2017 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand PrixFormula 1 

Congratulations to the race winner, Carlos Sainz!

Lewis Hamilton will see the checkered flag after Wehrlein, who is twelfth.

Does that make him thirteenth?

This whole big story about the Mercedes wheel base being longer... I'm just so sick and tired of it. It's not even a foot longer. It's not gonna change how they drive THAT much.
It's half a foot longer in the Mercedes than the Ferrari, and the Williams is the shortest, 9 inches shorter than the Mercedes.

For a quick comparison it makes the footprint of the Mercedes 75.2% of the car's length, but the Ferrari is 73.8% and the Williams is 70.9%.

It significantly affects the strength of the polar moment. Imagine having a breaker bar that's 2.8ft long, and how much more torque you could apply if it was 3ft long.

It makes the Mercedes harder to turn on purpose (on every one of the 800 corners a race) and more resistant to turning accidentally. More effort is required to turn it, rising as the corner tightens, and less to keep it in a straight line - so it wastes less power through lateral forces on the tyres.

Which is why the Mercedes is better on open tracks, and Ferrari and Red Bull make the difference up on tighter ones.

It's half a foot longer in the Mercedes than the Ferrari, and the Williams is the shortest, 9 inches shorter than the Mercedes.

For a quick comparison it makes the footprint of the Mercedes 75.2% of the car's length, but the Ferrari is 73.8% and the Williams is 70.9%.

It significantly affects the strength of the polar moment. Imagine having a breaker bar that's 2.8ft long, and how much more torque you could apply if it was 3ft long.

It makes the Mercedes harder to turn on purpose (on every one of the 800 corners a race) and more resistant to turning accidentally. More effort is required to turn it, rising as the corner tightens, and less to keep it in a straight line - so it wastes less power through lateral forces on the tyres.

Which is why the Mercedes is better on open tracks, and Ferrari and Red Bull make the difference up on tighter ones.
You say the word "more" but I honestly feel if it was able to be quantified it wouldn't be that much. I'm not saying it's negligible but it's certainly not as big of a thing as commentators make it out to be. I think they're doing better than all the teams on open tracks because they are also better with downforce and simply have more power. Both proven facts.

I wonder why Red Bull hasn't really made up that difference today though.

And about my retirement comment, we have now passed that with Hulkenberg making 8 retirements. Wow...

I love how Channel 4 are talking about what a masterpiece of a drive it was, when if this race has been the snoozefest it was supposed to be he would have finished 4th at best.

I love how Channel 4 are talking about what a masterpiece of a drive it was, when if this race has been the snoozefest it was supposed to be he would have finished 4th at best.
Except we thought Mercs had no chance against RBRs before the race start and yet if it wasnt for all the safety cars Lewis would be about 30 seconds ahead of Daniel.

so ure pro pollution i take it? Not fond of breathable air?

Everybody knows going vegan is the latest celebrity trend, in order to portray themselves as eco friendly. Hamilton is just jumping on the bandwagon.
Calling out this with a bit of sarcasm isn't the same as wanting the earth to die.

Everybody knows going vegan is the latest celebrity trend, in order to portray themselves as eco friendly. Hamilton is just jumping on the bandwagon.
How do you figure that? You can read his mind now?
Calling out this with a bit of sarcasm isn't the same as wanting the earth to die.
Yea i get that people don't like Hamilton and will pick on anything he says, but sometimes it just makes very little sense.
i.e. calling him out on his private plane - makes sense, calling him out because there are fireworks after an F1 race... what?

so ure pro pollution i take it? Not fond of breathable air?
I presume you've just finished watching the event where 10 companies have flown thousands of people and thousands of tonnes of cargo over 8,000 miles to burn another 2,000 gallons of fuel to find out that the guy who wants to avoid damaging the planet is the quickest when three quicker people crash into each other?

You say the word "more" but I honestly feel if it was able to be quantified it wouldn't be that much.
You can quantify it.

How far ahead of Vettel on one lap pace was Hamilton at Monza? How far ahead was Vettel on on lap pace at Singapore?

The difference there is 3.2%. There are other factors, but the Mercedes' extra 1.4% of footprint is a direct contributor. It brings stability by resisting turning forces at the expense of manoeuvrability by resisting turning forces.

It's because he seems to think that not eating any meat or dairy will close the hole in the ozone but forgets that his car does 5mpg.

Back