2016 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 10,093 comments
Hinchcliffe is looking to run Watkins Glen as well. Could be an interesting race if Ricciardo and Hamilton are also there.

I'd love to see some of them run a NASCAR race. Hamilton did a seat swap with Stewart a few years back, and if I remember correctly, did pretty well. Would be really cool to see.

Now if we could get Stewart to run the UG GP. :P

I'd love to see some of them run a NASCAR race. Hamilton did a seat swap with Stewart a few years back, and if I remember correctly, did pretty well. Would be really cool to see.

Yeah, Hamilton picked up on it real quick. I think he'd take to the Gen 6 even more quickly since its not the sort of rolling brick the COT was. I could be wrong, but I think @Jahgee was there (or was it someone else?).

Yeah, Hamilton picked up on it real quick. I think he'd take to the Gen 6 even more quickly since its not the sort of rolling brick the COT was. I could be wrong, but I think @Jahgee was there (or was it someone else?).
I wasn't there for the Seat Swap, but I was there for the first COT race (The one when JPM and Harvick shoved each other)

Annnnnddd the complaints will come raining down in...

It would add strategy (how some might save it until the end to crate a massive gap while others might use it to get up to the front throughout the race) but I don't think the fan reaction would be good when certain drivers win just because of the boost. But if it is used like an ERS system, I would be all for it.

Last edited:
Maybe he took "current engine package" too literally and is assuming the tapered spacer stays. He just wants more power :)

No one said it needs to be a boost system. KERS can be done without adding power if it's done in a way that it recycles the lost energy to be used as a range extender rather than a power additive.
So maybe like ERS too?

I've heard that a single car team will have a part time second car for not one but two Xfinity series drivers next season. Both might be auditioning for the full time seat in 2017 but one of them, who has sponsorship, is the surprising favorite right now.

The legendary JWT?

Xfinity Series. JWT is still in the Truck Series.

Also hoping for it not to be Elliot Sadler, we already got enough of one sponsored driver that does absolutely nothing.

Furniture Row Racing. Erik Jones and Daniel Suarez (the one with the sponsorship)

...my guess.

While it does make sense, can Daniel Suarez really be considered a "surprise" considering how good he's been this year?

Surprise is that no one considered him for the seat. Everyone figured Erik Jones was a lock for it.

Still, this is all my guess. There's really no other single car team that would be fielding part-time Xfinity drivers. There's Wood Brothers, but they're just getting back to full-time with one car, so there's no way they'd be making a second team so soon, especially since they've historically been a one car team, outside of a few exceptions.

On top of that (As far as I'm aware anyway), Ryan Blaney is the Only Penske Development driver (unless suddenly, so is Tyler Riddick) so that also leaves no chance for a second car to run.

Fun/interesting NASCAR stats from browsing around the internet;

Ben Cannizzaro finished 27th (41 laps down on the winner) in his '46 Ford in the 1949 Langhorne Speedway
race (the fourth race of the inaugural season) and received $25 in prize money.

Richard Petty led 5,537 laps in 1967.

Dale Earnhardt led 3,357 laps in 1987.

With Jeff Gordon retired, Jimmie Johnson is now the leader among active
drivers in most top 5 finishes with 207.

15 drivers has driven 200,000+ laps.
Richard Petty, Ricky Rudd, Mark Martin, Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott,
Darrell Waltrip, Kyle Petty, Dave Marcis, Jeff Gordon, Ken Schrader,
Michael Waltrip, Sterling Marlin, Rusty Wallace, Dale Earnhardt & Bobby Labonte.

Closest active driver is Tony Stewart with 168,773 laps.

This slipped under the radar back in October:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2015/10/26/2016-nascar-sprint-cup-schedule/74637122/

All of the tracks/races are now locked under a 5-year contract, which means no venues can be added until at least 2021 unless they expand the calendar. So for anyone -including me- looking forward to sprint cup at Road America, Eldora, or any other circuit (even though none are ready for a cup race), well you'll sadly have to wait.
Maybe they are preparing other venues at this point. ;)

ELDORA FOR ALL PLEASE. 👍:gtpflag:

EDIT:

I believe it resembles this busch series car from 2003

nwgUhWT.jpg

Last edited:
Back