So what's new Physics wise?

I haven't seen very many active forum topics discussing how the physics have changed?

I'm going to assume that is because very little people have had hands on experience.

Any word on a PSN demo before release?

go to your local Best Buy, that's the new physics. It's a little different, but really if you've been driving on Pro physics in Prologue you'll be fine. It just sucks to play with a dualshock. I'm way more apt to spin out than when driving with the G27

Well i played the demo at GameStop which i assume was the CES 2010 build cause i noticed things on the TGS 2010 build that wasnt present there... My personal opinion physics have improved,, As too how much i cant really tell unless i get to use a wheel, which of course wasnt provided for the demo.. Now the demo is only 2mins long so not much to explore.. But my overall feel for it was thumbs up.. Now I know this may sound stupid cause im a nobody, but i promise you the final game is gonna be better than any demo build..

It just sucks to play with a dualshock.

This is what concerns me, especially as there will be no pre-release demo. One of the many things that amazed me about the original GT was how intuitive the control method was, how it made the controller effectively transparent. This was missing for me - coming back to the series earlier this year having not played GT4 since '06 - in GT5P, where pro physics particularly seemed to be more of a meta-game of controlling the controller rather than controlling the car.

The vast majority of people who will buy GT5 will use a DS3 to play it; I really hope that PD haven't neglected the importance of controls in their physics enhancements.

This is what concerns me, especially as there will be no pre-release demo. One of the many things that amazed me about the original GT was how intuitive the control method was, how it made the controller effectively transparent. This was missing for me - coming back to the series earlier this year having not played GT4 since '06 - in GT5P, where pro physics particularly seemed to be more of a meta-game of controlling the controller rather than controlling the car.

The vast majority of people who will buy GT5 will use a DS3 to play it; I really hope that PD haven't neglected the importance of controls in their physics enhancements.

Unless you're really adept or willing to put in the time, it's probably best to stick with the Standard physics when using DS3. The Pro physics was designed to work best with a FFB steering wheel. There's nothing wrong with using Standard physics (or even turning up all the driving aids in either physics) especially if your intention is to enjoy the game. On the other hand if you want to be fast (eg. use a wheel) or prefer to be challenged (eg. use the Move controller:)), the options are there.

Even playing the 2010 demo at Best Buy with the DS3, I could tell the physics have changed dramatically from the days of GT5P's Spec III. For one, when I was driving the GT-R GT500 car down the home stretch of Tokyo and tried going left to right really fast, the car was way too planted and really resistant to my actions.

It was also easier to determine when I was on the verge of grip, whereas GT5P gave me barely any warning right before it kicked the car into a spin.

Here's my physics impressions from the Aussie GT5 3D demo I tried recently

Compared to other games, played with a pad, using dual analog sticks - left stick for steering, and right for throttle/brakes, it feels better than Prologue (feels like your on skates), better than the Time Trial (too twitchy), better than a modded PC NFS Shift. It feels different to LFS, which has a more rubbery/looser feel, but quite a lot like the updated Netkar Pro with a pad. Tighter and more solid feeling. Netkar Pro is quite playable with a pad, even though it's one of the best PC sims out there :)

I can't get a good feel with the DS3, feels empty, it doesn't even vibrate, will have to wait till I try it with a DFGT wheel, but it's way different to Prologue, and different again to the Time Trial with a pad.

It feels more connected to the road than in Prologue, where you felt more like on skates. While it doesn't feel as twitchy as the Time Trial.
In the Time Trial, you had to use super smooth steering and throttle on the pad, but here it feels more smoothed out and easier to handle. I don't think it does 1:1 steering to wheel movement anymore like it was in the Time Trial. There is probbaly some speed sensitive steering limiting now.
The tyre model is different too, it's much more progressive, but can still snap if your not careful or over correct

I had 3 goes, all in Pro mode, Pro Physics, no traction control, everything off etc. TV was pretty loud so I could hear the sounds clearly.

1) Motul Autech GT-R on the Tokyo track, R1 tyres. Had a pretty big over steer moment on turn 1, but after that I managed to get around the track ok. It felt pretty planted with all the down force and grip. AI blew me away off course

2) Time Trial - Nascar on the Madrid track with R1. This thing is hard to control, It doesn't like to turn, and the smallest wiff of the throttle smokes up the rear tyres! Pretty loud transmission whine, so this is probably the E3 build
The low revs off idle of this is really loud and rumbley. It takes ages for the car to get moving (or stop) if you lose control and have to start up again from a dead stop

3) AMG SLS on Rome - with Traction control on 1, on S3 tyres. It's quite progressive on these tyres. You can drift it quite predictably with practise.

Graphics wise, in 3D it looks like Prologue I guess. When I switched to outside view and slide sideways the smoke looked excellent, really dense.
Pro physics is no fun on a pad, relatively speaking but easier to handle than in the Time Trial with a pad. I don't think you'd be competitive with a pad in pro physics against a wheel user anymore.

I went back for another go on the Demo this morning.

I poked around the menus a bit more, and everything is locked apart from a cut down arcade mode. This demo is different from the others on the net.
There is no Indy Speedway in it - only Rome, Madrid, Tokyo, Nurburgring Nordschleife, and the Toscana rally track

There is the nice smoke, grass/dirt debris, but no skid marks. Also some damage, the rear bumper of the Ferrari 458 was hanging loose after a few "gentle" taps. I didn't try to ram the car to see if there was more than that though

All the races I did today were in Intermediate mode, with Pro physics. Ai is slower in this mode. I could be wrong, but Pro physics in Intermediate feels different to Pro physics in Pro mode... I wasn't getting the sudden snap power oversteer I had yesterday in pro mode.
Mostly S3 tyres today with or without traction control at 1 (out of 10)

It felt even more solid and connected to road than yesterday.
The first race I did was with whatever the demonstrator was using, Enzo, auto, traction control etc, on the Ring, and the Enzo is a handful even then. The rear end of this car is quite loose whenever you brake or coast into a turn, it wants to swap ends. And I spun in a blink of an eye when I rode the curbs with power on.

The grass is pretty slippery on the ring.

458 on Rome. Noticed the rear bumper hanging loose as I mentioned above.
Seemed pretty stable compared to the SLS and Enzo. I didn't have too many power oversteer moments. SLS on the same track = drift machine in comparison

SLS on the ring. Much easier to drive than the Enzo here. But once you get on the grass, you'll be sliding for a good while. Probably a tad too slippery.

Did 1 race in the Citroen Rally car on that Toscana gravel track, and it felt good! It's not as slippery like everyone says, it actually "felt" like gravel with a control pad. There was a definite gravel "texture" to it, but if you went onto the dirt sections on the side then it become more slippery. I pretty much feathered the throttle between 2nd and 3rd most of the time and it felt more or less like Richards Burns rally or something.
I guess if you try to drive like on a tarmac road, then it might be slippery...
When it gets dark it's really hard to see though

The Rally car sounded pretty good, as a turbo'ed inline 4 would sound, kinda boomy type note. The other street cars thin out a lot in cockpit view like in those Epsilon vids.

Last edited:
Unless you're really adept or willing to put in the time, it's probably best to stick with the Standard physics when using DS3. The Pro physics was designed to work best with a FFB steering wheel. There's nothing wrong with using Standard physics (or even turning up all the driving aids in either physics) especially if your intention is to enjoy the game. On the other hand if you want to be fast (eg. use a wheel) or prefer to be challenged (eg. use the Move controller:)), the options are there.

Yes, I agree there, and I've had no problems about using standard physics for most races in GT5P. However that's not an ideal compromise either - there's still not the same natural feeling to driving that early GT games had, and GT5P's standard physics is rather poor in my opinion. I'm confident that last point will have changed over the last couple of years, but less confident that any of the driving will actually feel rewarding using a DS3.

Turning up driving aids in pro physics is something I'll certainly explore in GT5, though I hope that ABS alone will be enough. I'm not out to prove anything to anyone while playing, so I don't mind what settings I end up on so long as I find something fun :)

Here's my physics impressions from the Aussie GT5 3D demo I tried recently
Compared to other games, played with a pad, using dual analog sticks - left stick for steering, and right for throttle/brakes, it feels better than Prologue (feels like your on skates), better than the Time Trial (too twitchy), better than a modded PC NFS Shift. It feels different to LFS, which has a more rubbery/looser feel, but quite a lot like the updated Netkar Pro with a pad. Tighter and more solid feeling. Netkar Pro is quite playable with a pad, even though it's one of the best PC sims out there :)

Thanks, that's very informative and sounds rather positive to me :)

GT5's standard physics feels different to Prologue's though. You can oversteer even with grippy tyres, just not as much as the Pro Physics.

Have a look at oversteer on both laps, on the last corner. Standard physics, no aids, S3 Sport tyres, ZR1, Nurburgring GP.
At 1:11 and 3:24.
Off course with Pro physics, you'll get oversteer not only in sharp corners but anytime to put the pedal down too quickly in a powerful ZR1 :)
The tyre model is different to Prologue's, and the Time Trial, a lot more progressive. I could do quite predictable drifts in the demo, with a pad

[YOUTUBEHD]rnfd64YAFqw[/YOUTUBEHD]

Last edited:
Yes, I agree there, and I've had no problems about using standard physics for most races in GT5P. However that's not an ideal compromise either - there's still not the same natural feeling to driving that early GT games had, and GT5P's standard physics is rather poor in my opinion. I'm confident that last point will have changed over the last couple of years, but less confident that any of the driving will actually feel rewarding using a DS3.

Turning up driving aids in pro physics is something I'll certainly explore in GT5, though I hope that ABS alone will be enough. I'm not out to prove anything to anyone while playing, so I don't mind what settings I end up on so long as I find something fun :)

Thanks, that's very informative and sounds rather positive to me :)

I'm glad you've got your priorities in place. I'm not familiar with other than GT4, GT5P and the GT Academy TT (I spent about a month owning a PS2 and GT3 before I selling it) so the evolution in how the controller feels with each version of GT is beyond my comprehension. I did spent about two weeks using Sixaxix controller (yes, before Sony released the DS3) with GT5P before running out and buying myself a FFB steering wheel :)

This is why traction control, stability controls, steering aids and standard physics exist. With those turned off on pro mode why should it be easier with the DS3?

@CoolColJ

I can tell without even testing the new demo out that the driving physics are better.The Corvette looked as if it was more planted when taking turns.

The anticipation is killing me!!November 2nd needs to ge here sooner lol.

Any word on a PSN demo before release?

There won't be a PSN demo. Kazunori Yamauchi confirmed on his twitter that there won't be one.

I wonder if GT5 will have brake assist in the retail version. It seems to be standard in a lot of racing sims now.

Last edited:
@CoolColJ

I can tell without even testing the new demo out that the driving physics are better.The Corvette looked as if it was more planted when taking turns.

The anticipation is killing me!!November 2nd needs to ge here sooner lol.

Standard physics in the video, Pro physics slides around a lot more, and you have to be a lot more careful with the throttle :)

Is tyre type connected to this at all? The various combinations.

If you use the same tyre type, in each physics mode, there is a difference in how much power oversteer you get

How close is GT5p to real life car physics?

Not all that close IMO. It feels like your on skates. Weight transfer isn't all that apparent, and low speed physics is pretty bad

There won't be a PSN demo. Kazunori Yamauchi confirmed on his twitter that there won't be one.

I wonder if GT5 will have brake assist in the retail version. It seems to be standard in a lot of racing sims now.

You mean the AI braking for you like in FM3? Not sure they said that they have that implemented in it. You don't need it as there is a braking line you can use to help you figure out where to begin braking.

The sound in the video are very promising, that corvette sounds very good, I can hear the grunt of that V8, can't wait to hear that on my 5.1 surround sound system cranked up, indeed. Hope PD gives you the option of changing the volume of in game sounds separately for example, engine noise, tire noise, ambient noise, opponent vehicles, wind noise, etc. Here's hoping.

Judging from my experience with the demo, and from what others say how it feels, with a wheel, we finally have that unsteadiness under heavy braking and weight transfer causing spins with trail braking, that has been sorely lacking in all GT games until now

The physics on this are awesome, for those of you who have played the "Best Buy Demo", then it is the same as that. There is a lot more focus on weight transfer and also with tyre grip. I saw a lot of people driving down the straight, weaving from side to side and that was it, they were in a full on tank slapper.

Braking is improved also as a result, which makes braking in a straight line all that more important, and trail braking a lot harder. with all your weight shifted to the front wheels, any jerkiness under brakes and your in a full slide.

So yeah, basically everything that josh said. The weight transfer was a lot more noticeable, I spun out a couple of time braking hard and turing into a corner and such. Felt really nice, framerate never went down once. Using the same wheel I have, so it was nice how it was going to play when I eventally get it. Pity I couldn't use manual.

See 1:04

Last edited:
GT5's standard physics feels different to Prologue's though. You can oversteer even with grippy tyres, just not as much as the Pro Physics.

Have a look at oversteer on both laps, on the last corner. Standard physics, no aids, S3 Sport tyres, ZR1, Nurburgring GP.
At 1:11 and 3:24.
Off course with Pro physics, you'll get oversteer not only in sharp corners but anytime to put the pedal down too quickly in a powerful ZR1 :)
The tyre model is different to Prologue's, and the Time Trial, a lot more progressive. I could do quite predictable drifts in the demo, with a pad

[YOUTUBEHD]rnfd64YAFqw[YOUTUBEHD]

Thats cool that they put in the HUD just like IRL :)

Looks just like when I drive to work

So basically, I won't want to drive anything of higher performance than say an RX-7 until I get a good hold of the physics and wheel, otherwise I'm going to have an unintentional Manji until I make friends with a wall.

The poster was named GTPlanet and you ask if we on GTPlanet have seen it, most have seen it quite some time ago. Yea it's old sorry for being rudish I'm sure newer members will appreciate it.

I just hope the physics on GT5 improve alot over GT5p cause i started to play rFactor and i'm afraid to say that now wen i play GT5p it feels like playing NFS ....0~0

the standard physics in GT5P & GTPSP are a lot like GT4. The pro physics in GTPSP are like GT3. The pro physics in GT5P are like GTPSP pro physics except more complex & accurate. The pro physics in GT5 take it even further & give you the best physics of any sim ever made. I've played iRacing, LFS, GTR Evo, rFactor, & they're awesome beyond belief but as far as pure driving physics GT5 is a lot closer to life. especially in the cars I've raced in game & in real life, there's just no denying it unless you're in denial like that inside sim racing anti console show on youtube

Back