2015 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 478 comments
Makes no difference. You never hear of drivers getting penalised for shutting the door on a competitor attempting to pass around the outside of a corner because it isn't against the rules.
The rules say there has to be a one car width gap to the track edge. The rules do not specify which direction the track has to be going at any given time.

The rules say there has to be a one car width gap to the track edge. The rules do not specify which direction the track has to be going at any given time.

No driver has ever been penalised for shutting the door on the outside of a turn, however. So it's pretty clear what the stewards view on the practice is.

Because no one's ever daft enough to run someone else off the outside of a corner when they don't have position on that driver on track.

Makes no difference. You never hear of drivers getting penalised for shutting the door on a competitor attempting to pass around the outside of a corner because it isn't against the rules.
Actually, it does. Drivers regularly get penalties for forcing cars off the circuit when completing a pass because it is believed that they would be able to complete the pass with forcing the other driver off. If Hamilton had left Rosberg racing room, there was no guarantee that he could have made the pass; therefore, he should have been given a penalty.

Wow, Herbert is really going after Alonso today, almost demanding for Ron Dennis to sack him. I mean, he vented his frustration and said some stupid things he shouldn't, but he didn't kill anybody.

Dennis: "He didn't really need to make that comment. It offered nothing constructive. I'm not going to get angry about it. It's a bit of an embarrassment. I don't condone it. But they are frustrated. I solve it behind closed doors".

He also says that Alonso and Button will be driving next year. A new sponsor is being announced next week.

I think Johnny Herbert needs to take a deep breath and calm down. He seems to forget that Button has made his share of comments on the cars performance over team radio in previous races. Of course, not as blunt and blatantly frustrating as Alonso today. But then again, who can blame him.

Actually, it does. Drivers regularly get penalties for forcing cars off the circuit when completing a pass because it is believed that they would be able to complete the pass with forcing the other driver off. If Hamilton had left Rosberg racing room, there was no guarantee that he could have made the pass; therefore, he should have been given a penalty.

What dimension do you live in again? :sly:

I think Johnny Herbert needs to take a deep breath and calm down. He seems to forget that Button has made his share of comments on the cars performance over team radio in previous races. Of course, not as blunt and blatantly frustrating as Alonso today. But then again, who can blame him.
Wow, Herbert is really going after Alonso today, almost demanding for Ron Dennis to sack him. I mean, he vented his frustration and said some stupid things he shouldn't, but he didn't kill anybody.
If you had no idea about what happened today, you would think that Alonso has killed somebody with the way Herbet was going off. :lol:

There's no point even looking at these F1 threads after a race any more. You have 2 users offering good points, while the rest of the users spend time arguing. You have the Hamilton haters making up crap against him because they're too sore to admit he's done a good job; you have the Hamilton fans trying to tell us how crap Rosberg is; and lots of people whining about Vettel's whining.
Please stop.

Rubbish. Hamilton was fully alongside. It is his corner. Rosberg chose to contest on the outside. That is on him no matter how much you want it to mean something else. His call and only his call. He is responsible for anything that happens to himself at that point no matter what you think.

Coulthard's view on the overtake.

"If you have your nose ahead you take the line. That leaves the guy behind with a choice to either stay there, and you will make contact, or you back out of it and Nico does that."

Alonso was the best driver today for me. 11th place in a car that just isn't good enough for that position speaks volumes for how well he's driving at the moment.

Once where I have the spatial awareness to recognise that there is a car next to me.

Hamilton was ahead after turn 1 though, and it wasn't the only overtake in the race where the overtakee had to back out or collide. Not even the only overtake in the season, and some of those were from Rosberg. I don't think Hamilton's solely to blame for that evolution in that racing style.

Niki Lauda wants to know why Mercedes didn't get much coverage during the race. Could it be because audiences don't want to see one car out front with daylight second, especially when we get a series of tight battles up and down the field?

I don't think Hamilton's solely to blame for that evolution in that racing style.
Nor did I say he was - only that in this instance, I think he forced Rosberg off to complete the pass.

Niki Lauda wants to know why Mercedes didn't get much coverage during the race. Could it be because audiences don't want to see one car out front with daylight second, especially when we get a series of tight battles up and down the field?

Nor did I say he was - only that in this instance, I think he forced Rosberg off to complete the pass.

Not according to Rosberg he didn't. He said he backed out of it. You still having difficulty working out that if you are ahead you take the line?

I thought it was a very stupid comment from both Wolff and Lauda. They showed Rosberg a lot so they can't say they're being left out in the cold.

He said he backed out of it.
Only because Hamilton gave him no choice.

You still having difficulty working out that if you are ahead you take the line?
Are you still having difficulty working out that Hamilton wasn't far enough ahead to claim the line and that the only way to guarantee it was to force Rosberg wide?

Only because Hamilton gave him no choice.

Are you still having difficulty working out that Hamilton wasn't far enough ahead to claim the line and that the only way to guarantee it was to force Rosberg wide?

Enough? Ahead is ahead. Alongside on the inside is alongside on the inside. Both give you the right of way.

Enough? Ahead is ahead. Alongside on the inside is alongside on the inside. Both give you the right of way.
Next you'll be telling me that if Hamilton was behind Rosberg, he was entitled to have the place.

From what I saw, Hamilton had not executed the pass. He was only able to take the position by forcing Rosberg wide. End of story.

Next you'll be telling me that if Hamilton was behind Rosberg, he was entitled to have the place.

From what I saw, Hamilton had not executed the pass. He was only able to take the position by forcing Rosberg wide. End of story.

You just take every chance to take a scrape at Hamilton. I think we got this a long time ago.

(And i'm not even much of a Lewis fan myself now)

The squeeze, which is what Hamilton did, is something that happens in everything from karting to F1, and only in the extreme circumstances have I seen it result in a penalty. Hamilton did understeer towards Rosberg, not much you can do about that. However, Rosberg probably should have attempted the over and under before T2. As far as I'm concerned, the way they both entered that corner, it was fair game in regards to who got the position.

And I'm also not a Hamilton fan, but you can't deny he does have quite a bit of talent under all that bling. It's just a shame he acts like a bit of a tool.

Back