1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
For those of you who ordered the TLV Ferraris (or at least the Dino) online, I just received an email requesting payment from Amiami today, so check your inboxes. And I have paid for it already, so mine should arrive pretty soon.

It took them surprisingly long to have the stock ready this time though. I thought they were going to postpone the release date, considering that almost the whole March has passed by without any news regarding the Dinoes. Nothing can beat the 1/64 Ebbro NSX NC1 in terms of delays though. The online stores started accepting preorders in late September last year, and they still don't have a release date yet!

I ordered through Japanbooster and they sent a notice a while back that Tomytec had delayed the Ferraris until the end of the month, with no reason given. The other March releases were unaffected and released on time.

As far as TLV re-releases, it’s correct that there is no such thing. They do one production run for the release month and that’s it, hence the healthy secondary market for popular issues. Supposedly that’s the reason for the “Limited” part of the TLV name.

Latest TLV arrival. This one ended up costing me as much as a very nice phone, but the opportunity to own one may never come up again, so no regrets.

Back in 2012, Tomytec held a sweepstakes to commemorate 400 different varieties of TLV as well as 3 million total production.
Up for grabs were 50 Nissan Cedrics with specially-plated finishes—25 in gold and 25 in silver. Each car also came with a black TLV keychain. If you missed out on a car, 50 brown keychains were available as consolation prizes.
A5A72105-46C9-4AC4-AB41-AEC3BCDCBFD9.jpeg

This is one of the silver ones, although it is actually closer to black in person.

31BA80FE-5041-442E-BA74-469C271B40D7.jpeg

CF8D657C-C29A-479E-9A07-2925255847F5.jpeg

25B073C0-F7F7-47FA-A278-AC4E1070244C.jpeg

D2FB15CB-ACF7-4718-A951-74B84390A66C.jpeg

7A27C686-44FE-403F-824C-3FF4739ABDD9.jpeg

165F74A2-333D-45F6-BBCE-7EB5D746FF1E.jpeg

(edited with better pictures)

Last edited:
I ordered through Japanbooster and they sent a notice a while back that Tomytec had delayed the Ferraris until the end of the month, with no reason given. The other March releases were unaffected and released on time.

As far as TLV re-releases, it’s correct that there is no such thing. They do one production run for the release month and that’s it, hence the healthy secondary market for popular issues. Supposedly that’s the reason for the “Limited” part of the TLV name.
As good quality as the F40. But it’s clear where they put the effect.

Ingredients bought :D

View attachment 810750
I'm guessing the side mirrors on the Dino needs to be applied by ourselves?

Hi guys. So I've recently got the Apple RWB Porsche by Tarmac Works, and I am really confused about what is the real counterpart of this car. From what I could find, the real car is actually 964, not 930, and it is much wider than the Tarmac version. The front 3/4 view makes it especially clear. Also the exhaust and side mirrors are different.

Isn't there supposed to be only one RWB Porsche with a given livery? Does it mean that Tarmac didn't actually reproduce the real car, but simply used slightly modified casting of their other RWBs and put the Apple livery on it?

P.S.: For what it's worth, I much prefer the look of the Tarmac car. The real car looks really overdone to me.

I spend so little on hot wheels & minicars now you'll be proud of me. Guns, ammo & accessories on the other hand.... 💡:(

And books too, amirite.

The yellow Hino truck as well? Flipping hell. :lol: Really looking forward to these pics. 👍

And while I'm thinking about it. Isn't there's supposed to be a Choro-Q Zero version of the F40? Would you or your trusted shop owner have any idea on when that might be happening?

For those of you who ordered the TLV Ferraris (or at least the Dino) online, I just received an email requesting payment from Amiami today, so check your inboxes. And I have paid for it already, so mine should arrive pretty soon.
I see on order status it's ready, but it's waiting for couple other unrelated releases in my case. :crazy:
This is one of the silver ones, although it is actually closer to black in person.
It looks like black chrome to me(though it clearly says "silver"). I hope to get the post out by Monday. Again, congratulations on such a SUPER limited non-release. This should be the fourth chrome? :boggled:👍
I forgot to mention last time, but on the gray background Jason brought up. For me, even after my Shell station background got old, I kept it unchanged as it served as the watermark, trademark, or whatever you wanna call it for my blog & photos. Just my 2 cents. 👍
And books too, amirite.
Thank you, and MLB memorabilia. I knew I forgot something. :rolleyes::lol:

I'm guessing the side mirrors on the Dino needs to be applied by ourselves?

Yes

C1A978E3-DEC8-48CB-B109-7D70DBF53006.jpeg
1799141C-ECFD-425B-97A4-15F663BB8AF4.jpeg

Did you guys know the box is thick cardboard, about 2.5mm thick. Entire package feels substantial.

The yellow Hino truck as well? Flipping hell. :lol: Really looking forward to these pics. 👍

And while I'm thinking about it. Isn't there's supposed to be a Choro-Q Zero version of the F40? Would you or your trusted shop owner have any idea on when that might be happening?

Bought the yellow Hino a few weeks after release. Don’t follow Choro-q but I can ask.

For me, even after my Shell station background got old, I kept it unchanged as it served as the watermark, trademark, or whatever you wanna call it for my blog & photos. Just my 2 cents

The hardest part is rearranging my setup to look like the original.

Last edited:
Thank you, and MLB memorabilia. I knew I forgot something. :rolleyes::lol:

Always happy to help! :P
Don’t follow Choro-q but I can ask.

👍

I only really pay attention to Choro-Q's when there's something interesting coming out. Something a bit different for the collection. Took ages to track down an image (Thought I was going crazy for while there. :lol:). Stolen from Instagram.

42614289_483783842030894_4286477608949675446_n.jpg

I only really pay attention to Choro-Q's when there's something interesting coming out. Something a bit different for the collection. Took ages to track down an image (Thought I was going crazy for while there. :lol:).

Good find. I had a look at the Facebook page where I order my Tomicas and they don’t have anything for preorder. Could be a while before they get released then.

Again, congratulations on such a SUPER limited non-release. This should be the fourth chrome? :boggled:👍

Yes, I had the chance to own the complete set from 2009. I won all 3 trucks unopposed, but when the Gloria came up for auction last, there was another bidder (that car is as popular as the EK9 in Japan).
So I bailed out because I had just bought a 4k TV (this is a gaming site first and foremost) and now I regret it because another one is unlikely to ever be so easy to get, especially as we get farther and farther away from the original contest date.

3CF5BAD5-C985-46E5-870F-1907977CBC32.jpeg

Crap like this was another nail in the coffin for me. You charge how much for these toy cars & you want me to help you assemble them, too? :dunce:
Took ages to track down an image (Thought I was going crazy for while there. :lol:).
I think I'd rather have these clay models. They always look better than the actual casting amirite.
So I bailed out because I had just bought a 4k TV (this is a gaming site first and foremost)
:lol:👍

I've been out of gaming for while & even longer out of the racing games. What sucks is TV set pricing generally drops, while collectibles go the other way. I hope you find another one in the near future. Set is so near completion. 👍

P.S. Did you already order the new book?

Oh no. :lol: I can't wait to see the pics & your take on them. :D

I’ve always imagined what a good job TLV would do on American subjects—maybe a Corvette C2 or a Boss 302 Mustang or a Hemi Road Runner. Well, in the new book, the first potential American subject is pictured, and here it is:

AF13A692-01A9-4740-883A-4B0F6573DAE1.jpeg

WHYYYYYYY???

I’ve always imagined what a good job TLV would do on American subjects—maybe a Corvette C2 or a Boss 302 Mustang or a Hemi Road Runner. Well, in the new book, the first potential American subject is pictured, and here it is:

You gotta be kidding me. Out of ALL THE POTENTIAL CANDIDATES they choose a goddamn MUSTANG II. Yuck.

Good find. I had a look at the Facebook page where I order my Tomicas and they don’t have anything for preorder. Could be a while before they get released then.

Yeah, there's nothing on AmiAmi. It's funny because you can see the prototype for the TLV F40 in the background. How much longer must we wait? :lol:
I think I'd rather have these clay models. They always look better than the actual casting amirite.

Grey F40. Yes, I'm with you.
af13a692-01a9-4740-883a-4b0f6573dae1-jpeg.811339

WHYYYYYYY???

Very odd choice to say the least but you know what, I would buy one. :lol:

You know, that's EXACTLY what I would've expected from those weirdos(I mean in a good way lol). They are "different" bunch. Also, when I was a kid, I had this favorite "car" picture book for kids. Japanese, of course. Mustang II was representing the "sports car" page. I was quite surprised by the actual standing of this car in the United States once I started learning about cars over here. It was such a prominent figure in my favorite car book. :lol:

I sure hope TLV does 1986 Taurus/Sable next. Especially the wagons. Maybe 1991 Caprice. :embarrassed:
Grey F40. Yes, I'm with you.
I don't want to hear about your wrong-side driving ways!(and upside down)
Very odd choice to say the least but you know what, I would buy one. :lol:
Some of us like weird don't we Jarrod. :lol:

Edit:

Has to be customs, right? I've seen many similar customs on Twitter....

I sure hope TLV does 1986 Taurus/Sable next. Especially the wagons. Maybe 1991 Caprice. :embarrassed:

Never really thought the prospect of TLV doing some American stuff before. Some exciting possibilities.

Also, the only correct answer is Roadmaster Wagon....
I don't want to hear about your wrong-side driving ways!(and upside down)

If you say so.
Some of us like weird don't we Jarrod. :lol:

What's weird to some isn't weird to others. It's a subjective thing, amirite. :P :lol:

Never really thought the prospect of TLV doing some American stuff before. Some exciting possibilities.

Also, the only correct answer is Roadmaster Wagon....
We are probably on the right track. 💡 Unfortunately for lot of people...
If you say so.
Over 50% of the world amirite. :sly:
What's weird to some isn't weird to others. It's a subjective thing, amirite. :P :lol:
Not on these cars. Normal would be the typical Corvettes, Mustangs, muscle cars, maybe Ford GT or something, but what's the fun in that. :P

I think TLV’s choice of cars is mainly dictated by which 1:1 examples they can gather up to use for modeling purposes, which means any American examples will be whatever random cars were imported at the time they were new.
This also introduces weird regional compliance issues into the mix, which will get immortalized in 1/64. If you look at the picture of the Mustang II, it has awkward auxiliary turn signals hanging below the ends of the front bumper, presumably because the standard turn signals in the grille are too far inboard to satisfy Japanese traffic laws.

I think TLV’s choice of cars is mainly dictated by which 1:1 examples they can gather up to use for modeling purposes, which means any American examples will be whatever random cars were imported at the time they were new.
This also introduces weird regional compliance issues into the mix, which will get immortalized in 1/64. If you look at the picture of the Mustang II, it has awkward auxiliary turn signals hanging below the ends of the front bumper, presumably because the standard turn signals in the grille are too far inboard to satisfy Japanese traffic laws.
Excellent point, makes perfect sense. Their next American car might be this:

2E5D2F2A-2817-43B8-8A31-0C68274D14E5.jpeg

:lol:

It’s missing certain big decal.....

A6D5C07F-2365-4A87-A0AB-456A438E7E32.jpeg

I’m mildly shocked Mattel’s going there. :D

Here are the other American cars shown in the new TLV book. The Mark IV isn’t a terrible choice, and that’s no ordinary 1975 Cadillac below it, but rather a Fleetwood 75 Brougham, which was the most opulent and exclusive Caddy short of a limo. Must have cost a fortune in Japan. The text mentions how the 4-door pillared hardtop body style had a great influence on contemporary JDM luxury cars. Indeed, Japan stuck with that body style long after America abandoned it.
As an aside, the “Yanase” sign behind the Fleetwood signifies that the car is fresh off the boat. Yanase was (is?) the official GM importer for the Japanese market.

0766392B-09D1-4DA6-AB98-CC1812361F33.jpeg

Here are the other American cars shown in the new TLV book. The Mark IV isn’t a terrible choice, and that’s no ordinary 1975 Cadillac below it, but rather a Fleetwood 75 Brougham, which was the most opulent and exclusive Caddy short of a limo. Must have cost a fortune in Japan. The text mentions how the 4-door pillared hardtop body style had a great influence on contemporary JDM luxury cars. Indeed, Japan stuck with that body style long after America abandoned it.
As an aside, the “Yanase” sign behind the Fleetwood signifies that the car is fresh off the boat. Yanase was (is?) the official GM importer for the Japanese market.

View attachment 811479
Yes. I would definitely get those Yank Tanks, purely for the purpose of comparison with my Bellet GTR:lol:

Back