• ModNation Racers •

kjb
I have been playing the demo and while I love the game the loading times are horrible is it like that in the actual game?

You will spend a lot of time watching the loading screen, the game load twice before you get to the ModSpot, load every time you enter something (career, online,...), load before and after the race, load after cut scene. :crazy:

This game is bordering on awful. I seriously can not beat any of the challenges other then come in 3rd or better so I'm stuck only unlocking crap. I seriously just raced one race 6 times trying to unlock the challenges, it's the one where you have to take down Skidplate and get 4,000 max speed points. I'm able to do both but I either get missiled right at the end or some other stupid friggen thing making me lose the race.

There is no enjoyment here and then making me wait through load times like that pisses me off. I thought the PS3 had more processing power then that.

This game is bordering on awful. I seriously can not beat any of the challenges other then come in 3rd or better so I'm stuck only unlocking crap. I seriously just raced one race 6 times trying to unlock the challenges, it's the one where you have to take down Skidplate and get 4,000 max speed points. I'm able to do both but I either get missiled right at the end or some other stupid friggen thing making me lose the race.

There is no enjoyment here and then making me wait through load times like that pisses me off. I thought the PS3 had more processing power then that.

All I can suggest tips wise is this:
1. drift a lot
2. If you get in the lead don't bother boosting. Save it for shield and try wait for the last second of any attacks to use your shield.
3. Avoid hitting walls (obviously)
4. Don't double jump and generally you will not need to jump unless you need boost.
5. Learn all the shortcuts
6. Keep a level 3 weapon on you when in the lead. If you are about to get hit/lose your weapon just fire it anyway. Better a fired weapon missed than one that doesn't get fired at all.

It also help to focus on one challenge at a time.
In that level, the first race, I go for the take out Skidplate 1st, finish the race and after the unlock screen, restarted and go for the Top Speed point challenge. If you get lucky and get both, it's great but it will be less frustrating than trying to do all at the same time.

Some of the achievements to unlock new items are pure bull. I'm trying to get 15000 spin points on one track and it's not registering my spins for no apparent reason. UGH.

Some of the achievements to unlock new items are pure bull. I'm trying to get 15000 spin points on one track and it's not registering my spins for no apparent reason. UGH.

If you don't get a full 360 degree spin then it wont register. If the track you are stuck on is the one I'm thinking then you need to find all the shortcuts with the ramps and use those. Most of the spin point requirement ones require you to nail every spin every lap.

As said above, you need to do and land a full 360 or more to get bonus points, it took me a while to figure it it out too. Keep at it because some of the tasks are tricky and take go after go to get. Personally I'm loving the challenge.

If you don't get a full 360 degree spin then it wont register. If the track you are stuck on is the one I'm thinking then you need to find all the shortcuts with the ramps and use those. Most of the spin point requirement ones require you to nail every spin every lap.

I'm getting way more than 360°, and landing straight, and it's still only counting them on the first lap. :(

I've just published my first track BTW, it's called 'Jungle Run' and the description had GTP in it so I'm hoping that searching for GTP will bring it up 👍 Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
As said above, you need to do and land a full 360 or more to get bonus points, it took me a while to figure it it out too. Keep at it because some of the tasks are tricky and take go after go to get. Personally I'm loving the challenge.

Agreed. It puts me in mind of the golden years of video gaming, where multiple tries at a level was common place. Too many games, nowadays, cater to the casual crowd, and thus lack any real difficulty.

I'm getting way more than 360°, and landing straight, and it's still only counting them on the first lap.

You have to land perfectly straight. If you do, it WILL register your spins. Just keep at it.

;)

Here's a preview of my track;
modnationracers.jpg

And my character and main kart;
modnationracers3.jpg

modnationracers1c.jpg

That dead space one is awesome. I will have to give your track a go too.

HN7
You will spend a lot of time watching the loading screen, the game load twice before you get to the ModSpot, load every time you enter something (career, online,...), load before and after the race, load after cut scene. :crazy:

Thanks. I really want to get this game but the loading times might be a deal breaker.

kjb
Thanks. I really want to get this game but the loading times might be a deal breaker.

It's really annoying for sure, but not enough to ruin this game, plus they working on a patch to reduce the loading time. Have you tried the demo? If you like demo and can tolerate the load time, get the game, the amount of content and fun you'll have will overshadow the load time. :)

You can also transfer all your characters/karts/tracks, created in the demo, over to the full game.
;)

I was in the beta and loaded up the full game today after it arrived in yesterday's mail.

My old beta kart and track ported over, but no sign of my character. :indiff: Not a big loss, but sort of weird.

As much as playing it, I'm watching MNR from a business and marketing perspective - United Front Games is doing a remarkable job promoting this game and getting players and potential players to emotionally invest in the game in advance. They're really doing an outstanding job with this one. 👍

Look for UFG to be the next Sony acquisition (for big $$$) now that Media Molecule is in their stable. The play/race/create/share concept is a game-changer, so to speak, IMHO.

The load times really aren't that bad. As has been mentioned, the content/replayability far overshadows the issue with loading times.

I just created a Suicide Girl Character/Kart. I'll upload pics tomorrow.

;)

how do you manage to get photos from the game onto here? as I have a few of my best (and so far only) creation I want to upload.

how do you manage to get photos from the game onto here? as I have a few of my best (and so far only) creation I want to upload.

I just use the built-in camera feature and then copy the photos onto thumb drive. Modnation makes it pretty easy.

So far I've had about 60 downloads of my Calsonic Skyline, which is a fairly good motivator for me to keep making things. Maybe I'll go through some of those trackbuilder tutorials later on.

just finished my next car, hopefully it will end up being fairly popular. The subaru rally cars are so popular in the game, I thought it needed an Evo VII friend. Maybe if I get daring I will do a remix of it with the marlboro badging...

Last edited:
HN7
It's really annoying for sure, but not enough to ruin this game, plus they working on a patch to reduce the loading time. Have you tried the demo? If you like demo and can tolerate the load time, get the game, the amount of content and fun you'll have will overshadow the load time. :)
I have played the demo and I like it. I'm on the fence right now. I will either buy this or red Dead redemption.

Houston..We Have Liftoff.

ModNationRacers_3.jpg

I was bored and wanted to take a cool shot so I put a couple directional pads on a curved fence(think that's what it's called) at the end of a long straight. I am going to attempt to see how hi I can get it tomorrow.

Can you guys try something for me? In the track creator, make any track, then place a line of 'stadium seating' props alongside the track in a straight line, like you'd find in a real stadium. Then, test drive the track and go back to the editor and check the alignment of the stadium sections.

Whenever I do it, it's knocking the sections off center causing them to appear 'stacked' instead of a straight line :(

Finished the career mode/challenges and unlocked everything (bar the psp required unlock) so now I started creating some things. Here is what I've made so far:

Ferrari P4

dscf0029l.jpg

Lamborghini Murcielago SV

dscf0030bl.jpg

Lotus Racing F1 Car

dscf0033c.jpg

Back to the Future 3 Train

dscf0031el.jpg

National Lampoons Vacation Car

dscf0032g.jpg

Fusion Alien

dscf0034c.jpg

Chevy Chase in National Lampoons Vacation

dscf0035r.jpg

Doc in Back to the Future 2

dscf0036cf.jpg

Red M&M

dscf0037.jpg

Now we just need a Delorean. 👍

Yeah there are a few things I was hoping were in the game as I have some ideas (e.g. Wanted to make Otto from the Simpsons but they don't have the right hair) The train was as close as I could get.

You do know there's a high quality photo mode in the game, right?

I do but it was quicker to do it this way. I don't think I could use photomode in the create station can i? Couldn't work it out at the time anyway and was pressed for time.

I do but it was quicker to do it this way. I don't think I could use photomode in the create station can i? Couldn't work it out at the time anyway and was pressed for time.

You can use it in Create Station, you can even see it in the image of Doc from Back To The Future. It's done by pressing start.

Anyway, I got the game on Saturday and have been playing it and enjoying it so far, career can be a wee bit frustrating but thats fine. I've done a couple of creations so far, one being Cadwell Park. I couldn't smooth out the landscape to create a nice flowing and smooth hill so this had to do. I tried to make it pretty accurate, at the moment it's only a pure racing track and has no boost pads or anything like that, but I might do a second version for those who prefer action racing. I spent what felt like forever watching onboard laps of Cadwell to try and get the ups and downs of the track correct. I think I managed it. I'd be grateful if any of you guys felt like checking it out, feed back would be appreciated!

ModNationRacers4.jpg

Another thing I've been working on is my Porsche 917 Le Mans car. It's been pretty simple to make but perhaps the body shell isn't the best one to use, but its the only I've unlocked which is suitable. I personally like it. It was a pain to do the Gulf logos on the front sitting above the headlights as it is apparently a mixture of bonnet stickers and side, therefore I had to try and stick them together in a jig-saw kind of fashion. Which was a pain. I think it looks ok though.

ModNationRacers7.jpg

ModNationRacers5.jpg

ModNationRacers6.jpg

In the last shot you can see my Mod too, I've been pretty un-creative in regards to my Mod, just a simple Stig outfit, I might come round to being more inventive another time. Also, I thought I'd show you guys something my brother has been working on for most of today. It's basically modelled upon Petter Solberg's Citreon C4 (2010) WRC car. The Shell logo itself was made up of about 20 layers :scared: I was pretty amazed by it actually seeming he isn't usually into doing this kind of thing.

ModNationRacers8.jpg

ModNationRacers9.jpg

Finished the career mode/challenges and unlocked everything (bar the psp required unlock) so now I started creating some things. Here is what I've made so far:

Ferrari P4

dscf0029l.jpg

Lamborghini Murcielago SV

dscf0030bl.jpg

Lotus Racing F1 Car

dscf0033c.jpg

Back to the Future 3 Train

dscf0031el.jpg

National Lampoons Vacation Car

dscf0032g.jpg

Fusion Alien

dscf0034c.jpg

Chevy Chase in National Lampoons Vacation

dscf0035r.jpg

Doc in Back to the Future 2

dscf0036cf.jpg

Red M&M

dscf0037.jpg

Hey, Just wondering, when you beat the whole career are there any new modes unlocked.. , maybe a pure race career mode?
Thanks.

Back