2008 Brazilian Grand Prix

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 518 comments
I don't think McLaren, Ferrari or Renault will figure in next years championship. They've put to much effort into this year. BMW & Honda for 2009!!

It's been a great season despite the FIA. Hamilton is the correct champion, Massa has earned much respect for how he carried himself after the race and I'm sure that if he gets another chance he will become champion.

Now with the rules changes we can get back to one car dominating again. :nervous::nervous::nervous:

I notice on the official Formula 1 website they still have France listed as round 8 in next years championship.

Last edited:
💡 Erm... FIRE!

a984babe3db3feffe4e295c5e18197cfo.gif

lol

:lol:

It's the guy with the "red thing on his head" (don't know the name of it in english) that warns them, not the TV. You can see him clearly in the first part of this gif.

It's a cruel moment, I don't find it funny at all.

Same here, but I guess that's because I wanted Felipe to win.
Had it been anthony hamilton I'd have laughed my head off :/

Congratulations to Timo Glock...I mean, Lewis Hamilton!

For all of those who do not fully understand the meaning of using the wrong tires in the wrong conditions, please re-watch the first couple of laps of the 2007 European Grand Prix again. That's when a back of the-grid car (Spyker) with a driver making his F1 debut (Marcus Winkelhock), was able to lap faster than the rest of the field by quite a margin.

This also marks the first time that a GP2 Series champion was able to win a Formula One World Driver's Championship. Wait, GP2's only four years old, you say...But it's never happened with Formula 3000 (1985-2004) champions, and it has never happened in the history of the European Formula Two Championship, either (1967-1984) from which both were derived from.

Well what a finish, thought it was all over until Brundle snapped me back to reality. 'Is that Glock?'... Those words resound in my head forever more.

Got to feel sorry for Massa, this year was his best chance. Kimi didn't like playing 2nd fiddle and I'm sure that he will make sure he's number 1 in the red team next year.

However with all the rule changes it could well be a Honda that takes the championship next year with Ferrari closely beating Red Bull for the wooden spoon...

I've managed to get hold of some hi res images, I'll post a few up later and if anyone wants full sizes I'll send a PM.

Finally got to see a full replay of the race...

Hmm, I guess im one of these 'consipary theorists' then, I don't believe that Glock would have lost so much speed on the 2nd to last corner. You just can't write that stuff... Oh well if he starts buying expensive houses and yatchs next week you will know what happened! :sly: He didnt even try to block Lewis off.

I do agree that it probably the most thrilling race Ive ever seen since I started watching F1 back in the mid 90's. I do feel for Massa and expecially seeing his folks celebrate was really cruel. I guess he was just putting on a brave face and he will probably go home and cry all winter.

I dont know what it is about Hamilton but I just can't stand how cocky he is, he is so full of it ALL THE TIME (reminds me of Schumacher!). But no one can deny he has the talent and clearly has a lot of luck although its almost like it means nothing to him because his success is just a given for him. He like the new 'celeb' image of F1... oh gosh its going to end up being wag's and all! :ill:

I was also sad to see Coulthard not even make it past the first corner, but I guess it sums up his season... I remember the great Mclaren days with him and Hakkinen... If I were him I would beg for another season and hope Brazil next year is more forgiving!

Oh and whats going to happen the ITV F1 crew? are they all going to have to retire... please BBC take at least Martin Brundle! After James Allens 'nothing worse than bad nozzle positioning' joke I think we'l live without him!

Robin

But no one can deny he has the talent and clearly has a lot of luck

He didn't have much luck at last seasons Brazilian GP.

Brundle is confirmed for the BBC next season i think.

He didn't have much luck at last seasons Brazilian GP.

Yeah but in general bad things mostly seem to avoid him, whislt everyone else is spinning off the track in a ball of fire it seems he is immune to the crazyness.. he's even lucky in that his car is way more reliable than Hekki's and its supposed to be the same!

Brundle is confirmed for the BBC next season i think.

That will be good, can you imagine him and Murray Walker (if that happens) = dream team! I would hate to see them do nothing just because F1 changed channel! They make the show!

Robin

... this gif.

It's a cruel moment, I don't find it funny at all.

I think it's a bit unkind, but at the same time, it is kinda funny... I guess that's the nature of humour - someone is always the butt of the joke... and none of those guys deserved it, least of all Massa's family... but that's what happens when you celebrate too soon... the fat lady left it very late indeed to "sing", and they certainly jumped the gun!

Atleast Anthony Hamilton was quick to praise Massa and his family for their decorum and general behaviour etc. I really like Massa and his sporting demeanor... a respect I used to have for Alonso but have since lost. I also thought Kimi's attitude was pretty spot on - he did a great job for the team and has pretty much paid back in full what Massa did for him last year...

Robin
But no one can deny he has the talent and clearly has a lot of luck

As for Lewis being "lucky", I reject that - considering most of his "luck" has been bad... and being in a position to take Glock on the last lap was nothing to do with luck at all... McLaren and Lewis had many tough calls to make and they got them all right, perfectly right in fact - given that Lewis was not quick yesterday and was struggling to hold off the challengers behind him (notably Vettel), the team pulled off a masterpiece of brinksmanship and did all they needed to do. Some may view his 5th place as lucky - I think it was a piece of brilliant teamwork.

Absolutely not...

edit: Actually, I'm wrong to say that they got their strategy "perfectly" right... it was "good enough", esp. given that Hamilton seemed to be struggling for grip throughout the race and couldn't hold off Vettel... they got his first stop a bit wrong, by waiting an extra lap when they might have brought him in sooner, for example... but in terms of making the "big" call - whether to go all-or-nothing against Vettel (which probably wouldn't have worked out well) or to stay calm and trust the team's judgement that Glock was passable - I don't think that came down to luck. Neither would I say that Vettel's pass on Hamilton was "bad luck"... it wasn't, Hamilton made a mistake (maybe no thanks to Kubica for that, too) but even so, Vettel was too strong for him anyway. Whichever way you slice it, though, I'd say Hamilton's good luck factor was well and truly cancelled out by his bad luck. Now Massa, on the other hand - didn't put a foot wrong and was still robbed at the death... now that's bad luck...

Last edited:
Hamilton's best luck this season have been Ferrari downfalls with Massa's pitstop and engine. Although him hitting the wall a monaco to go to a 1 stopper was quite lucky.

Wouldnt you define that as luck?

Nope I would call that intelligent strategy, a good strategy always tries to factor in luck by the probability of things happening. Its impossible to predict exactly whats going to happen in a race so its impossible to know the perfect strategy beforehand. The best strategy in this scenario is to cover all bases and be conservative as possible to minimise risk. I think Mclaren were spot on in that respect although perhaps a little too conservative making the margin of victory a little too close :nervous:

[edit]
Hamilton's best luck this season have been Ferrari downfalls with Massa's pitstop and engine. Although him hitting the wall a monaco to go to a 1 stopper was quite lucky.

agreed.

Actually, I'm wrong to say that they got their strategy "perfectly" right... it was "good enough",

OK, it was the 'perfectly' bit that I particularly dissagreed with not being luck :)

Also I was refering to the season as a whole, not just this race... In my view regardless of strategy or talent Hamilton has been lucky quite a fair bit over this year, considering the way he drives which is quite bold I was suprised he wasnt involved in as many incidents as he could have been. Yes there have been some unlucky situations for him but the majority of the time danger seems to illude him... bit like Schumacher.

But as I said its my opinon, if it was all purely due to great Mclaren strategy why isnt Hekki pulling off the same results.

Eddie Jordan agrees with me! ... The simple fact is if Glock hadnt slown down Hamilton would have not got the title.

http://www.sportinglife.com/others/...AME=others/08/11/03/AUTO_Hamilton_Jordan.html

Alex.
Just made this :D

I thought that video they did was terrible, but in a hilarious way. :D

Robin

Last edited:
I don't understand those who suggest Mclaren's tactics were bad at all. Simple question: what should they have done differently?

Pulled him in a lap earlier for dry tyres? To what end? He would've gained, oh, three seconds of basically useless time (at that point in the race), at the cost of a higher risk of some sort of incident (remember how badly cars that came in a lap earlier were fishtailing as they went out on the cold dry tyres? Three or four people nearly put them in a wall). Remember, before the rain late in the race, he was running a perfectly comfortable fourth: one spot above where he needed to be. Which entirely vindicates the early race strategy.

At the end of the race, what on Earth are they saying Mclaren should have done? Left him on dry tires? Oh, yes, that would have been a stunning strategy - look how brilliantly it worked out for Glock. If he'd stayed out on drys, he would've been the one inching round the track on the last lap. He'd have *lost* the championship in the final corner, not won it.

As various people have pointed out, the only reason it seemed so dicey was Glock's decision to stay out. Everyone else came in. If Glock had come in too, Hamilton would've still been in fourth, and even if he'd lost the place to Vettel, it wouldn't have been any particular drama. There was a simple choice to be made - drys or wets - and, like almost all the field, Mclaren picked wets and got it right, and Hamilton came home comfortably in the position he needed, even though Glock's gamble made it seem much more precarious. That's the story in the end.

I have to say I now has MASSIVE respect for Massa as a driver and a man. I have always been highly critical of him harking back to his Sauber days when you wouldn't even trust him with a rented car. But this season he has come on leaps and bounds and has matured as a driver. Although I think Hamilton is worth of his title I believe Massa showed that he can and maybe should win a world title.

To all those looking forward to 2009 as another close season between many teams, I think you need to remember that next year we have massive rule changes which will see the field spread back to 90s-lengths. I highly doubt that some of the teams will be anywhere near as good this year, namely Toro Rosso.

To be honest, any of the teams have a chance of rising up the grid next year, but some will be stronger than others, and I think the key to all this will be the KERS system, some teams have better ones than others and this is why I reckon Honda and BMW Sauber will have a major edge of the rest of the teams next year.
Ferrari and McLaren have high chances of falling down the grid a bit, Toyota are an unknown entity and Renault will likely be in a good position.

As for the non-manufactuer teams, I'd say Force India have the greatest chances of improvement if they pull this McLaren deal off for the KERS, engine and drivetrain. Williams could go anywhere. Red Bull have Adrian Newey but I'm not so sure they will have the KERS system, same goes for Toro Rosso.

If we had the same regulations next year, it would most certainly be a close season, as it is, it will be an interesting season to see which teams place where but won't be nearly as close as this season.

Agreed the new rule changes will mix things up somewhat in terms of team performance, however I do welcome this change, hopefully overtaking will be easier, and it seems the cars will be faster which I personally like.

Back