2016 Nissan Leaf

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 47 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Auto Express has what they say is an accurate representation of the new Leaf due in 2016.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/leaf/88344/nissan-leaf-to-get-sharp-new-look-and-range-boost

nissan-leaf-front-2excl_0_0.jpg

nissan-leaf-excl.jpg

I like it. :)

It's a bit "messy" IMO and being Auto Express, I'm not entirely sure whether it's even remotely accurate. They don't have a great track record for renders like that.

Yeah I think those wheels are just an enlarged version of the wheels that currently come on the car. But given that it is a good representation of Nissan's new design language, I wouldn't expect it to be too far off from that.

It doesn't look bad, it's a hatchback version of that sports sedan concept.

That being the new Leaf, I don't like it. I like the current Leaf cause it looks different from other Nissans. If they make it look more conventional, it will just look like an EV version of the Versa Note hatchback. Personally I think that would ruin the coolness/uniqueness that the current Leaf has, there is a few other car companies that have a compact EV but they are built preexisting gas engine cars but Leaf is built as an EV from the beginning. That and it looks different from other cars in the Nissan lineup, gives it a boost over other compact EV.

Mock ups by magazines are rarely accurate, I don't think it will be anywhere as near as bold as that plus I'm sure we will see more current Leaf DNA in it. That pic looks like a Volvo front with a Ford side & Lexus rear.

I agree with RocZX, the leaf is a design language to itself and should stay that way because it's what makes it appealing IMO. You know a leaf when you see one.

RedBudLeaf.jpg

Good to see that electric cars are now starting to look like normal cars and do not look like an "alien"

I really, really like it as a whole, the front end looks killer. Very good photoshop job too!

It's a decent photoshop job but after further inspection I'm still not keen on the way it looks. There's far too much going on and I do think it looks a bit too conventional.

I know there's a line of thinking that EVs should look like any other car but I don't entirely subscribe to that. I'm not a big fan of the current Leaf (either the way it looks or the way it drives) but it's certainly recognisable. They really stand out on the road, which arguably is important and gets the car noticed.

I think the Nismo concept in Japan went a long way to fixing the standard car's looks:

the-nissan-leaf-nismo-concept_100371836_l.jpg

the-nissan-leaf-nismo-concept_100371837_h.jpg

the-nissan-leaf-nismo-concept_100371839_h.jpg

The way the front bumper is squared off looks really good to me. Ditto at the rear. It's a pity Nissan went for an upswept window line on the side glass as it gives it quite a heavy-arsed look - I reckon extending the glass around the C-pillar would work better and take some visual weight from the back. I might do a crappy photoshop job to see if I can illustrate what I mean.

Of course, I'd not expect the next-gen Leaf to look like the first anyway, but I don't think the Leaf is too far from being quite a nice-looking car. My favourite feature of the current one is the rear light treatment - it's quite neat.

Edit: Here are my reimaginings. Bit of imagination needed on your part as my fixes are quite basic, but I reckon it removes some of the visual weight at the back.

Last edited:
I think it would make a better Versa Note than a Leaf, but I'd be ok with either.

And that's Nissan's new design language, so expect to see more of it.

That rendering looks pretty cool, even if it does look like a peeled potato.

Same reason combustion engines need one,

Cooling/Airflow for the condenser.
Most electric cars can draw that through a lower grille or even from under the car. A grille the size of the one on the drawings above isn't necessary.

Most electric cars can draw that through a lower grille or even from under the car. A grille the size of the one on the drawings above isn't necessary.

Could also be cooling for the transmission and the grill will not be open to the inside.

It could also be to make it look more like a normal car.

In 2014, where nearly every car has a monstrous whale mouth because that's the current fashion trend? No, it doesn't.

Which was kind of the point.

I must be the only one that finds that render in the OP hideous in comparison to the current Leaf.
I agree with you. Current leaf is just functionally different. This new thing looks like some weird french mutt.

Latest Posts

Back