2015/16 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,443 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds alright to me, we need to make more signings as teams like Liverpool are really making waves in the window this so far, we have been linked with SOOOoooooo many players!

Lots of the new kits have been released, reddit thread for the main leagues https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/3b7qmv/new_201516_kits_megathread/

3 of my favourites that I've seen so far.

PSG Away
0dfdXmZ.jpg

Frankfurt Home/Away
wVWgnTp.jpg

VGkrMbl.jpg

Lille Home
Ei6praU.jpg

Balotelli seems to prefer a career ruining move.

Trabzonspor from Turkey have shown interest and Liverpool are willing to let him go for a lower than purchase price.

Massive congratulations to the England Women's team for making it to the World Cup semi finals for the first time, it was the first time they made it to the quarters!, they beat Canada last night and play current World champs Japan next, its the first time an England senior team has made it to a semi final of a World Cup since Italia 90, fantastic achievement 👍

It's a dang shame that the women's football just is sooooo bad to watch, because it sure as hell has an unpredictable outcome of results. Except for Germany.

Arsenal sign Petr Cech for around 10 million and Nathaniel Clyne is having medical at Liverpool.

May: Louis Moult signs a new deal at Wrexham.

June: Louis Moult moves to Motherwell.

In all fairness, that's a move you can't turn down. A major step up from the Conference to the Scottish Prem. A tad surprised Well were hunting this far down but at least we get a fee. Undisclosed of course but it must be at least £100,000.

My favourite player from last year is gone though. Nine new signings in and nine players gone. Changing of the guard at the Racecourse.

Who's the manager there now?

At Wrexham? Gary Mills, of Nottingham Forest European Cup winning fame. Always one of the top managers at our level, I've been clamouring for his appointment for some time. I am trusting his judgement; he's taken York out of the Conference before now.

Oh right I've heard of him, I always want Wrexham to do well and indeed all Welsh teams, expect maybe Cardiff..

Our latest casualty. Number eight is Stuary Gray. Bit of an odd one; Sheffield Wednesday certainly hadn't been scoring a lot of goals but they weren't playing very badly to me, as an outsider. What does @Famine make of his club's managerial circus? Not too long ago that sourpusses Megson and Jones were in charge. I have to imagine they have an immediate successor in mind.

MANAGER WATCH

9th May - Lee Clark (Blackpool, resigned) League One
12th May - Paul Cook (Chesterfield, moves to Portsmouth) League One
24th May - Sam Allerdyce (West Ham United, contract expiration) Premier League
25th May - Steve McClaren (Derby County, sacked) Championship
25th May - Nigel Clough (Sheffield United, sacked) League One
28th May - John Sheridan (Plymouth Argyle, sacked) League Two

5th June - Slaviša Jokanović (Watford, contract expiration) Premier League
11th June - Stuart Gray (Sheffield Wednesday, sacked) Championship
And Leicester City have sacked Nigel Pearson.

So that's two 1991 League Cup final Wednesday players now available as managers... and here's Wednesday without a manager...

I cannot help but feel that despite the incidents last year from him himself, that this has something to do with his son being sacked for the Thai video farce. The man led them to 14th from being bottom, dead and buried, five games before the end of the season!

So that's two 1991 League Cup final Wednesday players now available as managers... and here's Wednesday without a manager...

Not a bad shout at all but Pearson's stock has surely risen now. Even as a fan favourite, would he drop down to manage Wednesday? He's a better appointment than John Sheridan, I reckon.

And that's nine managerial changes before the first ball of the new season has even been kicked. Nine.

9th May - Lee Clark (Blackpool, resigned) League One
12th May - Paul Cook (Chesterfield, moves to Portsmouth) League One
24th May - Sam Allerdyce (West Ham United, contract expiration) Premier League
25th May - Steve McClaren (Derby County, sacked) Championship
25th May - Nigel Clough (Sheffield United, sacked) League One
28th May - John Sheridan (Plymouth Argyle, sacked) League Two

5th June - Slaviša Jokanović (Watford, contract expiration) Premier League
11th June - Stuart Gray (Sheffield Wednesday, sacked) Championship
30th June - Nigel Pearson (Leicester City, sacked) Premier League

Not a bad shout at all but Pearson's stock has surely risen now. Even as a fan favourite, would he drop down to manage Wednesday? He's a better appointment than John Sheridan, I reckon.
I was hoping for Pearson as head coach, Sheridan as assistant...

... but we've confirmed Thingy Wossname now, so that's that done.

What a bunch of ostriches.

They're guaranteed second season syndrome, unless they have an Alan Pardew equivalent who was once a legend there and who can save them too...

Ridiculous decision, their fans cant believe it...

What a bunch of ostriches.

They're guaranteed second season syndrome, unless they have an Alan Pardew equivalent who was once a legend there and who can save them too...

Martin O'Neill is too busy not qualifying for the Euros.

Clyne to Liverpool is a done deal, £10 million rising to £12.5, that's another player Liverpool have snapped up that United were interested in after Firmino, to be fair they have had a good summer window so far signing some top class player, I really hope United will get their arse in gear and sign someone, I'm getting anxious...

Swansea sign Brazilian striker Eder (pronounced 'Edare' apparently) from Braga for £5 million, we needed a striker since Bony left

Celtic win their Champions League qualy first leg earlier (cant remember who they played), West Ham play their Europa League qualy first round first leg game away in Andorra to FC Lusitans tomorrow, Bilic wont take charge of the game but will watch it at the stadium, no idea what's going on there...

England Women play their World Cup semi final against current World Champs Japan at half past midnight....

Barcelona offered Juventus 80 million for Pogba, but they declined the offer.

I thought Barcelona wasn't allowed to mingle on the transfer market?

They can buy them, they just aren't allowed to let them play until January.

That's right their transfer ban ends in January so they can buy players again then, I heard the offer was for next season though, they do need a midfielder to replace Xavi....that's about the only thing they need I think...

Barca also wants Arda Turan, they offered him a salary of 6.5 million a year.

Barca is quickly becoming a Chelsea or Man City.

Just remembered that they have signed Aleix Vidal from Sevilla and he will join in January...

Stoke City sign Xherdan Shaqiri

£12 million. If that isn't bargain of the season I don't know what is.

You know the old cliche; he can do it at Inter Milan but can he do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke? Well for once, we're going to find out!

It's even more impressive when you remember that Liverpool paid 25 million for Lallana who IIRC was older at the time than Shaqiri is now.

I really don't get why the English players all cost triple the money a foreign player would. The new regulations about having a certain amount of English players hasn't come in yet but for the last 5 years if you're buying English you're paying triple. If anything I think that's harming our national team because why pay 45 for sterling when you can get twice as good for half the price.

I can sort of understand why Sterling is highly priced, he's a 20 year old winger that's had a 1 in 4 strike rate at a high level for the last couple of seasons. He has a lot of potential.

Decent player who looks better than he is because he's in an average team. Nowhere near worth the values quoted.

I really don't get why the English players all cost triple the money a foreign player would.
There's two answers to that.

The first is that it's because fans want to see good English players more, because they're English, increasing demand. The second is that it's because they're rarer now due to cheaper players from abroad who want the exposure and salary and clubs concentrating on buying in ready-made talent at the expense of their own academies, decreasing supply.

So when you get someone like Raheem Sterling - a player with enough natural talent to get noticed despite this - coming along, clubs will pay big for him. And he's really a second rate player (who could be far more than that) and a massive prima donna because of the expectation on him and the demand for him.

I'll say again though, that the FA should make a new regulation that any matchday squad of 15 should include 40% of players born within a million-population circle centred on the pitch's centre spot. Not only would this solve England's national team woes (in a generation or two), but it would make smarter clubs invest in homes, schools, hospitals and public services in their area and return to being the centre of the community they were in the 1920s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back