2012 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 624 comments
MUSC4EVER
Has anyone noticed that Simon Lazenby has an ipad in his hand before the race and a notepad in his hand after the race!!:lol:

I've noticed that, he probably gave it back to Jake once the race started.

@ghskill
That's why you should watch streams!!!

Woo!!! Kamui really put that one in, so awesome. I was biting my nails with a bad stomach ache I was so nervous with Button catching up toward the end. Such an awesome effort. The crowd was so amazing as well. This is when F1's really magical to me.

Vettel did an awesome job with the win, Suzuka really belong to him and RB, the car's practically made for it and Vettel's style suits it almost perfectly (except for the exit of spoon, which I don't think any driver ever hits the exact same way lap to lap).

Too bad Alonso got himself out like. It does make up for Vettel's retirements though, so I'm really hoping both him and Vettel stay out of trouble for the rest of the season and we can actually have ourselves a real shoot out again.

I'll just point out I didn't say he "ruined" the championship, just made it more predictable. :)

Vettel ruined nothing. He had absolutely nothing to do with that incident.

Vettel wasn't going to win Valencia anyway, I don't know why a lot of people can't see that.

Before that safety car, he was untouchable. Prove otherwise.

Ugh. Terrible director

I know. I was going crazy at the tv. By the time he changed back to Kobayashi and Button had already crossed the line.

Too bad Alonso got himself out like...

futurama-fry-not-sure-if.jpg

So they cut the interview and now we're stuck with Off-road racing... back to recordings of Top Gear.

Speed, ya done goofed.

Clearly. Come to Canada. You can watch TSN. :lol:

I am really happy... And ready to go to sleep. Goodnight GTPlanet. Congrats again to Kamui.

Vettel ruined nothing. He had absolutely nothing to do with that incident.

Haven't we established this already? He made it more predictable, you put quotes around "ruined" implying I said he ruined the championship, I didn't, and I was saying he made it more predictable. I also said he didn't cause the incident. Now let's cut the pointless argument please?

It wasn't Kimi's fault at all. Alonso didn't give him enough room on the outside. It's Alonso's own fault unfortunately.

Who said it was Kimi's fault? He had a cars width, don't forget it was at the start as well, space is at a premium. Kimi put a wheel on the grass, lost a yard or two of braking and nicked Alonso's rear tyre, who then spun off. No one got ploughed into or squeezed them totally off the track. An unfortunate incident.

It wasn't Kimi's fault at all. Alonso didn't give him enough room on the outside. It's Alonso's own fault unfortunately.

How was he supposed to give him room? He had Button on his right, was he supposed to drive into him?

Haven't we established this already? He made it more predictable, you put quotes around "ruined" implying I said he ruined the championship, I didn't, and I was saying he made it more predictable. I also said he didn't cause the incident. Now let's cut the pointless argument please?

Gee, Vettel, thanks for making the end of the season anti-climactic. :grumpy: 👎

This implies that it was Vettel's fault. It wasn't. You wrote it. Not me. When I originally responded to this, I was just pointing that out. But some people (not you) had to take that out of context.

I'd like to refer to my post from a few races back. "It doesn't matter what Vettel does. Win or lose, people will still find reasons to have a go at him".

To be fair, this year the title is more in the balance than last year. If Alonso or Vettel was 80 points clear feel free to moan, not 4!

I'd like to refer to my post from a few races back. "It doesn't matter what Vettel does. Win or lose, people will still find reasons to have a go at him".

I don't think people have a problem with him when he doesn't win, well, at least I don't. I just get tired of his lights-flag victory, starting from pole, facing no competition throughout the whole race. If Vettel had fought for his victory here, I would have no issue. Then again, it's not his fault the Red Bull is so damn perfect here.

To be fair, this year the title is more in the balance than last year. If Alonso or Vettel was 80 points clear feel free to moan, not 4!

Given Vettel's recent performance, I'd rather have the 29 point gap. Had he won every race from Korea to the USGP, with Alonso at second place at these races, the points gap would be ONE point by Brazil. Alonso's car is just not as good as the Red Bull. You might as well say Vettel won the championship already.

Who said it was Kimi's fault? He had a cars width, don't forget it was at the start as well, space is at a premium. Kimi put a wheel on the grass, lost a yard or two of braking and nicked Alonso's rear tyre, who then spun off. No one got ploughed into or squeezed them totally off the track. An unfortunate incident.

How was he supposed to give him room? He had Button on his right, was he supposed to drive into him?

It was Alonso who was changing his line a bit all the time and hit Kimi, who kept his line and was almost out of the track. But yeah, nothing to penalize there, both were doing their thing.

After another look at the replay I believe Alonso was looking at something else (must have been sure Kimi was completely behind him) and caused his own troubles. He may have braked too. It was unfortunate, that's all I said.

Woooo!!! What a race! What a dream podium! Maybe not a classic in terms of overtaking, but the result more than makes up for it. It got my heart racing and I started sweating from excessively cheering on Felipe and Kamui. I won't be able to fall asleep now. :D

Vettel 👍
Massa 👍👍👍 :D
Koba 👍👍👍 :D

With Nishikori winning in Tokyo, it's turning out to be quite a day for Japanese sports.
I also expect Pastoru Makudonarudo to do well this week and score points.
Good work from Pastor, kept it clean and scored his first points since Spain.

Nice drive also from Hulkenberg, had a great start, showed good pace and was unfortunate to have been held up by Lewis and Kimi at various parts of the race. Good recovery drives from Webber and Schumacher as well. After the safety car (and apart from Perez' blunder), it was a very clean race, good job from all the drivers. 👍

AHH! THE PODIUM INTERVIEW! BURN IT WITH FIRE!

Anyway,

Räikkönen: I don't understand what he was trying to do on the outside of Alonso.
Grosjean: Seriously? I think that's the worst move he have done all season.
Perez: Everyone make mistakes, but I guess it's a good thing that the contract is already signed... :)
Massa: I'm neutral about Massa, but it's good to see him on the podium. However, it's a shame that he have been brainwashed by the golden boy and Ferrari.
Kobayashi: I'm so happy for him! A great drive by him. He was so awesomely awkward on the podium, trying to learn how to spray champagne while the others were lining up for the podium shot.
Vettel: Oh Vettel and his statistics. Making sure he's in the lead after his pit stops and making his team nervous at the end to make sure he got the fastest lap. It should be his second Grand Chelem. Interestingly, first back-to-back winner this season.

Vettel wasn't going to win Valencia anyway, I don't know why a lot of people can't see that.
Please enlighten me why.

Last edited:
DOTR: Vettel, Massa, Kamui, Button, Schumi, Webber
LOTR: Perez, Hamilton, Rosberg

Last edited:
I don't think people have a problem with him when he doesn't win, well, at least I don't. I just get tired of his lights-flag victory, starting from pole, facing no competition throughout the whole race. If Vettel had fought for his victory here, I would have no issue. Then again, it's not his fault the Red Bull is so damn perfect here.

Vettel + Red Bull + Technical circuit = Vettel win.

There are no gimmes in F1, he gets the job done, pole on Saturday, easy win and fastest lap on Sunday. It's not his fault he is perfectly suited to the car or vice versa. It is his fault he is exceptional though.

What is this Grand Chelem? a few people have mentioned it, i dont understand?

What is this Grand Chelem? a few people have mentioned it, i dont understand?

Pole. Win. Fastest lap. Led every lap.

I think it's interesting that the driver that actually learned something from the one race ban is Maldonado, not Grosjean.

MrMelancholy15
Seriously, Vettel must've flipped 🤬 upon hearing that Alyawnso was out.

No need for those rubbish nicknames, just call him Alonso. Because, frankly, your Alyawnso referal in each and every one of your posts is starting to annoy me.

Pickham to Koba: 'have a good time tonight, enjoy it!

Koba: 'thank you and you? (winks) do you party?, are going to come over?

Pinkham: 'we might do!'

Koba is a dark horse!!:lol:

Get in there, great result for Hamilton considering he started ninth and said that the setup was useless and Kamui got a 3rd to which was nice. We have almost come to expect an incident involving Grosjean whenever he qualifies well, Pastor seems to crash because he's aggressive so he could change, where as Grosjean seems to crash because he has very poor awareness.

My thoughts:

Vettel - Faultless. Pole, win, and fastest lap (I think?). I still find him fairly tedious to watch, but has to get driver of the day.

Massa - Dead pleased to see him up on the podium, even if he... err... "shot his load" a bit early with the champagne. Still, it'd been a while...

Kobayashi - Even more pleased to see him get third. Much as I wanted Button to get a podium too, on balance it brought a smile to my face. Nice pass on... someone (I forget) into the hairpin too, just like Perez. Let's hope he gets a drive next year.

Others

Button - Fairly fuss-free race despite gearbox maladies. Solid points, but really I expect he's backed off on the championship challenge now. Potential to pick up a win here or there in the next few. Were it not for his grid penalty, he might have got a 2nd place today.

Hamilton - Didn't get much TV time, but not a hugely strong race.

Webber - Good fight-back. Losing interest in him though - despite early-season promise he just doesn't have the same speed that Vettel does.

Grosjean - Probably needs another short holiday as Webber suggested, though while he deserved his penalty, I got the feeling Webber was maybe being a little too cautious through that corner and it probably took Romain by surprise.

Kimi - Some great racing again, but average result.

Perez - Unlucky to go off. Really enjoyed his pass on Hamilton. The kid has talent.

Alonso - Horribly unlucky. Gave Kimi the squeeze unsighted, and from that point he was a victim of his own move. But I'd hate to see all that early season work go up in smoke due to unlucky first corners here and in Spa.

Schumacher - Once again proving he has some racing talent left. Unfortunately I don't see him getting a win in the remainder of the year though, which is a shame.

Race overall? A bit dull, sadly. The Saubers brightened it up for a while but after the first corner it was a bit slow.

That race was almost unbearable at the end watching Button vs Kobayashi! A tenth going either way each lap, sector by sector. Just awesome to finally see Kamui get that podium - with the crowd chanting his name. Its great to see that anywhere - I hope the same happens for Massa at Brazil.

I was also quite impressed once again with Ricciardo in this race, I think its easy to miss that what with the podium results but he drove another great race to pick up valuable points that are pretty hard to come by in that car. He's making Vergne look very ordinary.

Championship getting close again, Vettel looking likely to take a 3rd-straight title....

Back