1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,425 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
FB_IMG_1678683238571.jpg

So got this Chevy Suburban in the mail today. Upon learning about its existence of it recently, I wanted to get one in less than desirable shape to customize and found this for a good price. :)
IMG_1513.JPEG

The paint is chipped and the chrome has faded, but that doesn't matter because it's all going to be removed anyway. Unfortunately, the front axle is bent some and I wish it wasn't because I like the wheels it has, so I'll have to do something about that sometime. 😕 I must say I really like this casting and wish we had more of these nowadays, tempted to get more.

Sold a large chunk of my carded collection over the weekend. I've just lost interest in the hobby with how sparse the UK supply chain is and the prevalence of resellers scalping popular models for profit.

It's sucked the fun out of the hunt.

VXR
Sold a large chunk of my carded collection over the weekend. I've just lost interest in the hobby with how sparse the UK supply chain is and the prevalence of resellers scalping popular models for profit.

Yep. I've not sold any of mine yet but I've stopped bothering buying them for the same reason. I'll have a quick look if I happen to be somewhere selling them, particularly somewhere that does the premium models, but otherwise... nah.

Ended up moving onto Lego Speed Champions as a) there's so many of each set scalping is nonexistent and b) there's so few sets compared to Hot Wheels, and even fewer I actually want given some of them don't look that good, that they're much easier to collect.

Saves some money, too.

Last edited:
It's been a while
IMG_9732 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9733 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9734 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9736 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9739 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9740 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9741 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9743 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9746 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9747 by Devin Macdonald, on Flickr

Gotta love the Moroder.
Damn that STO looks amazing but I just get anxious everytime I buy new Mini GTs.

Super Touring Honda Accord incoming too by the looks of it! only waited like 20 years for a 1/64 scale super tourer to play BTCC with!!

Glad they're finally doing the Altezza properly. Still annoyed that they're doing chase versions as it will only make it near impossible to find on pegs.... It's gotten to the point where I just order the sets online for Car Culture if I like it enough. Hardly seems worth the trouble to go out and find the pegs emptied and the local flea market full of recently released items for double retail.
OhioConv01Apr230061.jpeg

Never once found the Alfa Romeo 155 in the Boulevard set. So hoping it'll be easier to find the Team Transport version.
OhioConv01Apr230063.jpeg

Would like to find the Corrado for a friend who had (a real) one.
OhioConv01Apr230057.jpeg

Picked up my parcel the day before yesterday, and one of them is pretty bad:

E2A244ED-B517-4297-A238-B61E4730ED4F.jpeg

Yeah, the paintwork is pretty bad:

B346FFBA-1877-428A-A237-E64BAD120DE4.jpeg

Those black spots cannot be scratched away with my nails. And what is this patch around the side intake:

D8588536-BCDF-413C-A763-6F0C0963CBBF.jpeg

Pretty bad. The printed tampo on the taillights is pretty bad too:

AF26A13A-D955-4F57-B9FE-138752E6F402.jpeg

Not all is bad though; the other 2 (which are Mini GTs) are decent. Cherry Red 911 Targa’s colour is a nice surprise:

15A0FBBF-0ED2-4CBE-838C-5B777DD22702.jpeg

But yeah, the BBR MC20 is pretty bad.

That's BBR? The same BBR that charges a lot of money for the bigger cars?! :lol: I have one BBR of a bigger scale, and they way they handled the plastic to represent headlamps was quite amateur for the amount of money they expected for it.

VXR

Preaching to the choir. The influx of people expecting minimum 300% ROI on day 1 of purchase is ridiculous, and it's even more so because people are willing to pay for it. I think COVID, Gamestop stocks and skyrocketing housing prices caused a lot of people to find as many outlets to make extra dollars, even if it means getting into the reselling thing (without going the wholesale route).

On another subject, I've moved out of collecting diecasts and into board games. There is one called Heat: Pedal to the Metal, and after learning that people have used other miniature cars to replace the original game pieces. Here's what the original game pieces look like:

heat-cars-1674585980019.jpg

heat-corner-1674585980019.jpg

I don't have a physical copy so I'm unsure of the size. However, I'm 99% positive the average Hot Wheels is way too big to fit on one game space on the board.

I've considered DyDo as I know they make several old racer cars that match the era of the cars seen above, but those are also too big.

Do you guys know of any other brands, outside of Micro Machines that make even smaller cars?

Last edited:
I have vague memory of something in the 89-91 period that were smaller than micro machines. I'm pretty sure they were ONLY available at KB toys in the US, and feel like they were Hasbro or Maitsio.
also there were a limited edition hotwheels in 96-97? as the sweet 16 replicas that came in a hard plastic 60's era card with an openable back, they were smaller than micro machines.
Racing chamipions also had some micromachine sized cars.

related:
I had Thunder Road, and Daytona 500, and some other one I don't remember much about, but all 3 of them were dead on micromachine sized... I used my micromachines on the Daytona 500 99% of the time

That's BBR? The same BBR that charges a lot of money for the bigger cars?! :lol: I have one BBR of a bigger scale, and they way they handled the plastic to represent headlamps was quite amateur for the amount of money they expected for it.
Yep that’s BBR. I think they’re trying to cash in on the 1/64 scale craze with the MC20 and Alfa Giulia. They may have done a good job with the interior, but the effort there really pales in comparison to the paintwork. I mean, there are some blue sparkles when light gets reflected off the paintwork, which makes it look kinda like a pearl finish, but that pretty much is all that’s good about the finish. I was expecting it to have a nice gloss shine, but even if it’s not supposed to be glossy, it’s still too uneven to be a nice satin finish.

I’d still want a 1/18 F12 tdf from them, partially because Ferrari, and partially because I wanna see how it stacks up against the best model I’ve got in my lineup (a Frontiart) in terms of texture & finish, but if they wanna establish themselves in the 1/64 field, they better improve on their QC.

——

Anyhow, here’s some good ole Kyosho goodness, albeit slightly modified:

image.jpg

I did not expect to find these yesterday
IMG_9990 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_0003 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9992 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9993 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9994 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9995 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9996 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9997 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9998 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_9999 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_0001 by Devin Macdonald, on FlickrIMG_0002 by Devin Macdonald, on Flickr

It's been a fairly slow drip feed of restocking at the local stores. Went on a maybe...5 hour round trip drive around the state to find these. Finally found my first HW premium chase! Found part of the release with the Autoworld 3000GT and Supra, but no sign of the Caravan...
353790589_10231510779491999_6575310222790071134_n.jpg

Latest Posts

Back