2016 Toyota Prius- Now even uglier then before!

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 308 comments
The only thing wrong with the Juke is that it doesn't conform to our expectations of what a car should look like. Ergo... instead of a smiley face, we get a Dali-esque Picasso of a front end. Other than that, the proportions are tidy and it's kind of funky.

-

My issue with the Prius is that the headlight treatment looks... cheap... and the rising belt-line used to create the illusion of a coupe-like profile is somewhat overdone. I guess they needed to go edgy compared to the rather conservative 3rd gen... but the headlights are a step backwards from the rather attractive L-shaped lights on the previous car. I would be hoping, personally, for something more Lexus-like in terms of lighting fixtures.

I question why Toyota thought taking styling queues from one of their greatest and fastest cars ever and put it toward one of the slowest most boring cars ever...

My issue with the Prius is that the headlight treatment looks... cheap... and the rising belt-line used to create the illusion of a coupe-like profile is somewhat overdone. I guess they needed to go edgy compared to the rather conservative 3rd gen... but the headlights are a step backwards from the rather attractive L-shaped lights on the previous car. I would be hoping, personally, for something more Lexus-like in terms of lighting fixtures.
Again, I think it's a shame it's not a little more like the NS4. They'd probably have to compromise a little to get the car into the right size class, but I can't understand why they chose self-consciously weird over something a bit more elegant and classy.

Intrigued to see what Lexus' version will look like. I always quite liked the CT 200h, which is another car many found ugly.

The CT200H is probably the last good looking car Toyota has made(well Lexus in General seems to of kept their styling dignified).

It seems as though Toyota are trying to fix their bland image by attacking the styling of their cars with zero vision what so ever.

I honestly think this is the worst looking car in the history. I challenge you to show me a worse one from an actual manufacturer.

I cant decide which one is worse...

grp-gridimage-ddf7bf.jpg

The Aztek would win a beauty cont3st next to these two.

Okay... seeing it from different angles, I can safely say:

That's a whole lot worse than the Gen 3.

Humongous black cheater panels. Lines that disappear halfway down the body for no good reason. Lines and curves that neither complement or contrast each other (the wheel-well to fender-crease relationships at the lower margins of the head- and tail-lights are especially atrocious) and that lazy greenhouse baseline that simply rises to the rear with no sense of speed or style. Could they not have just put a curved baseline, or a kink there?

If I was a Toyota executive and the design team brought those images to me, I'd either burst out laughing or shout "Are you kidding me?!" Good god this car is horrendous. I'm not looking forward to seeing this on the road, but then again, I can't say I liked any of the past versions.

:yuck:

One thing I want to know is why does every single hybrid-only car (Prius, Insight, CR-Z, etc) have that horizontal pillar going through the rear window? That looks like it significantly reduces your visibility in your rear-view mirror. I would gladly give up aerodynamics for visibility.

One thing I want to know is why does every single hybrid-only car (Prius, Insight, CR-Z, etc) have that horizontal pillar going through the rear window? That looks like it significantly reduces your visibility in your rear-view mirror. I would gladly give up aerodynamics for visibility.

Rear Visibility must be awful.

"Proportions."

I don't know, I actually like the look of those when it's made to look like it's just one window. But I guess it has something to do with making the car look more aerodynamically economical, and the CRZ simply ripped it off of the CR-X which had one too.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure ugly is the right word considering no one has ever...well, praised it highly for its looks.

There is simply not a single angle that is even remotely pleasant to look at...

I want to give it a chance.
I did.
I tried.
I failed.

The more i look at it, the more i want to take a baseball bat and do things to it... WAC IT like a Pinada.

gOD it is UGLY!!!

The PR photo almost for a split second gave me a wink....

I dont know if and how i can survive looking at it in the street.... Especially while driving next to it, or worse yet behind it...

God forbid.

I feel nausea already just thinking bout it.

People.. What are we going to do???
Dint we have any saying it this???
Please everyone... Dont buy these thing....

Its the work of the Devil.
Can we at least vote?
Why oh why...

I regret saying the Aztek was ugly.... The Aztek is nothing compared to this.

I really hope Toyota is joking with us here.

I'd Much prefer the days when, not too long ago Toyota were bland and inoffensive...

Where do they get inspirations from??
predators? Horror movies?... Atomic Mutants?!

I am done here... I have no more to say.... I hate Priuses even more now.

They will be my targets on the road, and i will have alibi and reasons...

Last edited:
Surely I'm not the only one looking at that going... doodly doodly doodly...

upload_2015-9-9_12-15-18.png

Toyota, hire me.

They've got to meet an aero profile as close as possible to the perfect teardrop. Letting the roof drop any more steeply than that produces a lot of turbulence and drag where the air separates from the roof.

On non-hybrid sedans, you can hide this simply because of the longer tail and because the rear windscreen doesn't visually register as part of the roofline. (Well... theoretically)

How bad the visibility is depends entirely on the car. My first-gen Insight has it too, but because the car is low, you get a perfectly good view out of the top part of the screen. And the divide in the middle is perfectly placed to blank out the headlights of tailgating cars...

"I would gladly give up aerodynamics for visibility" is a bit of a mushy statement though. Arguably the visibility that matters most is out the front and side windows first, followed by over-the-shoulder (since it's much more dangerous passing than it is to be followed by something), and then out the back. Provided your rear view isn't blocked entirely (which it isn't in those cars with divided windows), there's little wrong with biasing that area of the car towards aero.

Unless of course your real objection is styling and you're trying to dress it up in practicality concerns... in which case, different strokes for different folks I guess. But then I've always quite liked that look (since seeing it on the 2nd-gen CRX), and I've owned and driven several cars with that window arrangement without issue.

So, we're getting improvements in the interior, but they make the exterior look worse. Can't we just have both things?

I never understood Toyota anyways why they have to make the Prius to stand out in such a negative way. I personally found the Gen 3 to be quite good-looking actually and they throw it out of the window with..... this?!

Oh well, I guess Toyota knows anyway that they're going to sell these cars like fresh bread to the pseudo-enviromentalist and celebs.

10/10 best design ever -PewDiePie

You know what? ...it actually doesn't look terrible in orange. Hmm... I usually associated Prius with a white color, looks like this gen. will be orange. I wonder what other colors it will have.
I like the rear lights though.

Back