2007-08 NBA Season

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 154 comments
The Spurs-Suns and Hornets-Mavs series are some of the most interesting series i've ever seen in the playoffs.

Hey did you guys hear about what happened in game 1 between the Pistons and 76ers? Apparently Rasheed Wallace decided to be a douche (surprising) and walk in on the Sixers huddle, as well as put his arms around some of the Sixers as if he was actually on the team.

I'm glad they lost after that classless move.

A late post, but way to go, Rasheed.

The Mavericks always seem to choke in the playoffs, despite the increased efforts of Dirk Nowitzski. They are also a team unknown here in the east. As for Phoenix and San Antonio, Steve Nash is the pillar of the team, even when he doesn't score. Shut him down, and who else is there? It depresses me, but the Spurs will likely have this one.

The Raptors have a lot of work to do...

Dallas gone... Phoenix gone... Houston stands (for now)... what a series. Do you think people are going to start saying "can't win the big one" from Dallas being ousted the past two playoff series? I'm partisan to my own Texas teams, but I'm sure there are some upset Mavs fans hoping their season continued much further than this.

The Rockets smash the Jazz in Game 5... and they returned the favor to us just a few minutes ago. So I'm officially away from looking at this year's NBA action. The Rockets' season is over... and so is my caring/watching of the NBA Playoffs.

I guess a bright spot (if anything) is for us Texas NBA fans to root San Antonio as getting the NBA title for Texas.

At least your team made it to the playoffs. My Knicks didn't even get a whiff of the playoffs. I hope the NBA fixes the lottery so the Knicks can get the first pick.

Revival, unless there is a thread devoted to the playoffs.

It seems that everybody wants the Celtics and the Lakers to face off again in the final, but the media can be to blame. However, it appears that if Cleveland upsets the Celtics, then the Pistons would have a challenge. With either team and the momentum each have, the Pistons, finishing the Magic early, would be at a bit of a disadvantage. However, the rest of Cleveland is simple enough to shut down; LeBron would provide most of the cause for defense, which the Celtics excelled at in Game 6. Both sides couldn't score, however, Kevin Garnett and LeBron James excepted... Now, if the Celtics made it, Rasheed Wallace and Rip Hamilton would have their hands even more full with more efficient players, namely Ray Allen, Garnett again, and Paul Pierce, and the drive of those players (none have won a championship, I believe) would certainly overwhelm Detroit to start.

On another note, the Jazz were outplayed by the Lakers in the first quarter entirely.

I'm kinda sad the Jazz were knocked out. The Lakers have no class (well Kobe mostly), and the Jazz are such hard workers. I really like Jerry Sloan.

I believe that in order for the Celtics to beat the Pistons Ray Allen is going to have to step up and play better much better than he did against the Cavs or it might the lakers vs the Pistons.

After 21 years, they face off again in finals. Would this rivalry be renewed? I'm glad that this competition between the two most well-known teams would face off after 21 years. I wasn't even born back then, but I played this Lakers vs. Celtics for the Genesis before, and it was a classic. 2K Sports should give us the real simulation of the NBA Finals because 2K Sports or EA Sports didn't even depict the real NBA Finals. We all know what happened this afternoon's match up, but we need a prediction from our video games. Predicting it in reality might have psychic work.

Yes. No one can doubt that the players of each team have the drive to win, but to nominate Kobe for MVP seems like giving it to him. He deserved it, but that was back then. With so many other harder-working players out there, though, such as LeBron James or even Kevin Garnett, the vote should really be between them; the MVP award is certainly not honourary.

Off-topic for a bit, but imagine if Rip Hamilton painted his nose guard all black. He would either be very intimidating or very silly.

Dang, I thought the Lakers-Celtics finals would come, but then again, it's just the conference finals this week. I wish both Lakers and Celtics would come to the NBA Finals, so it'll be the best rivalry match yet.

YES! The Heat got the second pick! Phew, i was worried there for a second. :)

I'll gladly take the leftovers the Bulls leave between Rose-Beasley.

I can't believe the Bulls got the first pick! My Knicks got robbed they needed the first pick more than anybody.

Caught part of the game because my mom like this crap... Kobe was driving to the net and he didn't have the defender to lean on so he fell, he didn't want to lose possession so he called timeout.

This is why Basketball is _ _ _... :rolleyes:

Was there need for that?

If the Lakers are playing the Spurs... Spurs in 6.

The Celtics will go all the way; Garnett, Pierce and Allen may never get this chance again, and Danny Ainge needs to keep his job... Celtics are up 1-0 in the series; things are looking good.

Lakers v. Celtics! I fail to see the hype, though. Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett et al. are far from Larry Bird and Magic Johnson; the modern group seem to lack charisma.

I think that the Celtics have a fairer shot at the title, even when both teams have something to prove (Kobe on his ability to win without Shaq, Kevin Garnett and Co. for winning a championship in general), mainly because the Celts have a strong supporting cast. Doc Rivers also appears to be more capable of taking on all sorts of pressure as a coach than his counterpart, despite his lack of appearances in the Finals. If the Lakers can get Boston to the line, though...

Well i'll be rooting for the Celtics, because the Lakers are still really young and i really want KG to get a ring.

Lakers v. Celtics! I fail to see the hype, though. Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett et al. are far from Larry Bird and Magic Johnson; the modern group seem to lack charisma.

I think that the Celtics have a fairer shot at the title, even when both teams have something to prove (Kobe on his ability to win without Shaq, Kevin Garnett and Co. for winning a championship in general), mainly because the Celts have a strong supporting cast. Doc Rivers also appears to be more capable of taking on all sorts of pressure as a coach than his counterpart, despite his lack of appearances in the Finals. If the Lakers can get Boston to the line, though...

Dont forget IF the lakers end up winning, Kobe will be the only other person Other then Jordan (and this is only if he goes to the Olympics and win gold this summer) to win both MVP, NBA Champs, And a US Gold metal all in the same year.

Right. The Celtics can shut down Kobe Bryant too, with reasonably strong defense...

"Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley were so close!" But they could not have done what Kobe could do in the same year.

What's up with Paul Pierce? He rolled out in a wheelchair but he comes back 5-10 minutes later busting threes? If you are rolled out in a wheelchair you need to be really hurt. What makes it even worse is folks are comparing him to Willis Reed in Game 6 of the 1973 finals who came back after missng a few games because of a torn muscle.That's ridiculous.

Right. The Celtics can shut down Kobe Bryant too, with reasonably strong defense...

"Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley were so close!" But they could not have done what Kobe could do in the same year.

Reasonably strong defense? You mean the #1 defense during the regular season, the #1 defense during the postseason, and all lead by the league's defensive MVP?

kjb
What's up with Paul Pierce? He rolled out in a wheelchair but he comes back 5-10 minutes later busting threes? If you are rolled out in a wheelchair you need to be really hurt. What makes it even worse is folks are comparing him to Willis Reed in Game 6 of the 1973 finals who came back after missng a few games because of a torn muscle.That's ridiculous.

He was just trying to play the drama up and take the Lakers out of the game.

Reasonably strong defense? You mean the #1 defense during the regular season, the #1 defense during the postseason, and all lead by the league's defensive MVP?

The Spurs had the number 1 defense, being the fundamental team that they are... and, Marcus Camby is the league's MVP for defense, sorry.

The Spurs had the number 1 defense, being the fundamental team that they are... and, Marcus Camby is the league's MVP for defense, sorry.

Actually, in terms of statistics, the Celtics had the best defense. Their opponents had the lowest field goal percentages last season, an average of 41.9 percent. The Spurs were 5th in that category at 44.4 percent, trailing Houston, Detroit, and Dallas. Detroit's opponents scored less on average (90.07) than did Boston's (90.29), but Boston had a way better better point differential. (+10.25 to Detroit's +7.39). And Kevin Garnett was the DPOY this year. Camby was last year's.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable1.html#top

Actually, in terms of statistics, the Celtics had the best defense. Their opponents had the lowest field goal percentages last season, an average of 41.9 percent. The Spurs were 5th in that category at 44.4 percent, trailing Houston, Detroit, and Dallas. Detroit's opponents scored less on average (90.07) than did Boston's (90.29), but Boston had a way better better point differential. (+10.25 to Detroit's +7.39). And Kevin Garnett was the DPOY this year. Camby was last year's.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable1.html#top

Sports Illustrated has the stats listed as the Spurs allowing an average of 90.1 points per game, but did not go too far in depth with the rest of the stats. That magazine also said that Marcus Camby successfully defended his title, but I will check the link.

Do you count the playoffs?

Back