2009 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter
  • 436 comments
Button squeezed Grosjean after overtaking Kovalinen, the tap sent Button around into the back of Hamilton who had slowed and was way off the racing line. Alergueri(Torro Rosso)opportunistly took the inside, but the unstable McLaren pointed inward from the hit from Button. The Torro Rosso drove through the front left of the McLaren and all of the cars ended up against the barrrier in turn 6. Kovalinen escaped unscathed. That's how I saw it.

As for Kimi's exit out of turn1, both Ferraris did it last year, and gained only undamaged cars from it. I assume the plan was to do it again' as Kimi started from the correct side of the track, to be able to do it again. Any illegality would have been a drive through penalty, and there wasn't.

Well done Fisi, great drive, unlucky not to be able to contest under brakes anywhere.
Vettels engine loosened up nicely and sticks his nose back in the fight for the championship photo finish. Who knows which position that will be.
Luckily Barrichello just makes it home with a couple of points, not the same story for Webber, who can't shake the bad luck monkey of his back. Another .2 of a second and it was a perfect pitstop. Can't blame the lollipop dude for guestimating that amount of time.

Last edited:
I can't help but feel that if things had been the other way round that your opinion would be different...

Im a Kimi fan as well but the advantage he gained was so obvious, he wasn't avoiding an incident and plainly just ran wide to use the extra speed boost, Im guessing he must have figured this out after last year :)

Edit: The personal attacks really aren't needed either.

I'm talking about Les Combes, not T1.

Great race! Great result which should keep championship interesting.
Happy for Raikkonen, Vettel and also Barichello for getting those 2 points literally ON FIRE :D
Awesome result for Fisi too, although he didn't seem really happy about the Raikkonen / KERS overtaking after the restart, still great showing 👍

Amazing, loved that. Fisi 👍👍👍 could have had a win in his hands if not for the safety car or if Kimi had made a mistake.
Amazing comeback for Force India, the only team left to have a bit of time back at the top end is Toro Rosso.

Who can predict what will happen at Monza?

Is Raikkonen under investigation for using the run-off to his advantage? I think the stewards should shove a 5 second penalty up his a**, all because I want Fisico to win so badly.

Lol I dunno man, but Kimi deserved this badly so I rather have nim nothing shoved up something. Kimi drove an amazing race!!!! :D

I said that Kimi was having pole, but even starting from 6th he can pull off a win! Best race of the season! **** yeah! 👍

Congrats to FI and Fisi too.

BTW if Kimi would be penalised, 3 others would have been penalised, Everybody would be penalised every lap in the Nurb because at the exit of T4 everybody does thesame. 👍👍 Way to go man, just accuse Kimi of cheating while it's not. ;)

As already stated this was easily the best race in the season as of yet.

I'm looking forward to Monza, and I'm actually looking forward to what's going to happen in the 2010 season. 👍

Heh, the new teams will no longer be targeting any of the current teams as targets to beat, thats for certain!
Before this season you would have said a successful new team would be one that beat Force India, but thats looking like a rather tall order now!

Ok, and now Grosjean is starting to sound as idiotic as Piquet:
Romain Grosjean (DNF):
"I made a very good start, moving up to thirteenth place and I was keeping a good pace but then Button took me out at turn five and it was the end for me. It's frustrating because I would have loved to finish the race and learn more about the car on this very special track. Hopefully I can do better in Monza."
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/8/9852.html

Last edited:
Best race of the season, glad that Fisi got on the podium. I was actually quite impressed with Rosberg though, he drove a very good race to bring the Williams home in the points. He's developed a habit of doing that this season hasn't he?

Also, I think it's safe to say that Badoer is done.

Last edited:
Also, I think it's safe to say that Badoer is done.

I was just about to bring Luca up, I figured since he was all the way at the back of the field that he was either...

A. Not really trying, or not meant to try.
which leads to...
B. Being just a filler until Massa returns, which he believes to be this year.

Thinking about the rumors that have been fluttering about for some time, I honestly have to say/think that Fernando has been propositioned by Ferrari and if he has probably will part ways with Renault. After what's happened today and in Bahrain (I think it was Bahrain, what was before Valencia?) he definitely has more than enough motivation to do so.

After what's happened today and in Bahrain (I think it was Bahrain, what was before Valencia?) he definitely has more than enough motivation to do so.

Thats embarrasing. Bahrain and Hungary are two wildly different countries. I'll let you off if you didn't see either race...but still.

Bahrain:
bahraincircuit_wideweb__430x259.jpg

Hungary:
hungaroring.jpg

Is it that hard? I mean, do you remember Alonso's wheel flying off in the desert? I think not.

I'm not even going to get into that with you. I do however hope that made you feel better.

Who says F1 isn't a contact sport? :sly:

Now that I think about it, Red Bull also made the same mistake with the pit release. I know these guys want to get them out there as fast as possible to maintain a good position, but aren't they paying attention to who's coming up right behind their guys? Continuing on Red Bull, I reckon if Vettel keeps contending and driving as well as he is another team is definitely going to proposition him.

Quickly.

I always knew it was a contact sport, his agent contacing him, that team contacting him......

This really is a crazy season... a Force India! On pole! On the podium! Madness!!!

Welcome to the house of fun!

These cars have a thing called a "brake pedal"

Knows his stuff don't he?

Button squeezed Grosjean after overtaking Kovalinen, the tap sent Button around into the back of Hamilton who had slowed and was way off the racing line. Alergueri(Torro Rosso)opportunistly took the inside, but the unstable McLaren pointed inward from the hit from Button. The Torro Rosso drove through the front left of the McLaren and all of the cars ended up against the barrrier in turn 6. Kovalinen escaped unscathed. That's how I saw it.

What brand of 4X were u drinking at the time?

Who can predict what will happen at Monza?

Cars will go in a very fast line

Ok, and now Grosjean is starting to sound as idiotic as Piquet:
Romain Grosjean (DNF):
"I made a very good start, moving up to thirteenth place and I was keeping a good pace but then Button took me out at turn five and it was the end for me. It's frustrating because I would have loved to finish the race and learn more about the car on this very special track. Hopefully I can do better in Monza."
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/8/9852.html

Sounds like he is a bit of a Richard

I was just about to bring Luca up

That must be painful

Hungary was before Valencia.

He knows his stuff too

Bahrain:
bahraincircuit_wideweb__430x259.jpg

Hungary:
hungaroring.jpg

Is it that hard? I mean, do you remember Alonso's wheel flying off in the desert? I think not.

No, i just remember hi intentionally slowing down and destroying Hamilton's wing

I don't think so, I'm starting to hope that they shove something up yours though...

LOL!!!

Nice one. :lol:

Pj, you gotta chill. You're giving us long time Fisi fans a bad name. Stop it.:yuck:

Kimi used runoff for a reason. To avoid chaos in that corner. Or did you not see that? Not trying to be mean, just saying. Before you point fingers because the guy you wanted to win, didn't.

What chaos, there was enough space on the road for him to stay on it. Trulli and Heidfield were rumbling on the inside, and there was an entire outside line for him to use. Does anyone have a picture of turn 1?

What chaos, there was enough space on the road for him to stay on it. Trulli and Heidfield were rumbling on the inside, and there was an entire outside line for him to use. Does anyone have a picture of turn 1?

Yeah.. But I don't have a picture of it...

Eventhough there was no room or so, if he runs wide, he should've just back off and the run off is also considered as cutting a chicane and gain advantage... In that case, Kimi just gain an advantage in case of speed...

I really hope that the stewards would do something with this... This made me feels mad for overtaking Heidfeld...

Unfortunately for you, since this is Kimi and not Lewis Hamilton. They're not going to change the rules after the race to penalize him. :lol:

Or they might.

Who knows?

Run-off isn't considered cutting a chicane. Run-off is run-off... on the outside of the turn. If you gain advantage on a guy by driving off into the run-off, where there's less grip and kerbs to bounce off of, then that guy was going pretty slowly in the first place.

No advantage comes from running wide. You're picking up dirt. Jenson Button did it, too, by the way.

Run-off isn't considered cutting a chicane. Run-off is run-off... on the outside of the turn. If you gain advantage on a guy by driving off into the run-off, where there's less grip and kerbs to bounce off of, then that guy was going pretty slowly in the first place.

But whatever happened, that run-off really gave a lot of advantage to Kimi and as you can see, he overtook Kubica first and then on the Kammel straight, he gone to overtook Heidfeld... Eventhough he used KERS on the Kammel straight, I will nevr mind that because he used KERS that time... But he can't overtook Kubica and Trulli at one time after going off track and back up with full speed... He was not losing speed that time...

No advantage comes from running wide. You're picking up dirt. Jenson Button did it, too, by the way.

But on this track, he did... Then how come that he's faster than Kubica and Trulli??? If he did not gain any advantage, then he could've slow down after that... and he didn't use KERS that time.. He use it on the Kammel straight to pass Heidfeld... And I don't mind that because he already on the straight + KERS...

But on this track, he did... Then how come that he's faster than Kubica and Trulli??? If he did not gain any advantage, then he could've slow down after that... and he didn't use KERS that time.. He use it on the Kammel straight to pass Heidfeld... And I don't mind that because he already on the straight + KERS...

Double post. :yuck:

And you know, KERS last more then the length of Kammel straight. You know he was on it because that was his only chance to really have a shot at Fisi.

Look at onboards, first turn pictures. Google it if you have too. You'll see Nick Heidfeld and Trulli were under him and absolutely no where to go. Then as he tried to turn back in, he got massive oversteer because of all that rubbish there and had no choice to run even wider. Case Closed.

EDIT: If I were Ferrari, I would give that man a RAISE!! That was incredible and a bawlsy move to tackle Eau Rouge with marbles and what-not on his tires. Probably some other drivers would of let off a bit just to be safe. Kimi was all out. d-(^^d-)

Last edited:
Back