2012 Formula One United States Grand Prix

I heard the HRTs were losing 2 seconds per lap in the first sector - how the hell did they stay within the 107% rule?!

Well... wow.

Great race - at least 9,571,287% better than I was expecting. And the driver of the day was... everyone except Nico Rosberg.

Everyone (except Nico Rosberg) made that a great race - even the two retirees. Really good racing, lots of (clean) overtaking... Really good stuff.

I was going by live text updates, what did Nico do?

Luminis
Also, let's not forget that Vettel's car never, ever fails.

Not at all. He probably just keeps pressing the "eject alternator" button on the steering wheel. He did warn his engineer that it was a little too close to the "glee soundtrack" button.
Alonso's car, on the other hand, fails every race. If you look closely, you can see his feet moving the car ala Fred Flintstone.

I have no idea what you're getting at. You're just overlooking the facts.

Me?

Fastest in all sessions, including race. Fact.

Lost 1st under 'some' traffic and DRS. Fact.

Why didn't he fight back with DRS and the fastest car on his side?

Now that Texan hat is much more appropriate on Mario Andretti's head.

Looks like Vettels outburst on the radio was about Kartikeyan holding him up..

So quick question: does anyone know what Alonso needs to do to win the championship, other than a good bit of luck?

You mean apart from being fastest in FP1, FP2, FP3, Quali and fastest lap in the race?

Nothing, I made that statement based on no information what so ever.

Single lap pace is not the same as race pace and may I remind you Hamilton was only a tenth behind Vettel in Quali. Also maybe you should watch FP more often and take in what is happening, the long runs, and not just the outright fastest laps.

As for fastest lap in the race he and Hamilton traded fastest laps throughout the race, Vettel just ended with the best one. Hamilton could have easily ended with the fastest lap. Oh and Massa was only a tenth behind Vettel in fastest laps which shows you how irrelevant that is.

To say Vettel had the outright fastest car in that race is ridiculous, it was quite clear that he and Hamilton were very similar all race. Neither pulled away from the other.

So quick question: does anyone know what Alonso needs to do to win the championship, other than a good bit of luck?

Gain 14 points on Vettel.

If Alonso wins Vettel can't place higher than 5th. If Alonso is 2nd then Vettel no higher than 8th or 3rd and Vettel no higher than 10th.

Luck will be the deciding factor at Interlagos. Alonso needs to overhaul Vettels 13 points and still have enough to counter whatever Vettel earns in that race. Alonso needs to place first or second, nothing else will do. And after that, if he places first, Vettel will need to place fourth or higher for Alonso to seal it. If Vettel gets third I believe the points tally will become equal and Vettel will take it on race wins. If Alonso places second Vettel will need at least 5 points to take the title (I think).

Couple that with the fact its Interlagos, and it'll certainly be an incredible race. But if Alonso wants that title, it's gonna take a lot of work and a lot of luck.

Tree'd.

Single lap pace is not the same as race pace and may I remind you Hamilton was only a tenth behind Vettel in Quali. Also maybe you should watch FP more often and take in what is happening, the long runs, and not just the outright fastest laps.

As for fastest lap in the race he and Hamilton traded fastest laps throughout the race, Vettel just ended with the best one. Hamilton could have easily ended with the fastest lap.

To say Vettel had the outright fastest car in that race is ridiculous, it was quite clear that he and Hamilton were very similar all race. Neither pulled away from the other.

He was still behind which means he was slower.

Who was fasted in FP on the long runs? Hamilton? Yes, did Seb have a problem which limited his running? Yes. Yet he was still 2nd fastest

Fastest is fastest and that was Seb and RedBull

If Vettel fails to score or finishes 10th Alonso needs to finish 3rd or better.
If Vettel finishes 8th or 9th Alonso needs to finish 2nd or higher.
If Vettel finishes 5th, 6th or 7th Alonso needs to win.
If Vettel finished 4th or higher he wins.

He was still behind which means he was slower.

Seriously? I mean, really? That is how you decide which car is faster? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hamilton did great.

Vettel DID GOOD.

He had the fastest car, got beat but made the best of it for the championship.

Now if only he and his fanboys could see that, and cherish this GOOD result instead of finding excuses for him not winning...

(he actually admitted there was no point in attacking in the podium interview)

Last edited:
Now if only he and his fanboys could see that, and cherish this GOOD result instead of finding excuses for him not winning...
That's the case, pretty much.

It's just annoying to see the Hamilton/Alonso fanboys act as if his performance was utterly horrible - as well as the usual "it's all just RBR's car" implications.

Back