2014 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

Rosberg stuffed it up again... bad mistakes on those last two laps, the first of which would have easily been second or maybe pole (faster than Hamilton through 2 sectors). Could be his Bahrain failure creeping into his head.

Absolutely incredible rain driving from Hamilton. I wonder how close Rosberg would have been if he didn't spin.

Well the timing and scoring showed Lewis jumping a .15 up on the first sector over Rosberg, Ric, and Vettel and his fastest region was S3 over all of them, that's where he made the most of his time on each lap. So...I don't think Rosberg would have had a shot in the wet, and he was struggling the entire time even though he put him some good times.

@SagarisGTB but that was the only sector he was fastest in and even if he didn't lock up he would have only had P1 for a moment. Thus Lewis would have smashed his lap still.

Rosberg needs to pace himself mentally. The season has just started, things can change and what you need is not poles but patience.

Exactly, even if he couldn't have got pole, he could have easily got P2 and that would be enough to keep Lewis in his sights. Now he has to make an great start more so then he would have on the front row just to keep up with his team mate let alone pass him.

Did Vettel run wide? Would not have picked Ricciardo to outqualify him after Q1 and Q2.

A pretty ordinary result from Rosberg. After Bahrain and this qualifying session it's quite clear to see who the championship favourite is.

Both Red Bulls ahead of Rosberg? I didn't see that coming. And Perez goes from Bahrain hero to China zero, down in 16th while his teammate is up in 8th.

Forgot what time it was. Turned on the TV, finally, to see Ricciardo 2nd in qualifying...

Dear Lord, that boy is fast. Very fast. Outqualifying Vettel 3-1 this season. And no mechanical issues this weekend for Vettel to blame it on... Ricciardo simply put together a better lap in the rain.

Poor Rosberg... will be kicking himself. And if it's anywhere near dry tomorrow, he'll be looking at dispatching with the Red Bulls quickly to ensure his point disparity to Hamilton won't be too big.

I agree.. it seems like he has not moved on yet from that last duel with Hamilton..
He needs to calm down to be able to beat Hamilton.
I'd rather he not beat Hamilton but I don't want this season to be one sided:D

Thankfully he has someone close to teach him some 'cool'

keke.jpg

Forgot what time it was. Turned on the TV, finally, to see Ricciardo 2nd in qualifying...

Dear Lord, that boy is fast. Very fast. Outqualifying Vettel 3-1 this season. And no mechanical issues this weekend for Vettel to blame it on... Ricciardo simply put together a better lap in the rain.

Poor Rosberg... will be kicking himself. And if it's anywhere near dry tomorrow, he'll be looking at dispatching with the Red Bulls quickly to ensure his point disparity to Hamilton won't be too big.
He has at least 15kmh in his pocket over the Red Bulls on the back straight, so he shouldn't have too much of a problem.
This was just before braking on Ricciardo's fastest lap (I think he got to 296) everyone else was 305+

upload_2014-4-19_9-16-48.png

Both Red Bulls ahead of Rosberg? I didn't see that coming. And Perez goes from Bahrain hero to China zero, down in 16th while his teammate is up in 8th.

Perez has never been good at China even with a good car.

I agree.. it seems like he has not moved on yet from that last duel with Hamilton..
He needs to calm down to be able to beat Hamilton.

Exactly because unfortunate for him, Lewis is in his form that we've seen since 07, 08 and 10 which is a calm and calculated driver who is enjoying being fast and only pushing to go faster and faster. He's hungry (as cliche as it sounds) and Rosberg needs to be more so, or it's game over.

Last edited:
Missed my first quali session since Valencia 2012 thanks to my alarm not even waking me up.

Rosberg just doesn't look calm, he looks desperate and Lewis just drives to his best and gets a lap out of it. With Alonso behind on the grid Nico could face some close shaves at the start but we'll see how he tries to pass them.

That was some masterful driving. His handwork seems so calm. Even when he had to catch the car, he never put more than a tiny bit of correction in. Rosberg's hands look fidgety in comparison.

Can't really tell without seeing the car from the outside, but from what I recall of past Hamilton wet qualifying laps, he pushes the car into oversteer rather than dancing around it, which lets him ride it out with minimal correction. I see some points there where it looks like the car might be oversteering, but it never looks sloppy or out of control.

Rosberg putting the spin down to an error with his delta display.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/04/19/rosberg-didnt-realise-last-lap-quicker/

Well, obviously, he had P2 to lose. Two-tenths down would still put him there. Still the same thing, a bit too eager to push, a bit too eager to prove himself after the loss in Bahrain.

And if you're looking down at the time delta when you're supposed to be driving... :lol:

Can't help but root for him. He's up against a qualifying monster, and he's fighting hard.

On the other hand, Ricciardo... wow. Vettel is being very gracious about being behind, and it's a good idea to keep a level head about the in-team qualifying battle so early in the game... but if this continues... ouch.

Last edited:
By the way, Alonso dominating 5th place in quali is now getting boring :irked:

During the drivers interviews, i was thinking what team could he possibly go to next. Such a waste to see Zo(and Kimi) shrug his shoulders with unknown certainty.

Good Morning! :)

No-one interested in GP then?

Last edited:
Back