2014 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix

I can only imagine what would have happened if rain did come into play near the end. And it was a far less engaging affair compared to Australia even when Vettel wasn't the one dominating. Mercedes are continuing to set the pace this season.

Way late on this one.. Hamilton's helmet is no longer a vague resemblance of Senna's. Guessing that's to do with Mercedes' new helmet theme this season.

So people are ok with domination because it's someone new? Don't you guys tune in for, you know, a race? Domination is domination, it'll always be boring.

That isn't my only concern though, there was hardly any action through the whole grid, everyone spending the whole race fuel saving and cruising. Not exciting for me.

Mercedes dominance, mind, will be bad for the sport. Better if Red Bull or McLaren can mount a good challenge. As it is, doesn't look likely... not unless Red Bull find another fifty... errh... legal... horsepower somewhere.

-

Only happy for Hammy because he had rotten luck last race. Next race, I hope there'll be more action.

Is it again Brawn GP era? A huge advantage for couple of first races... Will shall see.
(as referring to the Tire testing)

But thoughts from the race...

I can't point out driver of the day, but perhaps Alonso or Hulkenberg.
I found that Hamilton started to be a little bit bored an the end.

But the season has just started, no need to (yet) get cranky.. :)

Hulk! Was hoping he could hold off Alonso, but his tires were way too old. Good race by Vettel to keep Rosberg honest at points, and shows that if the Renault engine wasn't 🤬 Red Bull could be right up there with Mercedes.

This is just as bad as the Vettel dominance last season, almost more so. At least Vettel was pushing, you get the sense the Mercs aren't even trying. It sucks to see Vettel and Alonso struggling simply because their engines aren't powerful enough, the sport is much better with them fighting at the front.

So people are ok with domination because it's someone new? Don't you guys tune in for, you know, a race?
I'm not even mad when Vettel is dominating the championship. So with other racer taking the helm..I don't mind either but together with that, I need a real race too. Something that improving such at slow rate but still, we get some rather than don't. Imo.

EDIT: Oh, Cucumberbatch is doing the interview. Lol.

Mercedes dominance, mind, will be bad for the sport. Better if Red Bull or McLaren can mount a good challenge. As it is, doesn't look likely... not unless Red Bull find another fifty... errh... legal... horsepower somewhere.

I thought it was a shame that McLaren couldn't come close to matching their previous result this weekend.

Their car may not be as strong as the AMG Merc, but they should at least be giving Red Bull a run for their money again.

Why are people talking about Merc and tyres? The domination is nothing to do with tyres, they're all wearing them at pretty much the same rate.

Oh come on boys, knock off the PR Robot routine. PETRONAS ROCKS!!!!!

So people are ok with domination because it's someone new? Don't you guys tune in for, you know, a race? Domination is domination, it'll always be boring.

Only if it's McLaren. Still, the season's early yet.

So, Red Bull has their team in England, but the anthem played for them is Austrian due to Red Bull being based there.

Why doesn't Mercedes get the German anthem?

I thought it was a shame that McLaren couldn't come close to matching their previous results this weekend.

I was disappointed as well I feel K Mag might have had a chance if he didn't have the broken wing and penalty.

So, Red Bull has their team in England, but the anthem played for them is Austrian due to Red Bull being based there.

They did didn't they? It sounded like the same one I've heard over and over the past 4-5 years...:(

It's up to the team to register under the country of their choosing. RBR registered as Austrian, Mercedes as British. Or are they? Didn't pay attention to anthems but point still stands, teams register the team under country of their choice.

its new and fresh and you dont really know what to expect.
Even if mercedes continue to dominate there is hope, something i think a lot of people have lost during redbull era.

Because somehow a tire test done with a different, incomplete build of the tires, with a completely different engine on a chassis with different aerodynamics, in which Pirelli didn't share any telemetry data, somehow applies to this season's results.

:D

And it's nothing to do with the Mercedes factory team having the most powerful engine in a car that was comfortably second fastest last season.

I thought it was a shame that McLaren couldn't come close to matching their previous results this weekend. Their car may not be as strong as the AMG Merc, but they should at least be giving Red Bull a run for their money again.

Button just doesn't have the qualifying chops. Maybe by midseason if KM's potential from the last race plays out. Maybe.

Well that was exciting.Not.

Hey, Nico could've dropped his iPod... and then Vettel would have passed him for sure.

Even if mercedes continue to dominate there is hope, something i think a lot of people have lost during redbull era.
New and fresh would be if drivers were battling for the lead throughout the race. I'd prefer that would happen without DRS though...

But, with the new regulations, I don't see constant battles happening because it would only put teams at risk of running out/going over fuel flow limits. In a way, it's cool that they are pushing technology, but it takes away from the racing action.

I know exactly what to expect, Mercedes winning. It's only new in the car doing the winning and as a neutral it makes no difference to me. I want to see racing.

They did get the German anthem. The first British anthem is for the driver.

That isn't my only concern though, there was hardly any action through the whole grid, everyone spending the whole race fuel saving and cruising. Not exciting for me.

How long have you watched F1? Domination by a team in any particular season is normal. Multiple team competing is unusual. (Welcome but still unusual).

Last edited:
Back