2016 Audi R8

• Thread starter GTboyz
  • 272 comments
Looks cheaper than the current one. Not a fan.

All the info I'm reading is on the V10 only models. I know Audi is toying with stretching the engine lineup even further downmarket with something like a V6 turbo or even a diesel of some sort, but I hope this isn't the end of the V8 model. I've always liked that one most.

Looks cheaper than the current one. Not a fan.

All the info I'm reading is on the V10 only models. I know Audi is toying with stretching the engine lineup even further downmarket with something like a V6 turbo or even a diesel of some sort, but I hope this isn't the end of the V8 model. I've always liked that one most.

I think the standard 4.2 V8 will continue, just with a slight bump in power. If the R8 goes turbo, it'll probably get the 4.0 from the RS6/7. They likely launched the V10 first to tie it more towards the Huracan.

Front....eh.

Rear....eww.

Overall, in my opinion, this looks better:

AUDIR8GT-4598_1.jpg

I don't know. It kind of looks nice but looks plain when compared to the old one. It has a toned down look.

It looks like the Nanuk concept from a few years ago.
audi R8 Nan.jpg

looks much better in motion (probably in black too) only issue is the vents under the front lights.

Also obligatory RIP Manual.

A nice, curvy design ruined by angular "agression"

Way to go modern design trends...

Looks like they took inspiration from GTA with the side-blade.....
/sarcasm

But seriously though, @R1600Turbo dug up the best picture of it... This is what I did in GT6 with it:
Willow Springs International Raceway - Big Willow_5_edited_small.jpg

I don't care so much as far as the thatching on the grill is gone, but I don't like the longitudinal grills on the side.... The wheels look god-awful too.

Boooooring. The thing looks outdated sitting next to the current one. Last time I checked, when you facelift a car or design a new generation of it, it has to look better and more modern than the one it replaces. I don't know how Audi does teh thing, though.

I think it has much more in common with the Quattro concept, especially at the front.

01-audi-quattro-concept-drive.jpg
That was my immediate thought. I don't think the new R8 looks terrible, but I don't think it looks as nice as the previous either. It's a little too edge-y for my tastes, esp the rear.

Two things I've found quite interesting, gleamed from the Autoblog article:

tipping the scales at 3,205 lbs in top spec.
Power is transmitted to the road through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, a mechanical diff and a revised Quattro all-wheel drive system that can send 100 percent of available torque to either the front or rear axle.

Those two bits are nice to read, but it means the new R8 only has me interested in its stats. The last generation, I wanted it for how it looked. I'll assume the carryover engines means they both sound roughly the same, so we'll call that one a draw.

That was my immediate thought. I don't think the new R8 looks terrible, but I don't think it looks as nice as the previous either. It's a little too edge-y for my tastes, esp the rear.

I agree, the R8 was always something special and separate from the rest of the range. Although I like the angular looks of most Audi's this one should have stayed curvy. They have made it too bland and mainstream looking.

It looks even more rigid, robotic, and austere than the previous model. Also, the interior doesn't look very clean. Still an attractive car, but not as pretty as the previous one. Certainly not my kind of evolution.

Moreover, after seeing the leaked images, I just realized that the R8 actually looks better with a numberplate on the front. Without that extra rectangular section, it looks like it has a really big and ugly mouth. (to me, at least)

I DON'T CARE WHAT Y'ALL SAY, I STILL LOVE THIS THING'S EDGYNESS! :lol:
Curves on cars are overrated.
Thanks to Lamborghini, curves on cars are actually underrated

Because apparently everyone wants a lamborghini 👎

Thanks to Lamborghini, curves on cars are actually underrated

Because apparently everyone wants a lamborghini 👎

The angles look right on Lamborghini's one because it's part of their heritage since the 80's and 2 because they are overdone and striking. This R8 is not angular enough to be interesting and looks too boxy, much like a fridge!

The angles look right on Lamborghini's one because it's part of their heritage since the 80's and 2 because they are overdone and striking. This R8 is not angular enough to be interesting and looks too boxy, much like a fridge!
That's my point, they work on a Lamborghini so car designers think "Ohhhhhhhhh they'll work here then" especially at VAG.

Latest Posts

Back