2016 Toyota Prius- Now even uglier then before!

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 308 comments
I honestly think this is the worst looking car in the history. I challenge you to show me a worse one from an actual manufacturer.

I see your Prius and raise you a Nissan Juke. Which to me looks like two different cars on top one another. And if that doesn't work, I raise you a Fiat Multipla

Nowhere near as bad. Very minor changes could make this a decent looking car.
Fiat Multipla? :D
I see your Prius and raise you a Nissan Juke. Which to me looks like two different cars on top one another. And if that doesn't work, I raise you a Fiat Multipla
Shock value. The Aztek and Multipla both had it at launch, but neither truly looks hideous today - like becoming accustomed to a bad smell, a dilapidated building or an off-colour joke, they're only really shocking for as long as they're still new and fresh.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I barely notice when a Multipla passes these days (substitute Multipla for Aztek if you're in the States) - it's just another bit of road furniture.

That said, I have a fairly high tolerance for being repulsed by cars anyway, since I tend to see aesthetic value in engineering or actual "design" (rather than "styling", which many people mistakenly see as one and the same). A Multipla isn't pretty, but I can certainly appreciate the huge glasshouse, which results in fantastic visibilty, and the proportions, which allow the three by three seating.

I've not been around enough Azteks to appreciate any qualities they may have, but I assume they're at least practical. And the Juke - which I genuinely like the look of in the first place - has great proportions below the unusual styling, and it's much more compact in the metal than it looks in pictures, so sits well on the road. Also, they're good fun to drive, which is another dimension.

It remains to be seen whether the Prius can redeem itself through its engineering. If it turns out to be a huge step above the last model for economy, thanks to clever aerodynamics, then it'll be easier to stomach. And of course, once people get over the "holy crap, look at that" thing and there are thousands on the road, it'll just become another car fading into the background.

I've seen the new Prius 2 months ago in a leaked picture. I've had enough time to get used to it, but I still find it hideous. The Juke is a genuinely good-looking car, especially the Nismo variant, or the JukeR.

Two months isn't much time. Two months into a relationship and people still crawl over broken glass to sleep with each other. The same may not be true after six. Or a year. Or more.

Not that I'm saying the new Prius doesn't look awful, but that it seems more awful because it's only just broken cover, relatively speaking.

If you're still repulsed by them after they're everywhere, five years down the line or so, then it'd suggest more is wrong with the inner workings of your mind than there is with the car.

People have an amazing capacity to get used to things, even wholly unusual things (it's surprisingly easy to become desensitised to violence, for instance - something that's not a natural, everyday sight for most people). I'm always a little suspicious of people who still claim to be repulsed by Multiplas or Jukes or Azteks given how normal and everyday they all are now. It's quite unnatural behaviour.

Or at the least, it's just one of those internet things that people now do to fit in. "Hey, you find the Aztek ugly? Yeah, it's totes ugly. We have something in common! Everyone who doesn't find it ugly is weird and different and we should argue with them!"

I don't even find the Aztek that ugly anymore; there are worse designs currently. Like the new Maxima or the i3.

Some cars are just ugly. Edsels are still ugly, as are most 80s sedans. I still don't think the Juke is very good looking years after its debut. Some cars do grow on me though, like the gen3 Prius did. We will see about this one.

u1OYlNZTXcNW1eU6KEMzc4x-jNX9bXvEeDdLp3cJI7cmP6ZsCEOknEdP_uBrhgr0vuxfM5OZmWtsIoI1XEx0oyf_-yF558mMQJng1lPAqvCZHvA0S2Op2g8=w607-h242-nc

The Peugeot Fractal has the same ugly lights.

It's hard to say the Aztek looks too terrible nowadays when so many of the goofy design cues it featured were adopted wholesale in the crossover segment it failed to corner; and there have been so many fundamentally ugly crossovers since it was mercy killed. I can't with any conscience say that the Aztek stands out so much more (at least the models that had all of the plastic crap pulled off of them) than, say, the Crosstour, even though Honda clearly tried to cover the ungainly proportions of that with deliberately conservative detailing; and the Cherokee has some impressive styling cues that doesn't show up in photos but much worse proportions than it originally seems (basically the opposite of what homeforsummer said about the Juke).

The Edsel was the same way, I'd even argue. It was a humongous public failure and its looks certainly didn't help, but it wasn't even the ugliest car that Ford debuted in 1958. Other than the horsecollar it was basically anonymous for its time period. Compare that to insane crap Virgil Exner was throwing out at Chrysler just a couple years later, and it's not even close.

Last edited:
I don't see what all the fuss is about. All the previous Prius' were ugly too. It's not like they messed up a great styling trend.

Jerome

I don't see what all the fuss is about. All the previous Prius' were ugly too. It's not like they messed up a great styling trend.

Jerome
I've always liked how the Prius looked; like a road-going spaceship. Although their technology has seldom been other worldly. Until recently they weren't even that green, unless you bought it in lime. Any other colour and you were basically buying a glorified milk-float.

Meh, it's gonna sell to grandma and grandpa. Prius owners tend to be loyal, or shall I say not bothered in researching and comparing other cars in the price range and class.

Ugly, yes, but at least it stands out more now. Perhaps that's a trait in itself.

If the Prius ran on childish negative hyperbole, this thread would be its fuel.

Looks largely the same to me.

Hydrogen is sure to be part of the future energy mix, but it is highly unlikely to replace battery electric vehicles unless the energy cost of producing hydrogen comes down, and people discover cheaper ways to store it.

And it's not even supposed to replace hybrid vehicles. Again, just another piece of the puzzle.

Toyota Prius: $24,200
Toyota Mirai: $57,500

Erm...

I'm not sure other peoples' opinions are yours to decide upon.

...which means this isn't the rule everyone else lives by.
I thought the Mirai was was only going to be 21. My things have changed..lol

Give it 10 so years. No one ends up caring about how these cars will look at that point, I'd say.

Or just like everything else, Jalopnik will throw up some rose-tinted retrospective how how forward-thinking it was, and how dumb we all were for not getting it at the time.

I honestly think this is the worst looking car in the history. I challenge you to show me a worse one from an actual manufacturer.
2010-lincoln-mkt-photo-249591-s-1280x782.jpg
lincoln-mkt.jpg

Lincoln MKT. Looks as if it runs by sifting huge volumes of plankton out of the air.

lamborghini_veneno_16.jpg

Lamborghini Veneno. Uglier than a vomit and scrotum sandwich.

Fiat-500L-Hatch-2013.jpg

Fiat 500 L. I absolutely loved the new Fiat 500 when I saw it. Brilliant looking, fun to drive car with bags of character. Then one day this monstrosity shambled past me. Despite my stoical appearance, I wept internally.

I'm sure there are many more, but these will do for now. I can't say I'm a fan of Toyota's new styling; I don't know what's going on with the new Yaris. The new Prius almost looks great, but then you get below badge height and do a spit-take. If you don't have a drink on-hand, you are compelled to go get one, just so you can do a spit-take.

Despite this, IMHO it is far from the most offensive car to have ever reflected photons onto my retinas.

lincoln-mkt.jpg

Lincoln MKT. Looks as if it runs by sifting huge volumes of plankton out of the air.

lamborghini_veneno_16.jpg

Lamborghini Veneno. Uglier than a vomit and scrotum sandwich.

Fiat-500L-Hatch-2013.jpg

Fiat 500 L. I absolutely loved the new Fiat 500 when I saw it. Brilliant looking, fun to drive car with bags of character. Then one day this monstrosity shambled past me. Despite my stoical appearance, I wept internally.

I'm sure there are many more, but these will do for now. I can't say I'm a fan of Toyota's new styling; I don't know what's going on with the new Yaris. The new Prius almost looks great, but then you get below badge height and do a spit-take. If you don't have a drink on-hand, you are compelled to go get one, just so you can do a spit-take.

Despite this, IMHO it is far from the most offensive car to have ever reflected photons onto my retinas.
Alright, I understand the 500L and the MKT, but...

The Lamborghini? You're probably gonna get some looks from people.

Alright, I understand the 500L and the MKT, but...

The Lamborghini? You're probably gonna get some looks from people.

Let 'em look! :P I know Lamborghini are all about outrageous styling and I can kinda dig that. However, the Veneno looks like someone accidentally trod on a cheap chinese knock-off batmobile toy.

lincoln-mkt.jpg

I disagree. It's dull but not exactly ugly.

The Juke, as strange as it is that it always comes up in these sorts of discussions, is not bad looking thing as a base, but the detailing of the front end seems to be done by three different designers all of which separated from each other without an idea of what the rest of the car will look like, and the finished product just got all of those fronts slapped over each other.

Last edited:
I actually quite like it. It's not crazily over the top or ground breaking but it looks fairly modern at the same time. It's certainly much better looking than the current model.

Latest Posts

Back