2015 Dodge Challenger

• Thread starter Slash
  • 692 comments
I'm surprised that Dodge is the only American company with balls.
If they had real balls they'd scrap the enormous Challenger and replace it with something halfway decent. If anything, they're the least ballsy of the big three.

The Challenger is like the Republican party of muscle cars. It caters almost exclusively to old white men.

I was saying this earlier here. It's time in 2 or 3 model years.
I should hope so. How they sell any of those at all is beyond me. At least now it has a decent interior rather than that dungeon the pre-facelift car had. It would be a somewhat nice car but it's the size and weight of a small large house.

I agree. I bet this how people felt in 87 with the Fox body facelift lol.

What do you mean? Ford took a huge risk changing the Mustang entirely.
Every manufacturer has to do that to a model eventually. That doesn't give them balls. :lol:

Balls is what Porsche did with the Cayenne/Panamera after being crucified by its die hard supporters for the last 50 years as going soft when they were revealed.
Based on a vast sum of anecdotal evidence, the only people that buy Challengers are old Vietnam vets and college sorority girls.
I can't believe that that is probably the most accurate statement I've ever read for a car's buyers.

I was talking about the power/colors/cuttingTheHoodOpen, not the car as a whole. They weigh what, 4300 lb?

I wasn't talking about the base model though I was talking about the R/T and the number I got was from Road & Track magazine, some 5 years ago.
I know you weren't, but I was making the comparison based on his 3,800lb base model V6 that he brought up. Even with the small block 318 V8, it weighed only 3,200 lbs.

Here's a good comparison. This is a stock class event. This is the 340 car....not even a Hemi or 440. Both are V8 cars.

I know you weren't, but I was making the comparison based on his 3,800lb base model V6 that he brought up. Even with the small block 318 V8, it weighed only 3,200 lbs.

Here's a good comparison. This is a stock class event. This is the 340 car....not even a Hemi or 440. Both are V8 cars.

Do you know if they're both stock?

Do you know if they're both stock?

Yes there's a longer video that goes over both cars. Best the old one pulled was an 11.8, they switched drivers and that dropped into the 13's and 14s which was what they rated them IIRC.

Here it is:

"Similar" power output, the old one weighs almost 800lbs less.

Yes there's a longer video that goes over both cars. Best the old one pulled was an 11.8, they switched drivers and that dropped into the 13's and 14s which was what they rated them IIRC.

Here it is:

Whoever was in the new challenger the first few rounds sucks as a driver, the guy in the older missed a gear badly and still managed to win. Then when they switched he had a bad start and still finished ahead of his older challenger in the hands of the bad driver. Anyways it's amazing to see those times pulled by a 340 in today's world. The low 14s were horrible for a new V8 car like that and I've seen stock SRT-4 Neon run high 13s with ease.

Here it is:

It says what both cars are, not what's done to them. That T/A is not stock, and you're kidding yourself if you think it can run 12's out of the factory. 290 rated horsepower out of the 340.

Similar power output would make that a 426 Challenger if the SRT8 is a 425Bhp V8 model & not the 475Bhp.

I fully agree. It's amazing to see what a good driver can do. One can only imagine what a 426 Hemi would have run with him behind the wheel. Those 340's were potent engines. Last race and he still missed a gear and ran 12s.

But it still shows how much of a pig the new one is. Up until the 500+ horsepower Mustangs and Camaros that are rolling off the floors these days, unmodded old ones with small blocks (not big block cars) were sticking right up next to new ones.

It says what both cars are, not what's done to them. That T/A is not stock, and you're kidding yourself if you think it can run 12's out of the factory. 290 rated horsepower out of the 340.

Similar power output would make that a 426 Challenger if the SRT8 is a 425Bhp V8 model & not the 475Bhp.

It would seem McLaren is right I didn't notice that bit in the description so I'd have to think that makes more sense as far as the older 340 goes.

Last edited:
Well the Old Challenger could had Rear end work (upgrading to 4.10 gears) with Upgraded Torque converter, that was Common among 340 powered cars which would still be labeled "Stock". but yea 12 near 11 second T/A wasnt from the factory.

Also Most pre 2011 SRT8's were running 13.4. high 12 on a good day.

Most journalist-tested quarter mile times aren't run on a drag strip, much less a heavily used and rubbered one. Street tires aren't designed to grip hard packed rubber. One of the rare cases I've seen where a stock car meets or beats its published times on a drag strip was my cousin's old supercharged Cobalt SS. That car had so many electrical issues, it made up for them by running a 14.2 quarter mile with a K&N intake and an engine torque damper. It was a ringer when all the "stage 2" Cobalts were running 14.5 which is the published time for the stock car.

@psntomaz

If you notice with crap driving it ran exactly what those cars in your videos did. The guy I posted was on his game.

Regardless, it still proves the new one is a pig. Which we already knew.

LOOOOOOOOL.

A stock Challenger T/A will trap around 100-102 mph on a great day with a 3.55 rear end. Thinking that one is close to stock....

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd much prefer to have the Challenger over the current crop of muscle and pony cars, irrespective of how crap it may handle.

Yeah, most people who haven't owned an old car say this. Then they'll usually chicken out when it comes time to hand over tens of thousands of dollars for a 45 year old car with no warranty, effective air conditioning, or airbags. It's a good thing they do. Old cars like this aren't just modern muscle cars with different bodies, they require patience and know-how unless the buyer is prepared for an insanely expensive car.

Last edited:
Yeah, most people who haven't owned an old car say this. Then they'll usually chicken out when it comes time to hand over tens of thousands of dollars for a 45 year old car with no warranty, effective air conditioning, or airbags. It's a good thing they do. Old cars like this aren't just modern muscle cars with different bodies, they require patience and know-how unless the buyer is prepared for an insanely expensive car.

Perhaps I might have been in the wrong conversation considering the posts above; I was talking about the new one.

2015 SRT Hellcat has been revealed.

http://www.drivesrt.com/2015/challenger-srt-hellcat/
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-debuts-with-600-plus-horsepower-hemi-hellcat

The regular 2015 Challenger SRT makes do with 485 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque from its '392' HEMI, while the 2015 Challenger SRT equipped with the Hellcat is said to deliver more than 600 horsepower. Drive is channeled to the rear wheels via a six-speed manual or available eight-speed automatic.

The fact that they built a 600 bhp Challenger is enough to convince me that they not only didn't learn form their mistakes, but will go bankrupt again in the next 20 years. I'd put money on it. They haven't learned how to make good, competitive cars, and they're making the same mistakes they've been making for 50 years. The trouble is that they have learned that they can do the same thing over and over again and that they'll always get bailed out because it's not economically viable to let them fail.

I don't know, it's got 600hp. It'll sell I think.

To whom? The only people who will buy it are Mopar enthusiasts, which there clearly aren't enough of judging by sales figures.

Unless Chrysler has implemented some chassis changes, anyone wanting an actually decent pony car will probably turn to the GT500 or ZL1.

Back