2015 F1 Mechanics/Aero; Design predictions to win the WCC/WDC. READ FIRST POST

Yeah I think I like the new STR, do you know if the wing has been crash tested and is approved yet?
Carlos-Sainz-Jnr-Toro-Rosso-2015-F1-testing-Barcelona-41.jpg

Testing rear wing too
It really REALLY sucks that they're just the junior Red Bull team. :indiff: Love that car and livery. đź‘Ť

Holy 🤬 that air intake! :eek:

@LMSCorvetteGT2 if you know the wing needs to pass crash tests before being allowed to run in any test session, then fact it ran in todays test session would indicate it has passed those crash tests...

Toro Rosso hinted at a slew of aero upgrades for the STR10 (for the Melbourne race) a while back at Jerez.

I've noticed that every one is converging to single rear wing supports with monkey seats . Latest example is the Williams and Mercedes.

dcd1526fe242.jpg

Are McLaren still running without a monkey seat? I didn't see one at first 2 tests and haven't looked during this test. They did say they would have a new aero package for this test and presume it would be part of that.

@LMSCorvetteGT2 if you know the wing needs to pass crash tests before being allowed to run in any test session, then fact it ran in todays test session would indicate it has passed those crash tests...

Um not necessarily since, Mercedes ran there's last year before the crash test, it performed well and then went on to fail the crash test and need to be slight reworked before it was seen again at China I believe. This is why I ask...not being a smart ass just a legitimate question.

Jenson-Button-McLaren-2015-F1-testing-Barcelona.jpg

Yes it has a monkey seat that is a bit rectangular

However Sauber don't and they have a double pillar structure instead.
Felipe-Nasr-Sauber-2015-F1-testing-Barcelona-1.jpg

Nico-Hulkenberg-Force-India-2015-F1-testing-Barcelona-41.jpg

The airbox on the new FI seems like the flipped version of the Lotus.

That large scoop is what I'm curious about it seems similar to what we've seen on the Merc and Red Bull but just more pronounced.

ta_article_1256.jpg

New rear suspension work on the RBR

And more importantly it should be noted that Merc are planning to use most of their tokens leading up to Melbourne. This after running another majorly fast lap and this time on the softs, going two seconds faster than the next fastest on soft and more importantly going two seconds faster than their fast time on the mediums. So...if we were to say these are the fastest times a two second gap is quite scary already.*

*(of course we don't know so this is hypothetical)

Last edited:
Just reading up on Mercedes front wing, it never ran before the failed crash tests. It appeared in the pitlane prior to China but they were not allowed to run it until it actually passed.

Also, Force India airbox looks close to what Mercedes ran at Melbourne last year.
upmercw1b.jpg

Just reading up on Mercedes front wing, it never ran before the failed crash tests. It appeared in the pitlane prior to China but they were not allowed to run it until it actually passed.

So I remembered everything about the event without reading it but that :lol:, for the most part my point was you can run items at a test that still can be disallowed for one reason or another before it finds its way to a GP.

No, it never ran on circuit at test or Grand Prix. It COULD however be disallowed on other grounds. Think about twin diffuser argument, it was seen at testing (rules not same then, but this applies now still) but could only be ruled by the stewards at the first GP weekend after a complaint was lodged by rivals.

No, it never ran on circuit at test or Grand Prix. It COULD however be disallowed on other grounds. Think about twin diffuser argument, it was seen at testing (rules not same then, but this applies now still) but could only be ruled by the stewards at the first GP weekend after a complaint was lodged by rivals.

Yes exactly my point like the Lotus brake/suspension set up a couple years back, that was my point. Also I do remember the wing being used after it was reworked, not the original wing however. That is why the nose on the Mercedes changed some. It should be covered in the 2014 rule change thread.

As for the FI airbox similar to Merc airbox, good job.

Just some quick updates from the end of testing

ta_article_1258.jpg

So many teams are going to these style of end plates with the curve to them and the slits that allow a supposed drag reduction that occurs from the wake off the rear.

As for the stub that people are keeping supposedly it is said to help the flow of the air as it goes along the coke bottle shape to the rear diffuser, though other designers have said that a more higher nose allows for better results from this it will be interesting to see if the car has that much more performance in it over the main Mercedes and the Lotus who aren't going to run a stub at all.

EDIT: Also if you read the first post since it has been updated you will get an understanding of how the all important token system works, as well as the radio message not allowed.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not the best looking thing but if it can do what they want, then I don't see a problem with it.

I don't see why they can't just do a plexi or stronger glass system like cars use to have with the driver being lower so if a tire does come that way it's skating over the top of the driver and not at eye level

@LMSCorvetteGT2 do you mean a larger windscreen basically, or a fighter jet style canopy?

I initially thought you meant the second and was going to mention the dangers of a driver not being to get out of a vehicle quickly. It raises a good question on the above concept though, since it is already difficult for drivers to get their legs over the cockpit sides without raising it 30cm or so...

@LMSCorvetteGT2 do you mean a larger windscreen basically, or a fighter jet style canopy?

I initially thought you meant the second and was going to mention the dangers of a driver not being to get out of a vehicle quickly. It raises a good question on the above concept though, since it is already difficult for drivers to get their legs over the cockpit sides without raising it 30cm or so...

Look at the M23 or Tyrell P34 and other cars from the late 60s through the 70s, but in a modern form and lower into the tub if possible or redesign. Thus the cars get to be safe and look good. The problem with this or a canopy is the same if it's buried in gravel the driver is still stuck even with some system to pop off the enclosure.

If you click the link I posted with the image, it has more images of the concept, at least one of those images showing the device hinging upward.

If you click the link I posted with the image, it has more images of the concept, at least one of those images showing the device hinging upward.

I looked at all the images, and translated cause I'm interested. The handing device is the same as those concepts of the glass canopy. It's just a device that allows the driver to enter and then be enclosed in. Any device like this would have to open up in an upward are sideways position to allow driver to get in and out effectively.

forti3.jpg

Last edited:
So an important update, the tokens. Mercedes has used the most before the start of the season with 25 and Ferrari using 22 and Renault using 20. Thus Honda have only 9 tokens to use over the entire season if you take the average of the remaining tokens and round it to the nearest lowest whole number.

Meaning that Honda's engine will see little to no development at all and they must hope that the engine is not the current issue with the McLaren.

Last edited:
Audi being an F1 team from scratch...no (referencing to earlier rumors). Audi using RBR as a basis to enter F1...plausible.

Adam Cooper@adamcooperF120s

A lot going on in the Red Bull camp as Dietrich Mateschitz is losing patience, and Audi waits in the wings as a potential buyer of RBR

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/03/15/...itz-wants-to-sell-rbr-as-audi-waits-in-wings/

They should do it and it makes sense seeing as Audi and RBR rumors were started around them supplying the engine due to the Renault incompetence. I'd rather see a fifth engine come into the fold with an opportunity of a sixth in Cosworth.

I can't see Mateschitz giving up after one dud season. Especially when it was oft-remarked that the problem with the Red Bull was the engine. Renault hardly did themselves any favours in Melbourne, but Mateschitz didn't get to where he is now by jumping ship at the first sign of a leak.

I think it's more likely that he will explore potential options, like a partial sale of Red Bull and/or Toro Rosso to Audi or Renault, to keep the Red Bull name in the sport, but reducing the pressure on the company.

Back