1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
510 had Coke sponsorship IRL. Odd that it's been left off the TLV version, as they have featured the brand many times in the past.

IMG_1998.JPG

Also having trouble figuring out where the actual car fit into the Safari, as it's not one of the successful entrants and may even have been a chase car. The one in the picture is a tribute, otherwise known as a fake.

Just found some more pics of the TLV 787B by searching on Google:

18444275_1884127755133257_7874491347992838144_n.jpg

18444131_689058027885624_2548240719902932992_n.jpg

I believe these pics are from Instagram, so I can't verify if they are true. However, judging from the date at which they are posted, it suggests that they are valid.

Another edit: I believe all of the pics can be found here.

I SO WANT THAT. :drool::drool::drool:

Well, hello guys. I hope ya'll have been well!

Nothing too exciting. Made a trip to Kit Kringle back in February 18, but haven't bothered post it until now. Sadly I think this may be one of, if not my last trip there for Hot Wheels. I noticed the selection they had was small, consisting of only like 20-25 vehicles. I was later told that collectors were not coming as much, so they are putting them on clearance. Don't think they are getting anymore shipments either. I have been buying from there for over 10 years now and this does sadden me.

IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2049.JPG
Not much I have to say here. Been years since I got another Pontiac Rageous. Always wanted this particular Shredster, now I finally have it. My brother has this Sho Stopper, but I don't, so I finally got one. They had another one there and looking back now, I wish I had gotten it for customizing. Had a blast customizing my Pontiac Salsa, so I got another for that purpose.

If I do go back to Kit Kringle one last time, I am tempted to go full kamikaze and just buy what's left of their stock seeing as they will most likely not be getting anymore. Live life with no regrets guys!

Last edited:
510 had Coke sponsorship IRL. Odd that it's been left off the TLV version, as they have featured the brand many times in the past.

View attachment 646740

Also having trouble figuring out where the actual car fit into the Safari, as it's not one of the successful entrants and may even have been a chase car. The one in the picture is a tribute, otherwise known as a fake.

I was on the tail end of lunch before & missed this: It's based on a movie. Never heard of the title, but I caught the actor's name on the display name tag(I'm named after this actor's brother). I guess this means it's like hot wheels' Retro Entertainment. "栄光への5000キロ" I kinda wanna see this movie now. :D Hino Ranger looks interesting, too!
Another wallet-buster incoming:
I hope they aren't thinking about releasing this with the LV-N90a/white Tractor Head!(doubt it)

I'm guessing this thing woud be at $200..... Except, Tomytec's been pricing every larger releases like $20~$40 higher than my estimates lately. If the trend continues to hold, we are looking at a $240~$250 1/64 release. :nervous:

I was on the tail end of lunch before & missed this: It's based on a movie. Never heard of the title, but I caught the actor's name on the display name tag(I'm named after this actor's brother). I guess this means it's like hot wheels' Retro Entertainment. "栄光への5000キロ" I kinda wanna see this movie now. :D

I think it's possibly more complicated than that though. It seems as if the car actually ran the 1969 Safari and the movie was filmed around it, a la Steve McQueen and "LeMans" ... more research is required.
The movie gets a mention on the Nissan page dedicated to the winning 510 from 1970:

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/datsun_bluebird_1600sss.html

EDIT:
Confirmation that the movie car ran the actual rally:

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/jnc-theater-5000km-to-glory/

Last edited:
@a6m5 I'm unsure if I should even cry about it anymore.
It doesn't even cross my mind anymore. Bugzees, right? :crazy:
Confirmation that the movie car ran the actual rally:
I skipped it earlier, but I saw Japanese language page of this film on Wikipedia? I have no idea how reliable the information is, but it says the due to the late entry, car started the race out from very last, but finished fifth overall in the 1969 Safari Rally. Next year, same car, relatively unchanged, won the Championship. For me, even bigger news was your link mentioning Mifune Toshiro. One of my all-time favorite actor being in that film. I really wanna see it now. :embarrassed::tup:

I skipped it earlier, but I saw Japanese language page of this film on Wikipedia? I have no idea how reliable the information is, but it says the due to the late entry, car started the race out from very last, but finished fifth overall in the 1969 Safari Rally. Next year, same car, relatively unchanged, won the Championship. For me, even bigger news was your link mentioning Mifune Toshiro. One of my all-time favorite actor being in that film. I really wanna see it now. :embarrassed::tup:

The movie car retired according to the results link in the JNC article. Fifth place went to the eventual winners the following year.
There were tons of identical 510s entered in both years. Standard practice back then-strength in numbers to counter the attrition.

The movie car retired according to the results link in the JNC article. Fifth place went to the eventual winners the following year.
There were tons of identical 510s entered in both years. Standard practice back then-strength in numbers to counter the attrition.
Maybe Wikipedia is full of it then, I have no idea. It's making the same claim about the fifth place car winning next year, except the Wiki writer wrote that was the actual car in the film. :crazy:

Edit: My bad, @GroupB Wikipedia was talking about the image featured in the wiki page being the actual car that won the Championship in 1970, not the car in the film. Sorry. :crazy:

Last edited:
Maybe Wikipedia is full of it then, I have no idea. It's making the same claim about the fifth place car winning next year, except the Wiki writer wrote that was the actual car in the film. :crazy:

The plot thickens. These stills from a Ford promotional film of the 1969 Safari clearly show the #90 car with the names of the fifth place crew (and 1970 winners).

IMG_2010.PNG
IMG_2011.PNG

Maybe the organizers allowed the movie car to also run #90 since it was technically a fictional entry? Anything was possible in those days if enough cash changed hands.

See my edit, but yeah, this actually crossed my mind earlier. :lol:👍

The car that won in 1970 carried #4, but so far it appears there were two cars running #90 in 1969. I found a photo of the movie car entry with the fictional driver name on the side.

IMG_2012.JPG

And just to add to the confusion, the TLV car uses the actor's name. As far as I can tell, no such car ever ran.

@a6m5 shinji-san are you ordering a TLV 787?
I was on amiami, like, two seconds after I saw your post(thank you!). @Spacegoat gave me a heads up too, but I somehow missed it. :dunce:

I already blogged it, but Tomytec page mentioned how this is the first one that they are doing, and there were three of these cars. I took it as TLV is releasing all three.

Omg when can we preorder?

Forgot to ask but what shipping option did you go with? I normally stick with air small packet, it's between like $12- $15, depending on the exchange rate and gets here reasonably quickly.

Sometimes. :lol:
(I'm named after this actor's brother)

You mean that there's another Shinji running around out there? :scared: :P
@Spacegoat gave me a heads up too, but I somehow missed it. :dunce:
Deadpool.png

Last time I try to help you out! J/k :lol:

Hi guys, just picked up an old Matchbox Miura, no. 33, from a charity shop and its condition is "played with" to say the least, so as I would like to restore it (though not to the extent of dismantling) I'm looking for advice on the best paint to use for the body and possibly the chrome rims (is there a chrome-effect paint or coating available?) Also advice on cleaning up the windows, although they aren't too scufffed.

It's similar to this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-L...009494?hash=item4b167f9e16:g:TJoAAOSw241YXyp4
(whilst that's close to the original colour, I hope to do a better job of painting it than that!)

Thanks in advance!

Sorry forthe late reply, saw this in my phone a few days ago and went "lomg reply, I'll wait and type it on the laptop", then proceeded to absolutely forget about it. I ended up typing it on the phone lol.
Anyway, there is no good way to restore a car without tearing it appart, so head over to the customizing thread's first post in order to get some tips on how to open a car, how to strip it, etc.
As for the paint, I'd ask members that are in the same part of the world as you about it. Windows can be brought back to life with headlamp polishing compound.
Really, go check out the customizing thread and whatever questions you might have, post them over there, several experienced members in this whole diecast customizing thing will be glad to help bring that Lesney back.

Link: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/hot-wheels-and-matchbox-customizing-thread.245745/

VXR
I've ordered this nostalgia hit from a guy on a Facebook group. £12 posted. Apart from the CX, I owned all of these as a kid.

View attachment 646674

I don't know why, but the Monday morning before school when my nan bought me the Safrane has always stayed fresh in my memory, so that's super cool. She's 98 this year, btw, I will definitely be showing her this one and reminding her lol.

Yeeees! Some of those are quite hard to come by now, at least over here. Cool granny story too 👍

Sorry forthe late reply, saw this in my phone a few days ago and went "lomg reply, I'll wait and type it on the laptop", then proceeded to absolutely forget about it. I ended up typing it on the phone lol.
Anyway, there is no good way to restore a car without tearing it appart, so head over to the customizing thread's first post in order to get some tips on how to open a car, how to strip it, etc.
As for the paint, I'd ask members that are in the same part of the world as you about it. Windows can be brought back to life with headlamp polishing compound.
Really, go check out the customizing thread and whatever questions you might have, post them over there, several experienced members in this whole diecast customizing thing will be glad to help bring that Lesney back.

Link: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/hot-wheels-and-matchbox-customizing-thread.245745/

Thanks man, wasn't aware of that other thread, handy!

I think it's the case quantity.
I may sound ignorant here, but what's 'case quantity'?
I SO WANT THAT. :drool::drool::drool:
I was thinking the same before the release, but now that I've seen the price tag, I'm having second thoughts. It's a sure buy for me if it's priced at 25 to 39 USD, but a retail price of ~70 USD? That's just too much for me. Even with Amiami's discount, it's still going to cost me 54 USD, excluding shipping. Just to make my point, 5 of these TLV 787Bs will be more than enough to buy a 1/18 version with equal levels of detail and quality. Besides, I do not really like the 787B that much. So yeah, I'm still on the fence. :indiff:

I may sound ignorant here, but what's 'case quantity'?

I was thinking the same before the release, but now that I've seen the price tag, I'm having second thoughts. It's a sure buy for me if it's priced at 25 to 39 USD, but a retail price of ~70 USD? That's just too much for me. Even with Amiami's discount, it's still going to cost me 54 USD, excluding shipping. Just to make my point, 5 of these TLV 787Bs will be more than enough to buy a 1/18 version with equal levels of detail and quality. Besides, I do not really like the 787B that much. So yeah, I'm still on the fence. :indiff:

Case quantity is how many pieces there are in a box. Shops get them in boxes.

And that price, that may actually turn me off. Whenever I shop in Japan, 8000 Yen is 1:43 money. I'm having as much reservations as you are because of it.

Back