2016 Pirelli Chinese Grand Prix

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 435 comments
How is Rosberg and Ricciardo second rate? Also why wouldn't Alonso deserve to be in the top 5?
When you want to win a world championship you don't hire Nico Rosberg to lead the line. For all his success in the Mercedes for the past two years or so he has spent most of his career neither here nor there really. He's just lucky that Mercedes, unlike Red Bull or Ferrari are willing to actually try to keep things close between their drivers, else he would probably be getting the Barichello/Webber treatment. Harsh but it's just my opinion that there's nothing special or elite about him and he isn't better than a single one of the 33 drivers who have been world champion, and several who didn't win one.

Ricciardo needs time, which he has, to prove to us that there's more to his career than that one season he beat Vettel, which although I won't discredit him for, many will say Vettel wasn't at his best in. For now I wouldn't say he's elite either, he's also in the same category as Nico.

I think it would have been interesting to see how 2016 Elimination Qualifying panned out with a very wet track. But of course the race we switch to the old style format, it pours down. Murphy's Law. :lol:
I suppose there would have been a flood of cars on the track.

So Horner says Red Bull is going to impact test their canopy design next week, and presumably mount it to a car during one of the practice sessions at Sochi.

Or as Horner pretty much said - stick it on a plinth and chuck a tire at it.

And Red Flag. Wehrlein hit a puddle on Super Softs with DRS on and hit the barrier on the pit straight.

This has been an unnecessarily long red flag stoppage for a pretty small accident. Oh wait, it's because they're drying a puddle on the track on the straight.

Last edited:
You would think in a country with 11 trillion people that they could find more than 2 guys in a Nissan pickup with a steel rack dragging behind covered in landscape fabric to help dry the track. :banghead:

You would think in a country with 11 trillion people that they could find more than 2 guys in a Nissan pickup with a steel rack dragging behind covered in landscape fabric to help dry the track. :banghead:
It doesn't even need to be dried. Putting the cars out there would've dried it a hell of a lot quicker.

Why on 🤬 earth is there a Nissan pickup truck on the entry to the pitlane. If someone goes off, they'll hit it. Have we not learned from the Jules Bianchi accident??

What the hell?
image.jpeg

After Bianchi's accident, this is rediculous.

Mercedes should be ashamed. They had 20 mn to get 1 lap and couldnt give it to Lewis.

Franckly, this is unacceptable from a top team like Mercedes.

Hmm... would running Hamilton in FP3 instead of keeping him in the garage help find the ERS problem earlier?

Mercedes should be ashamed. They had 20 mn to get 1 lap and couldnt give it to Lewis.

They probably wouldn't risk grenading the engine or the ERS. Hamilton might not have made it out of Q1 anyway without ERS.

They probably wouldn't risk grenading the engine or the ERS. Hamilton might not have made it out of Q1 anyway without ERS.

It's just the timing that piss me off and the way it was done, if he went out a bit earlier in the session maybe they could have tried to fix something. I understand he didnt went out because the track was drying but the more driver running on track the dryer it will get too. And Rosberg pace seems way off too. Not sure what's happening again at Mercedes.

It's Q1, jeez. It's not setting the grid.

I have no trouble if they are beaten by Ferarri, but Torro Rosso and Williams is another story.

It's just the timing that piss me off and the way it was done, if he went out a bit earlier in the session maybe they could have tried to fix something. I understand he didnt went out because the track was drying but the more driver running on track the dryer it will get too. And Rosberg pace seems way off too. Not sure what's happening again at Mercedes.

Mercedes knows how to play the qualifying game. They know they're safe out of Q1, so no need to play tit for tat with Ferrari yet.

For a moment there, I didn't recognise JEV without a beard.

After Bianchi's accident, this is rediculous.
It looks like the truck used to sweep the front straight. They probably just pulled over without a second thought.

They're not exactly trying to fix an Easy-Bake Oven. We've seen ERS problems cripple other teams in the past; I don't see why Mercedes should be immune.

I have no trouble if they are beaten by Ferarri, but Torro Rosso and Williams is another story.
They aren't though? It's Q1, it's not setting the grid, why waste tyres and engine mileage when you're safe from elimination?

They're not exactly trying to fix an Easy-Bake Oven. We've seen ERS problems cripple other teams in the past; I don't see why Mercedes should be immune.

I'm not getting mad agains tthat, I'm mad because they wait till the last minute to send drivers when they had whole session. If you wait for the last minute it means that you can't do anything if the slightest things goes wrong.

They aren't though? It's Q1, it's nir setting the grid, why waste tyres and engine mileage when you're safe from elimination?

>It's not the fact that they dont go again that I blame, it's the fact that the pace is slow for a reason I dont get. Again Ferrari ahead is ok, Torro Rosso, not so much. Can any of you remind me when it was for the last time than a Torro Rosso was ahead of a Mercedes in a qualification session ? Singapour last year maybe ? But other than that ? And on a lap that wasnt a baqd lap or anything.

I'm not getting mad agains tthat, I'm mad because they wait till the last minute to send drivers when they had whole session. If you wait for the last minute it means that you can't do anything if the slightest things goes wrong.
They had to fix Hamilton's engine problem before they could send him out.

Plus, it's Hamilton and Rosberg - if anyone can produce a lap on demand, it's those two.

The presumption that you have to make there is that they simply had no idea that there was a problem until Hamilton left the garage. You'd probably be making that assumption because you didn't know. The reason you didn't know was because you're not plugged into Mercedes' garage data systems like 150 Mercedes employees are.

Back