2014 Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix

Vitaly 👍

Boring race but I don't think it was the track at fault, just shook out that way.

Nice result for Button though was really hoping for a podium. Seems less certainty about Alonso for next year so hoping JB's position is secure.

There are no decent alternatives, other than Sky really, and since I'm not willing to pay this much for good TV broadcasts, there aren't really a whole lot.
There are quite a few, that will probably (at least) heard of RTL and I'm really just posting this, because there wasn't really a whole lot to discuss and talk about the race.

So again, if you don't like my comments, that's fine, ignore them. But that's not going to stop me from posting about it, only if a mod would tell me to stop.
Could you stop with your "if you don't like my comments ingore them" blablabla?
I just said once something on a comment from you and that only because this thread isn't about "How happy are you with your broadcast?". If you don't want to pay for "good" TV, don't complain about what you get for free.

To the race:
I think it was a quite average F1 race. Only real difference today was that we had the action at the start of the race and not like usually at the end.
I'm not so sure if this track will be a good addition to the F1 calendar.

Boring race but I don't think it was the track at fault, just shook out that way.

Indeed. When there were actual fights for position, it was pretty good. The problem, really, is the low tire wear and durable tire choices put everyone on very long runs, which isn't good for mixing the field up for overtaking.

If one driver can do virtually the entire race on one set of tires, then there's something wrong with the tire choices.

Paying attention to the details... Putin keeping a hawklike watch over the weigh-in, to make sure no cheating is going on...
55230562.jpg

Who's that interviewer?
They said on BBC that it was one of the Russian broadcasters.
Dull race because of the tyre compounds they were given. If they come back next year with the soft/super softs, then it might be OK.

Well, considering Rosberg ran Bottas off the road on that last overtake (arguably legal, but naughtly), I don't think he's the one who will be getting nervous in such a situation.

Anyone remember the Magnussen/Bottas incident at Monza (i think)? I don't see a whole lot of difference from this. Exept the rookie got penalized..

The opening 2 laps were great but the rest of the race was a Valancia circuit type race, a snooze fest. I blame those super sharp corners spreading the cars out.

Did you consider the double points for the last race?
Yes.

He's 17 ahead now and if he wins again it will be 24 points. Then Nico wins and that puts it down to 17 again and then for the final Nico wins and Lewis finishes 2nd and Lewis will lose 14 points to him and win by 3 points.

... and a lesson that F1 really is all about tyre degradation now.

Hopefully that changes next year if they don't freeze the engines during the season. To me rule that has had the most detrimental effect on this years championship.

I thought the race was ok.

Oh, congratulations Mercedes!

So, I thought Pirelli were told to make tyres that couldn't last an entire race. Rosberg sure had an interesting backup strategy.

Fell asleep during the last 15 minutes or so. Wow, couldn't believe Rosberg actually climbed all the way back to 2nd. May have had the pole if he hadn't been so intent on diving into the first corner.

I bet Putin was delighted that a Brit won his race! :lol:
Yeah, Crimea river will ya! :P

This was a race like the old days thanks to the wrong choice of tyres. That's a race that cried out for higher degradation. I wonder if Nico would have managed 2nd if there had been 2 or 3 stops?

Back