1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,422 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
Last hauls of the year
C750C1BA-967A-4534-8EDD-E242F684177B.jpeg

So I’ve recently imported a bunch of Tomica Premium models from Japan because I think they look quite good for their price, and they generally reflect my taste in cars. However, is quality control on these not so great, or am I just unlucky? So far I’ve unboxed four cars and I’m noticing quality issues on three of them:

Toyota Celica XX (grey):
Slight but noticeable paint rash on roof and small spot of missing paint on the rear.

Honda Civic Type R (black):
Small paint bubble on the engine bay, but rather noticable under certain light conditions.

Honda Integra Type R (yellow):
Passenger side door doesn’t align with rest of body when closed. Yellow paint spill onto the interior’s black dashboard and another small spot of missing paint on the front bumper.

Honda NSX Type R (red):
Appears flawless, fortunately.

I’m kinda afraid to unbox more, but I suppose this is what to expect?

So I’ve recently imported a bunch of Tomica Premium models from Japan because I think they look quite good for their price, and they generally reflect my taste in cars. However, is quality control on these not so great, or am I just unlucky? So far I’ve unboxed four cars and I’m noticing quality issues on three of them:

Toyota Celica XX (grey):
Slight but noticeable paint rash on roof and small spot of missing paint on the rear.

Small paint bubble on the engine bay, but rather noticable under certain light conditions.

Passenger side door doesn’t align with rest of body when closed. Yellow paint spill onto the interior’s black dashboard and another small spot of missing paint on the front bumper.

Honda NSX Type R (red):

Yeah, I noticed this on other brands too nowadays.

Toyota Celica XX (grey):

Honda NSX Type R (red):

Yup, I noticed this as well, even on those expensive MiniGT, Tarmac, and Inno 64. Worse, I had a melted tyres on my MiniGT Honda Civic Type R. Unable to return it as I opened it like nearly 2 months later to realise the defect.

Yup, I noticed this as well, even on those expensive MiniGT, Tarmac, and Inno 64. Worse, I had a melted tyres on my MiniGT Honda Civic Type R. Unable to return it as I opened it like nearly 2 months later to realise the defect.
It’s also been a while since I bought my batch, but during Christmas I finally decided to have a look inside.

I wouldn’t have returned them anyway, because overall the models still appear nice. I’m only slightly surprised they aren’t finished with greater care.

Toyota Celica XX (grey):

Honda NSX Type R (red):

Wow you were quite unlucky.

I don't usually buy Greenlight but this thing looks proper compared to other atrocities they produced so I had to get one.
IMG_20230111_174507.jpg

Of course it's not Greenlight without at least one quality issues. There's a spot where the paint looks like it's been scratched.
IMG_20230111_174618.jpg

Got these today! A Sting Rod and an ex-Corgi Chevrolet Corvette for customizing.
IMG_1393.JPEG

Going to feel bad for taking that Sting Rod apart because it looks great, but I can always buy another one, besides I wanted one to customize anyway. Always been a fan of the ex-Corgis and I really like this particular Corvette. I have an idea in mind for this one, however, upon taking it out of the package, I realized something was wrong...
IMG_1394.JPEG

IMG_1395.JPEG

Although this thing was unopened when I got it, the hinges on the hood broke as soon as I tried to open it, and wasn't even pulling that hard. Not only that but theirs a blob of metal on the side where it apparently wasn't done right and I think it has a little bit of zinc pest on the hood too.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that when Mattel bought Corgi and used their castings, the molds were not in the best shape. So they pressed what they could until they were no longer usable and I wonder if that has something to do with this. Could be wrong, but that's my theory. Good thing I was planning to customize it anyway, however, I wonder what I will do about that hood given what's happened to it. 😕

Well, got some more today! :D

Corgi Commando V100. Been tempted to get one of these to customize for a while now and finally decided to get one recently. Going to feel bad about taking this one apart because it's in pretty good shape, but it's missing a sticker, one of the wheels barely rolls, and has some imperfections that prevent it from being considered "mint". So, that'll be the one I tinker with! Besides, I can always buy a mint one for keeps. Really looking forward to working with this one because it's going to be a very different custom than any I've ever done.
IMG_1402.jpeg

Hot Wheels Digger/Dirt Rover. Wanted to do something fun and different for customizing and found this for a cheap price, so I got it for that reason! Since making that picture, I've already got it taken apart and I'm going to strip it as soon as I get a new can of paint stripper. I love ex-Corgi's to death and this thing is not only a childhood casting for me, but it just drips with potential I feel nobody has ever looked into. I'm pumped to see how this thing will be once completed!
IMG_1404.jpeg

My customizing craze is starting to come back and hopefully, now I can be more successful with some new tools! :)

Last edited:
Well, got some more today! :D

Corgi Commando V100. Been tempted to get one of these to customize for a while now and finally decided to get one recently. Going to feel bad about taking this one apart because it's in pretty good shape, but it's missing a sticker, one of the wheels barely rolls, and has some imperfections that prevent it from being considered "mint". So, that'll be the one I tinker with! Besides, I can always buy a mint one for keeps. Really looking forward to working with this one because it's going to be a very different custom than any I've ever done.
View attachment 1223671
I had one of these. :) May still have it somewhere. I can't remember it ever having a sticker on it though. 🤔

It was not one I really played with, so if I have it would have very little wear.

Nice! :) I've already peeled the sticker off of mine since it's going to be customized. I tried to peel it without tearing it, but it's so old now, I was unable to.

Did yours roll well? Mine sure doesn't for some reason, which is disappointing, but hey, at least now I won't feel so bad about customizing it. :)

I don't remember mine not moving freely. I think all the cars I have/had had all the wheels working.

After your post earlier, I looked at the price of Corgi Commando V100, and was surprised. 😲

I looked up few more Matchbox cars that I can remember having, and again, surprising values. I would have thought that without the boxes they would be worth nothing, but they do have some value. :):lol:

Well, unexpected, but not unwelcome! :D

What we have here is an ex-Corgi Ferrari 348 TB. Loved this thing from the very first time I got one and I just had to get this when I saw it. This one appears to be a different variation from the one I got years ago since it lacks the Ferrari logo and painted engine, I speculate it was the one from the playset. These suckers are usually expensive every time I look, but I got this one for a bargain! :)
IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

To the dismay of collectors everywhere, I got this thing so I can customize it. Yes I know it's not a very common casting, but this thing has seen better days and I've wanted to customize one of these for years now and I feel this is my chance to finally do it.

Me: when you grow up, you have to make smart decisions with your money

Daughter: no impulse buys? Got it.

Me: pardon me but I'm 11 years old right now

I couldn't resist the Back to Future DMC-12 from Hot Wheels...

507BADB8-FCDD-47C6-9A23-055EAF0DCD70.jpeg

(In the $1.20 bin, I actually got that for my chores in 1985.)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back