2016 Toyota Prius- Now even uglier then before!

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 308 comments
Do people honestly prefer a boring looking car over an odd/over-styled car? I may be in the minority here, haha. I like it.

Edit:
... Except bed caster wheels don't belong on a car.

Given how much people don't like this car to begin with and with it being useless now that many other cars do the same job (Even better in some cases), why exactly do we care?

At least the 3rd gen can be done up to look decent. This car is hopeless.
maxresdefault.jpg

I don't prefer a boring looking car over an odd car in most cases. Several cars can do odd right, but in my opinion, this one just doesn't.
Indeed. I'm a big fan of the Nissan Juke, and several other oddities, but really not keen on this. There's looking odd, and then there's being poorly proportioned and badly detailed.

The previous Prius (and the one before it, and the similarly-styled Mk2 Honda Insight) was a bit of a blank canvas for the usual straightforward modifications - wheels, suspension, small details. I suspect this one will be harder to improve.

It's a pity they didn't use the NS4 concept from a few years back as inspiration:

2012-toyota-ns4-plug-in-hybrid-concept_100376985_m.jpg

I can understand the need to differentiate a product, and I can certainly understand the requirement to build it a certain shape for aerodynamic purposes, but I can't understand making it needlessly ugly.

I honestly don't think it looks that bad.

No, it isn't great. But, it certainly isn't the worst looking car on the road. If I have a complaint, its that the area that surrounds the badge looks like it sticks out another 8-12" from the front of the car. Why? Is this a Tucker 48?

It's actually in production. Also it's actually hydrogen powered, not a hybrid.

16123952510_fda8d40bc6_b.jpg
I Personally love the Mirai, I hope it takes the standard for a more efficient car and completely make the use of Hybrid and Electric Obsolete to an extent. This is also suppose to be a sight cheaper than the Prius, which is great for those who wish to switch to an economical car without having to completely sell their soul to Toyota. I still like Elon Musk's tantrum that he had over this and the HFC.

And honestly reading some of peoples comments, I know none are really like hardcore serious. But come on, I didn't like earlier prius'. But I like almost all of the Toyota Line up look right now, the Prius, Corola, Camry, Supra predecessor, maybe not the trucks as much. But I've liked everything they've been doing.

I Personally love the Mirai, I hope it takes the standard for a more efficient car and completely make the use of Hybrid and Electric Obsolete to an extent.
Hydrogen is sure to be part of the future energy mix, but it is highly unlikely to replace battery electric vehicles unless the energy cost of producing hydrogen comes down, and people discover cheaper ways to store it.

And it's not even supposed to replace hybrid vehicles. Again, just another piece of the puzzle.
This is also suppose to be a sight cheaper than the Prius
Toyota Prius: $24,200
Toyota Mirai: $57,500

Erm...
And honestly reading some of peoples comments, I know none are really like hardcore serious.
I'm not sure other peoples' opinions are yours to decide upon.
But I've liked everything they've been doing.
...which means this isn't the rule everyone else lives by.

I genuinely thought that the 3rd gen Prius looked pretty cute. This just looks freaky. Not sure who Toyota is trying to appeal to with this styling.

Do people honestly prefer a boring looking car over an odd/over-styled car? I may be in the minority here, haha. I like it.

Edit:
... Except bed caster wheels don't belong on a car.
It has a sci-fi, futuristic look too it. I like it! Somebody send the shrink! :crazy:

So, I took a look at that. And my brain shut down to save me from it. After forcing my brain to work once more, I saw an LFA, mushed with with a Corolla, with the 'tash of a Mirai, and hints of every bad decision ever made by Toyota.

You know when designers come up with something, look at it a few times and think it is okay. Then they look at it the next day and think "What the heck were we thinking?". This should have been one of those times.

So, I took a look at that. And my brain shut down to save me from it. After forcing my brain to work once more, I saw an LFA, mushed with with a Corolla, with the 'tash of a Mirai, and hints of every bad decision ever made by Toyota.

You know when designers come up with something, look at it a few times and think it is okay. Then they look at it the next day and think "What the heck were we thinking?". This should have been one of those times.
Well, there's always mid-cycle refreshes.

In Japan, Toyota has tons of exterior options and accessories for almost all of their cars, so it won't be tough for customers over there to make this car look better.

I honestly think this is the worst looking car in the history. I challenge you to show me a worse one from an actual manufacturer.

It's alright. They could've made the hood go up to the windshield, though. This would've made it a nice looking car.

Apparently this model is going to be AWD?

Now that'd be an unexpected path for Toyota to take. Though maybe it's a good idea: they've already lost out on their headline efficiency figures compared to the competition, so making the Prius the (comparatively) go-anywhere option could do them favours.

Back