2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Actually, this might be true! Four quarters!
Maybe there should also be extended halftime? The girls could come out on stage and dance and perform under the lights and fireworks!

The drivers could huddle with their teams, and the mechanics could repair battered cars!

Heaven on Earth for attention-deficited millennials. The future of NASCAR is SAVED! Oh, the joy.

Don't forget Actual Overtime!

"Your favorite driver didn't win? well, let's rack 'em up again, shall we?"

Jokes aside, besides the cautions, I don't understand the hate with the stages. Sure, it's not one prolonged race anymore, it can factor in more strategy, and it actually makes me want to watch the middle part of the race. Instead of just tuning in for the start, and last fifty laps, theresl's a reason to watch it now.

Don't get me wrong, the Chase and points system are both still convoluted as all get out, but it's not all horrible.

Just do what IMSA does: award points at specific points in the race, but don't stop the race itself.

I'm still not a fan of the segments, so to me all this is gonna do is add another 45 minutes to the 600. The forged cautions are absolute BS, those laps counting is more BS, and then there's all the ***-kissing FOX has been doing. I have lost count how many times they've slobbered all over this **** saying "I've never seen them race like this" or "You can't lay back" and I shout back "BULL****!" The Texas race was slightly better than it had been, I'm fairly certain teams have been giving up segment points so they can win the the race...you know, the ENTIRE ******* REASON THEY SHOW UP! Talladega might have been the only race significantly changed from years past, the 400 at Daytona will likely be the same, because there weren't extended periods of one-track trains, and even then DW claimed "not once were they single file", maybe not 15th and back, but I clearly saw the leaders get in line a few times, just not for 30+ laps like ye old days.

I also now fully feel that the points awarded after segments are to pacify whiny owner, drivers, teams, and fans of a guy who lead 80% of the race but then fell out of the top 5 at the finish, which is also BS. Toyota didn't get **** when they broke at LeMans, and that car went for almost 24 hours, you get no sympathy here. You want a safety blanket, make the races 50 laps then go home, that way the magpie millennials NASCAR so desperately want to appeal to are also catered to...I could go on ranting, but I'll stop there.

Another segment? No, just no.

First off, can anyone actually remember who won a segment from more than a race ago? Second, I get the sensation the races are longer than before, which is counter to what NASCAR has been trying to do by cutting down the distances. I already get enough yapping pre-race. Why give them more chances to do so in between segments? Third, strategy has taken a toll since everyone knows when a caution is going to fly. It's even worse in the lower series to where you don't even have to pit within the segment at certain tracks. Last, I bet they'll make another change that will somehow make things even worse.

I can already tell I'm tuning out of NASCAR. Last weekend, I made sure to get up super early to watch F1 and somehow forgot that the Kansas race was on Saturday night.

First off, can anyone actually remember who won a segment from more than a race ago? Second, I get the sensation the races are longer than before, which is counter to what NASCAR has been trying to do by cutting down the distances. I already get enough yapping pre-race. Why give them more chances to do so in between segments? Third, strategy has taken a toll since everyone knows when a caution is going to fly. It's even worse in the lower series to where you don't even have to pit within the segment at certain tracks. Last, I bet they'll make another change that will somehow make things even worse.

I can already tell I'm tuning out of NASCAR. Last weekend, I made sure to get up super early to watch F1 and somehow forgot that the Kansas race was on Saturday night.
It is in fact making the races longer. Kind of a good thing if I'm doing something during the day but care enough about the race (like Talladega) to watch it. However, if I'm at home all day and it's a 1.5 miler and I just want quick filler before NHRA races it's kind of a pain to keep track of the monotony. It's basically NASCAR admitting that their races are basically nothing but expensive filler, like cable TV movies. That's not going to get you a new audience. They should start looking to how the GRC does their races.

817kRIWSahq12kQmaYoz_i7e4lUBq2YjT0xzAnjlLTs-1.jpg

Name me a more ICONIC paint scheme than this. I'll wait....

I would have rather NASCAR had gone with timed events. At least it wouldn't have been as absurd as this stage racing nonsense. What Brian France doesn't know nor care about is that some fans actually LIKE green-flag pit stops. But knowing Brian France, I won't be surprised if things change again, worse than before.

It sure would have been an interesting what-if if Edwards was the sub.

Edwards is still technically under contract with JGR and Toyota pretty sure. If something happens to Busch, Hamlin, Kenseth or Suarez I'm sure he would be the replacement driver for any JGR team.

I know this is a crappy thought, but is it possible that Biffle leaving Roush may have ended up working out for the better? At least for Roush, I've not seen Biff on TV yet.

I know this is a crappy thought, but is it possible that Biffle leaving Roush may have ended up working out for the better? At least for Roush, I've not seen Biff on TV yet.

I wouldn't say its a crappy thought. Maybe them going down to 2 cars was much less taxing on their resources and has allowed them to do more with their cars then they could before.

As for Biffle, he's on "NASCAR America".

Last edited:
It was sort of exciting for a couple laps near the end of stage 2 with Crafton and...uh...I can't even remember who he was racing with for the lead before Busch took it 3 wide and that was that.

Still making a big deal about Cup drivers in the lower series. What's the point, Its not like the All-Star race will be better now that there is an unnecessary 4th segment. Seriously, first the entire schedule now basically has the All-Star race format and then they decide to kill the unique nature even more by adding another segment.

Also, turns out I'm wrong as There is some actual interesting racing from Nascar: K&N Pro Series. Why? Because it hasn't been touched. And for those still having issues with Cup drivers in lower series, there are none here (though expect to hear some familiar last names).

I would definitely like to check out some of the K&N Pro Series races. But I wish that they were live-streamed somewhere.

I can't remember if they did this last year, but I really don't like how the stage winners in the open get into the All Star race, and don't have to finish the open. Clint bowyer wins stage 1 and goes straight to the garage.

I don't like that at all.

Edit: Why is Carl Long still allowed on track? He's way off the pace and is causing problems for passing traffic.

Edit: Blaney wins stage 2 and is in the All Star race.

Last edited:
Suarez will advance to the All Star race.

Edit: Chase Elliott wins the fan vote.

Back