Should B-Spec be in GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chrisbroughton
  • 197 comments
  • 19,694 views

Should B-Spec be in GT5?

  • Yes, keep it like GT4

    Votes: 60 16.8%
  • Yes, but add a save feature for the middle of a race.

    Votes: 145 40.6%
  • NO!! The game is all about driving, not watching!

    Votes: 40 11.2%
  • No, but take out the long enduros in it.

    Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Make us A-spec the lot, but let us save in the middle.

    Votes: 105 29.4%

  • Total voters
    357
I didn't vote because my option is not there.

Keep the B-Spec, but in a way that we can have actual control on what the hell Bob's doing (the one that says "keep it like GT4" doesn't feel right).

Enduro races will probably stay on the game, In that case, so should B-Spec.
No player should be obligated to do an entire 24h race entirely on A-Spec.
 
I voted to a-spec the lot with saves in the middle.
I assumed that meant no to b-spec and yes to mid-race saves.

B-spec always bothered me.
B-spec made me feel like I was being robbed of the gaming experience. I mean, to complete the enduros I had to use B-spec... While that was handy for getting through the 24 hours of daylight, I never felt like it was fun.

I've never bought a racing game so I could watch the computer race for me. 👎
Also, I never had the problems with B-spec mode others complain about... I just watched the race from the monitor view and made sure B-spec's speed setting was never too high.

In any case though, I would love to see B-spec scrapped. 👍
Btw, I'm almost sure it will not be scrapped. :ouch:
 
Just as long as it comes with a mid-race save feature...

But in my case it's handy for the 24h races, I split the driving with Bob, that geek bastard.
 
NO. I'd rather do it myself with the ability to save in the middle of an enduro, or do it real-time with a buddy.

I think there was a Le Mans 24 Hours game on the PS2 where you could save the race progress at pitstops, it was nice.
 
I think I agree with Grand Prix, but I might change my mind.
 
I'll admit I did use BOB on occasion but I would rather not have the option for the next game. And yes...please add the save feature so that I may A-spec an enduro.
 
Well i think B-spec can come handy at times. Like if you had to do a 24hrs race and you are like too tired to do it yourself, you could swap with Bob! Another thing is like....well i think its cheating if you let Bob win those hard races. But for GTPlanet's sake PD, please allow us to save in mid-races! Just can't do enduros without it....
 
Definitely yes, but add some save features. I think B-spec is very cool... i just wish there was more options in control, so the player can be more involved in the race without actually racing.
 
Just give us a save function when you pit during any race regardless of it's length :)

I tried B Spec once, but didn't see the point in it. So Bob never saw the light of day again :D
 
Read me right... ABSOLUTELY keep it. My choice would have been "Make it like GT4 and allow us to save for longer races." "B-Spec Bob" is one of the stupidest names I've ever heard for a feature (I personally dislike that name). I always think of B-Spec as my teammate. If I can't win the race, MAYBE my teammate can fare better. There are still a number of races and events that are A-Spec only. I'm not thinking in terms of myself and my abilities, I'm thinking of other peoples' abilities as well. Because let's face it- not everyone are Gran Turismo veterans or even racing game veterans like myself. I think back to when I played "R.C. Pro-Am" on the NES back around 1992 or so. I was a younger lad, but I eventually got around riding walls. I improved my technique as I got older and went from RPGs to racing games. But even with all my ability, I'm guaranteed nothing in winning races for whatever game I'm playing. There are races even my finest skills can't muster. So rather than trying to man-up and do this myself, MAYBE my B-Spec counterpart can do better. So I would keep it into the game.

Next up, I want to tackle the "let the computer beat the game for me" complaint. Really, now? If the B-Spec driver was so perfect, how come he/she can't just do a magic code and win races? If the B-Spec driver really lets the computer beat the game for you, then I could have a Fiat 500F to race the 24 Hours of Le Mans (either race) and win with no problem. Fact of the matter is, the B-Spec driver is not to show your lack of racing talent. It's not there to make you belittled among peers. It's there to help you win the race when you probably can't win on your own. All the cheap shots I heard about GT... how come the Drivatar hasn't been hated on much in Forza? Even if your car is on pace with the other cars in the race (usually 5 to 10 A-Spec), your B-Spec driver isn't a guaranteed win. So I hate the complaint that the B-Spec driver is the one who plays the game itself and wins for you. I just hate that logic or that thought.

And that's about it for here.
 
I personally think that B-spec should be scrapped. It's too easy to fall into the habit of doing races (especially long ones) with B-spec, and it's no fun. If they gave you an option to save in the middle of a race, that would be great.
 
I vote yes, but add a save feature.

Hell, why not make it so we can swap out with bob whenever we want to?

Say you don't like b-spec, but you don't have the time to do a 24 hour enduro. Do some of the race yourself, set it to b spec when you don't have time, and then swap back later on. Just like a REAL endurance.. If i recall they don't make the same driver drive for 24 hours straight.
 
I voted yes but with a save feature, for a number of reasons:

#1 - my mom limits my PS2 time so there's no way I could get away with A-spec-ing enduros.

#2 - I don't want to drive for 24 hours, I'd just get sick of the game. I'm not quite a GT purist, just a driver and fan.

#3 - When I don't want to drive or when I'm not doing well it's there.

But I hope that in GT5 that you can train BSB (B Spec Bob) to make him better, and that it will STAY at 3x speed after a pit stop.

:-)
 
I vote yes, but add a save feature.

Hell, why not make it so we can swap out with bob whenever we want to?

Say you don't like b-spec, but you don't have the time to do a 24 hour enduro. Do some of the race yourself, set it to b spec when you don't have time, and then swap back later on. Just like a REAL endurance.. If i recall they don't make the same driver drive for 24 hours straight.

Exactly. I want the option to do the entire race myself or to swap with my B spec driver and complete stints.

The most important addition to the next installment of GT has to be a save feature. I'm not going through this again...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61338
 
I vote yes, but add a save feature.

Hell, why not make it so we can swap out with bob whenever we want to?

Say you don't like b-spec, but you don't have the time to do a 24 hour enduro. Do some of the race yourself, set it to b spec when you don't have time, and then swap back later on. Just like a REAL endurance.. If i recall they don't make the same driver drive for 24 hours straight.

Well, I'd like to be able to do it. As a tribute to Pierre Levegh, who once drove 23 of the 24 Hours at Le Mans before his car broke down on the last hour. I'd have to use the save feature though, I'm not as crazy as he was. :scared:
 
HOLY FACK! What about an online B-spec function, where you can have a friend race for you? And you could give him instructions via a headset? That would rock!
 
I like the idea of racing it myself. It's more rewarding and satisfying. The issue I have is time, I don't have time to play through a full endurance or a series race.
I think GT5 should implement a game state save, so that we can save our race and come back to it later. My guess why this isn't implemented is maybe because this isn't realistic???

So it sounds like B-Spec racing is the solution.
I vote for "Make us A-spec the lot, but let us save in the middle."
 
I voted to keep it and add a save feature. Here's why:

  • Real drivers don't drive 24 hours by themselves, why should I
  • B-Spec allows me to sit back and watch a race if I want to, and the race still counts
  • Having B-Spec allows you to skip any championships/races that you dislike
 
I didn't vote because my "ideals" not listed. I also would like a save, but my save would be where I wanted to stop at the time, also if I did have a save in a 24hr race I would not only like to save it but also be able to do other races inbetween.
 
  • Real drivers don't drive 24 hours by themselves, why should I
  • B-Spec allows me to sit back and watch a race if I want to, and the race still counts
  • Having B-Spec allows you to skip any championships/races that you dislike

Exactly my point. 👍

I don't understand the people that don't use B-Spec for nothing, some things they say.
I totally understand them and even praise them for that (:bowdown:), but it's the whole "holier than thou" attitude I find puzzling, as if B-Spec'ing a few races on the game makes me impure or less of a player or GT fan.

That I don't get.
 
Exactly. If there's a race you're not good at or racing tracks you can't win on, you give yourself a much better chance with a B-Spec driver than solo. Do you want to win a race, or do you want to continually struggle until you become overly frustrated with trying to win? Use your resources. Longest race I've done was the Tokyo R246 endurance in GT3. It was as long as an ALMS sprint race (2:45:00). For the one guy who had all of that endurance to do Le Mans and stuff in A-Spec for the long duration... that's you. But what about everybody else? I'm back in college. Don't tell me that ANYONE can do a full race in A-Spec. It can be done, but how often can it be done? We usually take time out of our day to do things like play a game and play it for a duration of time. B-Spec is not to belittle you, and it sure as hell isn't there to automatically win races for you. You don't have to chase 200 A-Spec points all the time. Just get out there and race, damn it! Even for longer races, just boosting the speed to longer degrees still doesn't mean who have too much time to clear the races. I constantly watched my B-Spec racer around Le Mans for the better part of 8 to 10 hours. I don't have that time every day to do extremely long races all the time. I'm still a Gran Turismo veteran even if my B-Spec counterpart does better than me. The B-Spec driver doesn't suck so much if you use him/her more often. This is not as bad of a feature as people take it. Think of it as a last resort for those who aren't very good to begin with. Like me. I have a better chance at winning with a B-Spec driver if I can't do it very well in A-Spec.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Make it better so that B-Spec is even more effective in races. You're still playing the game, only you're managing and coaching your AI driver. PD just needs to make it better able to concentrate and win races. Use every resource available to you to win races.
 
Interesting to see that there is a much greater variety of views than I had anticipated...

You've really given me stuff to think about, but I am standing by my view that we should be able to save during races, but have to A-Spec the lot. (If the B-Spec would be like it is in GT4).

But if they make huge improvements to it, then I could be pursauaded otherwise.

Perhaps, if you did the race with the B-Spec driver you should have to split the prize money with him or something, to pursuade you to do it yourself, but leaving the option there for those who want it.
 
I voted to keep it and add a save feature. Here's why:

  • Real drivers don't drive 24 hours by themselves, why should I
  • B-Spec allows me to sit back and watch a race if I want to, and the race still counts
  • Having B-Spec allows you to skip any championships/races that you dislike
Have to agree with Earth {and others} .. Del still wants the option of using B-Spec when the need is warranted .

BUT Del wants more for GT5 ! ..... C-SPEC :) ..... where we control a race team {2 or 3 cars} .. yes pls
 
I chose A-speccing it all with the save in the middle option.

It's about you racing, not bob.
 
I think it'd be fun if you could switch A-spec/B-spec with a friend in an online race, kinda like a tag team. Like, in an online match, the A-spec racers cannot see maps, places, times, etc. but their B-spec partners can see that info and give it to them via microphone. Then if you wanna switch jobs with your partner, head to the pits.

But otherwise, A-spec with save for the single-player modes.
 
scrap it! Btw for 24hr enduro races why not get one of your real life friends to run a couple of stints.......or you can pause the game after coming into the pits and resume play another time imagining that your the next driver!!!! (after all this is only a game remember???) Also if its too hard to finish a race (you shouldnt have to win them all) then you should keep tring.
 
Get rid of it. Then the boys will be clearly separated from the girls. Girls in skirts should not be allowed to get F1 cars if they can't finish a 24-hour race in A-Spec mode, period.
 
IMO, either allow me to save when I pit, or get rid some ridiculously long races. Even 6 hours is enough to simulate the feel of an endurance race, when all the other races are 15 laps or less. I'm a huge racing fan, but even I said WTF were they thinking, when I saw that there really were really 24 hour races in GT4. And if you're gonna add 24 hour races, it's almost a crime not to add the Daytona 24hr course, Seibring, or Spa ect.
 
I say keep it and improve it. Sometimes it's nice to just watch your car race. Also it lets you get past the races with cars/tracks you don't like and on to the races you really want to do.
 
Back