2010 Korean Grand Prix

You don't know what you're talking about. Compared to the Ferrari (what we are comparing here) they are not short on speed (Vettel is actually 2km/h faster than Alonso), but are slower (in terms of time) by a fair amount than the Ferrari in the first sector. Our argument here isn't about S2/S3 where the RB is by far the strongest - we are strictly talking about Sector 1.
Yes, but if you look at the sector times from practice and qualifying, Red Bull are keeping up with Ferrari. They might be a little slower, but Alonso is not going to simply cruise around them as if they were standing still. Their advantage is in S2 and S3, to be sure, but they're still staying in touch through the first sector.

Also, from the starting grid to turn 3 is a very long stretch - one defensive move doesn't mean a whole lot in that period of time.
But the leader isn't wiping the circuit clear, is he? Sure, he's clearing some of the dust, but the others will have to contend with it. And you're still assuming that Alonso will be the only driver challenging the Red Bulls - what if he's too busy fighting Hamilton to take on Vettel? After all, Hamilton has the active F-duct. What if Webber cuts right straight away and holds the inside line into the first corner, forcing Alonso wide? The Ferrari might have the speed advantage over the Red Bull, but it only really makes him a threat if the cars were going through a fast corner to begin with. Everybody has to accelerate from slow speed in the first corner, which means that it will take a bit of time for Alonso to get up to full speed on the long straight. His advantage will only come into effect at the end of the long straight.

Heavy rain expected from 09:00 throughout the morning until the race starts with humidity at high 88% and amount of cloud at 65%.

As I said in my earlier post, the rain will wash out all the rubbers and this is going to be very interesting! I'm pretty sure in wet condition, the ''off-camber'' turn will be very tricky, really really tricky!

Yes, but if you look at the sector times from practice and qualifying, Red Bull are keeping up with Ferrari. They might be a little slower, but Alonso is not going to simply cruise around them as if they were standing still. Their advantage is in S2 and S3, to be sure, but they're still staying in touch through the first sector..

All the more reason why Alonso is in a good position to challenge for the 1st position before turn 3. At the end of the day the RB's are slower than Alonso in Sector 1. The Ferrari is generally the quicker car off the grid at the start, and lastly Alonso will be on the clean side (although it may not be as much of an advantage as originally expected with the overnight rain) of the grid and will be able to use Vettel's slip stream (Vettel will not have the slipstream and will be forced to defend with basically no high speed turns in sight which would help his cause for over a mile). Which are once all good reasons why Alonso has a great oppurtunity to fight for the 1st position before turn 3 at the start.

But the leader isn't wiping the circuit clear, is he? Sure, he's clearing some of the dust, but the others will have to contend with it. And you're still assuming that Alonso will be the only driver challenging the Red Bulls - what if he's too busy fighting Hamilton to take on Vettel? After all, Hamilton has the active F-duct. What if Webber cuts right straight away and holds the inside line into the first corner, forcing Alonso wide? The Ferrari might have the speed advantage over the Red Bull, but it only really makes him a threat if the cars were going through a fast corner to begin with. Everybody has to accelerate from slow speed in the first corner, which means that it will take a bit of time for Alonso to get up to full speed on the long straight. His advantage will only come into effect at the end of the long straight.

Wow - I take it you don't like taking into account facts that I've written in my post, do you. How many times have I now stated that RB have a slight trap speed advantage over Alonso? Do you comprehend this? Also, despite the fact that the Ferrari is one of the slowest cars in the traps, it is making up a lot of time in Sector 1 in braking and in the early application of power exiting turn 1which counteracts your point (that some advantage of the Ferrari will only be seen at the end of the straight - which is completely false).

And yes anything can happen (Rosberg and Hamilton have good trap speeds and are about equal with the RB through S1), but the general concesous is that Alonso has a good shot to challenge for P1 by turn 3 (given Ferrari's strengths and good position I mentioned before).

Heavy rain expected from 09:00 throughout the morning until the race starts with humidity at high 88% and amount of cloud at 65%.

As I said in my earlier post, the rain will wash out all the rubbers and this is going to be very interesting! I'm pretty sure in wet condition, the ''off-camber'' turn will be very tricky, really really tricky!

Sounds as though mother nature is looking to switch up this championship until the very last race

Wow - I take it you don't like taking into account facts that I've written in my post, do you. How many times have I now stated that RB have a slight trap speed advantage over Alonso? Do you comprehend this?
Red Bull drivers have 10kp/h speed deficit on straights.

Your fundamental argument seems to be that Red Bull will not be fast enough to fend off Alonso. Yet you claim that they have a speed advantage, which contradicts everything you've said.

Red Bull drivers have 10kp/h speed deficit on straights.

Your fundamental argument seems to be that Red Bull will not be fast enough to fend off Alonso. Yet you claim that they have a speed advantage, which contradicts everything you've said.

Nice try, except trap speeds in practice mean NOTHING. The meaningful data is from qualy where the cars are in parc ferme afterwards. I'm suprised you didn't take this into account :odd:

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/840/6800/speed_trap.html

Vettel: 315.6
Webber: 313.4
Alonso: 313.3

Now that you've been corrected with facts, you can ignore me as usual.

This is going to make the race REALLY interesting. I can see it being very hazardous though too. Plenty of crashes in the future

Things could be quite chaotic on such a greasy track :scared: Not to mention figuring out the proper strategy as well.

Sounds like Ferrari got Alonso's water leak repaired just in time.

Awfully wet out there... from the weather outside my window, you'd think those storm clouds covered the whole fricking Pacific rim...

10 Minute delay? Nooo... (Blame the rain). Now the race will start with the safety car, to Red Bull's advantage.

Last edited:
The race will be started behind the safety car, it's a bit of a let down but I guess safety first.

Awfully wet out there... from the weather outside my window, you'd think those storm clouds covered the whole fricking Pacific rim...

So, does Webber fancy revenge for Fuji 07?:lol:

red flag- Bunch of women. Stay out and at race speed you'll get a dryer line.

Its an interesting situation.

The cars need to go fast to work the aero kit properly. But they can't go too fast to exceed their car's tyre grip....difficult choice.

Its an interesting situation.

The cars need to go fast to work the aero kit properly. But they can't go too fast to exceed their car's tyre grip....difficult choice.

I think theres alot to do with visibility as well. hard to see whats a few metres ahead.

Facepalm.jpg at Legard.

"The Korean Gand Prix is underway!! Vettel leads into the first turn! Followed by, Webber, then Alonso, then Hamilton..."

I think theres alot to do with visibility as well. hard to see whats a few metres ahead.

Yes, I would agree with that statement. Just a bit annoying in a strange way. In the past, there has been races in conditions like these, 1996 Japan race and so on.

Mind you, not in a very new track, so I do not know if that has an effect on the driver's and steward's decisions.

If the race runs for 42 laps (Or 75% of the race), then full points will be awarded. If not, then it's half points, such as Kuala Lumpur '09.

Back