2014 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix

I see what you did there with that Ferrari comment, oh you sly dog. (For those not aware HKS is a massive Ferrari fan/supporter.)

I honestly had no idea. :D

Seriously, wasn't thinking about it at the time... whenever I see Marlboro on a helmet, I automatically think it's a reference to McLaren-Honda.

Hamilton's fastest lap was a long way ahead of his teammate.

That doesn't really mean much, Rosberg wasn't close enough to Hamilton to launch an attack, and he had a comfortable gap back to Vettel. I doubt he was worrying too much about fastest lap because of that and was cruising at the end.

Ricciardo gets a 10 grid penalty next race as well , man Aussies have no luck it seems
Way to kick a guy when he is down. Botched pitstop costs him a lap. Then he gets a penalty for it, because losing a whole lap wasnt a penalty at all :rolleyes:. THEN, a grid penalty for the next race? How many times can the poor bloke be penalised for something he didnt have control of. The car didn't even rejoin the race track proper after the release.

That doesn't really mean much, Rosberg wasn't close enough to Hamilton to launch an attack, and he had a comfortable gap back to Vettel. I doubt he was worrying too much about fastest lap because of that and was cruising at the end.

How do you figure? two pit stops he made and Vettel ended up right back on his rear and thus Nico had to do several fast laps to open that gap up. Surely as he said himself, Lewis was faster than him this GP especially. Lewis was on another level than the rest. However, I would fast laps don't mean diddly since I've seen plenty of mid tier teams smash and get fast lap end of the race on new tires and light fuel so....

Way to kick a guy when he is down. Botched pitstop costs him a lap. Then he gets a penalty for it, because losing a whole lap wasnt a penalty at all :rolleyes:. THEN, a grid penalty for the next race? How many times can the poor bloke be penalised for something he didnt have control of. The car didn't even rejoin the race track proper after the release.

Exactly and on top of that he had to retire and get his front wing replaced before doing so. His race was destroyed and yet that somehow isn't enough...however these are how the rules run, so the FIA gets to basically double punish you even if you as a driver aren't in control of the events that happen.

I'd say penalty points toward a team that could ultimately hurt their constructor points at the end of the year for stupid things like that, is what should be done.

Last edited:
Rosberg still somehow full of energy after the race lol

WellmadeTediousAztecant.gif

That was my thought as well.

I'm not sure that giving someone a penalty when they haven't even left pit lane is sensible. Having to get pushed back and rejacked is more penalty than a ten second drive through, and the safety risk is minimal at pit lane speeds with everyone aware that they're in a danger zone.

The guy already got screwed. Ten second drive through is rubbing it in, and grid penalty is just malicious. I mean, if they want to slow pit stops down there's better ways than that.

How do you figure? two pit stops he made and Vettel ended up right back on his rear and thus Nico had to do several fast laps to open that gap up. Surely as he said himself, Lewis was faster than him this GP especially. Lewis was on another level than the rest. However, I would fast laps don't mean diddly since I've seen plenty of mid tier teams smash and get fast lap end of the race on new tires and light fuel so....

I was just saying don't read too much into it. At the end he had a 7 second gap back to Vettel, all he had to do was manage that and match Vettel's pace. He didn't need to push.

He may well have been pushing to keep that gap yes, but since we don't know there's not much point in reading too much into a couple of stats.

Last edited:
Vettel and sometimes Daniel were able to match the pace of the Mercs in the first 2 stints of the race but it seemed like the Mercs just turnt up the power after that , it was quite interesting .

Also Alonso seemed to be able to match the above 4's pace at the middle and end of his stints , he couldnt get those super fast laps like the above 4 in the first lets say 1 - 4 laps of each stints .

Im glad its a short wait til next race , I love back to back weekends.

The harsh punishment is there to make sure teams do the pit stops very very carefully to ensure safetiness for all the people in the pitlane.

The car didn't even rejoin the race track proper after the release.
I'm not sure that giving someone a penalty when they haven't even left pit lane is sensible. Having to get pushed back and rejacked is more penalty than a ten second drive through, and the safety risk is minimal at pit lane speeds with everyone aware that they're in a danger zone.
Short memories there. It was only last year that someone in the pitlane received a broken collarbone and broken ribs from being hit by a wheel that wasn't secured properly. The penalty is there, and severe, to prevent things like that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23218404

The wheel stayed on in this instance, but it may not have...

shame about ricciardo, can see him bothering vettel here n there throughout this season, happy for lewis though, probably the best on the grid currently, yet so little to show for it

Really happy to see both Williams cars up there. They really seem to have a very good pace in the dry. Makes me wonder what result they might have gotten had qualifying been dry as well.

I was just saying don't read too much into it. At the end he had a 7 second gap back to Vettel, all he had to do was manage that and match Vettel's pace. He didn't need to push.

He may well have been pushing to keep that gap yes, but since we don't know there's not much point in reading too much into a couple of stats.

How do we not know? He was pushing at points because his race engineer told him to push to create a gap for the next row of pitstops to prevent undercut that Alonso almost suffered from with the FI. The fact that Lewis consistently walked away from Rosberg and knocked out fast lap after fast lap in the first stint while maintaining better tire and car control (because Rosberg even expressed his struggles) further proves that Hamilton had the speed beyond him even if he didn't go fast lap.

However, if you want I can get the full lap flow chart and prove this to you better? At the end of the day I still agreed with and proved you right that a single fast lap in the race doesn't prove anything. However multiple strings of said laps do.

You call yourself a F1 expert right? Have you heard Matesichtz and Marko opinion about this fuel thing, and fuel limitations in F1? "It's not good for our marketing" they said.
Well when it's "RedBull gives you wings" and not "Redbull makes you save fuel" they are kind of true from this point of view.
The fuel flow has nothing to do with fuel savings, the reduced fuel load is the only thing enforcing a efficiency strategy. Strange how no-one complains when WEC has fuel tank cuts and enforcement of efficiency. It being an endurance series does not invalidate the point...

The fuel flow meter's sole purpose is to restrict engine output powers and boost pressures. According to Niki Lauda, the unrestricted Mercedes engine could easily surpass the 1200hp marker. Red Bull are making such a fuss about the faulty flow meter because it reduces the engine power if readings are off, and FIA want to ensure nobody gains extra power to fuel flow.

What I found a very interesting graphic where the "used fuel %" they showed in the race. You could see that DR's Red Bull was on the top of the standings there both times it was shown, Vettel being second, and the Mercs the most efficient. I'll have to check if these stats can be viewed anytime during the race, makes the race more interesting knowing this stuff.

I thought it was a good race, not much action at the front but plenty down the pack with some good battles

People on here seem to think it'll be one team or/driver dominating this season like in previous seasons but we have only had two races and there's still a very long way to go yet...

The fuel flow has nothing to do with fuel savings, the reduced fuel load is the only thing enforcing a efficiency strategy. Strange how no-one complains when WEC has fuel tank cuts and enforcement of efficiency. It being an endurance series does not invalidate the point...

The fuel flow meter's sole purpose is to restrict engine output powers and boost pressures. According to Niki Lauda, the unrestricted Mercedes engine could easily surpass the 1200hp marker. Red Bull are making such a fuss about the faulty flow meter because it reduces the engine power if readings are off, and FIA want to ensure nobody gains extra power to fuel flow.

What I found a very interesting graphic where the "used fuel %" they showed in the race. You could see that DR's Red Bull was on the top of the standings there both times it was shown, Vettel being second, and the Mercs the most efficient. I'll have to check if these stats can be viewed anytime during the race, makes the race more interesting knowing this stuff.

Don't say the last part around here, or anywhere with main stay F1 fans. I enjoy the graphic and agree with you but everyone else seems to think it's a lame numbers watching game. I guess some people don't appreciate the technical side of it all.

I agree. It also showed just how little the Mercedes' were pushing, which is interesting in itself. Not good for neutrals, but interesting.

Short memories there. It was only last year that someone in the pitlane received a broken collarbone and broken ribs from being hit by a wheel that wasn't secured properly. The penalty is there, and severe, to prevent things like that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23218404

The wheel stayed on in this instance, but it may not have...
Fair enough, but it seems a bit unfair to punish the driver twice. Team error - team penalty - such as a (big) fine, or constructor point deductions. If the driver is to be penalised, at least have it for something he did wrong.
So far, in two races, Ricciardo has a DQ, a stop/go and a grid penalty, yet done nothing wrong himself.

Fair enough, but it seems a bit unfair to punish the driver twice. Team error - team penalty - such as a (big) fine, or constructor point deductions. If the driver is to be penalised, at least have it for something he did wrong.
So far, in two races, Ricciardo has a DQ, a stop/go and a grid penalty, yet done nothing wrong himself.
You're forgetting it's a team sport, and the team are punished for the drivers errors also.

The fact is an unsafe release is unsafe. It's not cheating or bad competition, it's a genuine threat to someone's health and possibly life.

Further points to DR being Red Bull's test for how far they can push the fuel maps and stay legal.

----

I would love to see a 1,200 horsepower 2014 car. Pretty please? Can you imagine the thunder and fury of those turbocharged beasts ripping up Monza with that much power?

Okay... more silent fury, but still...

I don't consider any team sabotaging their own car on purpose a possibility, no.

You don't know Horner and Newey and you have zero evidence of anything but coincidence and bad luck.

I've said this over previous seasons, as well, like when people proposed that Red Bull sabotaged Webber's car. Red Bull get paid by how well they do in the constructors' championship while getting absolutely nothing for the drivers' championship, so it makes absolutely no sense to take points from themselves on purpose.

I would love to see a 1,200 horsepower 2014 car. Pretty please? Can you imagine the thunder and fury of those turbocharged beasts ripping up Monza with that much power?

Okay... more silent fury, but still...

Final race of the season, along with the double points, when saving engines for later doesn't matter, they should be aloud to run their engines unrestricted. Sort the men from the boys.

Back