2008 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 493 comments
c'mon
did you really enyoj the dry session of the race?
I think it was boring. Rain makes races very exciting. Ofcourse this track is much more fun with rain:tup:
You, out of everyone Mr. Rainmaster sir, should know that Spa is the wettest track out there.

c'mon
I think it was boring. Rain makes races very exciting. Ofcourse this track is much more fun with rain:tup:
Oh come on, please try to watch the race again. You missed just about everything. The race was exciting from start to finish. From the 1st turn pile up to the finish line it was nothing but pure racing. :D I mean, definitely way better than Valencia a few weeks ago. Also, you just got to remember that Spa is the only race on the calendar which is almost 7KM long, and most part of the circuit was still from the original GP way back then. Hockenheimring was really good as well, until they had shortened it and now Spa is the only long configuration track on the F1 calendar. 👍

Also, expect Spa to pull this off every year from now on.... ;)

That was awesome! I love seeing fights for the lead like that! The end was chaotic, Raikkonen spins twice, Hamilton on the grass, Heidfeld passing Bourdais, Vettel :( , and Alonso, then Vettel :) and Alonso passing Bourdais, then Kovalainen breaking down. Phew!

PeterJB drives for Toro Rosso?!

I wish I did!

Fantastic. Fan-bleeding-tastic. The start was awesome. The middle was decent. The finish was epic. Pure epic. My favourite driver on the 4th spot, and another in 5th is just the icing on the cake of a very, very thrilling race.

With the two Finns failing to finnish on the last laps and Hamilton winning again, it'll be up to Massa to provide the championship challenge, and up to Hamilton to secure not just his own title, but perhaps help his team get a shot at the constructors title, where Ferrari have a lead similar to his own in the Driver's championship.

FUUUUUUUUUU- Alonso ALMOST gets on the poduim ON THE DAMN FINISH LINE! YOU HAVE TO SEE IT! HEILFELD AND ALONSO WERE SIDE TO SIDE!

That would've been Bourdais and Alonso - Heidfeld was a corner and a half ahead of them at the start-finish line.

Alonso did make a bad decision to change to wet tires on the last lap, but it nearly paid off. If he changed a lap earlier, he could have finish better than 4th I reckon.

A bad decision? He overtook Bourdais in a blink. Sure, it would've been a better decision to switch earlier - he would've maintained his position against Heidfeld, for example - but it wasn't a bad decision in any way.

That was a nail biting finish to a Grand Prix if ever there was one! :eek: best moment in the race for me was the part where Lewis had to let Kimi retake the lead after the contact and he ran across the run off area ... as soon as he let him retake the lead he was instantly back up his ass and a quick flick to take the lead again was a brilliant move and wicked to watch 👍

Driver of the day for me was Bourdais as he really performed great the whole race and only really put a foot wrong in the final laps due to rain .. stellar effort from him in amongst the better teams for sure 👍 I was hoping he would get the final podium place as he was defo on for it until he messed up :(

Definitely a race to remember :cheers:

Words measured in gold, Ron. And I have to say, I was smiling the whole race through that Bourdais ran so well - with a nice chunk of bridgewing missing. That's aerodynamics for you. :lol:

But indeed - Hamilton, Bourdais and Alonso drove absolutely stellar races. I'll keep that one taped, for sure.

c'mon

I don't know about you, but the first 1/3rd of the race was as thrilling as it got all season long, wet racing excluded - a pass for the lead, two top-guys falling behind, lots of action and odd positions. How often do you hear "Kimi, Lewis, Felipe... Fernando? Sebastien?" in the positions list? The middle third was average, but nothing close to boring.

That was a fun final 10 minutes, slowest last lap ever? :P Well, that's Kimi's Championship run up in smoke, surely the team will now pull behind Massa for the final 5 races? A concerning part here for McLaren:

Why didn't Heikki let Lewis through when he already had a drive-through? (Richly deserved might I add)

Others doing well, Alonso whilst it was dry was doing brilliantly, much faster than the BMWs and (Suprisingly both) the Toro Rossos. Bourdais put in his drive of the season, it was a shame Heidfeld had the jump on him with better tyres. Vettel did a much better job than I was expecting too, I really fealt that heavy fuel load was going to kill him in the opening laps.

Kubica was abnormally quiet though, didn't really feature much at all and then got owned by his team mate (Granted, through luck and strategy, but still.), elsewhere, what was Williams playing at? First of all Nakajima holds up both Raikkonen and Hamilton as they lapped him and then Rosberg rejoins the track in the dying moments right infront of the leading pair. Perhaps they just wanted as much screen time as possible?

Oh and finally, Kimi/Lewis collision is under investigation: LINK

I'm thinking more Kimi, Lewis was more than beside him as they entered. Maybe just like, a fine or a 5-spot grid pen, at the very worst.

Neither raikkonen or Hamilton will get anything. Maybe a fine if they find any infringements.

Though I dont know if I agree with what Hamilton did. He let him back in the lead, but not much at all, just dropped right into his slip stream. Cheeky.

Though I dont know if I agree with what Hamilton did. He let him back in the lead, but not much at all, just dropped right into his slip stream. Cheeky.

Yeah but wasn't Hamilton in that position as they entered the turn? ;)

Great race, from start to finish, it was good enough just to be watching Hamilton battling his gap to Raikkonen, but there was enough entertainment elsewhere, with Barrichello and Coulthard having a decent scrap at the start, and I can't believe that no-one has mentioned Trulli's epic start????!?!?! He jumped up the grid in a flash, a big shame he couldn't make it stick. Kovalianen was overtaking people left, right and centre at the start too until he caused that accident.
Great to see the Toro Rosso's doing extremely well, they have really come far and easily rank up there among BMW, Toyota, Renault and Red Bull. Way ahead of Williams and Honda by all means.
As for the finish, just brilliant. I feel for Kimi, having lead the entire race and then coming under intense pressure from Hamilton and the rain to spinning, felt sorry for him. Can't really fault his driving today and it was just unlucky with the weather really.
Massa was great too, managing not to screw it up when the rain came and keeping a decent gap over Alonso. Good, fast and safe driving from him for some points.
Hamilton was a disaster today, making mistakes that could have cost him dearly and he was very fortunate the rain came and saved his race. He was doing well to keep level with Raikkonen all race though, so overall a mediocre drive, keeping position but not really impressing.

As for teams, McLaren have a very real chance of obtaining the constructors by the end, maybe if they continue as they are, Ferrari may see themselves threatened by BMW too!
The battle for 4th is still going Toyota's way in my opinion, although Trulli and Glock didn't do great today, they are a much stronger and reliable points grabbing team than Alonso and Piquet. Red Bull are totally out of the running because Coulthard is pathetic this season.
In fact, if they're not careful, Toro Rosso may actually beat Red Bull by the season end. Toro Rosso are certainly set to beat Williams, Honda and Force India by miles.

Not much to say about the backenders. Honda and Force India are already focusing on 2009 probably and Williams may soon look to join them, as they have overall done an average job. Williams may try and focus on beating Red Bull and Toro Rosso though. Who knows.

Oh come on, please try to watch the race again. You missed just about everything. The race was exciting from start to finish. From the 1st turn pile up to the finish line it was nothing but pure racing. :D I mean, definitely way better than Valencia a few weeks ago. Also, you just got to remember that Spa is the only race on the calendar which is almost 7KM long, and most part of the circuit was still from the original GP way back then. Hockenheimring was really good as well, until they had shortened it and now Spa is the only long configuration track on the F1 calendar. 👍

Also, expect Spa to pull this off every year from now on.... ;)

I dont mean it was boring like valancia.Ofcourse it was better than most of other races this year. There was lots of action and overtakes back of the grid but what can you say about first triple? if you cut the race in second lap and merge it to the last 2 lap you'll see that nothing has changed in front. first two lap was great too but it was half wet. I've been watching F1 since 1994 (zoxxy, this is for you) I know spa is one of the greatest f1 track. but all I say is it's more fun and exciting with rain. dont get me wrong. I want to see some great action in dry track and front of the grid too.

You won't get that as long as there are unequal cars. There's always one team that's faster - at best, two equals - and the differences between the drivers mean that action rarely happens there. Nothing short of spec-cars will change that.

You won't get that as long as there are unequal cars. There's always one team that's faster - at best, two equals - and the differences between the drivers mean that action rarely happens there. Nothing short of spec-cars will change that.

I know. F1 of 90's are a utopia for now but some new regulation is really helping today's F1. Dry races could be much more excited with pure slick tyres.💡

And then it wouldn't be F1, and of course we wouldn't want that.

I know. F1 of 90's are a utopia for now but some new regulation is really helping today's F1. Dry races could be much more excited with pure slick tyres.💡

Um, F1 of the 90's was even worse for certain teams and drivers domination.....

This grid has been the closest for a long time if ever.

Bee
Hamilton penalised 25 secs for cutting the chicane: LINK

I wonder how long it takes for the "McLaren conspiracy" suspicions to arise again? Probably 5 seconds, lol.

If Ferrari don't get behind Massa now, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Bee
Hamilton penalised 25 secs for cutting the chicane: LINK

Thats a joke there is no way he deserved that. If he did then Ferrari and Massa deserved the same in Valencia for dangerously releasing him in the pits. I dont like to think this but another case of FIA, Ferrari Interests Association!

I do not agree. I think what he did was wrong, just like what Alonso did to Klein in Suzuka 2005 (remember that, similar deal), but taking the win away is silly now. Id give him a 10-place grid penalty, that would be fair and wreak less of Ferrari favoritism.

Ferrari Interests Authority confirmed.

This sport is totally corrupt.

Last edited:
Thats a joke there is no way he deserved that. If he did then Ferrari and Massa deserved the same in Valencia for dangerously releasing him in the pits. I dont like to think this but another case of FIA, Ferrari Interests Association!

Thought it wouldn't take long, lol.

I'd have to say that this is a harsh penalty, seeing as Hamilton did give the place back and didn't gain an advantage, if he had not jumped at the chicane, he was clearly likely to have a go somewhere else, just as he did at the hairpin, so its not like he gained an advantage from slipstream, because he would have gained that advantage anyway following Kimi through the chicane.

I wonder if we will ever see the FIA being harsh on Ferrari?

If Heidfeld, Alonso, and Kubica receive the same penalty the Hamilton will move up to 2nd, Vettel 3rd :D, and Bourdais 4th. But, for now, Hamilton has a 2-point lead over Massa.

Ron's not gonna be taking this crap for much longer, when I told my mum the decision, she said he'll probably end up pulling the team at this rate.

I couldn't agree more. 👎

I do not agree. I think what he did was wrong, just like what Alonso did to Klein in Suzuka 2005 (remember that, similar deal), but taking the win away is silly now. Id give him a 10-place grid penalty, that would be fair and wreak less of Ferrari favoritism.

How was that wrong??? Raikkonen started braking earlier than Lewis and then stopped braking untill he was next to him. Because of that he could barely slow down to get the second part of the chicane right. Because Lewis was on the outside he didn't have anywhere else to go.

Kimi just forced him into cutting the chicane. He did the sane thing and avoided a collision. Yes, he overtook Kimi by doing it, but gave the place back right away. He could 've easily driven on.

I'm really pissed about this.:mad:

Last edited:
Back