• ModNation Racers •

Hey, Just wondering, when you beat the whole career are there any new modes unlocked.. , maybe a pure race career mode?
Thanks.

Nope nothing. Think in the end it adds up to 35 races all up if you count the grudge matches. I thought it was a little short to be honest given games like Motorstorm have 100 races. I guess they expect you to race a lot of other people's tracks.

What annoys me for this game is the trophies actually. You somehow need to get 500k xp between online xp races (which nobody is ever on and you may be lucky to get about 3 or so per hour which give you maybe 30 odd xp per race) and getting people to download your content which is a max of 5xp if they even use it. So bar whoever created the mods/karts in the top 3, nobody is going to get the xp needed before they die of old age.

R1600Turbo: I'll look into the track later and have a shot at it.

Nope nothing. Think in the end it adds up to 35 races all up if you count the grudge matches. I thought it was a little short to be honest given games like Motorstorm have 100 races. I guess they expect you to race a lot of other people's tracks.

What annoys me for this game is the trophies actually. You somehow need to get 500k xp between online xp races (which nobody is ever on and you may be lucky to get about 3 or so per hour which give you maybe 30 odd xp per race) and getting people to download your content which is a max of 5xp if they even use it. So bar whoever created the mods/karts in the top 3, nobody is going to get the xp needed before they die of old age.

R1600Turbo: I'll look into the track later and have a shot at it.

I Don't know how I didn't think of asking you this, but,
An even better question.. How the hell did you beat the game?! Its incredibly hard, The AI can get so annoying, the (Most hated thing about the game) AI always tends to magically obtain numerous amounts of level 2 and 3 power ups right at the end of the race, and most of the times when im first, 3rd lap, they somehow get the powerups (Even if the track doesn't even have powerups somewhat near the finish line at all) and they literally Rape me right before I cross the finish line (Or in many cases, I don't make it at all because they would just take the lead after shooting multiple atomic bombs at my pacifist 'Stig' mod), It seems like the opponents are their for one thing and one thing only, to cause bodily harm to others.. Its like those guys that play certain sports, for the sole purpose of hitting another guy.. In this case I can't agree with "Don't hate the player, hate the game"- Instead I love the game in general, But hate the AI.

Does anyone on this thread have any tips?

[On Tier 4 races]

Last edited:
Wait till the final race. The guy you need to beat is the biggest AI cheat I have ever come across. Winning races isn't too bad but the Challenges are well... challenging

Anyhow for useful tips here is what I can suggest
1. Persistance - you can do the exact same thing two races in a row yet somehow end up first in one and last in the other. So just keep trying and you will get it eventually.
2. Don't even bother trying to get away from the other karts thanks to the rubber band effect. Get into the lead, save your boost to use as a shield
3.Save your weapon for whenever someone happens to get ahead of you. Or use your secondary weapon (dropping mines) by holding the square button. I think the secondary weapon is the same whether you have a level 1 or 3 weapon so as soon as you get a level 1 one then use that.
4. Shortcut as much as possible
5. Try keep your drift going as far as possible. But if you see you arent going to make a corner, abandon the drift and brake. It is better to do that than slam into the wall and get no extra boost because you got greedy.

This game is a bit...crap if you take away the creation options. The racing is stupidly, stupidly difficult thanks to completely unfair AI and the challenges are nigh on impossible. Just now I spent ages getting 4000 top speed points and win the race, only to be attacked by a weapon just before the finish line that went through my barrier. I then fired at the guy who had overtaken me and my weapon went through him.

Who the hell programmed this game?!

The creation is a big part of the game. That is what makes it different from Mario Kart in the end. I guess that is similar to LBP. It isn't much of a game once you get rid of the customization in that too.

The AI can be a reason to swear at the TV at times but they are easy compared to Motorstorm, Wipeout HD or even Ridge Racer.

The creation is a big part of the game. That is what makes it different from Mario Kart in the end. I guess that is similar to LBP. It isn't much of a game once you get rid of the customization in that too.

The AI can be a reason to swear at the TV at times but they are easy compared to Motorstorm, Wipeout HD or even Ridge Racer.

Don't even get me started on the AI in ridge racer...

I agree though, some of the challenges are very difficult to do and I've found myself loose races by miles because somehow one of the AI has managed to escape from the pack. It's not impossible though you just have to keep at it, I'd advise to play around with the creation options if you become frustrated with the career as they can be pretty fun and relaxing.

I've got some pictures I need to put on here later but I need to find my USB stick first, one is my Renault RS01 inspired tribute car and the other is a Ferrari F10 inspired car I've been working on for most of today (I know there is lots of them but I'm confident that mine is one of the best on there :) )

I haven't been online with this game since last week, so I cannot comment on the state of play there, but I did go away for the weekend and stay with some non-gaming friends. I took MNR with me to get a feel for what other people thought of the game, and I can say that everyone, without fail loved the game! 👍

The look of the game was enough to win a few friends over, and they comments on how 'cool' the graphics looked. Others commented on how the game felt, many saying that it was very easy to play, which I agree with.

Speaking of which, the game is very easy to master, too easy in fact. Within half-an-hour of playing the game for the first time, a couple of my friends were pulling off 70-80,000 point drifts, every race.

Admittedly they were racing on 'unlimited drift', but it was still nice to see. I also managed to pull off a 100,000 point drift, but was miffed to find that I was not awarded the trophy for doing so. :grumpy:

The load times really aren't that bad. As has been mentioned, the content/replayability far overshadows the issue with loading times.

I beg to differ. before I went away this weekend, I made two videos.

The first was from the moment the disc icon was clicked until the start of the first race. It took a staggering fourteen minutes, yes fourteen minutes and eight seconds to be exact. I continued the video too, just to see if I could catch the point were the the other racers dissappear, and they did, true to form. By the third race, I was on my own in an XP series, with no other competition, despite starting the race with 3 other racers.

The second video, was shot immediately after the first, and start with the screen that asks if you would like to join another XP series. From that point to the first race took another eleven odd minutes. That race though, started and finished with all four racers! 👍

So, in approximately one hours worth of time online, I managed to race five races... Not too shabby! :sly:

I have not uploaded the videos, but I have them available if anyone requires verification. 👍

This game is a bit...crap if you take away the creation options. The racing is stupidly, stupidly difficult thanks to completely unfair AI and the challenges are nigh on impossible. Just now I spent ages getting 4000 top speed points and win the race, only to be attacked by a weapon just before the finish line that went through my barrier. I then fired at the guy who had overtaken me and my weapon went through him.

I wouldn't go that far Moglet. I was under no illusion as to what the game would entail, being that I am a lifelong fan of Mario Kart. Whereas in Mario Kart, you have absolutely no defence against weapons, except for the random invulnerability star, MNR give you the option of using a shield.

I will admit though that the shield can feel a little hit and miss at times, because the warning signal doesn't feel consistent. I don't know if that is a programming error, the type of weapon used, or because of the design of the track, but I have trouble getting the timing right.

Sometimes I think the weapon is right on top of me, but my shield still fails me, and others the weapon arrives sooner than the warning suggests.

One thing I have noticed though, is that the level three blue sonic weapon is VERY hard to counter, because of the repeating nature of the attack. I often find myself blocking the first and second wave, only to be hit by the following third wave. Trust me, the screen is not the only thing turning blue when that happens! :sly:

moglet
I then fired at the guy who had overtaken me and my weapon went through him.

Yep, that got me the first time too! I'd like to think that this is in fact a feature rather than a bug. :sly: I have noticed that some weapons fired close to an opposing racer, particularly level 2 'lock' weapons, fail to hit their target, but will hit a target ahead of the guy that you fired at. 👍

Was so close to winning an XP series today when I suddenly was disconnected. Hopefully get a chance to win another at some time.

Anyhow made another 2 mod/kart yesterday. One is a Toyota GT1 Esso sponsored car which I forgot to take a picture of. The other is a Kart/Car from Tron. Still working on tracks. Have a few ideas just haven't had a chance to make one yet.

modnationracers1g.jpg

Was so close to winning an XP series today when I suddenly was disconnected. Hopefully get a chance to win another at some time.

I've been disconnected quite a few times today, i'm hoping they'll sort out some of the connection bugs in the routine server maintenance tomorrow.

Moglet
The racing is stupidly, stupidly difficult thanks to completely unfair AI and the challenges are nigh on impossible. Just now I spent ages getting 4000 top speed points and win the race, only to be attacked by a weapon just before the finish line that went through my barrier. I then fired at the guy who had overtaken me and my weapon went through him.

I know, I can't believe how difficult some of the races and AI are! (especially so early on), I thought it was meant to be a fun racing experience, so far it's made me very angry, mainly because of moments like what you stated.:mad: Though on the plus side I have had a few fun online and offline races.

My favourite thing about this game and the place that has consumed most of my time so far has been at the creation station. I've got tonnes of ideas that will keep me occupied for hours once i've unlocked more stuff.👍
I was pretty annoyed to find my karts from the beta had been erased, so I created my JLOC Lamborghini again. Eventually i'll redo it.

4663537591_619192e919.jpg
4664157998_3d7bb84af3.jpg

4664158288_03d22f6164.jpg
4663537311_8ee691dd38.jpg

Inspiration:

pmc-jloc-lm24.jpg

I even made a driver for it:P.

4663542197_6d6c55b744.jpg

Last edited:
Last night I've had a lot of XP-races, some of them with even more than 7 racers (max was 11). It didn't take more than a few minutes to find other players, and I continued racing when I was asked to join another one. When I joined the next race the timer was allready counting down, so 2 minutes later I was racing again. I lost connection to the server once. I've had about 40 races now, and I only lost connection at the finish about 3 times. The funny thing is that loading online races is much faster than offline in my experience.

Last edited:
I've been disconnected 6 times out of 10 series I've done today. I'd have won at least 3 of the ones I was disconnected from too.

I've been disconnected 6 times out of 10 series I've done today. I'd have won at least 3 of the ones I was disconnected from too.

I have had similar experiences too, though I have been able to join races with more than four players now. 👍

I'm not ready to publish this one quite yet. I figure I'll stew on it for a few days and do some tweaking (needs some more sponsor badges), but that playstation controller took forever to do so I had to show it off early.

There are some serious limits with the editor and this specific body, preventing it from being nearly as good as I want this to turn out in the frontal area. Not my fault, it's the best that can be done with all the mirroring and bleeding going on up there.

Last edited:

I'm not ready to publish this one quite yet. I figure I'll stew on it for a few days and do some tweaking, but that playstation controller took forever to do.

There are some serious limits with the editor and this specific body, preventing it from being nearly as good as I want this to turn out in the frontal area. Not my fault, it's the best that can be done with all the mirroring and bleeding going on up there.

Wow, Impressive, although that wouldn't have been my choice of engine and wheels :/

Woah that's quite impressive. 👍 I finished my All-Inkl Munnich Motorsports Lamborghini Murcielago R-SV today, although it's not quite the same as this image it's pretty similar just with a few tweaks here and there. I'm quite pleased with it, for those that don't know it's based off the FIA GT1 All-Inkl team. Feel free to download it and give some C&C on it, I know a couple bits (text wise) aren't right but the bodies of the cars make it difficult to fit all of the bits you want to fit on the cars.

ModNationRacerscopy.jpg

Sorry for the rubbish image as well, it's the only that seemed to transfer to my USB stick for some reason.

I'm not ready to publish this one quite yet. I figure I'll stew on it for a few days and do some tweaking (needs some more sponsor badges), but that playstation controller took forever to do so I had to show it off early.

Wow. I continue to be astounded at the clever creativity and abilities to push the tools after just a few days in the wild. Half the fun (in fact, more than half given my limited time and ability to get skilled at the racing) is checking out the little miracles being posted.

Good job. 👍

I just got this game in the mail today. So far it is pretty good I'm learning to overlook the load times and I was able to import my mods from the demo and I got the air raid DLC from the beta even though I signed up after the cutoff date.

Thats really good! Please, try to publish it as soon as you can, Il defenitely be downloading this, Rating a 5 either way!

A flaw with the editor is that all the stickers on inner surfaces share decals with the outside. (note the duplication/mirroring on the inside of the frontend in the second pic) Anyway I've slept on the C60, and reworked much of it. Probably publish her later today. anybody know what has to be done to unlock the turbo motor?

Just finished my next revision of Isaac Clarke! It's loosely based on the new Dead Space 2 get up:

A lot of the stuff in here has been really good, but the 3d look on that is just amazing. I don't like making the the mods as much myself. Stickers stretch especially poorly on them, so it takes me much longer.

I have a question can you download tracks onto your hard drive? I wasn't sure about that.

Last edited:
reaperman - Thanks man :) I spend a lot of time on my Isaac Mods, well, those are really the only ones I've done so far! I am really enjoying it. Honestly, it's much easier to make a mod when all you're using is stickers to create your "look" (and with Isaac I can avoid doing a face entirely!). Thanks for the words though :) Hopefully I'll make something neat again instead of just doing Isaac over and over :P

kjb
I have a question can you download tracks onto your hard drive? I wasn't sure about that.

Not sure what you are asking exactly, but everything goes into a single "User Created Content" folder on the XMB. Not sure if you can extract a single item.

kjb
You can download other peoples created content (karts, drivers and tracks) and you can publish your own creations for other people to download.

I queued the demo for this last night. Hopefully I will get a chance to try it out in the near future. Does the demo allow customization?

Back