Honestly.

I got tired of driving straight in GT2, so I decided not to anymore. At the time I wasn't really aware of what drifting was or that other people were doing it and it was gradually becoming a popular sport.

What kept you going when you got discouraged?
When I started, I didn't really get too discouraged because it wasn't something I was forcibly trying to do.

Later, in GT3 when I joined these forums and saw other peoples' videos (GT3 stuff from Sheron, DR, CMD, Ryen, pergatory, thio, et al [sorry there's way too many of you to list]), it was watching them and trying to imitate their lines and angles that kept me going. They'd demonstrated what was possible in that game, so I figured theres no reason I shouldn't be able to accomplish the same.

In GT4... dunno... it certainly frustrated me and there suddenly weren't nearly as many people to look up to at the start. I guess being a part of the IDM team spurred me to keep practicing for awhile, and the occasional competition would make me put in a solid effort.

What was the best help when learning? What would be the best thing you could tell a person learning other than Practice?

I'm going to answer these ones together because it only makes sense that way with my history.

I started this a long time ago and learned on my own. As with anything, I think the key is to make sure you're always having fun and not setting huge unrealistic goals for yourself. Being ambitious is good, but you have to set your sights on something reasonable and attainable. For instance, if you set out immediately to drift the sweeper at AH with some massive angle, you're only lining yourself up for disappointments. Instead, do something like say you're going to do it witha controlled 4 wheel slide, only very faint oversteer. When you've got that, gradually build up the difficulty from there.

Have you ever got into the D1 Series?

I used to watch the occasional Option video, yes.

Have you ever got into Initial D?

:sly: Of course. I'm a big anime buff.

Unlike most of you though, I was drifting in GT before I'd heard of or watched any ID.

Have you seen The Fast and The Furious Tokyo Drift ?

If yes , what do you think ab00t it?

For a long time I chose not to see it because I thought I'd just be disappointed with it. I figured it was just cashing in on all the hype about this new drifting fad just like the first moving did with the sudden explosion of import tuning.

Then one of my more ignorant friends rented it and I watched it with a bunch of buddies.

I've chosen not to watch it again since.

It's only redeeming point (a small one at that) was Tsuchiya on the docks. I thought that was a bit amusing and it was interesting to look around the room at that point to see if anyone else knew who he was. (No one did)

--------------------------------------------------------

So...really? Swift's the only one with any personal questions? The rest of you only want to talk about drifting?

That's not an interview... I could dig up those questions and answer them in existing threads if I wanted to (in fact I probably have already done so in the past).
C'mon, get Creative! Come up with something weird or abstract, or something you want to know about ME.

Question time already, and you have already answered them. Can I still ask some?
Here they are anyways.

How did you come up with your name BL?

If you could own any five cars, what would they be and why?

What are some of your favourite games other than the GT series?

If Polyphony Digital could add or change anything on the GT series to make drifting better, what would it be?

What are your interests/hobbies besides drifting and GTP?

What kind of music do you like?

Whats you favourite band?

What TV shows do you like to watch?

What are some of you favourite movies?

What do you get up to now on GTP since your not round the Drifting section much?

Do you think you would give Drifting a try when GT5 comes out? See how it compares to the earlier games.

What got you interested in drifting and cars in general and how long have you been interested in these two topics?

Hope those are alright, a mix of drift and personal questions. Most of them I asked Swift but they work good here too. 👍

I gotta say that I am glad you were here when I started drifting, you were a great person to look up to and you helped me out a lot. Thanks BL. :)

*if you could choose anywhere but Canada or America to live in, where would it be and why?
*how do you feel about the VATECH tragedy? (if you even know what the VATECH tragedy is... but i am sure you do)
*does it affect your out look on Koreans, or Asians as a whole?
*do you think the college could have handled the situation better?
*what is your outlook on global warming, and do you think it is really a cause for concern?
*whats your favorite hockey team?
*who do you think will win the stanley cup this year?
possibly more to come later.

Why Before the Kenshin Avatar?
Why GTplanet.net?
Why me?
why am I asking these questions?
As a possible Engineering student, do you have a recommendations?
Are you aware of Youtube's evil kin?
180sx or Civic?
In your opinion, what does RB stand for in RB26dett? then what does RS stand for as in the Eclipse Rs?
Do you wish to become a Drifting Mod like Swift and DR?

Can I still ask some?

yup

How did you come up with your name BL?

Boundary layer is a term/theory from fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and mass transfer (though, I'm not familiar with it's role within mass transfer - haven't studied it). It interests me a good deal.

If you could own any five cars, what would they be and why?

This is a tougher question that you probably meant it to be. I'm at a point where I'll be buying a 'real car' fairly soon, not just some used grocery getter to get me through university.

Anyways, a few of the (realistic) cars I'm interested in, in no particular order:
  • Mazda 6 (or Mazdaspeed 6 ;) )
  • Nissan Altima 3.5 SE (or '05 SE-R, but haven't seen one in Canada)
  • '05 Subaru WRX STi
  • BMW E46... preferably M3, but would settle for 330i
  • Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe (would probably have to be used to be affordable)
Each of those cars always catches my eye when I see one on the street, and none of them is a real slouch. I don't street race or autox, but I like a vehicle with a little bit of jam to it, and it has to be practical - able to move people/objects/etc.

My next car will most likely by a Mazda 6... it'd be on the cheaper side of that list. I'll probably pick one up in March/April of 2008. My girlfriend's sister dates one of the top Mazda salesmen in Western Canada, so I'd probably get a good deal through him.
What are some of your favourite games other than the GT series?

ES: Oblivion, NWN 1&2, Katamari Damaci :sly:, GTR2, FF7&8
If Polyphony Digital could add or change anything on the GT series to make drifting better, what would it be?

All they need to do is work on the physics engine. Other more superficial stuff like improved smoke effects, etc, can wait.
What are your interests/hobbies besides drifting and GTP?

Go-karting - love karting. I'm currently sidelined from it though. Two months ago some idiot apparently lost his brake pedal and T-boned me at 50km/h while I was turning into a tight hairpin. I'm just glad these karts were equipped with a heavy crash structure on the sides or it would've been a lot worse. Still, it knocked me around pretty good and I think I may have fractured 2 ribs on my left side in the collision, if not then I bruised the hell outta them. I could barely move for awhile and I'm still a little purple on my side and get a pain if I bend/move the wrong way.

Hockey - don't play in any serious leagues anymore, but still get involved in the occasional pick up game or intramural league.

F1 - been watching since 95. Never miss a race.

Guitar - well, this is a newer one. I've wanted to learn how to play guitar for ages, but only recently started pursuing it. I borrowed a friends acoustic a little over a month ago (a vintage handmade Framus), and have been trying to learn the odd tune on that. So far, I can play Breezy from the FF8 soundtrack, and most of Green Day's Good Riddance (Time of your life).
What kind of music do you like?

I'm not too choosy, but I stay away from rap and R&B type stuff.

I like a lot of old rock and metal stuff - Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, GnR, etc

I used to listen to a lot of punk revival like Green Day (from Kerplunk and Dookie), Social Distortion, the Offspring, and Bad Religion. I'll still toss on those discs now and then.

Right Now I'm more into the post-grunge, post-hardcore rock and punk rock music... so stuff like My Chemical Romance, AFI, Billy Talent, Halifax, Rise Against, and some lesser known groups, etc....

Whats you favourite band?
Hard to say. The last week or so I've been playing a lot of Wolfmother, Tinfoil Phoenix, My Chemical Romance, Thursday, Against Me!, the Trews, The Tragically Hip, Foo Fighters, Buckcherry.

...I couldn't really pick a favourite. Depends on my mood, the time of day, where the moon is in the sky....
Pretty excited to be going to the My Chemical Romance concert in a few weeks though.
What TV shows do you like to watch?

Scrubs and The Office are the only two primetime shows I watch regularly.
OH! and Hockey Night in Canada has to be mentioned here as well.
What are some of you favourite movies?

Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail, the Boondock Saints, Office Space, Rain Man, 300, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Star Wars Trilogy (ie. A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Grosse Point Blank, Groundhog Day, Le Mans, Ocean's 11 & 12, Pirates of the Carribean 1 & 2, Snatch, Billy Madison, Top Gun....
What do you get up to now on GTP since your not round the Drifting section much?

Not much. I've been answering the occasional physics question in the Ask GTP subforum. I argued with Famine about time travel for a little while... we called it a draw. Posting has been kept to a minimum though. Lately GTP has just been a medium to communicate by PM with the guys I'm playing D&D with if they aren't on AIM or Skype, to arrange times to play.
Do you think you would give Drifting a try when GT5 comes out? See how it compares to the earlier games.

I have no intention to buy a PS3 - it'll be a Wii for me. I've demo'd both systems and just had way more fun with the Nintendo, and my gf is putting a little pressure on me to get one. She's normally not big into video games, but she loves the Wii.

Anyways, to answer the question:
I'd definitely give it a try, if given the opportunity - but I'm not gonna go too far out of my way to get my hands on the game when it's released. If a friend has it, then sure.
What got you interested in drifting and cars in general and how long have you been interested in these two topics?

I've just always liked mechanical stuff. I guess I started getting more interested in cars around the age of 11 or 12 when I started watching F1, and became more interested at 15 when I got my beginner's license and bought my neighbour's 89 Plymouth Acclaim. It was a fixxer-upper, but a good learning experience. Stranded me more times than I have fingers to count with.

I just sorta fell into drifting like I mentioned in my previous post.

I gotta say that I am glad you were here when I started drifting, you were a great person to look up to and you helped me out a lot. Thanks BL. :)

👍

*if you could choose anywhere but Canada or America to live in, where would it be and why?

I've never been anywhere outside of Canada and the US, so I've really got no idea. Perhaps the UK so I wouldnt have to learn a new language for day to day stuff, and so I can be closer to the F1 scene. Then, short trips to Germany, Italy, Greece, Spain, etc, would be less of a burden. I've always been fascinated with European history.

oh, and I could got to UKGTP.

...I'd miss the hockey though.

*how do you feel about the VATECH tragedy? (if you even know what the VATECH tragedy is... but i am sure you do)

Umm, not great. I know two guys studying engineering there. They were okay, but pretty shaken up by the whole thing.

*does it affect your out look on Koreans, or Asians as a whole?

No, not at all. Should it?

*do you think the college could have handled the situation better?

I think the US as a whole could have handled it better. The college had banned guns on campus long before the incident and I think that was the right course of action for them to take. A college is no place to be carrying firearms, even for self defense. The problem is the whole US gun culture and the percieved god given right to arm themselves for all out war just to go out and get groceries.

...okay, small exaggeration there. It's not an easy situation to handle. You could make guns more difficult to obtain, but there's so many out there already that anyone who really wants one will find a way to get one. The US started digging themselves into this hole of gun violence and school shootings in 1789 (...or whenever, my US history isn't great). The Second Ammendment may have been necessary then, but I believe it lost its social relevance decades and decades ago and today causes more problems than it solves.

*what is your outlook on global warming, and do you think it is really a cause for concern?

Absolutely. Even if all the predictions of widespread drought in some places and flooding of biblical proportions in others is a little off, why take the chance?

The difficulty as I see it though, is that this problem is being realized and acted on way too late. Governments are finally making commitments to cut emissions and so on, and that's all well and good (as long as they come through on their promises), but I think the damage may already be done. It takes aerosol pollutants and greenhouse gases something like 20 or 25 years to make their way into the upper atmosphere, and as we all know ;), CFC aerosols are dissasociated in the stratosphere into chlorine and chemical soup by ultraviolet light. The chlorine reacts with stratospheric ozone and depletes the ozone layer at a rapid rate. So consider the amount of ozone depletion we've realized so far, and think about the amount of ozone damage and greenhouse heating we'll still see as the harmful emissions from more recent past gradually make their way up there.

On the other hand, aerosols also promote the formation of denser air and clouds as they ascend, which causes cooling... so they're a bit of a double edged sword. Some prof I had for a course in Ecology, Technology and Society read us some report on this subject saying that without greenhouse gases being present in the atmosphere to offset the presence of aerosols in the lower levels of the atmosphere, the mean global temperature might be something like 15°C cooler.

Tough problem with lots of variables and socio-economic and political factors to consider.... but, cause for concern? I say yes.

*whats your favorite hockey team?

Toronto Maple Leafs

*who do you think will win the stanley cup this year?

I've missed the last a few games this week moving and unpacking and so forth, so I haven't really seen how the teams are playing (sports highlights don't cut it). I did see Ottawa lose last night in the 2nd OT :ouch:.

Obviously, I'm hoping for an all Canadian Ottawa vs Vancouver final round, but I don't think that's too likely.

The western conference is anyone's guess. Vancouver could go a long way if Luongo keeps standing on his head like he has been. But I think I'll put my money on the Ducks to make it into the final round...
In the East I think it's a clear race between Ottawa and Buffalo. Buffalo will likely eek out that series, but I'm hoping for an upset.

If Buffalo makes the finals, I think they've got the speed, firepower, and netminding to take out anything the western conference can dish them.

I guess I'll pick the Sabres.

Why Before the Kenshin Avatar?

I'm a big Kenshin fan.

Why GTplanet.net?

Um.... google probably got me here.....

Because you're awesome.... like an awesome hot dog.

why am I asking these questions?

Clearly you have nothing better to do.

As a possible Engineering student, do you have a recommendations?

This is true for all levels of education, but: It's not about how smart you are, it's about how much you apply yourself.

I flew through highschool with straight A's and minimal studying, and then awoke to a harsh reality in my first term of university. I would have flunked Calc 1 if i hadn't dropped it, and got a lot of C's and C+'s in the rest of my courses. It's all because highschool gave me poor study habits. I've kicked my ass it into a higher gear now though.

Learn how to learn on your own, and do not assume that you can learn it all the night before the big test. ...work ahead and take all the outside help from prof's and TA's that you can get.

Are you aware of Youtube's evil kin?

I guess not ... :odd:

180sx or Civic?

180sx

In your opinion, what does RB stand for in RB26dett? then what does RS stand for as in the Eclipse Rs?

RB = racing bred, or so it is rumoured
RS = Really Shoulda got the GSX/GTS

Do you wish to become a Drifting Mod like Swift and DR?

Nope. I had the opportunity when GT4 came out, and turned it down.

Will a heavier car, or a light car be more likely to slide off of an icy road?

Depends on the idiot driving it more than the car itself.

In a very general sense... a heavier vehicle has more grip. This is why you put bails or snow in the back of pick-ups in the winter. But, once a heavy vehicle loses traction, they're a little slower to regain it because of the greater momentum they naturally posess.

This idiot has put both types in the ditch, so clearly the vehicle does not matter.​

Advice for nOOb drifters?
car that is bugging you that you cant drift?
Settings you find yourself useing over and over?

Back