2009 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter
  • 436 comments
Double post. :yuck:

And you know, KERS last more then the length of Kammel straight. You know he was on it because that was his only chance to really have a shot at Fisi.

Look at onboards, first turn pictures. Google it if you have too. You'll see Nick Heidfeld and Trulli were under him and absolutely no where to go. Then as he tried to turn back in, he got massive oversteer because of all that rubbish there and had no choice to run even wider. Case Closed.

KERS last for 6 seconds... and Kammel straight last for almost or more than 6 seconds... He can use it on the Kammel straight of course.. I have no problem with that...

Yes of course but seriously, he did gain advantage... So he did maintain and got pass Kubica and Trulli... But whatever happened... A lot have used that run-off and most of them did maintain speed and overtook someone...

Here's the picture...

Fantastic race, both of them. GP2 had a lot of wheel to wheel action and turn 5 attrition. Too bad about the safety car finish, though.
I've had quite enough of Renault/front wheel pit snafu's. They've cost Alonso when the car is actually performing... Wasn't it last year (?) at Hungaroring when one of the rears came loose, or perhaps '06? It's like de ja vù for Alonso fans. Raikonnen had it together, though, and his reaction to the Brawns slow start were astonishing. It's like he expected it. Without KERS he would have been formidable.

It strikes of double ****ing standards really

Remember last year? Hamilton accidently cuts the chicane, gave the place back to Massa and then had him in the first corner when it was starting to rain

This year, Kimi intentionally runs onto the run-off area, uses his KERS advantage through Eau Rouge and down the straight to have Kubica in Les Combes.

Drivers are always told in the briefing that you must keep two wheels, at least, on the race track and, Kimi had four wheels and the rest of Belgium off the track and it was blatant as hell.

And what do the stewards do? Nothing, nada, zippo.

it was a great weekend, i was there from friday till sunday and it was very nice.
it also was very cold at night but i had a lot off fun.
to bad that L Hamilton was knocked off in the first round!
but he there were still 2 dutch winners so i was happy:tup:

It was also a suprise to see fisichella so close behind kimi the whole race.
im not a ferrari fan but it was nice to be there because all those fans of ferrari were very happy...

Last edited:

Remember last year? Hamilton accidently cuts the chicane, gave the place back to Massa and then had him in the first corner when it was starting to rain

This year, Kimi intentionally runs onto the run-off area, uses his KERS advantage through Eau Rouge and down the straight to have Kubica in Les Combes.

Drivers are always told in the briefing that you must keep two wheels, at least, on the race track and, Kimi had four wheels and the rest of Belgium off the track and it was blatant as hell.

Actually, I recall reading that the drivers were told they may use the run-off area at La Source is they absolutely have to. It's a bit like the first chicane at the Surfers' Paradise street circuit; IndyCar drivers were permitted to cut it when exiting the pits. The La Source hairpin itself is quite narrow and has a tendency to produce chaos. Several drivers had to make for the run-off to spare themselves from an accident. It's unclear whether Raikkonen was intentionally aiming for it from the start, and very difficult to prove if he was.

Kimi wasn't planning on taking that route beforehand. If he did, he would have carried more speed through the corner to max out the asphalt on the left of the track. He could have made the turn without crossing the white line, but that meant lifting off and losing momentum = probably no win. He said that if he gained an advantage from taking that route, he'd do it for every lap...

He did everything at the right time, and didn't crack under the pressure of Fisi being in a sec behind him all of the time. Such a great driver. And really the King of Spa.

Really good win for Kimi yesterday. 👍 Personally, I didn't think Fisichella would be able to keep up with Kimi as soon as he took off from him after the safety car left, but he did! Of course being an Aussie I support Webber so I was disappointed to see him move up to 5th and then receive a drive-through penatly..... But anyway, great race! :)

It was Kimi he was fighting with last year.

The stewards didn't even bother investigating Kimi's T1, so it must've all been 100% legal and discussed pre-race.

Don't rain on our parade just cause Jenson and Hamilton had absolutely horrible, demoralizing, aggravating, noobish races.

(I'm loving this :))

Don't rain on our parade just cause Jenson and Hamilton had absolutely horrible, demoralizing, aggravating, noobish races.

(I'm loving this :))

They both got hit from behind by less experienced drivers. What's your point?

Kimi is a great driver and perhaps the very fastest of all the current drivers.

He stole that win though. He deliberately used the run off tarmac to gain momentum. That was how he passed those cars on the first lap.

Anyone who can't see that is blinded by either Finnish or Ferrari blinkers.

If he had not gone off he would have been involved in a crash perhaps. And anyone saying he stole the win is stretching it. It happens all the time,if he would have finished 3rd nothing would have been said. Ferrari won the race accept it. :)

From the onboards when the BBC were analysing it, it did seem like Kimi had no intention of taking the corner properly.

Exactly, no intention at all

And and Finland boy, I'm a fan of Rubeniho and not Jenson and Hamilton so stick that in your rallying perspective and smoke it

Grosejan hit Button, Alguersuari hit Hamilton, and Raikkonen looked like he purposely took the runoff. He did take the runoff in 2008, and i think he did in 2007 as well.

Grosejan hit Button, Alguersuari hit Hamilton, and Raikkonen looked like he purposely took the runoff. He did take the runoff in 2008, and i think he did in 2007 as well.

So he did stole the victory, because of this is his favourite track, he mastered it and knew everything that we didn't know about this circuit that if you run wide you can keep the momentum but got dirt on the tires... By watching the video, it explains everything!!!!

Was he did the same in 2007??

But, as was pointed out by David Coulthard, any advantage Kimi gained was squandered by the fact that the runoff area is very dirty. It's not like he leapfrogged into the lead or anything; he was running third when he went off, and he was running third when he rejoined.

And and Finland boy, I'm a fan of Rubeniho and not Jenson and Hamilton so stick that in your rallying perspective and smoke it
Hey, there's no need to be so aggressive, okay? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Aridus is a pretty insightful member of the forums and you're just a newcomer from the Me Generation. I'm by no means a moderator - and nor am I trying to be one; I play the leading man, not God - but if you start launching salvos, that's your choice. Just don't be surprised if everyone takes issue with it. Just a friendly word of advice.

Explains why you're not raising absolute hell about Barrichello shortcutting Les Combes to avoid the carnage. Probably because you think it was totally fair for him to do that but take another look at the start and tell me where there was a space for Räikkönen to fit in. There is none with Trulli and Kubica running to the outside. Should I become a real terror now and start screaming bloody murder because Barrichello "stole" points instead of crashing into the pile? Probably not because it would make as little sense as... well, your point actually.

All this furor over Kimi running wide to advantage? It's not the same as cutting a corner by aggressively hopping kerbs or straightening a chicane, which is precisely what the 'two wheel' rule is for. Kimi simply ran wide to maintain momentum not gain it and avoid the copius contact present at this race. GP2 was even worse. Raikonnen drove with balls.

But that doesn't mean he cheated - he had fair reason to do so, he couldn't go anywhere. Watch the onboard - how could you say he should have taken the corner properly? There was no room!
He didn't really gain an advantage as Coulthard stated, there is too much dirt off line to really gain much speed, though he did avoid the turn 1 mess, wouldn't you rather drivers avoid collisions? The view I take is that he actually helped safety by avoiding a turn 1 mess, rather than turning in on Kubica, slowing down in front of Sutil&Co or ramming Heidfeld or Trulli.

There is a difference between this and where Sutil skipped turn 1 at Catalunya. Sutil got slapped in the face by karma though so it wasn't really noticed.

Late to the party again. Very exciting race, this whole season has been exciting with all the twists and turns. Good job Force India and BMW. Force India has finally passed up a team on the points scoreboard, 9th ahead of STR. Can't wait for Monza now, I'm waiting for this championship to really tighten up, who knows if it will, just have to wait and see, RBR needs to capitalize on these mistakes by Brawn, or rather Vettel and Rubens needed to capitalize more on Jenson, Webber can stay out of the points for the next few races.:lol::lol:

But that doesn't mean he cheated - he had fair reason to do so, he couldn't go anywhere. Watch the onboard - how could you say he should have taken the corner properly? There was no room!

Exactly the same point could be made at Hamilton vs. Raikonnen last year.

He didn't really gain an advantage as Coulthard stated

I'd personally class going from 5th in the braking zone to 2nd on the next straight as an advantage.

So really the Hamilton/Raikonnen 2008 comparison isn't valid. Hamilton gave the place back...

Explains why you're not raising absolute hell about Barrichello shortcutting Les Combes to avoid the carnage. Probably because you think it was totally fair for him to do that but take another look at the start and tell me where there was a space for Räikkönen to fit in. There is none with Trulli and Kubica running to the outside. Should I become a real terror now and start screaming bloody murder because Barrichello "stole" points instead of crashing into the pile? Probably not because it would make as little sense as... well, your point actually.

Ah, now, I never said what Rubens did was right and nor am i raising hell from it.

My point about it is such: you have a look at the start from the outside view where the camera is on the outside of the first corner. You will clearly see that Fisico gets into the corner at normal speed, Trulli and Heidfeld/Kubica went in at the same speed but Kimi must have carried twenty-thirty miles an hour MORE and blatantly went on the outside, made no intention to take the corner. It wouldn't have mattered if he got dirt on the tyres because they would have been cleaned before he got to the first braking zone at Les Combes. Thus he gained a huge advantage on the beamers and the Toyota.

The problem with Raikonnen is that while he has been with Ferrari, he's done nothing. He was touted as their best chance to win the championship and, in the end, got lucky with the one he won in 2007 because he was nowhere with five or six races to go and got totally outclassed by a driver who was supposed to be his number two last year.

Sure, Rubens knew his role at Ferrari, his role was to pull over and let Michael Schumacher win everything but as soon as Kimi was told to help Massa, out come the toys from the pram.

Now, onto your point at Rubens at Les Combes, yes, i will give you your due that he cut the second part of the corner, yes he avoided the wreckage but no, it was not intentional because he already said that he got understeer in that corner and if you look very carefully, you will see a tiny puff of smoke where he locks the brakes into the corner and then understeers into the field.

Now that I have sorted that argument out, back to transfer deadline day!

Also, tottally off the subject, why don't the Germans have a word for safety car? They also say Himiltan (Hamilton), Grewjohn (Grosjean) and Elguessaire (Alguesari)

Last edited:
Exactly the same point could be made at Hamilton vs. Raikonnen last year.

I'd personally class going from 5th in the braking zone to 2nd on the next straight as an advantage.

So really the Hamilton/Raikonnen 2008 comparison isn't valid. Hamilton gave the place back...

The advantage Hamilton gained was actually distance on the track whereas the advantage Raikkonen gained in this instance was not having to take avoiding action and end up slower, like Kubica did.
Raikkonen actually went the long and slower way around, just he didn't have to deal with traffic that way.

Back