◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,791 comments
A reminder for some and new information to others. This earlier post describes the track boundaries at Ascari. Please not that these boundaries are quite different from what the game allows you to do and from what we do at other tracks. This is a unique track that isn't in the business of hosting races so they don't have proper course markings.

Ascari Race Resort

ascari_map.gif

The Ascari Race Resort offers an impressive closed circuit where you can enjoy the speed in its purest form, without limits but always with a maximum safety. With 26 corners (13 left hand and 13 right hand corners) and incredible cambers and slopes, the Ascari circuit proud to be the longest track in Spain thanks to its length of 5,425 meters ,with the possibility to divide into three different sections or combinations.

The circuit is built with the highest quality, with a width of 12,2 meters throughout the whole length, the asphalt pavement gives a perfect balance between grip and tire wear as well as being an excellent drainage.

The above was taken from the Ascari Race Resort web page. Being that the track is a private resort and specializes in renting cars to customers or allowing them to drive their own cars on the track, they don't host actual races so the things we are used to seeing in a race track are not always present. The most glaring example would be that there are no proper rumble strips at Ascari. With this in mind, the track boundaries are a little different here. The white line serves as the boundary with the only exceptions coming at the chicanes on the track that have the wide areas of painted concrete. They will be shown in the photos below. The painted mounds at the edge of the track are NOT rumble strips and are NOT part of the track at any place on the track.

Two shots from the first chicane. You may use the painted areas as track but you must not put any part of any tire on the grass.

NKxy0Pv.jpg

RBTZEcS.jpg

Two shots from the second chicane. It's the same as the first. You may use the painted area as track but you must not put a tire on the grass.

bLMD1AG.jpg

JDUYSMD.jpg

If it looks like this then the white line is the boundary. You must have two tires on or inside the white line.

XsGkArN.jpg

A reminder for some and new information to others. This earlier post describes the track boundaries at Ascari. Please not that these boundaries are quite different from what the game allows you to do and from what we do at other tracks. This is a unique track that isn't in the business of hosting races so they don't have proper course markings.

Ascari Race Resort

ascari_map.gif

The Ascari Race Resort offers an impressive closed circuit where you can enjoy the speed in its purest form, without limits but always with a maximum safety. With 26 corners (13 left hand and 13 right hand corners) and incredible cambers and slopes, the Ascari circuit proud to be the longest track in Spain thanks to its length of 5,425 meters ,with the possibility to divide into three different sections or combinations.

The circuit is built with the highest quality, with a width of 12,2 meters throughout the whole length, the asphalt pavement gives a perfect balance between grip and tire wear as well as being an excellent drainage.

The above was taken from the Ascari Race Resort web page. Being that the track is a private resort and specializes in renting cars to customers or allowing them to drive their own cars on the track, they don't host actual races so the things we are used to seeing in a race track are not always present. The most glaring example would be that there are no proper rumble strips at Ascari. With this in mind, the track boundaries are a little different here. The white line serves as the boundary with the only exceptions coming at the chicanes on the track that have the wide areas of painted concrete. They will be shown in the photos below. The painted mounds at the edge of the track are NOT rumble strips and are NOT part of the track at any place on the track.

Two shots from the first chicane. You may use the painted areas as track but you must not put any part of any tire on the grass.

NKxy0Pv.jpg

RBTZEcS.jpg

Two shots from the second chicane. It's the same as the first. You may use the painted area as track but you must not put a tire on the grass.

bLMD1AG.jpg

JDUYSMD.jpg

If it looks like this then the white line is the boundary. You must have two tires on or inside the white line.

XsGkArN.jpg

Tip: watch your practice replays and ask people following , if you see dust bunnies in the two chicanes...you've short cut

Okay, I thought I would take the advice of trying a few different combos and tried looking at what has not been used in awhile and that would try and have the appeal of good racecraft for everyone in all divisions, I must have tried 20 different combo/tracks lol. After some consideration I'm going to go with something different than what I had originally thought of in the first place, but hopefully will appeal to everyone.

Track: Ascari Full Track

Car: Renault Sport Megane R.S. Trophy '11
447PP/274HP after oil change
Welp....:rolleyes:

What if instead of voting for least favorite, we voted for favorite and that is the only one to remain, and then prize a picks a whole new combo, prize b picks a car or track, and prize c picks what is left? That keep prize a strong with some good influence that is somewhat equal for b and c. Also would create lots of new combos
as far as prizes

a: complete replacement
b: freeze or choose new car or track
c: freeze or choose new car or track not chosen by b

Ie:
combos
Car 1 at track A gets most votes for elimination
Car 2 at track B gets 2nd most votes for elimination
Car 3 at track C continues for another week

combo 1A gets eliminated and replaced by Prize a

Prize b can choose to freeze car 2, freeze track B, replace with car 4, replace with track D

Prize c completes the combo by choosing to freeze car 2, freeze track B, replace with car 5, replace with track E

basically the same system but prizes b&c get more options
Both of these ideas would break the league format, which is described at the bottom of this post. In short, the format is to change one combo completely, change one combo halfway, and keep one combo the same. It's a tried and true formula and the idea is one of the reasons I started the league in the first place. Not saying it won't ever change, but it would take a really something pretty significant. For example, if someone presented a compelling reason why changing 50% of the cars/tracks each week is too much or too little. However, changing the league format just to tweak the prizes a bit isn't really in the cards.

The part you highlighted in Bold actually nullify Prize C. It means that prize B freezes the car or the track and then decides what the new component is going to be. That's why I stated it in the way that he has the choice to either bring a new car to the existing track OR he has can choose to take the existing car to a new track.
Yup, that's how we've always done it up until earlier this year. That's when voted to see if we would change Prize C to what it is now. The old Prize C was a gift car in GT5 and the winner had no say in car or track selection. We could always take another vote on the Prize C "freeze" though.

Another option is to give Prize B the Car choice and Prize C the Track choice. Sometimes it is a nice car on a boring track, sometimes its a boring car on a nice track. If Prize B chooses a new car then Prize C is out of luck because the track is automatically frozen to comply with the combo rules. BUT, If Prize B freezes the car then Prize C can choose a new track. At least Prize C will have a choice on average 50% of the time - but we know that Prize B is always in charge of which car will run for the next week.

It also gives more value to Prize B vs Prize C. Currently it is almost equal.
But why would prize B freeze the track and give up their right to choose the track? If they wanted to freeze the car, all they would have to do is just pick a new track and the car would automatically be frozen. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your idea.

Darn, I'm not sure if it is just me. This track is very technical and difficult and I struggle so much with the seasonal TT on this one. It is time to practice more on it now. I see there is potential being fun sliding around this one :D

I have friends driving Lotus on Willow Springs all the times too in real life. I drove around this track on Lexus IS350 too. Like this like this :)

I would love to race with you guys, consider this my request :)

@ConnorWolf

Here's your official S.N.A.I.L. Welcome Post!

Thanks for your interest!
Here's what you need to know (and do) in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information by 23:59 EST on Saturday night if you want to race this Sunday.

3. @JLBowler PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. You will be added to the drivers list.

4. Send a PSN friend request to the Race Director or Primary Host from your assigned SNAIL Division. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_(x) based off your Division placement from JLBowler. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.
If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.
Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Both of these ideas would break the league format, which is described at the bottom of this post. In short, the format is to change one combo completely, change one combo halfway, and keep one combo the same. It's a tried and true formula and the idea is one of the reasons I started the league in the first place. Not saying it won't ever change, but it would take a really something pretty significant. For example, if someone presented a compelling reason why changing 50% of the cars/tracks each week is too much or too little. However, changing the league format just to tweak the prizes a bit isn't really in the cards.

Yup, that's how we've always done it up until earlier this year. That's when voted to see if we would change Prize C to what it is now. The old Prize C was a gift car in GT5 and the winner had no say in car or track selection. We could always take another vote on the Prize C "freeze" though.

But why would prize B freeze the track and give up their right to choose the track? If they wanted to freeze the car, all they would have to do is just pick a new track and the car would automatically be frozen. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding your idea.

I believe the original format is excellent and it seems to me that the only complication is what to do for the Prize C winner.

The original gift car was a good solution because it didn't interfere with the car and track selections for the Prize A and B winners. While I could understand the rationale behind the Prize C winner being involved in the process of selecting a new car or track in conjunction with the Prize B winner, it really is only adding a layer of complication and diminishing the worth of winning Prize B.

I'm not sure how people would feel about it but I would suggest the simplest solution is to scrap Prize C altogether and leave the original format intact by leaving the combo selections to the Prize A and B winners solely.

ATTENTION TO ALL SNAILS
After a 2 month hiatus of situations with my job and high school. I would like to announce that I will be making a return and that I will be ready to race sundays again. I hope to see all of you guys out on the track VERY soon.

Tyler

Last edited:
The post here is the earliest version of SNAIL I can remember. And just to annoy @zer05ive, I still have not raced a single Sunday night. :sly:
Dang.. Reading that thread brings back memories.. Credit goes to @diabolicwyvern for suggesting a new thread. If I had know what I was in for, I might have thought twice about doing it.. :lol:

It would appear the duration of that thread was the period of labor that ended with the birth of SNAIL. I wasn't aware it existed until after it was raised from infancy some. I'm not sure all its Mothers, Fathers, Brothers & Sisters, Uncles and Aunts, Nieces & Nephews, Cousins and proverbial Black Sheeps, (there have been well over 500 in all, might be over 700, since that not so windy night in December of 2011), have raised it to adult hood yet, but it appears to be able to stand on it's own "foot" now, at least. When, or if, it becomes self aware, we may all have cause for concern.

:D :crazy::lol:

Yes, I may be the only one who finds my jokes funny. Deal with it.
Self aware? You mean like a cyborg? :dopey:

For the pictures, #3 for both looks the best. They best show the characteristics of the tracks.

Sorry for not joining before in practicing. I got caught up making a playlist for when I'm at work after hours working a truck shift.

A good room for practicing and watching (which is what I do a lot)
1472-6681-3415-7081-4518. Come on in - the water,a fine.

Great practice in a full room tonight! I think it's safe to predict very close racing for the Renault. We were bunched up in all the practice races

Once The Willow and The Elize become friends it's going to be a great combo. They just need to learn to work together...

Thanks for the banners! The August 10th lineup has been posted!

For the pictures, #3 for both looks the best. They best show the characteristics of the tracks.
Great minds think alike lol (check the time stamp of the last edit ;))

I still have more editing to do though. The hyperlinks on the new banners need to be updated. I'll get to that before I go to bed.

I like both #1 pictures
Actually I think I'm liking the #3 and #1 combo
The first picture of Round 2 was actually my least favorite of the three. I think it had a lot to do with the green wall in the background. Like we're racing at Fenway Park or something. :P

Last edited:
Back