2010 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

I can understand that Alonso was frustrated. This championship was his to loose and unfortunately due to a decision by either him or the team he pitted too early and got stuck behind a team that would rather see their engines win. Congratulations to Vettel, great performance all year. I think Mark has been far more consistent in terms of race results but couldn't do it today unfortunately.

Personally I would have loved to see either Webber or Alonso win but it is great to see another youngest world champion 👍

Great work Vettel! Did all that he could to win it and things panned out. In the end he deservedly won it. Without the mechanical problems he would have had 8 wins and wrapped up the championship but luck played against him during the year and made things a bit more difficult.

Alonso and Hamilton had similar years. Rued by issues usually outside of their control and didn't get the results needed when counted. They did great with inferior cars though.

Webber... I'm glad he didn't win it.

Webbo looks gutted as hell but he has nothing to be ashamed of, give him the equipment next year and I think he could win it and then retire as the world champion.

Looked miffed as hell to say congrats to Vettel though, still some bad feelings within RBR?

But how do explian all of his previous tantrums? I find this one especially bad since Petrov did nothing wrong. I dont even remember him having to block any genuine passing attempts.

His reaction was completely wrong. No doubt about it.

I would just like to point out that he just lost the championship (when a 4th place would have been enough). You can say he's a terrible turd for doing this. I'd say it's an extremely poor reaction many drivers would have in his position.

Great work Vettel! Did all that he could to win it and things panned out. In the end he deservedly won it. Without the mechanical problems he would have had 8 wins and wrapped up the championship but luck played against him during the year and made things a bit more difficult.

Alonso and Hamilton had similar years. Rued by issues usually outside of their control and didn't get the results needed when counted. They did great with inferior cars though.

Webber... I'm glad he didn't win it.

Why were you glad of that?

Vettel was at such a loss for words in the press conference. I bet he didn't even think that would happen!

And we go an entire season without the three newbs scoring any points.

Now I'm late for work.

Astrosdude91, out!

Roo
Want to go through my posts and find any that support Alonso?

If not, then you're just trolling.

Believe it or not I wasn't refering to you (although I thought you'd have realised)

Well, I certainly didn't expect that outcome.
I'm not a big fan of Vettel, I was hoping for Webber to clinch it, but well done nonetheless. He truly did earn that championship. Raced for every point he scored, and was miraculous in qualifying. Well deserved. 👍

I suppose the race itself would have been pretty boring if it weren't for all the circumstance and everything that was riding on the outcome... it was a bit of a parade, but purely due to the title implications I thought it was fascinating.

And 👎 to Alonso for the gestures to Petrov on the cool down lap. He was understandably frustrated, but he must realize he was racing the entire field and not just the title contenders today. Unprofessional.

I can understand that Alonso was frustrated. This championship was his to loose and unfortunately due to a decision by either him or the team he pitted too early and got stuck behind a team that would rather see their engines win. Congratulations to Vettel, great performance all year. I think Mark has been far more consistent in terms of race results but couldn't do it today unfortunately.
:lol: I think it was more down to Alonso being unable to pass Petrov than anything else...

Er, yes. Any other driver would whine about it, i'm sure, or complain.

Okay then, did you see Hamilton go to Kubica with the same reaction?
Did you see Webber go to Petrov or Alonso?
Did you see anything like that?

Well, Hamilton was well out of it ,and he knew it from the start. Alonso wasn't holding up Webber, and he was out of it too, and was just along for the ride.

Well, Hamilton was well out of it ,and he knew it from the start. Alonso wasn't holding up Webber, and he was out of it too, and was just along for the ride.

But Hamilton still had a chance to win it, regardless of your opinion or not, he still had a chance to win the championship until Vettel crossed that line

Regardless of the fact, Ferrari got it wrong, Alonso got it wrong and for one, I'm glad Vettel won the championship and I would have been just as glad if Hamilton or Webber would have won!

I'm pretty sure he was crying when the radio first cut to him.

He most definately was.

In response to some of the others complaining about Petrov holding up Alonso.

It's racing. They were on the same lap, both had something to race for. Just because you can't be overall victor means you should give in and say the hell with it and pull to the side to let someone by? No way.

Being world champion means passing when you need to pass, playing it safe when you need to preserve the car/tires, and driving like a champion when it's called for.

Alonso has managed some amazing results in the last couple races, but he simply could not pass Petrov, and anyone who condemns Petrov for that needs to realise that racing is just that, racing.

Bad strategy from Ferrari. Alonso was being a dick after the race.

I'm really happy for Vettel, brilliant driving and good strategy from RBR. @ interludes: he was crying in the car

Alonso has managed some amazing results in the last couple races, but he simply could not pass Petrov, and anyone who condemns Petrov for that needs to realise that racing is just that, racing.

Exactly, as a once great commentator once said, it's one thing to catch him, another to pass him and Alonso couldn't catch him and therefore couldn't pass him, end of!

:sly: That's not a fair comparison is it.

Every title contender had to crash before Hamilton could win. Webber had to pass a title contender (amongst others) to become champion. They were never in a winning position.

Alonso was the biggest favorite. 4th place would be enough. He's behind a (slower) car and there's just no way to pass it. It's Alonso who lost.

Anyone know the name of the song BBC used for the end of the show (with the credits)? It was pretty good :)

Thanks

Can we all just shut up about Hockenheim now and enjoy the end of what has been a very good year for F1? With Spygate, Crashgate, Liegate and the double-diff happening over the past few championships, that the biggest scandal of the year was a simple position swap (when those were hardly commented on in the last three seasons) is a God-send. Nothing to see here but racing, folks.

Webbo looks gutted as hell but he has nothing to be ashamed of, give him the equipment next year and I think he could win it and then retire as the world champion.

Thing is... Webber, like Rubens last season... has the equipment. The problem is... he's just no match for his team-mate in a straight up fight. Sometimes he gets close, others, he's all over the place.

-

Errh... think they're going to charge the Hamster for all the cameras he took out? Did he just say: "Sod it all, I'm not going to win this championship... I'm just going to set a record for most cameras wrecked in one race? "

-

I believe Alonso's outburst is about the blocking maneuvers Petrov pulled in the last few corners as Alonso was just 0.1 seconds behind him as they started that lap. Petrov pulled out to block him at each corner... but he had a right to do so... I didn't see any double-block moves... just clean driving.

Apparently Alonso doesn't feel the same way... :D

Alonso was out of it to, unless, after ~30 laps behind Petrov you acctully expected him to be able to catch and pass Kubica and Rosberg even if he did get pass Petrov.

Back