2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
So I was watching Stadium Super Trucks and saw a "Hamilton Jr" racing, and being bored I decided to see what Bobby Jr.'s been doing (the answer is being sued many times), then nostalgia kicked over and I got to looking at Bobby Sr. I'd forgotten he was one of the drivers to win in all three national series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_drivers_who_have_won_in_each_of_top_three_series

Along with the 27 who've done it, there's lists for those with wins in two series and those with championships in two series. How is it no one's won all three titles yet? Especially Kyle Busch?

Closest as far as I know (from recent memory) was Greg Biffle; his best shot was in 2006, where I believe he finished 2nd to Tony Stewart in the final standings.

Kyle's never ran a full season in the trucks.

Next time his contract runs out, Kyle should spend a year driving one of his trucks full time and get that title.

In 2005, Edwards nearly won the Truck title, and in 2005, 2011 and 2016, he nearly won the Cup title. He would have become the first to win a title in all three series.

I'm suprised that Bobby Labonte decided not to run trucks this year. I would have liked to see him contend for the NCWTS title ala Ron Hornaday. What is Labonte up to these days?

The only active driver that could get all three titles would be Austin Dillon, unless Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch decide to race full time in the truck series at the end of their careers.

I thought for sure Erik Jones was going to get the Xfinity title last year. Add that to his truck title the year before, and he would have had a whole career to grab a Cup championship.

Alas, Cole Whitt had other plans...

It's interesting to think of what could be and what could have been.

In 2005, Edwards nearly won the Truck title, and in 2005, 2011 and 2016, he nearly won the Cup title. He would have become the first to win a title in all three series.
Ahh 2005. Ted Musgrave finally wins the title, as of yet the only "#1" to ever win a NASCAR national title, for Ultra Motorsports who were an original Truck Series team...just in time to watch it all come crashing down.

Biffle was the guy separating Stewart and Edwards on the Cup side that year too, so @FireEmblem10 was very close.

I'm suprised that Bobby Labonte decided not to run trucks this year. I would have liked to see him contend for the NCWTS title ala Ron Hornaday. What is Labonte up to these days?

He's doing the analyst thing for FS1's RaceHub now. I would love to see him race a truck...I wonder if he's on good terms with JGR still?

The only active driver that could get all three titles would be Austin Dillon, unless Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch decide to race full time in the truck series at the end of their careers.

As well as the spawn of Mr. Ed, can't forget about him.

Big crash in the xfinity race with 5 laps to go in stage one. They red flagged the race. Looks like they're trying to finish the stage under green.

Edit: 2 laps under green to end stage 1 and it goes to Almirola.

Last edited:
Big crash with one to go in stage 2 when Almirola made contact with Reed and Reed spun in front of the field. Justin Allgaier wins stage 2.

Wallace Jr. Got spun on the backstraight and hit the inside wall with the driver side of his car really hard. Aric Almirola wins at Talladega!

Even if it was Almirola?

Perhaps it's unfair, but can we say he's the new Michael Waltrip on-track?

Edit: Not antics, but results. Does decently at plate tracks but anywhere else it's suspect.

Oi, you talking smack on my boy? :P He does well at Martinsville and Dover pretty consistently, sometimes Bristol, and he's usually good for a pole each year. I'd say he's probably getting the best he can out of Petty's equipment but I can't say for this year as I've not been watching. I'd really like to see him in a top dollar car to see how well he can actually do, too bad JGR screwed him out of a win way back in Milwaukee when Denny wanted to drive.

too bad JGR screwed him out of a win way back in Milwaukee when Denny wanted to drive.

That event lays at the feet of Rockwell, who wanted Denny in the car instead.

The ugly side of sponsorship was shown that day for Almirola.

Today I learned that Talladega's bankings are exactly 6 Micheal Waltrips tall.

2 to go, DEFCON 2.

EDIT: Then they go single file...

E2: Kes wins stage, something wrong with Kenseth. Guessing from the throttle graphic, he can't get it in 3rd or 4th.

Seems like most of the drivers were intent on surviving to the end instead of trying to rack up every point they can get early in the first stage.

Caution out after last place, 10 lap down, no where near the lead pack Reed Sorensen Blew a tire in the tri-oval.

Back